Crashed Two Inspires in 24 hours...
1249 16 2016-11-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
clarkmcc
lvl.1

United States

So as the title implies, I crashed two Inspires in the last 24 hours. One is totaled as it slammed into an office tower during a shoot yesterday about 1/4 mile from the transmitter and the other has a broken leg as it took a dive into some trees about 150M away from the transmitter during a nature shoot. Both happened after the aircraft randomly "disconnected" and tried to return home, only to be stopped by the crap ton of obstacles in the way. I was using my iPhone 5 as a device when both of these issues happened, however, what is interesting is that I flew with an iPad Air 350M away and out of line of site with no issues. Looking at this thread, I think I'm suffering from this issue http://forum.dji.com/thread-51313-1-1.html

I've been flying for 5 years now with no issues. What's going on with DJI right now because I'm out $6,000 in 24 hours.
2016-11-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry for your crash, clarkmcc.
Since iPhone 5 is not in our device recommended list, it may be incompatible with DJI GO app.
Did you contact our tech support and send it in for fixing?
2016-11-23
Use props
clarkmcc
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-11-23 20:41
Sorry for your crash, clarkmcc.
Since iPhone 5 is not in our device recommended list, it may be inco ...

Well it clearly installs fine and I've flown for a year on it no problem. I believe this was the first flight off the new FW update. Yeah support has been contacted
2016-11-23
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

Other users are reporting that they get a device not compatible popups.  I your iPhone a 5S?
2016-11-24
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Did you have you RTH height set at an appropriate level ?  

Sorry for the crashes, thats gotta suck loosin 2 within 24 hours . The system just might have received some type of interference and was doing what it was programmed to do .  If the RTH was not set appropriatly then I guess the blame  would be on you .  I can not say for certain as I was not there, get the data to DJI and if it something on there end maybe they  can help you out.
Once again sorry for the crashes .

donnie
2016-11-24
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

I wouldn't say he's to blame just yet.  Perhaps something did fail, and the result was the RTH.  However, going forward, examining your environment and setting a good RTH height before flight would be a good idea.  I know that we all get in a rush and launch as soon as we can.  I'm guilty of not always setting a good home point.  That will surely come back to bite me if I don't start following my pre-flight check.
2016-11-24
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

GabeZ Posted at 2016-11-24 20:05
I wouldn't say he's to blame just yet.  Perhaps something did fail, and the result was the RTH.  How ...

If the RTH was not set properly and he smashed into a building , I would say that would be user error .  Now if he had the height set properly above any obstacle  and it still crashed into a building , then I would say Not his fault .  Just have to wait and see what the OP has to say bout that .
*****With the new FW he may not have checked his RTH height as it sometimes gets  deleted or reset to default  .  I always go through ALL my settings after an update for just such a reason .  

donnie
2016-11-25
Use props
fansbe491d01
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423930 ft
United States

One would think that a person flying for 5 years should know better than to fly out of visual line of sight, ever, period. These aircraft aren't Air Hogs! Crash once, you better step back and really, really think about what just happened. Two crashes and you better go back and practice with you're Air Hog !
2016-11-25
Use props
clarkmcc
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-11-24 07:42
Other users are reporting that they get a device not compatible popups.  I your iPhone a 5S?

Never got one of those. Just a 5. Will be using an iPad from now on lol
2016-11-25
Use props
clarkmcc
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-24 08:15
Did you have you RTH height set at an appropriate level ?  

Sorry for the crashes, thats gotta suck ...

I'll check but I believe it's set to fly up 20 meters but we were higher than 65 feet so I don't think it was triggered. Considering it's the default shipped there shouldn't be any user fault there correct?
2016-11-25
Use props
clarkmcc
lvl.1

United States

Donnie Posted at 2016-11-25 10:56
If the RTH was not set properly and he smashed into a building , I would say that would be user err ...

RTH was default. Is that user error? Looking back the most logical FS mode would've been just to land wherever it was.
2016-11-25
Use props
clarkmcc
lvl.1

United States

fansbe491d01 Posted at 2016-11-25 13:13
One would think that a person flying for 5 years should know better than to fly out of visual line o ...

It was in visual line of sight until we lost connection. That's what's weird, we shouldn't have lost connection, looks like it's a common fault with certain devices.
2016-11-25
Use props
clarkmcc
lvl.1

United States

Got a hold of DJI, looks like they're going to take care of repairs but we'll have to see how that goes.

Thanks for the help everyone!
2016-11-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

clarkmcc Posted at 2016-11-26 05:31
Got a hold of DJI, looks like they're going to take care of repairs but we'll have to see how that g ...

Good to hear you're starting to get this addressed with the Support team. Just to keep in mind that there are a lot of interference capabilities when flying around office buildings. While the default 20m is normally good for normal flying, it is up to the user to adjust the RTH height to their surrounding environment to ensure it has enough clearance to come back in any circumstance. There are other options to have the unit self land or just hover instead of coming back to the home point, but that has to be set by you.

When the aircrafts are received by the repair facility, they will be able to review the flight data in order to confirm whether this was caused by an internal issue. If it was not, then they will let you know prior to performing any repairs.
2016-11-25
Use props
RearViewMirror
lvl.3
United States

clarkmcc Posted at 2016-11-25 15:28
RTH was default. Is that user error? Looking back the most logical FS mode would've been just to l ...

Yes, I would say that is user error. Sorry for your crashes as that has to hurt. But if you didn't manually set the RTH elevation before taking off to match your surroundings then the blame unfortunately lies with you I'm afraid.  That is always part of any preflight checklist. Never ever assume it is set correctly.
2016-11-25
Use props
flighttime1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 906352 ft
United States

I'm not sure why most don't set the RTH at 50M or above which should get you over most objects and avoid having to set it for individual flights. If you are running low on battery it's going to avoid that height and just land where it is and if your battery level is fine, it will take a few more seconds to get back to the take off point, which, gives you more time to try and figure out the problem. Common sense to me.
2016-11-25
Use props
Donnie
Second Officer
United States

clarkmcc Posted at 2016-11-25 15:28
RTH was default. Is that user error? Looking back the most logical FS mode would've been just to l ...

"RTH was default. Is that user error?"

If it did not fit the needs for the current flight conditions - it sure is .

You must gatherer all the data, From what I have read , It would seem to me like user error ,BUT  I was not there and dont have  all the data at my disposal .  If  the aircraft for whatever reason caught some interference it is NOT the fault of DJI.  It just happens some time and you must be ready for it, they are not immune to interference and that is why the RTH,  and to me if set correctly , you would still have your aircraft.  I am not trying to be a git ( Prick- hard to get along with ) on your situation but I deal with this all the time in my business and it is hard to make calls  out of favor of the Customer, it would be so  much easier to tell the customer that all situations are covered but you  cannot stay in businss if you do .  
If DJI does find something that indicates a system failure  on their part caused the Crash and cover it - then great, but if not I think you can dislike the outcome but understand it just the same.

Best of luck regardless of cause, any crash sucks

good luck
donnie

donnie

2016-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules