New firmware for Phantom 3 Pro/Adv has been released.
49953 360 2016-11-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nelsonlee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2779203 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

Usually the android device will cause this issue include mine.
Try using apple device and i think should good enough.
2016-12-7
Use props
loucos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 423261 ft
Greece

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-8 08:33
Do you have another mobile device to have a try?
Generally speaking, it's because the app cannot read the firmware version.
If convenient, please try another mobile device or re-install the app again.

Mindy,

I have been using, for a year now, my android mobile device LG V480 without any problems.
This mobile device is dedicated to my phantom and it is not used with anything else, so it is not burdened with other apps and functions. It has functioned perfectly until now and it has been fully compatible in every respect with the GoApp.

I went along with your suggestion and tried another mobile device; a Samsung Tab A (2016), android, which is more recent and has a higher version of Android. Same result. No version indication.

Consequently, I am convinced that the problem lies with a bug in the GoApp. This is something that DJI will have to solve. So, I am not going to pursue this further. As long as the bird flies well and I can shoot video and stills as before, I can live without knowing what version firmware I am wearing; at least for the time being.

However, if there is another way (e.g. plugging a line into the aircraft and connecting to a laptop) to see the firmware, please let me know.

Thank you for your help.
2016-12-8
Use props
loucos
lvl.2
Greece

Nelsonlee Posted at 2016-12-8 08:46
Usually the android device will cause this issue include mine.
Try using apple device and i think should good enough.

Hey Nelsonlee,
thank you for your input.
I am an android dude. I don't see why I should have to switch to apple to make the GoApp work in its entirety.
DJI officially support  both iOS and android as systems that work with the GoApp.
Therefore, ........???
Cheers.
2016-12-8
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
Flight distance : 209537 ft
United Kingdom

Just done the update, drone firmware updated fine, but the controller is still at 1.6 (I think it should be 1.8). On the Go app (version 3.1.0), it says 'Latest Firmware' under Overall Status.
I've turned everything off and on several times, restarted the (Android) tablet but can't update the RC.
Is it safe to fly like this? (old version in RC, latest version in the drone).
2016-12-8
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
United Kingdom

richmars Posted at 2016-12-8 11:57
Just done the update, drone firmware updated fine, but the controller is still at 1.6 (I think it should be 1.8). On the Go app (version 3.1.0), it says 'Latest Firmware' under Overall Status.
I've turned everything off and on several times, restarted the (Android) tablet but can't update the RC.
Is it safe to fly like this? (old version in RC, latest version in the drone).

I should say, it's a P3 Adv.
2016-12-8
Use props
Nelsonlee
Second Officer
  • >>>
Malaysia

richmars Posted at 2016-12-8 20:21

My Phantom 3 Advanced can get update to RC=1.8.0
2016-12-8
Use props
Nelsonlee
Second Officer
  • >>>
Malaysia

loucos Posted at 2016-12-8 17:41
Hey Nelsonlee,
I am an android dude. I don't see why I should have to switch to apple to make the GoApp work in its entirety.

Not all Android device getting issue,it just some may not compatible for Dji Go app.
But for android dji go app DJI will release soon for 3.1.1. 311.png
2016-12-8
Use props
turfmech
lvl.1

United States

loucos Posted at 2016-12-8 04:41
Hey Nelsonlee,

It seems to me that all the new APP and RC updates are PURPOSELY anti android
2016-12-8
Use props
JohnCom
lvl.1
Flight distance : 292526 ft
United States

Item        Quantity        Unit Price(USD)        Total Price(USD) Phantom 3 advanced gimbal video downlink mainboard V7        1        128.00        128.00 Service Charge        1        65.00/H        65.00 .After downloading the new firmware it would not go in had to send it into dji because it locked up would not go in and the motors would not start.
2016-12-8
Use props
JohnCom
lvl.1
United States

Item        Quantity        Unit Price(USD)        Total Price(USD) Phantom 3 advanced gimbal video downlink mainboard V7        1        128.00        128.00 Service Charge        1        65.00/H        65.00 .After downloading the new firmware it would not go in had to send it into dji because it locked up would not go in and the motors would not start. so this is what happen. it was nice of dji to fix it free.
2016-12-8
Use props
JohnCom
lvl.1
United States

JohnCom Posted at 2016-12-8 09:22
Item        Quantity        Unit Price(USD)        Total Price(USD) Phantom 3 advanced gimbal video downlink mainboard V7        1        128.00        128.00 Service Charge        1        65.00/H        65.00 .After downloading the new firmware it would not go in had to send it into dji because it locked up would not go in and the motors would not start. so this is what happen. it was nice of dji to fix it free.

The ESC screen came on and I tried 5 times to put the new download in.
2016-12-8
Use props
turfmech
lvl.1

United States

SimonH78 Posted at 2016-12-4 13:30
Yes it is - battery will need to be warmer than 15C to take-off/start ...

60 degrees seems a little extreme I could see some battery restrictions closer to the freezing point at least something like 45 to 50 degrees f
2016-12-8
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

richmars Posted at 2016-12-8 07:21

1.6 is fine on the rc

in fact many of us are staying on 1.6 vs 1.8  om purpose

1.8 caused many video issues for many of us and the only fix was to use 1.6 RC FW

good luck and have fun flying!
2016-12-8
Use props
Kirk2579
Second Officer
Flight distance : 37415 ft
United States

turfmech Posted at 2016-12-8 09:04

I would agree on the appearance they WANT to move all to IOS

yet IOS still has issues as well
2016-12-8
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Kirk2579 Posted at 2016-12-8 14:30
1.6 is fine on the rc

in fact many of us are staying on 1.6 vs 1.8  om purpose

Thanks Kirk2579. It seems to connect ok, but I thought I'd ask.
2016-12-8
Use props
loucos
lvl.2
Greece

Nelsonlee Posted at 2016-12-8 14:48
Not all Android device getting issue,it just some may not compatible for Dji Go app.
But for android dji go app DJI will release soon for 3.1.1.[view_image]

Hey Nelsonlee,
That is very interesting.
I just checked dji.com/downloads and the new GoApp version for iOS is out - 3.1.1.
Now we wait to see the next version for android. I hope dji have been listening and that we make progress.

I also agree with Dave Pitman's statement; the GoApp is too 'heavy' with software for all dji aircraft.
I think we would all benefit if there were separate GoApps for every category. It would save dji a lot of hassle and us dji buyers a lot of frustration and time. We need a GoApp just for the Phantoms!
Let me know if you think otherwise.
Cheers!
2016-12-8
Use props
loucos
lvl.2
Greece

turfmech Posted at 2016-12-8 16:04

You know how it is turfmech.
If there is an agreement in place between apple and dji, dji will certainly set the trend!(?)
And the consumers will be helpless . . .
2016-12-8
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

endotherm Posted at 2016-12-7 05:35
I never really got the "hover the aircraft to warm the battery" thing.  If it's too cold, then "flying" the aircraft is going to be drawing a lot of amps to attain lift, which is really the last thing you should be doing.  Taxing a cold battery will damage it, it's that simple.  I'm also in two minds about using a battery warmer that uses the cold battery as its power source, but I assume the current draw isn't nearly as much as that required for flight, so the effect on the battery isn't severe.  Idling the aircraft on the ground would be gentler and safer than hovering it.

You only need to have the batteries at 15° or more to start it up.  Once it is running, the battery will continue to warm as it discharges and is surrounded by warm electronics.  I have never seen a battery get colder in flight.  Changing the startup limit to 5° would be pointless, as they have already determined that that temperature is dangerous to the battery, and you shouldn't be operating it at that temperature.  They have been issuing warnings in the app for attempting to fly at that temperature for ages.  They have plenty of recorded instances of batteries shutting down in the cold, with crashes and loss of aircraft resulting.  All it needs is a small change to your routine, make sure the battery you intend to use next is in your pocket so it can warm through from body temperature.  As long as it is at least 15° when you start the motors, you are good to go.  It will warm up to the recommended 25° all by itself from there.

Thanks for the reply Endotherm; interesting name given the topic of temperature. LOL
You are correct in that hovering the aircraft might not be the best way to warm it up and I normally used to idle it on the ground to warm it up which worked great, it doesn't take much time at all to reach 15C or more.  However, it sounds like that is not now a possibility because the motors won't start if the battery temp in <15C. with the new firmware update.  Do you know if this is a correct assumption?  I have not been able to test this out yet because the current temp at my location is -25C so I'm not even going outside, let alone try to fly.  I guess you have the opposite problem where it isn't cold enough to test.  Too bad this isn't highlighted in the release notes, but that's another topic.
Here are the average temperatures at my location which I think illustrates my issues, as well as others, in this regard.
"Calgary: Annual Weather Averages. July is the hottest month in Calgary with an average temperature of 17°C (62°F) and the coldest is January at -7°C (19°F) ."
When I bought the drone the manual said the operating limit of the aircraft was 0C and the battery was 5C, the new limit is not even close now!
2016-12-8
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Tomsbird Posted at 2016-12-9 03:37
Thanks for the reply Endotherm; interesting name given the topic of temperature. LOL
You are correct in that hovering the aircraft might not be the best way to warm it up and I normally used to idle it on the ground to warm it up which worked great, it doesn't take much time at all to reach 15C or more.  However, it sounds like that is not now a possibility because the motors won't start if the battery temp in

Well, it seems that it will work at 5°, but it is not good for the battery.  I'm sure over time DJI have revised the temperature upwards as the number of cold temperature failures and shutdowns has increased, leading to raising the temperature for financial/warranty reasons.  I don't know if there is an absolute cutout/refusal to start at that temperature, you could stick a battery in the freezer for a few minutes and get it down there, then test it.  The operating temperature of the aircraft is unchanged -- it will still fly in freezing/sub-zero temps, this is all to do with protecting the battery.

I thought I did read a post (not sure if it is in this thread) that says the aircraft will still start at 5°.  The warnings still come up like they used to.
2016-12-8
Use props
fans477052f4
New

United States

I am having issues with horrible video lag and artifacts after update.  I have used both android and ipad.  Have tried pulling gimbal wiresults (helped for about 15 minuted).  I am out of ideas
2016-12-8
Use props
Tomsbird
lvl.3
Flight distance : 633901 ft
Canada

endotherm Posted at 2016-12-8 16:41
Well, it seems that it will work at 5°, but it is not good for the battery.  I'm sure over time DJI have revised the temperature upwards as the number of cold temperature failures and shutdowns has increased, leading to raising the temperature for financial/warranty reasons.  I don't know if there is an absolute cutout/refusal to start at that temperature, you could stick a battery in the freezer for a few minutes and get it down there, then test it.  The operating temperature of the aircraft is unchanged -- it will still fly in freezing/sub-zero temps, this is all to do with protecting the battery.

I thought I did read a post (not sure if it is in this thread) that says the aircraft will still start at 5°.  The warnings still come up like they used to.

I never thought of just sticking the battery outside for a few minutes and than trying to start-up inside.  When I get a chance to try it.  I will let you know the results.  Sure hope it lets me at least start the motors.
I think the warnings are a good idea and I agree with you on the dangers of flying on a cold battery.  Most of my (100+)  flights have been in temps well below the 15C and I've never had any issues because I always idle the motors until the battery reached a decent temp.  Flying in snow covered mountains offers some spectacular photos!
2016-12-8
Use props
collective itch
lvl.1

United Kingdom

went to fly my p 3 a today, and got the firm ware update message. bit wary of flying without up to date firmware, but reading all the issues with latest fw, maybe ill wait  a while.

apologies if this is dumb question, but when it says format the sd card and use that, does that sd card have to be the one that stays in the phantom when you fly it?

i have lots of images on my larger sd card i bought, and was thinking i could format the smaller one that came with the phantom, load the firmware on there, then once updated, put my larger sd card with my images, back in, or does the sd card that has the latest firmware, need to stay in the phantom?
2016-12-9
Use props
richmars
lvl.4
United Kingdom

collective itch Posted at 2016-12-9 18:45
went to fly my p 3 a today, and got the firm ware update message. bit wary of flying without up to date firmware, but reading all the issues with latest fw, maybe ill wait  a while.

apologies if this is dumb question, but when it says format the sd card and use that, does that sd card have to be the one that stays in the phantom when you fly it?

It can be any SD card. I have a small one I keep for updates. Just make sure there's only one .bin file on it.
I think if you leave the card you use for the update in all the time it will try to do an update every time you power up (after the first time it will see the version on the card is the same as already loaded so not do anything).
2016-12-9
Use props
collective itch
lvl.1

United Kingdom

richmars Posted at 2016-12-9 18:50
It can be any SD card. I have a small one I keep for updates. Just make sure there's only one .bin file on it.
I think if you leave the card you use for the update in all the time it will try to do an update every time you power up (after the first time it will see the version on the card is the same as already loaded so not do anything).

great, thanks.
2016-12-9
Use props
ImagesByJAS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft
United States

collective itch Posted at 2016-12-9 13:45

Hi..

No question is dumb (ok, maybe some are).  :-)   You can use the original Micro SD card that came with the Phantom.  Format it in the AC and then MAKE SURE (IMPORTANT) you copy the actual firmware file (not a compressed/zip file) to the root directory of the Micro SD.  Do not put it in a folder on the memory card.

Once you have it there, then put it in the Phantom, start it up, and let it do its thing.  Once the firmware is upgraded (google upgrading firmware, the small LED light on the front of the camera gimbal will go solid green (vs red/green alternating), and there is a distinctive pattern to the sound).  

I think there is a battery update as well with this firmware, so if you have multiple batteries, you will need to turn off the aircraft, put in a different battery (again if you have one) turn the AC on and let it update the battery.. Once you're all done, you can use either memory card.  If you leave the firmware on the original, it will try to load it, but realize it has already been applied, or once everything is done, you can delete it from the Micro SD card.  There is a log file created on the card after the update that will indicate success or failure as well that you can check..
2016-12-9
Use props
collective itch
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ImagesByJAS Posted at 2016-12-9 18:55
Hi..

No question is dumb (ok, maybe some are).  :-)   You can use the original Micro SD card that came with the Phantom.  Format it in the AC and then MAKE SURE (IMPORTANT) you copy the actual firmware file (not a compressed/zip file) to the root directory of the Micro SD.  Do not put it in a folder on the memory card.

great thanks, updating now.
2016-12-9
Use props
ImagesByJAS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 286198 ft
United States

collective itch Posted at 2016-12-9 16:42
great thanks, updating now.

Hope it all works out great..  Let the group know.   
2016-12-10
Use props
mads30
lvl.1

Poland

Is there any option to downgrade firmware  v1.10.90 to previous version for example 1.5.xx? DJI Mindy said that my mobile (Samsung S4) is not enough for that drone, and that's why I have video lag. I tried today iPad Air 2, and have this same! This is firmware issue! Why nobody said it loudly? On 1.3.x there was no issue! Why next firmware is even worst then previously? Now I want to sell my phantom and never came back to DJI company!
2016-12-10
Use props
njalex
lvl.2
United States

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

I could not update on my iPhone 5c and iPad Mini 1 to use on my brand new Phantom 3 4K and now I can!!! I'm still using some old devices and don't plan on upgrading soon. Thank you for fixing that!!!!!
2016-12-10
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

turfmech Posted at 2016-12-8 22:04

Oh, that makes great business sense. "Let's piss off 25% of our customers by purposely making our products not install or work well on their phone platform".

Why would they do that? Answer: they wouldn't.
2016-12-10
Use props
collective itch
lvl.1

United Kingdom

had a test flight today, after days of rain. only a short flight upwards, no distance travelled, picture seems less grainy than it was before, only thing i noticed, when bought it down and was hovering, it seemed to sink slowly. i left it to see what would happen, and it actually went all the way to ground, and i had to give it throttle to get it back in air. Thought in that case they were meant to rely on sonics, so that it did not touch down.
2016-12-11
Use props
rreindl
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6491926 ft
United States

Installed the updates on my P3A with no issues during the install. The only test was start the motors without and with the propellers. Now if it would only stop snowing then I could do a test flight.
2016-12-11
Use props
Lord Rahl
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone upgraded and had camera issues? I have a bad colored grain effect on all my images (video and stills). This has only been happening since the update. I've tried everything I can think of...
2016-12-11
Use props
Chazz
New
Flight distance : 1893868 ft
United States

scottyduzitbest Posted at 2016-11-30 00:55
downgrade to anyversion you want, easy we do it all the time. open the shell remove the main board, cut glue on internal sd card glued to bottom of main board, throw it away or format it your choice.  we install 8 gig for more flight log storage capacity. Either way with your new or formatted card in and reglued with silicon NOT HOT GLUE, reassemble drone. stick your firmware bin file on a seperate sd card and insert into gimbal. firmware must not be   downloaded from dji, all theirs will ad a + to the version label indicating its modified for altitude limit, no fly zones ect.... search around or contact me and I can possibly help you with an unmodified, non dji molested firmware version of your choice. I have em all.... be sure to do your transmitter and batteries too. well batteries wont matter on downgrade. if you downgrade far enough besure to remove djigo and find a dji pilot app download... questions about the procedure then this aint for you inwhich case contact me lol happy unrestricted flying!!!

I'm interested...How do I get the old Firmware? I cant seem to PM on this site...
2016-12-11
Use props
mads30
lvl.1

Poland

scottyduzitbest Posted at 2016-11-29 17:55
downgrade to anyversion you want, easy we do it all the time. open the shell remove the main board, cut glue on internal sd card glued to bottom of main board, throw it away or format it your choice.  we install 8 gig for more flight log storage capacity. Either way with your new or formatted card in and reglued with silicon NOT HOT GLUE, reassemble drone. stick your firmware bin file on a seperate sd card and insert into gimbal. firmware must not be   downloaded from dji, all theirs will ad a + to the version label indicating its modified for altitude limit, no fly zones ect.... search around or contact me and I can possibly help you with an unmodified, non dji molested firmware version of your choice. I have em all.... be sure to do your transmitter and batteries too. well batteries wont matter on downgrade. if you downgrade far enough besure to remove djigo and find a dji pilot app download... questions about the procedure then this aint for you inwhich case contact me lol happy unrestricted flying!!!

Sorry, doesn't work! I've tried downgrade version 1.10.090 to 1.3.020. I put totally new sd card to motherboard, and sd card with firmware 1.3.020 (from dji website) to the gimbal and didn't start updating. After that try there was log file with whole history, so phantom have to keep all software on flash. New SD card on motherboard doesn't change anything. Shame:/
2016-12-12
Use props
Nelsonlee
Second Officer
  • >>>
Malaysia

mads30 Posted at 2016-12-13 02:31
Sorry, doesn't work! I've tried downgrade version 1.10.090 to 1.3.020. I put totally new sd card to motherboard, and sd card with firmware 1.3.020 (from dji website) to the gimbal and didn't start updating. After that try there was log file with whole history, so phantom have to keep all software on flash. New SD card on motherboard doesn't change anything. Shame:/

At the first DJI team already mentioned after this 1.10.090 upgraded and can't downgrade to any other old version firmware.
2016-12-12
Use props
T-Rex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 966148 ft
Italy

Nelsonlee Posted at 2016-12-12 20:42
At the first DJI team already mentioned after this 1.10.090 upgraded and can't downgrade to any other old version firmware.

Last time I tried to upgrade the firmware I had to send the drone back for a warranty repair. This time I am bit reluctant also because I do not see any big advantages in the release note and so far my P3A is flying great. I think I will follow the rule "don't fix it if it is not broken".
2016-12-12
Use props
666angels
New

Poland

Nelsonlee Posted at 2016-12-4 12:16
See this video guides will help you.
Firmware reset

Hi,
The only way to fix it was to change sd card. It finally worked with completely different one.

Thanks anyway for help.

Best regards
2016-12-13
Use props
fans1de43c39
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2661 ft
United States

Nice , did see the tilt with the imu. My ? how did the new Here maps treat ya?
2016-12-13
Use props
Uptowndisco
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7394987 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Phantomski Posted at 2016-12-5 05:16
No issues after the upgrade, achieved my normal distance, i'd say the video feed was actually more reliable, and I'd swear the motors sounded a bit softer.. not as jumpy... Overall have not seen any ill effects yet.
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=qrUFEn
Winds up to 17MPG gusts!

Looking at your record , you had quite a few data link losses one of them pretty long "Downlink data connection lost for 28.2 seconds"  can you give any info on these ?
2016-12-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules