iOS App Causing iPad and iPhone dead - Related to DJI App Store Release
1869 3 2015-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
alienbat
lvl.1

Australia

I flew my DJI Inspire 1 a few times and one thing concerns me is that quite frequently, the DJI Pilot app crashes the whole iOS device and it has to be restarted.

I am not sure if anybody else encounters this. The crash happened on my iPhone 6Plus and iPad Air 2, both are iOS8.1 devices, so it is highly unlikely caused by a specific iOS device.

Once the crash happens I pretty much have to let go of the remote control, let the drone stay at where it is while I restart the device. Usually the drone is so far away and I can not fly it by naked eyes.

What concerns me most is that the app actually manages to crash the whole iOS.

I am an iOS developer and I can say it with certainty that iOS is designed in such a way that apps are contained in a safe sandbox, and the unstability of the app at worst can only crash the app itself but never the whole operation system. Most modern operation systems are designed in such way too. I personally have never encountered an app downloaded from App Store that is capable of crashing the iOS and I never manage to deveop such a thing capable of that.

To crash the whole iOS you pretty much has to dig up some private APIs that are exclusive for Apple internal use, and only private APIs are capable of penetrating the app sandbox. These APIs are powerful, but undocumented. However using private APIs are STRICTLY forbidden, and all apps submitted to App Store will be inspected against private API usage... however this is only to the apps submitted to App Store.

But the iOS DJI Pilot app is released using Enterprise Distribution Certificate and is not reviewed by Apple.

if my guess is right, then for the DJI Pilot app to pass the Apple Review, DJI has to solve the light-bridge issue as well as the private API usage, that involve code changes - and that may take some time which explains why the iOS app takes so long to publish.

2015-2-10
Use props
mani
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2233904 ft
  • >>>
Romania

Same story here, with iPhone 6 & iPad Air 2, both running iOS 8.1.3
Funny the way it is it happens most of the time at first flight, the app forces iOS reboot, than it works perfectly.
Spoke with DJI chat about official iOS app, I think is an Inspire answering, as all the time I am receiving the same answer : available in two weeks
2015-2-10
Use props
Jerry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3675046 ft
United States

Turn off "Background App Refresh" in the Settings, General section.
2015-2-10
Use props
tonygriffis.gma
lvl.2

United States

Happened to me on android 1.05 using navidia Shield....
2015-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules