Poor Photo Quality (too soft) with P4 (video are OK)
1629 22 2016-11-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
France

Hello,

Does anyone know what can happend on my P4.

- brand new P4
- I have no filter (UV, .. etc)
- The sharpness of the videos are good
- The photo are really bad comparing to my P3 ..; very soft. You loose a lot of details (trees for example)
- Outdoor : the same result, grass, trees are not sharp, the video still good..

perhaps this problem : http://forum.dji.com/thread-46445-1-1.html

link for original photo : the Photo :  https://we.tl/WwuzfEzNTw

The 4K screen (look at the ridge) : https://we.tl/nzYGlJSYFb

many thanks

2016-11-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Can you post some example images via dropbox etc ?

There is a UV filter fitted as standard on the P4, it can be replaced with Various others if needed.

Which image format are you using, and what colour settings ?

2016-11-27
Use props
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
France

Dlog   -2 -2 -2

I've just taken my P4 out of the box.

On my P3, it's perfect.

The videos are OK, so the filter is not the pb.

When I look at the "live streaming", in video mode, the live is nice. In live streaming, photo mode, it shows a poor quality : too soft ..

2016-11-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dlog will need post processing by default, and you're softening it by pulling the sharpness down (-2).

What does it look like with all set to 0 ?
2016-11-27
Use props
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
France

The photo is bad ... really.
2016-11-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

You cannot judge a shot taken inside, it is probably inside the minimum focal distance, take it ouitside for a shot.
2016-11-27
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please check the image in the SD card and upload the original image to dropbox then send me the link?
I'll help to check it.
2016-11-27
Use props
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
France

this is the same outside . We loose a lot of details.

This is not because of the minimum distance of the focal (10 meters in the photo I've posted)

The video is good and the photo are too soft.
2016-11-27
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fanse25e50b1 Posted at 2016-11-28 08:26
The photo is bad ... really.

You've probably chosen the worst possible way to test for image quality of an aerial camera.
Take your Phantom outdoors and shoot a well lit subject much further from the camera and come back with examples.
2016-11-27
Use props
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
France

Labroides Posted at 2016-11-28 08:23
You've probably chosen the worst possible way to test for image quality of an aerial camera.
Take  ...

Outdoor it's the same ... the video are better than photo. Dosen't matter where you test it.

It's not normal that the sharpness of the video is better that the 12.4 Mpx photo ..
2016-11-27
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fanse25e50b1 Posted at 2016-11-28 18:41
Outdoor it's the same ... the video are better than photo. Dosen't matter where you test it.

It's ...

'It's not normal that the sharpness of the video is better that the 12.4 Mpx photo ..'

Yes, it can be depending upon what you display them on. If the display is not capable of displaying the full sized still photo, and many displays cannot, then it will perform image interpolation and this can often end up with lower apparent resolution.

And presenting us with a cropped picture does not allow anyone to judge the real capability of your camera. As has already been said, take a shot outdoors and then post the original, not an edited image, on dropbox.
2016-11-27
Use props
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
France

link for original photo : the Photo :  https://we.tl/WwuzfEzNTw

The 4K screen (look at the ridge) : https://we.tl/nzYGlJSYFb
2016-11-28
Use props
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
France

The question is, How the video can be better than photos ??

All the parameters are origin and the live stream should show the same image in video or photo mode .. This is not the case

... Very disappointed
2016-11-28
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fanse25e50b1 Posted at 2016-11-28 09:43

All the parameters are origin and the  ...

Have you tried switching off 3D Noise Reduction ?
2016-11-28
Use props
fanse738e7a9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 56585 ft
Latvia

I have the  same problem. When i shoot ir RAW everything is fine
2016-11-28
Use props
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
Italy

fanse738e7a9 Posted at 2016-11-28 19:41
I have the  same problem. When i shoot ir RAW everything is fine

really ?

When you open the raw file is fine, when the JPEG is not good ? right ?
2016-11-28
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fanse25e50b1 Posted at 2016-11-28 20:43

All the parameters are origin and the  ...

'All the parameters are origin and the live stream should show the same image in video or photo mode .. This is not the case'

If you had read what I wrote earlier, it is quite normal for the two images to be different. They are different sizes, and your display will not treat them the same. Try looking at them on a decent computer monitor, not on you phone or tablet. Also, if you want people to look at the pictures, use Dropbox, not some site where you have to sign up just to view them.

2016-11-28
Use props
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
France

Geebax Posted at 2016-11-28 22:57
'All the parameters are origin and the live stream should show the same image in video or photo mo ...

You don't need to sign in to upload the pic of the link ...

The live stream on your device during the flight has the same resolution in photo and in video mode : 720p

I've tested after the flight, comparing image and video on a mac book pro retina, so this is a decent way to view. The video is better.
2016-11-29
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

fanse25e50b1 Posted at 2016-11-29 22:56
You don't need to sign in to upload the pic of the link ...

The live stream on your device during ...

'The live stream on your device during the flight has the same resolution in photo and in video mode : 720p'

Yes, of course they are, but both are down scaled by the image processor chip in the aircraft before transmission to the RC unit, and they are not equal, because the pixel dimensions of still photo and video are different. It is a limitation of the system, but as you are not meant to make any qualititative decisions with the local feed, it does not really matter.

I did download one of your images, but it is saved as a PNG file, so it is not a camera original. If it is not original, then all bets are off. Who knows what processing has been applied.

2016-12-1
Use props
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
France

news of the day, the Raw file is perfect, just now, we try to understand why the jepg created is so bad with standard parameters  : +2 0 0 none.

2016-12-1
Use props
Delurium
lvl.2

Norway

i came to this tread because I have the same problem. I took my first still pictures today and I was shocked to see the poor quality of them, especially compared to the video I was doing before/after. Detail level is beyond bad, soft, bland etc. Where I can zoom in and see details on the video, on still photos I only get 1 big blur.

I only take pictures/video outside, pictures not processed at all just gotten straight from the unit. Pretty disappointing that I have to fly and retake the pictures tomorrow as these are not worthy of showing off.
2016-12-1
Use props
fanse25e50b1
lvl.2
France

Delurium Posted at 2016-12-1 19:53
i came to this tread because I have the same problem. I took my first still pictures today and I was ...

Same issue for me : solution, you can  use the RAW file of the picture, it's perfect ;)  We can convert the RAW in JPEG and the JPEG cretated is really really much better than the JPEG of the P4 .

Can you contact the Support too ? I am pushing them to find a solution.

We keep in touch ;)
2016-12-1
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Delurium Posted at 2016-12-2 05:53
i came to this tread because I have the same problem. I took my first still pictures today and I was ...

I have to agree with this comment. I don't take photos with my P4 anymore. I find I get a much better result by taking frames from a 4K video. Plus I have the added benefit of doing a panning sequence, tell my software to take one frame per second (or 5, or...), and I get a choice from different angles.
2016-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules