DJI GO vs DJI GO 4
10479 26 2016-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Smeatmonster
lvl.1

United States

So....other than DJI GO 4 being new and apperently providing a slightly faster live feed and the ability to change the camera settings mid-flight are there any other differences between the two Apps?
2016-11-30
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

I'd like to know as well. I think it became available for iOS today.  Has there been any communication from DJI? Which one are we suppose to use? And, why did the make another one that basically looks the same?
2016-11-30
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I got this from a it tech site.
The DJI GO 4 is a brand new app, it is not an update, but a different app altogether. It is similar to the old DJI GO version 3 in terms of user interface and even has the same icon. However, there are a bunch of new features that will improve the user's drone-flying experience. It also features an updated home screen with new graphics.

One of the most important new feature in the app is "near Real-time Image/Video Transmission." This will allow users to receive faster image transmission on the smartphone or tablet when using first person view mode. It is not fully real-time yet, but is still very good.

According to Charged, the improvement in image and video transmission is not substantial enough for the new Phantom 4 Pro, Mavic Pro and the Inspire 2 drones that were recently released. The app also allows for mid-flight control of the camera, which is a welcome feature.
Apart from those main new features, the DJI GO 4 app has better video editing features. Users can use recorded video from the drone and add royalty free music and templates to it. There are several new songs and templates available in GO 4.
[size=1.5]The app is only useful for those with newer drones and reviews on the Play Store for the update are not that amazing, as per Android Police. Android users can download the app for free from the Google Play Store, while iOS users will have to wait for a week or so. The DJI GO 4 Android app requires devices running Android 4.4 and later.

I would like to know from dji if we should use the new app instead of the old version ?
2016-11-30
Use props
DownUnderDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450472 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I found the new DJI App Version 4 works better with my Google Pixel phone. Old version kept crashing. Maybe they've fixed a few compatibility issues with other phones that are not officially supported as well. I've seen a real difference in stability
2016-11-30
Use props
Nerds=Drones
lvl.2

United States

IMU looks better in the newer app
2016-11-30
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Any update on this? should I keep both apps or delete one and keep the other? I have an Osmo and Mavic...
2016-12-1
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

I couldn't get the intelligent flight modes to work on my Mavic with 3, but downloaded GO4 this morning, and now they work flawlessly.  I'm using a Droid Maxx2.  Liking it so far!  I need to turn my phone wi-fi off when in close proximity to buildings or houses with strong wi-fi networks as my phone searching and trying to connect causes issues, but with wifi off, no issues with that any more.  
Sarge
2016-12-1
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

Nerds=Drones Posted at 2016-11-30 19:21
IMU looks better in the newer app

What do you mean it looks better ??????
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-11-30 23:26
I got this from a it tech site.
The DJI GO 4 is a brand new app, it is not an update, but a differen ...

App is available now on iOS and has been for the past two days..
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2016-12-2 00:42
Any update on this? should I keep both apps or delete one and keep the other? I have an Osmo and Mav ...

If you have an osmo you will need older app, for the moment anyway.
2016-12-1
Use props
CanadianDrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10889 ft
Canada

What I find funny is on my Android device it was shows DJI GO 4 (v3.8)
2016-12-1
Use props
fansebeed138
lvl.2
United States

If you have the P3, or Osmo you need the older DJI GO app, the DJI GO 4 app is only for P4, P4 Pro and Mav currently.
So since I also have the Osmo+ I need to have both apps. + I still have the P2V2 so I need the really old DJI Vision app. HA HA.
2016-12-1
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

If you want to Facebook live you need to use the regular version, tried to on the 4 and it told me it doesn't work yet.
2016-12-1
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

DownUnderDrones Posted at 2016-12-1 00:25
I found the new DJI App Version 4 works better with my Google Pixel phone. Old version kept crashing ...

Same experience here with my Google Pixel. Earlier today I was out flying. One battery's flight with the old app, and another battery's flight with the new app. Both approx. 20 minutes flight time.

I had four in-air app crashes using the old app. None using the new app.

However, one thing worries me about the new app. When the old app crashes, I can always just restart the app and quickly connect again. And I keep full control of the Mavic via the remote all the time. But yesterday when playing with the new app at home (not flying), I noticed it several times "lost connection" (app-to-remote I assume, remote was still in contact with drone) and just "hang". The only way I found to get the app reconnected, was not only to restart the app, but I also had to restart the remote!!  So if that happens in air, I will either have to return and land without assistance from the app, or restart the remote while drone is hanging in the air. Neither sounds ideal to me :-/ ...

But still, I think my primary choice will be the new DJI Go 4 app for my Google Pixel. At least until I eventually experiences in-air app/remote trouble :-)
2016-12-3
Use props
devGOD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200577 ft
United States

Its DJI GO 4 is optimized for the new products Mavic, Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 2 in the app description
2016-12-3
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

They both crash on me.
2016-12-3
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

StigNygaard Posted at 2016-12-3 09:00
Same experience here with my Google Pixel. Earlier today I was out flying. One battery's flight wi ...

Stig,

You might try closing the app completely and pulling the USB cable from the RC, then plug it back in again. Not sure if it will work as I haven't experienced any crashes with the app on my Mavic yet but it works with my P3Pro's. Let us know if it works.

Jerry
2016-12-3
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-12-3 22:13
Stig,

You might try closing the app completely and pulling the USB cable from the RC, then plug i ...

Good idea. I will try that if problem occurs again. Sounds a lot better than restarting remote :-)
2016-12-3
Use props
fans3d2c0c91
lvl.1
Flight distance : 391040 ft
United States

I have found that the DJI Go 4 app stops me a lot closer to DJI no fly zones and I haven't found a way to continue to fly into them by accepting an onscreen warning like the DJI Go app had.  

Can anyone confirm this?
2016-12-3
Use props
fans98055571
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5160745 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

Does Lightbridge 2 work with new app?
2016-12-5
Use props
Smeatmonster
lvl.1

United States

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-2 08:33
If you want to Facebook live you need to use the regular version, tried to on the 4 and it told me it doesn't work yet.

I tied it yesterday on 4 and it worked, kind of. The feed cut out and jumped around a lot.
2016-12-6
Use props
Socalrob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5892 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just got my Mavic last week and flew on two batterys until a cop made me stop flying in a area of a park near me. I used the go 4 app and on the first battery everything went very well, on the second the app crashed but I was able to quickly restart it and it quickly reconnected and then the cop showed up. My phone is a new LG V 20.
2016-12-6
Use props
grdi
lvl.1

Austria

fans3d2c0c91 Posted at 2016-12-4 04:20
I have found that the DJI Go 4 app stops me a lot closer to DJI no fly zones and I haven't found a way to continue to fly into them by accepting an onscreen warning like the DJI Go app had.  

Can anyone confirm this?

I have troubles with "no flight areas" with the dji go app already. So I better don't upgrade. The crazy thing is, when I use the RC at the same area I don't see any flight restrictions even not with different flight modi. Using the mavic pro with the Wifi, no matter on iOs or android, the drone stops very often. And I am quite sure that I was not in flight restriction areas. My impression is that it follows you just a 100 m and than it stops and shows "flight restriction area" Also didn't find any possibility to switch this off. I also guess "flight restriction area" problem depends to the country where you live/fly. Maybe there is a work around to tell the mavic pro or app different country. Any suggestions? Thanks
2016-12-9
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

grdi Posted at 2016-12-9 23:50
I have troubles with "no flight areas" with the dji go app already. So I better don't upgrade. The crazy thing is, when I use the RC at the same area I don't see any flight restrictions even not with different flight modi. Using the mavic pro with the Wifi, no matter on iOs or android, the drone stops very often. And I am quite sure that I was not in flight restriction areas. My impression is that it follows you just a 100 m and than it stops and shows "flight restriction area" Also didn't find any possibility to switch this off. I also guess "flight restriction area" problem depends to the country where you live/fly. Maybe there is a work around to tell the mavic pro or app different country. Any suggestions? Thanks

When you're on WiFi you have limited range with the Mavic. There is also a way to get around und some no fly zones. Read the manual a bit, it seems like you missed some things.
2016-12-10
Use props
Alex Baxter
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1672448 ft
Ireland

I read on the Mavic drone forum that Go4 sets the focus when you start recording, presumably to the centre of the FOV.  That's good news, as I'm prone to forgetting (I'm institutionalised by being a P3P long term user)
2016-12-13
Use props
grdi
lvl.1

Austria

trance728- Posted at 2016-12-10 13:56
When you're on WiFi you have limited range with the Mavic. There is also a way to get around und some no fly zones. Read the manual a bit, it seems like you missed some things.

I read the manual right now and have seen that there is a maximum radius of 80 m (this is also at the go 4.0 app) but unfortunately this is not adjustable. At least I didn't find any possibility to set higher distance.
80 m Radius is really just a joke. I want the mavic to follow me when riding the bike. So it just follow me 40m because I am not cycling a circle all time :-)
With the breeze from the other company this is no problem. It follows me as long I want.

I also don't  see the difference when I am using the RC. There is no limitation like this. But I can't take the RC with smart phone locked in while riding the mountainbike.

If you do know any work around I would be very happy to hear from you again. Thanks so far.
2016-12-14
Use props
fansf23c3e7e
lvl.2
United States

I just gave up on both DJI apps.  I have a Phantom 4 and a Shield tablet.  I just use Litchi with no problems.  I really like the features on the DJI  Go 4 app, but cannot fly with repeated crashes of the app.  Too DANGEROUS!
2017-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules