He's dead, Jim.
2763 36 2015-2-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

Happily flying along today, halfway through my second battery and hovering at 60 feet or so and doing some spins to get a nice panorama shot. At least one of the props stopped spinning and he dropped like a rock. Full up stick did nothing, including make any noise so I think all 4 motors quit. The good news is nothing was underneath it.. the bad news speaks for itself...

As you can see, all 4 props (what's left of them) are still attached. I was in GPS mode at the time with a great lock. I'd taken it out past 7800' about 15 minutes prior to this without issue.

16298942598_c8943262e0_z.jpg
2015-2-9
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

Can't saying anything else but that sux!!!!! Have you contacted DJI? Again sorry for your lose bro!!!

Mike
2015-2-9
Use props
djaunay
lvl.1

Australia

Could make some coin back on spare parts - there seems to be NO PARTS available anywhere....
2015-2-9
Use props
TravisSRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18326348 ft
  • >>>
United States

Holy crap man that sucks!  I wish you good luck with resolving this!
2015-2-9
Use props
dbeck.promobox
lvl.4

United States

Why does this keep happening?????
2015-2-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jim, you said that you had it out 7800' for 15 minutes before this happened.  Was that on the same pack?  If so what was your critical battery warning set at and where was the pack when this happened?
2015-2-9
Use props
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

Hi Ed,

It's Jeff, not Jim (everyone calls me Jim for some reason - weird). This wasn't the same pack. I'd replaced it with another back a few minutes earlier. I was at about 45% when this happened. There was no battery warning at all. Had it been a low battery it would have landed itself safely in any case, right?

I had it out to about 7800" for a few minutes about 15 minutes prior to this happening. Not the same flight. My warnings are set at 35% and 15%. I knew I was getting close hitting a warning so I was keeping it close by.
2015-2-9
Use props
Arctictern
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Same happened to me over the weekend. Inspire just dropped out of the sky no warnings or any sign of a problem before the incident. Dealer not interested and told to contact DJI directly. Sent email through and heard nothing back so far. I will be really interested to hear how your case turns out.
2015-2-9
Use props
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

Arc, I called DJI directly. They've asked me to send it in for inspection.
2015-2-9
Use props
ooilouis
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119062 ft
Singapore

Hope they can replace a new one for u
2015-2-9
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

jsmorse.email Posted at 2015-2-10 09:17
Hi Ed,

It's Jeff, not Jim (everyone calls me Jim for some reason - weird). This wasn't the same pac ...

35% and 15% it must be warm there mine at at 35% and 25% and you don't wanna be to far out at 25% in 30 degree weather as it won't be much longer before it's looking for a place to land......

Mike
2015-2-9
Use props
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

Mid 80s here today. As soon as it starts squaking at me to come home, I do. An extra couple of minutes aloft isn't worth what the picture above shows.
2015-2-9
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

What tablet and app version  was in use ?
2015-2-9
Use props
dennis.aerialpe
lvl.3
United States

If you do choose to sell parts I will buy your camera I got a dead on on my order and cannot get a replacement.
2015-2-9
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

How many flights did she fly,  prior to this??
Sorry to hear the news:/
2015-2-9
Use props
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

dennis, you don't want it. Pretty sure a 60ish foot fall onto concrete would do bad things to it. Thanks for the offer though.

Shaky - 40ish or so? I was on flight 3 today.
2015-2-9
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

jsmorse.email Posted at 2015-2-10 12:01
dennis, you don't want it. Pretty sure a 60ish foot fall onto concrete would do bad things to it. Th ...

Aww man. When did you get this bird??

And no warning, huh?
What kind of weather?

It's scaring me to put her up.
2015-2-9
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jeff and Arc, can you pull the Flight Log files off of the Inspire?  That would be helpful to analyze  what went wrong.  
2015-2-9
Use props
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

Jan 13th, shaky. Nope, was flying great and all of a sudden just dropped. Stick input did nothing at all. Ed, happy to. Can you point me to some instructions on how to do so?
2015-2-9
Use props
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

Tahoe-Ed - I've plugged into the usb jack under the cowl but I can't see the Inspire in the My Computer screen.
2015-2-9
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

jsmorse.email Posted at 2015-2-10 12:17
Tahoe-Ed - I've plugged into the usb jack under the cowl but I can't see the Inspire in the My Compu ...

Aww man. That sucks so bad.
And no high winds or anything of that matter?

This can't keep happening, I'm about to ground my bird for awhile..
2015-2-9
Use props
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

Hardly any wind at all. Beautiful day too - mid 80s or so.
2015-2-9
Use props
abe.abekleinfel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 524032 ft
  • >>>
United States

Everyone calls you Jim because of the title you chose for this thread, Dr. McCoy. Is there any chance that you did a CSC (combination stick command) by mistake while you were doing your spins?
2015-2-9
Use props
jsmorse.email
lvl.2

United States

Ah, the JIm thing makes sense. Sorry.

I was actually in a climb when it happened now that I look at the flight replay. At 125 feet it cut off.
2015-2-9
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Screw this im grounding mine again till new firmware is out flying my v2+

Man this just blows !! Sorry to see this ....Jeff hope they take care of you please keep us informed.
2015-2-9
Use props
shakyamunifilms
lvl.2

United States

jsmorse.email Posted at 2015-2-10 13:12
Ah, the JIm thing makes sense. Sorry.

I was actually in a climb when it happened now that I look at ...

Can you post the footage???

This is horrible.
2015-2-9
Use props
jsmorse.ca
lvl.2

United States

I was filming at the time, but the file is corrupted and I can't play it no matter what I try to open it with.
2015-2-9
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

I havent even flown this thing yet as I have been waiting four weeks for the IOS App and read all these issues with horror and disbelief.  Surely we are at a stage now that a serious accident is imminent and DJI need to nip things in the bud, ground their aircraft and resolve all issues expeditiously for the benefit of the UAV industry.  IF DJI allow this to escalate, legislation is where it will end and none of us on the forum wish that.  

2015-2-10
Use props
drick1804
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6371 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Just curious, with reports of fly aways and crashes and what have you, how do we know that all are genuine cases? Are there any proof that the inspire 1 really lost control and crash and it is due to technical fault and not user fault? Are there any validation done to all these reports?
I would hope so ....
It would suck badly if some cases reported in here are false claims.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure this thread is genuine.
I'm just saying: How do we know its a genuine one. One ponders......
2015-2-10
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

This is bloody pathetically beyond the joke!

But there is so many factors that could make this happen:
  • Bad connections
  • Low Battery
  • Prop Spin off
  • Bad Weather
  • Alien Attack
  • Remote Failure
  • Accidentaly pushing the wrong button/s
  • EMP Blast from the neighbour.
    So i think we need some serious answers!
    Just one thing though Of the Inspires that are doing a Swan dives into the ground...Are they the early models or Later models.
    It looks like the ones with the pattern this modle has are the ones going down (Just my observation) A or B what ever it is again

2015-2-10
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Captain Obvious Posted at 2015-2-10 17:43
This is bloody pathetically beyond the joke!

But there is so many factors that could make this happ ...

Cap,

May be it is the Aliens, may be they see DJI as a threat to world dominance.

Unless its North Korea hacking DJI
2015-2-10
Use props
christian
lvl.2

Germany

jsmorse.ca Posted at 2015-2-10 15:06
I was filming at the time, but the file is corrupted and I can't play it no matter what I try to ope ...

Hi Jeff, sorry to hear that. If you have access to a second INSPIRE, try to insert the sd-card and then make another short video (do a backup copy of the corrupted file first). This has fixed my corrupt file.

Otherwise try this service - it´s great and the guys really work fast and professional:
MP4repair

Cheers, Christian
2015-2-10
Use props
drick1804
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6371 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-10 17:29
DJI -  Ed Tahoe,

These are serious safety issues arising here together with other Fly Aways.  If th ...

GB44, when you mentioned "this is just starting to get alittle bit too often", just wondering whether do you have any concrete statistics to prove your claim? Statistics and evidence to show that the fallouts and failures are all due to the engineering fault of DJI? Without the proper statistics, it would be very irresponsible to point the finger squarely on DJI, let alone make demands of any sort.
As a forum reader and bystander that has no affiliation with the company, plus I own an inspire 1 myself, I just see so many negativities and demands being made in here. Is it really called for? Do you have all the facts to make such demands? If so, please lay it all on the table for us forum members to see. In the eyes of the law, without concrete evidence, the case gets thrown out before you can even say: My honor...  

What we want are facts...not fiction or sweeping statements that one makes.

I'm just a rationale forum member. That's all.

2015-2-10
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

drick1804 Posted at 2015-2-10 18:02
GB44, when you mentioned "this is just starting to get alittle bit too often", just wondering whet ...

I somewhat agree with what you are saying. Personally, I couldn't wait for the release of the IOS app, so bought a shield and went flying, without issues so far - touch wood. I don't think I could have waited 4 weeks with it just sitting in the case.

These crash and flyaway threads create a lot of interest and potentially negative response to DJI. It would be good if DJI actually published their findings after reading the logs. This could result in some embarrassment to those who suffered pilot error, but at least we would know whats going on.
2015-2-10
Use props
Captain Obvious
lvl.4

Australia

This whole Inspire 1 "Crashing thing" Is turning out like the infamous DJI S800 reports of unsafe and "Flip off deaths"
all over the place.
Could these two systems be based on the same hardware?.. Not saying they are but who know's.
2015-2-10
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Drick,

Ok I have removed some content from my previous post so that I don’t offend anyone or make suggestions that may turn out to be written in a way that could be interpreted wrongly.

If you seek information on these alleged incidents, read all the historic posts on the forum and make your own opinion, but please direct your accusations at those members who have personally experienced the fly-aways, their aircraft falling out of the sky or hitting the ground, they are the ones experiencing the alleged loss, mishaps and misfortune.

I am simply a guy here who like yourself owns an Inspire, and reads reports of accidents, mishaps, fly-aways, call them what you want, but forum members are raising these alleged incidents and they seem to be increasing.   From props coming off, aircraft flying into garages, fly-aways and just dropping out the sky, so make you own assumptions.  

As a UAV Pilot should I or anyone else be expected to remain silent, or dismiss such events when all we seek is the confidence to fly safely.  We just seek the information that will provide the assurance that these reported events, logs etc. have been reviewed by the manufacturer and what the findings are.  From what is on the forum, those Pilots reporting incidents are fully cooperating and indeed providing DJI with flight logs and assisting as much as possible to understand the cause and effect of these alleged events etc. for everyone’s benefit.

As a Customer and Inspire owner, all that is sought is openness, clarity and assurances that there isn’t some underlying technical issue that may be causing these aircraft to do things the Operators clearly don’t want them to do.  

Not much to ask really, just some honest direction and guidance from the manufacturer.  No one would want an accident to occur through ignorance or lack of reporting the findings expeditiously.

And no I am not negative towards DJI.  They have created a fantastic product that is globally recognised.  They have also demonstrated they can where necessary react quickly to safety matters and manufacture items to address technical problems, as seen with the prop locks.   I just ask that DJI advise and guide us accordingly and expedite any technical reviews that are currently being undertaken.
2015-2-10
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

drick1804 Posted at 2015-2-10 17:42
Just curious, with reports of fly aways and crashes and what have you, how do we know that all are g ...

Funny Ive been thinking this same thing as some of this data coming thru on this forum is a bit suspect at times..
I can see how someone wouldn't read the manual and thread the props on the wrong shafts and then claim they came off .Having a DJI product in the past will benefit you as a new I1 owner. BIG TIME!!!
Wondering how many that made claims of defects with the I1 have sent data to DJI? or if there was data to send at all I did notice DJI asking said persons in threads to send data logs and they received no response from the OP ..hmmm.

This Op's case in no way represents what looks to be pilot error. I wonder if by making radical stick movements he/OP shut down the motors in flight not for me to speculate as I feel bad seeing that pic of that bird destroyed on the ground with the new owner asking "what happened?"

There are common sense rules when flying  I did notice many not observing those said rules of flight.
For the life of me I haven't had any issues in  5 tests flights I have had with each battery .
Not a one!! Props tight after flight .Great Sat lock what more can I expect .

Like many I myself cant help but still question myself that's gotta stop and I need to just go for it..I cant help but feel bad for the OP here and his lose!!!!!!!

Abe gave great advice ,just take it slow and low for a while.

I'm running full android and I know this thing is rock solid as my schooling on this bad boy lots to review, its so worth it as when I flew it I was amazed at how docile it was and very fast!!
Flight conditions have been cold not over 35 degrees and each hover test and battery worked via fail safes set perfectly.
Love this thing its rock solid IMO and I think Im going to just go for it and trust my set up and knowledge via all the info here on this forum and its members.
Not saying all fly away issues and such are pilot error but that factor is a reality here as DJI seemed to send me a perfectly air worthy craft.
With something this new there is going to be supply and demand issues some hoped not as bad as it is currently ,but know they will have replacement parts available asap like they have done in the past. Just take a few months for them to catch up same as the phantom when it was released.

Im digging this Inspire 1 and haven't had an issue yet other than reading alot of unsuccessful reports from fellow owners.
Which I feel has many of us scratching our heads .

Never underestimate Kill joys from other forums leaking in here to taint this launch with false info.

I guess I'm cautious at best same as many others and soon we will all shake that mindset and trust the craft

2015-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules