Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Phantom 3 standard there a way to track my dog ?
2621 13 2016-11-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CIGANO
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3190472 ft
United Kingdom

Hello guys i have a Phantom 3 standard ,i havent had it long ,i want to know is there a way to track my dog ?
Thx Garry
2016-11-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

No. It will not do it.
2016-11-24
Use props
fans83f80a1e
lvl.3
Flight distance : 71739 ft
United States

Autopilot has the functionality to track an object, but I'm not sure it will work tracking something as small as a dog. I've used it to track a car successfully. The key is having the object have enough contrast versus the background.
2016-11-25
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249590 ft
United States

I don't think the P3S has the ability to track and object unless the object is carrying the remote.
2016-11-25
Use props
kerry0
lvl.1

United States

With Litchi you can use the Magic Leash app to track a second device... you could put a phone on your dog. With the Leash app. Litchi will track an object, I have not gotten it to work following me yet so I doubt it could follow a dog...
2016-11-25
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you follow the advice of some of the posts and use Litchi to follow your dog, make sure you fully know how to use the app and what to do in case there's an issue.
2016-11-25
Use props
Philly Phantom
lvl.3
Flight distance : 249590 ft
United States

If you can do it with the Litchi app then why doesn't DJI install that function in the Go App?  I'm weary about using a 3rd party app for my drone although i've heard great things about the Litchi app.  If they can do it and the P3S is capable then i dont see a reason DJI shouldn't install that function in their app.
2016-11-26
Use props
Kneepuck
Captain
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

tie a piece of meat to the Phantom and let the dog follow it, instead.
2016-11-26
Use props
CIGANO
lvl.2
United Kingdom

its probably only feature i wish it had
2016-11-26
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Kneepuck Posted at 2016-11-26 11:58
tie a piece of meat to the Phantom and let the dog follow it, instead.

I though they only did that to homely children, so the family dog would play with them? Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-11-26
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Russia

C'mon - the P3S is so budget machine and I think what we get for the money is not bad. If such functions were added - then what price ?

Nigel
2016-11-27
Use props
endotherm
Captain
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

There's an expensive way to do it if you want.  You can pair an external bluetooth receiver and use "follow me".  I have done it on an iPad with wifi only (no GPS fitted).  Normally follow-me tracks the GPS receiver in your phone/tablet, so it essentially follows you holding the remote control.  If you have an external GPS, it sends the co-ordinates to the device, which is relayed to the aircraft.  It will then track to the co-ordinates transmitted by the GPS unit, not the controller's position.  You would need to attach the GPS unit to the dog's collar or other harness.  I'm not sure of the bluetooth range (it is more than a few feet fortunately) but I'd suggest you need to be relatively close to the dog.  To work with Apple devices, the GPS unit needs to be WAAS enabled, and those units are upwards of $100.  I don't know if you can use it with Apple devices that have inbuilt GPS as you would need to disable this first, and use the external one.  I have not tried nor do I know if this method works with Android devices.  I use the Garmin GLO, but there are other types and manufacturers, e.g. BadElf.

Here is some video testing the tracking: skypixel .   Replace the person with your dog and I think this is what you are trying to achieve.
2016-11-27
Use props
CIGANO
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I am gonna use my Phantom 3 for now ,probably buy a mavic pro in the new year when they get some .
2016-12-6
Use props
Scott A
lvl.2
United States

CIGANO Posted at 2016-12-6 14:34
I am gonna use my Phantom 3 for now ,probably buy a mavic pro in the new year when they get some .

Litchi will track objects visually, but if your dog is fast or the lighting is bad, it might not keep up.
2016-12-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules