Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic loses GPS fix with 15+ satellites [8 reports so far]
123Next >
20822 115 2016-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

I'm nervous to continue to fly mine. It seems like these issues are becoming more and more common.

COME ON DJI, give us some answers or let us know that you are taking steps to fix this problem. I have never encountered this problem with the Phantom 4.
2016-12-4
Use props
fansc4e05c9e
lvl.1

United States

Crashed my Mavic due to this issue today. Was not able to land after heavily drifting in strong wind.
Hopefully, DJI will be supportive during repair/replacement.
2016-12-5
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

fansc4e05c9e Posted at 2016-12-5 20:06
Crashed my Mavic due to this issue today. Was not able to land after heavily drifting in strong wind.
Hopefully, DJI will be supportive during repair/replacement.

Bad Luck. Were you in our did you switch to sports mode?
2016-12-5
Use props
Riplex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226125 ft
  • >>>
Germany

BudWalker Posted at 2016-12-4 17:54
The number of satellites was adequate throught the flight but there several intervals where gpsHealth dropped from 5 ( the max) to 1. This was the cause of the GPS issue.
There were a total of 5 intervals where gpsHealth dopped to 1. The first two caused a switch to ATTI from GPS_ATTI.

Here the DAT File:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At7S_45c7Dr--14TTtfq7OY9iPkn
2016-12-5
Use props
Raymondanton1
lvl.1

United States

MavicUser Posted at 2016-11-29 22:32
It's possible that switching to Sports mode is causing the TBE/drop to ATTI... See the post over at mavicpilots.com at: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/spooky-action-at-a-distance.1978/page-2#post-30253

I would suggest everyone stay off Sports mode for now..

This link is a great post.  Although I do not have super tech intellect, like the guy in the post, it does make sense and DJI should take a look at it.  

DJI Ken,  please have DJI look into this possible issue and related solution.

Thanks,

Ray
2016-12-5
Use props
Riplex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 226125 ft
  • >>>
Germany

No, i don´t switched to Sports Mode.
2016-12-5
Use props
BudWalker
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

Riplex Posted at 2016-12-5 17:26
Here the DAT File:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!At7S_45c7Dr--14TTtfq7OY9iPkn

This .DAT doesn't contain an actual flight. My guess is that it's the "flight" that gets created when you turn on the battery so you can connect to DJI Assistant 2. Take a look at the dates that DJI Assistant 2 atttaches to the FCs to pick the right one.

And, no need to compress it with RAR. Also, no need to include the Vision Module.
2016-12-5
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Riplex Posted at 2016-12-5 23:09
No, i don´t switched to Sports Mode.

No worries . My question was actually directed at fansc4e05c9e.  He said he was flying in strong wind and could not recover when it drifted away. May not have been a TBE at all and simply overwhelmed by wind strength. Switching to sport mode may have mitigated this situation by allowing extra pitch and airspeed allowing him to recover.
2016-12-5
Use props
deedjeeeye
lvl.2

Netherlands

generaltso Posted at 2016-11-30 15:51
I had this same issue.  I was able to land it in atti mode, but it was a challenge.  I did a chat with DJI support to see what they had to say.  The first thing they asked was if I did a compass calibration before the flight, and I told them I did not. They immediately stated that was definitely the cause of the problem and that you're supposed to do a compass calibration before EVERY flight. I challenged that, but they were adamant about the requirement.

I don't have any intention of calibrating the compass before every flight. It's somewhat worrisome that DJI is using that as a scapegoat for this issue though. Basically, they're saying that if you didn't calibrate the compass before the flight, and the Mavic switches to atti mode, it's pilot error.

No it's not always the compass it also can be the mighty KP index.
2016-12-5
Use props
MavicUser
lvl.3
Flight distance : 431417 ft
Canada

Raymondanton1 Posted at 2016-12-5 03:45
This link is a great post.  Although I do not have super tech intellect, like the guy in the post, it does make sense and DJI should take a look at it.  

DJI Ken,  please have DJI look into this possible issue and related solution.

There is an update on the link I posted previous.  Please see this link: http://mavicpilots.com/threads/s ... 8/page-3#post-30944

It's starting to look like a problem caused by high current draw rather than switching to Sports mode...
2016-12-5
Use props
creep
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6072713 ft
  • >>>
Russia

fansbe8cac99 Posted at 2016-12-4 13:55
Same problem here......

18+ Sats and then lost GPS and the Mavic switched to ATTI and started running the TBE.

I am have the same problem yesterday, and two days before

Screenshot_20161205-191414.png

Screenshot_20161205-191436.png

Screenshot_20161205-191613.png
2016-12-5
Use props
Drunken Drone 9
lvl.1
United States

The real problem is, you think your Mavic is one of the ones not affected by this problem, then after your 10th, 15th, or 20th flight, BOOM!!!...no GPS, compass error, ATTI mode. I'm not new to flying drones (vision 2, P3, mavic) but still consider myself a novice and have no idea what stick imputs to apply to correct a drone from toilet bowling (pause button did nothing). No amount of calibration is gonna fix this. I'm sure DJI is hard at work correcting this problem. But for now I suggest keeping your drone in LOS and in an area large enough to bring it down in ATTI MODE while toilet bowling. As for me, mine will be in it's original box hibernating for the winter, waiting hopefully for a firmware update that will restore my confidence.
2016-12-5
Use props
lucrousseau
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256654 ft
Canada

It's also happened to me this weekend after several flights with no incidents, i lose the GPS fix with 18 stats.
2016-12-5
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

New firmware released today http://forum.dji.com/thread-75057-1-1.html, lets hope this fixes this problem
2016-12-6
Use props
BrandonA614
lvl.2
Flight distance : 813593 ft
United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-12-6 12:27
New firmware released today http://forum.dji.com/thread-75057-1-1.html, lets hope this fixes this problem

That's great, but if it does, will DJI fix my Mavic for free since it crashed due to this problem. If the firmware does fix it, that almost seems like they determined there was actually an issue.
2016-12-6
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

So has this issue been fixed?
2016-12-12
Use props
fansae63899d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361188 ft
United States

cluc Posted at 2016-12-13 12:54
So has this issue been fixed?

They should have fixed it mainly with the newest firmware. Plus it vibrates now when it switches to ATTI mode.

I did not upgrade to that new firmware yet because of the many bad news...
2016-12-14
Use props
SectorDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

After around 6 short test flights.... i lost gps lock yetserday... and its drifting with the wind.

It was scary, and i was on course lock and since its a night time... cannot see the orientation.

So i flew and descend it slowly.. after a while i regain the gos lock again and landed it safely.

At that night, its packing time .. no more flying.  It was a killjoy...

Dji must fix this...

Is the fw 26 dec fixed it ?
2017-1-1
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Someone has already alluded to what the issue is here and there aint one,

GPS satellite counts is irrelevant to a point,  you need to go read about HDOP ands understand that just receiving the GPS satellite signal does not mean the data is good, HDOP is about separation of the satellites for be able to get a accurate fix.

also with whats likely to be a smaller GPS antenna located at the back of the craft its going to struggle to retain full lock especially in Sport mode

Nature of the beast because of size.
2017-1-1
Use props
fans45742f73
lvl.1

South Africa

I experienced this issue for the first time about 3 days ago and subsequently, it appears to be happening during every flight.
(Latest firmware with latest iOS versions of DJI Go and Litchi Apps. Experienced it the first time while flying with Litchi, but subsequently with DJI Go as well (not that I believe the app has anything to do with the issue.))
2017-1-2
Use props
SectorDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1114649 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Looks like DJI XXX gurus are silent on this issue !!

Are they just gonna sit down and wait for our drones to CRASH?
2017-1-2
Use props
fansfa72e3a4
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4281 ft
United States

I have the same issue. My new Mavic looses GPS and switches to ATTI mode with 17 satellites. Contacted support. They told me to do a factory reset and calibrate IMU.
2017-1-16
Use props
fansfa72e3a4
lvl.1
United States

Did anyone found a fix or workaround for this issue? If it's a firmware issue, did anyone try downgrading to previous, more stable, firmware... I just need to understand whether it's a firmware issue, or if there is a problem with my unit and I should ship it back.
2017-1-17
Use props
fansfa72e3a4
lvl.1
United States

While doing Factory reset just noticed that my Mavic came with v01.03.0300 version software. Yep. The latest version is v01.03.0200. So I got an unreleased version of firmware. I wonder if it has something to do with me GPS Signal loss issue. Sent Customer support an email. Waiting for their response.
2017-1-17
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

sanuk Posted at 2016-11-29 20:33
This whole matter suggests to me that DJI didn't really beta test the Mavic [hardware and software] widely enough before it was released.

Luckily for those of us stll waiting for Mavic delivery, there are now thousands of people out there who have paid to be Mavic bug testers.

like ive said before i strongly believe they never beta tested, and were the beta testers. why do we need to compass dance anyway? my phone doesnt need it? i had this ame issue once but it went away after a firmware update
2017-1-18
Use props
DannyForNina
lvl.1
United States

So far my DJI Support experience is the worst I've ever had. 2 of my emails are just being ignored. Chat support repeats mantra "factory reset and calibrate compass". When I tried to call on the phone, it dropped when I was number 2 in queue twice. On the third time I finally got to speak to someone and they promised to email me a link to open a repair ticket. I never got that email. And only when I contacted DJI Support on Twitter I got an answer to my question. I finally got a repair case opened, but I still haven't received a UPS label to ship my Mavic back, and it's been several hours.

It just feels like DJI is ignoring me. (((
2017-1-19
Use props
frankengels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2273796 ft
Belgium

Last week-end same issue with my Mavic, 15 Satellites and suddenly no GPS fix anymore.
Well, in reality, the fix came back 2 times for some seconds and lost again.
Flow back on ATTI (less comfortable but not an issue for me) landed; turned off and on again and all OK again.

Info:
Had this already with other drones and brands, where at least for one of them a solar flair seemed to be a probable explanation.
That's also why every drone pilot should have trained to fly on ATTI.

2017-1-19
Use props
Peut
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1761181 ft
Netherlands

Same issue twice so far. Longest loss of GPS fix was 20 seconds.

Screenshot_20170120-044447.png
2017-1-19
Use props
Peut
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1761181 ft
Netherlands

frankengels Posted at 2017-1-19 13:02
Last week-end same issue with my Mavic, 15 Satellites and suddenly no GPS fix anymore.
Well, in reality, the fix came back 2 times for some seconds and lost again.
Flow back on ATTI (less comfortable but not an issue for me) landed; turned off and on again and all OK again.

Agree on the ATTI training. Unfortunately the Mavic isn't able to manually be switched to ATTI.
2017-1-19
Use props
frankengels
lvl.4
Belgium

Peut Posted at 2017-1-19 19:52
Agree on the ATTI training. Unfortunately the Mavic isn't able to manually be switched to ATTI.

I agree this feature is in fact missing on the Mavic.
2017-1-19
Use props
TomaszS
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3175075 ft
Finland

Unfortunately, the newest firmware did not fix that issue, mine is switching to ATTI almost in every flight- I reported it to DJI but not reply yet.
I am not afraid in flying in ATTI so i will try to perform more tests suggested by @BudWalker and share the logs later for further analysis.

2017-1-19
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

generaltso Posted at 2016-11-30 06:51
I had this same issue.  I was able to land it in atti mode, but it was a challenge.  I did a chat with DJI support to see what they had to say.  The first thing they asked was if I did a compass calibration before the flight, and I told them I did not. They immediately stated that was definitely the cause of the problem and that you're supposed to do a compass calibration before EVERY flight. I challenged that, but they were adamant about the requirement.

I don't have any intention of calibrating the compass before every flight. It's somewhat worrisome that DJI is using that as a scapegoat for this issue though. Basically, they're saying that if you didn't calibrate the compass before the flight, and the Mavic switches to atti mode, it's pilot error.

That's non sense, the user manual prompts (page 50, top of the page) that you must  calibrate the compass ONLY when prompted!
2017-1-20
Use props
fans960b109d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791736 ft
New Zealand

Experianced it today....it dropped out had no feed....was a long way from home...had right stick error also while flying it back without video feed...have done controller calibration and a imu calibration...hopeing this is not a regular thing...anyone sorted this?
Screenshot_20170120-165856.png
Screenshot_20170120-182439.png
2017-1-20
Use props
fans960b109d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791736 ft
New Zealand

fansfa72e3a4 Posted at 2017-1-17 10:13
While doing Factory reset just noticed that my Mavic came with v01.03.0300 version software. Yep. The latest version is v01.03.0200. So I got an unreleased version of firmware. I wonder if it has something to do with me GPS Signal loss issue. Sent Customer support an email. Waiting for their response.

Did u get any reply in the end? I had it happen again today! Lost all connection with gps and it flew back on return to home...couldnt get video feed back while it landed right next to me :-/
2017-1-22
Use props
gan4ev.gmail
lvl.1
Flight distance : 77434 ft
  • >>>
Bulgaria

I have the same problem !
Almost every flight losing GPS signal
Can be from the cold weather?
2017-1-22
Use props
frankengels
lvl.4
Belgium

Hi all,

I had it also again this week-end.

For me it happened until now only on flights where I switched between Sport and Normal mode; never on flights with only Normal mode.
I have the impression that I can reproduce it when switching between modes.

I read in an other forum that if it happens an other switch between the modes would bring the GPS fix back.

2017-1-24
Use props
Alex SP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112549 ft
Brazil

All this reminds me of the old P2 and then P3 releases. Shortly after, a huge swarm of issues and bugs with the subsequent tsunami of complaints.

Yes we're beta testers, every early adopter is. The Mavic is, for all purposes, "all new tech": everything was scaled down to minimum size. It does take time and severe work from programmers to get heavy-fw-and-processing-dependant, super-advanced flying machines working flawlessly.

Plus the high degree of automacy and safety systems, and all the double-spec (IMU, GPS, compass, etc.) inside means more things to fail if something goes wrong. And it always does, to believe otherwise is to fool ourselves.

My favorite P3P, the oldest in my fleet at this time, still flying on 15-month-old FW is incredibly stable and reliable. It's smooth-flying as hell, never had any abnormal behavior that wasn't pilot caused (LOL yes I admit) when flown under the expected performance limits. And even above at times too. And despite a couple of crashes, one quite ugly! That's telling.

By the time DJI releases MP2 or P5 or whatever, ou Mavics should be working in a more reliable and stable and smooth manner. Maybe.
2017-1-24
Use props
Alex SP
lvl.2
Flight distance : 112549 ft
Brazil

P.S.: Coming from testing and owning other quads, hexas and whatnot and also a few DIY R/C aircrafts, I'd still pick DJI over any competitor. I'm not a fanboy much less an apologist, just that their tech is not from this planet (as is their customer service it seems LOL).
2017-1-24
Use props
fansbcbcf80d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2443947 ft
  • >>>
Russia

Same issue every flight!!! DJI Ken can you please answer and let me know are this gps issue and vps issue (i have both) going to be fixed with next FW release???
2017-1-29
Use props
Anilako
lvl.1
Flight distance : 133698 ft
Russia

Same thing. Got it first 1 month ago, and thought that it was because of cold or something like that. Today again. Now a bit afraid to fly..

2017-1-29
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules