Airplane Mode
5245 12 2016-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

Hi,

I just got my Mavic this week and was having trouble with the RC controller loosing connection with the aircraft and the RC controller loosing connection with the app. After reading a bit I tried it with my phone in airplane mode. Everything works great in airplane mode. I am using a Motorola Droid Maxx 2. Android version 6.0.1. The Mavic and the controller have the latest firmware and the app has been updated, also installed and reinstalled.
Guessing I will need to have cell coverage to use the map in the app for waypoints and other things.
I tried flying in wifi mode and that works fine. Obviously not in airplane mode.
It seems to be something to do with my phone and the RC controller when not in airplane mode.
Any suggestions? I'll check back soon if you need more info.

Also I have been flying lots of RC planes and drones for many years and this is a nice machine!!

Thanks
2016-11-30
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

In the new Go App they have a warning to turn Wifi off on your phone. I would imagine the 2.4ghz wifi from some people's phones was interfering with the RC/Mavic connection. When you were having issues before, was the wifi on your phone on?
2016-11-30
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-11-30 18:30
In the new Go App they have a warning to turn Wifi off on your phone. I would imagine the 2.4ghz wif ...

Good question. I actually did test this and didnt see any difference with wifi on or off. Outside where I fly in my airfield I have no wifi so it was on 4g when I was strugling with this. The 4 signal is not great in my area but also not bad. Also in my shop I have wifi and also had connection issues. The rc controller will connect and everything looks good for a minute or so and then the app would say not connected. The rc controller would say it is connected for a bit and then it acted as if it restarted and lost connection.

Also I live on a farm so not many things around to cause interfierence I would think.

In airplane mode it works great. Flew outside and went quite a ways away with no issues at all. Wondering if its my phone or the rc controller?

Thanks
2016-11-30
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Blade Breaker 0 Posted at 2016-12-1 08:43
Good question. I actually did test this and didnt see any difference with wifi on or off. Outside w ...

May I know you connect your mobile device to the upper left port or the bottom one?
Have you tried to change the cable or mobile device to check the performance?
How frequency it happens? and RC loses the connection with AC and APP at the same time wherever you flew, right?
2016-12-1
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

Hi,
I have been connecting to the upper left port mostly. I did connect to the lower port once inside my house but did not think to try it and fly. Would that make a difference?

I have not tried a different mobile device yet.

Frequency that it happens is every time I connect and do not have the phone in airplane mode. RC first looses connection with APP then moments later the RC acts as if it restarts and looses connection with AC.

Thanks for your reply, let me know what I should try next.
2016-12-1
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

HI,

I just installed the DJI GO4 app and will try this to see if there is any difference. Would you expect any change with the new app?

Thanks
2016-12-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blade Breaker 0 Posted at 2016-12-1 15:49
HI,

I just installed the DJI GO4 app and will try this to see if there is any difference. Would you ...

It could be that your phone is not one of the DJI recommended devices listed below.
Also, do you have developer options and USB debugging on?
And you can use it in Airplane mode if you want, Just power everything up and let it get the maps then go into Airplane mode. Of leave it in that mode and cache your maps at home.
  • ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.
  • Android: Samsung tabs 705c, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, Ascend Mate7, Huawei P8 Max, Huawei Mate 8, Nubia Z7 mini, SONY Xperia Z3, MI 3, MI PAD, Smartisan T1.

2016-12-1
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-2 04:58
It could be that your phone is not one of the DJI recommended devices listed below.
Also, do you ha ...

I dont think I have the developer options on or usb debugging on. Just looked on my phone and could not find it so I am guessing no. Would that make any difference?

I agree that it looks like my phone is not supported. Guess ill be looking for a different phone or try the airplane mode with the maps cached.

Thanks
2016-12-1
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

I uploaded the new GO4 app this morning and went to shoot some footage at a motorcycle dealership where I had flown before without any problem.  I couldn't get the intelligent flight modes to work with the old app.  I have a droid maxx 2 phone.  I got to the dealership and continually lost connection between the controller and the mavic.  The Mavic wouldn't come down for a bit no matter what I did - luckily it was only about 8 feet off the ground when it lost connection and was in the middle of the parking lot, so the general "meandering" without control wasn't too bad.  I gave up after losing connection numerous times and headed to the park by my house to further calibrate or test as needed.  NO problems at the park, and with the new app, even the intelligent flight modes worked flawlessly.  Bonus!  I got home and turned everything back on in my ktchen to check something, and low and behold, the the controller refused to stay connected to the Mavic again.  I was frustrated and put it away for a while, then it dawned on me - BOTH locations I had trouble with had strong wi-fi networks that I was well within range of, and my phone had the wi-fi on so it was actively trying to connect to the existing in house wi-fi.  The park, of course, had no wi-fi.  I got everything back out and turned it on again, this time with my PHONE WI-FI OFF.  No issues whatsoever in that configuration!  Strong signal and NO loss of connection between the controller and the Mavic inside the house or out.  My theory is that the phone searching and trying to connect was causing the interference between the two.  I remember last time I flew at the dealership, my phone wi-fi was off also as I had just gotten back from a trip and had it turned off so my phone battery was saved the constant searching as I drove.  I'm going back tomorrow morning to prove the theory at the dealership.  Hope this may help here.......
Sarge
2016-12-1
Use props
Blade Breaker 0
lvl.2

United States

That does help. I usually have the wifi off on my phone. At my farm where I fly the cell signal is only 1 bar 4g. WiFi is not the issue at my place but wondering if the cell searching for signal or a low signal is the issue. Flew again tonight cached the map and it worked fine in airplane mode. I should try someplace with a strong cell signal and see if it changes.

Still curious about the USB debugging and the developer options if they help. Ken?
2016-12-1
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

If the Motorola is over-modulating it's wifi, or lte, it could spread further accross the bands, and potentially interfere with the controller. It makes sense that shutting down the radios in the phone (which is what airplane mode does) would reduce any digital interference with the controller. Ever notice in some of the unboxing videos for the Mavic, when the drone and controller are turned on, it interferes with the camera, and you hear buzzing on the recording? This is the digital electronics bleeding energy and interfering with the camera. The same coudl happen with phones, depending on how the antenna is placed within the phone. In fact, this *could* possibly explain some of the Mavic "lost signal issues" I am not saying for sure that it is, but it is far more logical than "thermal updrafts!"
2016-12-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Blade Breaker 0 Posted at 2016-12-1 14:23
I dont think I have the developer options on or usb debugging on. Just looked on my phone and coul ...

If you search your phone for developer options or search the internet how to enable it and USB debugging for your phone.
If not then just use airplane mode until you find something that's on the list.
2016-12-1
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

sarge43 Posted at 2016-12-1 15:36
I uploaded the new GO4 app this morning and went to shoot some footage at a motorcycle dealership wh ...

Sorry you are experiencing this, try using a recommended device from I list I poster earlier and see if it then does not disconnect.
2016-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules