first Mavic flight = Frequent disconnects battery failure
1020 3 2016-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DebianDog
lvl.1
Flight distance : 448632 ft
United States

I have been flying remote control aircraft since 2005, mostly helicopters, but I did build a F550 w/Naza V1 and a GoPro gimble a ferw years ago. I have a few hundred flights under my belt for sure and I guess my point is I am not toally unfamilar with this technology.  Last night I finally got my Mavic. I wanted to make sure everything was all ready for the morning.  Updated the DJI app (Androlid).  Went to the lastest firmare it prompted me for.  I calibrated the gimble just to see if it was level. took some test photos, etc. But when I tried to calibrate the controller sticks using this as a guide:

It just would not let me do it.   I was a bit concerned and with a quick internet search I found a thread here that said something to the effect of "should not be a problem".

MORNING! Flipped in and out of sports mode rapidly and calibrated compass. Took off to get a feel for the bird.  (Steady as a rock BTW)   Since I did not have too much room I put it in to Tripod mode and was just flying back and forth the the DJI app just disconnected.  Since I had not used a phone as a screen before I just assumed the app crashed.  Second flight was about the same except this time it was a full disconnect.  (Note: I was also seeing these disconnects the night before but assumed I was getting some type of interferance in the house) Luckily, before it almost hit, the house it went in to obstucal avoidance then auto-landed.  When it did land it showed I had stick errors - recalibrate.

Looking at the log it looks like I had multiple battery errors

When I took it back inside I got another battery and tried to recalibrate the IMU and it just hung for a while, second attempt worked.

I then attempted to recalibrate my controller and again it failed the first time then again the second time worked.

I am not going to use that battery again but I am very concerned.  Thoughts on what action I should take?

2016-11-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please clarify what mobile device you are using?
What's your current firmware version?
2016-11-28
Use props
DebianDog
lvl.1
United States

Nexus 6P

Well after my above actions, I went outside for test hover in a more open  area.  On the initial boot the aircraft went into RED status bar (Do Not  Fly) then it quick flashed something I could not read but it looked  like "Firmware not compatible".  It took about a minute then everything went GREEN (Ready to Fly).  I swapped batteries same thing occurred.   Battery error logged on both but it looked like a firmware update to the smart batteries to me.

Test hovers seemed fine there were no glitches or disconnects anywhere.

Took the aircraft back inside and downloaded the DJI Assistant 2 just to double check firmware versions.  So with the props off, re-ran the IMU calibration and then re-checked all the batteries to make sure they all  went "Ready to Fly" with no errors.

Went  back outside and it flew like a dream.  My "guess" is with the multiple  firmware upgrades to the aircraft and controller "something" got missed by either me or the software.  Not sure. However, I have decided that  after every firmware upgraded I will be re-calibrating the IMU and controller and if that does not go smoothly there will be no flying until the issues are resolved.

2016-11-28
Use props
DebianDog
lvl.1
United States

Well everything was going good there for quite a few flight but I got another battery error today.  It happened immediately after trying to live stream to facebook on my Nexus 6P All logs are synced if someone could help me out with this.  But it seems to me that somehow when the app crashes it causes a disconnect/RTH event.

2016-11-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules