Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
H.265 on Phantom 4 Pro doesn't work with Premiere
25743 50 2016-11-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
divergentmike
New

United States

Saw this thread and just wanted to suggest you check out EditReady if you are on OS X. We support DJIs flavor of h.265 and will transcode it to pro codecs like ProRes or DNxHR for pain free editing.
More info at www.divergentmedia.com/editready

-mike

(Full disclosure, I am one of the developers of EditReady)

2017-5-8
Use props
christing
lvl.2

Japan

You may google a  Phantom 4 Pro H.265 converter and transcode the h.265 files for smooth editing.
2017-10-16
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

christing Posted at 2017-10-16 00:31
You may google a  Phantom 4 Pro H.265 converter and transcode the h.265 files for smooth editing.

Davinci Resolve in computer with Mac OSX system would be a good choice.
2017-10-16
Use props
fans9c8c9665
lvl.1
United States

Just shot 4K video, 29.97, H265 none of the profesioanl software can download it. Not, Avid, Premier, Resolve, Final Cut, VLC. I was finally able to get a down resed version using "Handshake". This is a real problem and I got no suport when I called DJI. I was told to send my Phanton 4 Pro+ in and have it checked out.
2017-10-24
Use props
fans9c8c9665
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-10-16 00:50
Davinci Resolve in computer with Mac OSX system would be a good choice.

I see you are an administrator. I recommend you pull the H265 from you systems until you get an editable version.

2017-10-24
Use props
PaulSouthport
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1448799 ft
United Kingdom

fans9c8c9665 Posted at 2017-10-24 13:33
I see you are an administrator. I recommend you pull the H265 from you systems until you get an editable version.

It may be better if you just don't use H265, since many others can with no problem.
2017-10-24
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

fans9c8c9665 Posted at 2017-10-24 13:33

That assumes EVERY P4 is producing an incompatible file, which is not the case.
2017-10-24
Use props
Dingoz
lvl.3
Australia

The question remains why record in H265 in the first place. Is the quality better or actually worse than H264. No where yet has shown DJI's implementation of H265 has any quality gain over H264 but it has shown more banding issues. If anyone can confirm its better quality without banding issues then by all means point me to the comparison proof, otherwise all evidence to date points to the opposite - its worse quality than unsing H264.

For clarification of some points above...

- DJI's H265 in a MP4 container opens just fine in Premiere

- DJI's H265 vs H264 files are not smaller. They are the same size for each resolution/frame rate. In theory being the same bit rate and file size one would assume with the better compression of H265 that the bit rate then in the H265 files might be 25%-50% greater resulting in higher quality files. But no one has shown any proof of this theory to date. Comparing the files so far they look about the same in quality but much harder to edit in post and H265 also shows banding artifacts where H264 does not.

- A test exporting content from premiere to H265 highest quality results in extreme banding across parts like blue skies whereas in H264 exports this is not present. Totally unusable for final output from premier... is that premiere or H265 that causes banding... some online info suggest its H265 but if this is true then H265 is useless as a next gen format and also other h265 files i have played back on 4k tv's do not have such banding issues so find this hard to believe and suspect it might be premieres HEVC exporting. Who knows but with premiere its just not a quality output option. Other online source think H265 in its early stages so far just doesn't have quality encoders at present yet which results in more banding.

- Which leaves, is it a quality input source. Same size, harder to edit and more banding.
2017-10-24
Use props
Sebb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 498199 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Dingoz Posted at 2017-10-24 17:09
The question remains why record in H265 in the first place. Is the quality better or actually worse than H264. No where yet has shown DJI's implementation of H265 has any quality gain over H264 but it has shown more banding issues. If anyone can confirm its better quality without banding issues then by all means point me to the comparison proof, otherwise all evidence to date points to the opposite - its worse quality than unsing H264.

For clarification of some points above...

regarding banding
if it really is in the footage, then it's most likely the result of HEVC by definition compressing color even higher than mpeg4. Regarding Premiere.... it is terrible previewing HEVC, many weird issues become visible (e.g. i-frame pulsing in vectorscopes) that arent actually in the footage. i wouldnt be surprised if it showed banding (which isnt there). what about exported at high bitrate - banding still there?

regarding no visual improvements
HEVC is constructed to help stream high resolution content at very low bitrates while maintaining good IQ. Think 4K Netflix @3Mbit looking OK. that s not possible with mpeg4.
However, when it comes to the P4pro.. 100Mbit mpg4 looks very clean. there is not much to improve from compression point of view where HEVC could make a difference. there are other constraints like dynamic range of 1" sensor, plastic lense and most of all 8bit color space.
add to that the much higher hassle in workflow and there is really no reason to use HEVC on P4pro.

2017-12-13
Use props
hpmoon
lvl.1
United States

Sebb Posted at 2017-12-13 07:00
However, when it comes to the P4pro.. 100Mbit mpg4 looks very clean. there is not much to improve from compression point of view where HEVC could make a difference. there are other constraints like dynamic range of 1" sensor, plastic lense and most of all 8bit color space. add to that the much higher hassle in workflow and there is really no reason to use HEVC on P4pro.

100% disagree with this.  You want to be looking for macroblocking when comparing footage shot in H.264 versus H.265 -- like, for example, sweeping the camera across lots of leaves in a tree fluttering in the wind.  There is absolutely no justification to downgrading your footage quality to H.264 at the same 100 Mbps bitrate.  If your computer can't keep up, you can create automatic proxies in Premiere -- or just upgrade your workstation.
2018-6-13
Use props
Lucas E. Vigano
New
Flight distance : 1587438 ft
Brazil

fanse7ab31d9 Posted at 2017-2-3 14:36
Official Adobe answer from Adobe Dave (yes, I work for Adobe)  ...- just saw this post  - as some of you might know, I work very closely with DJI with our tools and we try and test as early as we can. With new cameras/codecs/ firmware changes it takes time.. just being honest here...  (feel free to forward threads/topics on my youtube channel as that will forward to my  inbox automatically - just search dhelmly on Youtube.

Here's what actually happening with the H265/HEVC issue where some people can import and some can't. We first started support in CC2015 so any earlier versions don't have the codec. When you first try and import a H265 file a message should appear telling you that you need to license the codec . The license is part of Premiere Pro CC but not automatically turned on for every user unless they use it. WHY? there is actually a license  fee that we manage for you and it gets activated with your first Import or Export. You need to be connected to the internet for the first time you use it and once you do that you don't need to be connected to license again unless you re-install or there is a major update. We are always "tweaking" playback with CPU/GPU support.. BTW - H265 playback is decent in Premiere Pro CC 2017. Lots of people use it as a H265 player - BUT, Encoding takes a longtime  - just give us more time on that   I hope this helps .. Dave..

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, I had the same problem on my mac with Premiere cc2017 and only by editing the extension from .mov to .mp4 from the file name I could solve it.
Only the first time he told me to drag the file, he asked me to install the hevc codec, I gave him ok and the issue was solved.
Thank you!!
2021-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules