The ONE huge disappointment
1323 13 2016-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wRX9fOoAA2xi
lvl.1

United States

Just got my Mavic today! Finally! Ordered 10/4 USA

I've had two successful fights so far and love it....

HOWEVER.. I had to cut my second flight short since my phone (iPhone 5s) battery was low. Didn't even realize but it was at 10% right after take off. Doesn't seem like the controller charges the phone while plugged in. Luckily I landed it with 6% phone battery left... right when i took the phone off the controler, my phone died.

This is really a bummer because my phone is quite unreliable and now having to worry that the drone battery, controller battery AND phone are all fully charged before flight SUCKS. Would have much rather had a bulkier controller with a screen (I like what GoPro did for Karma's). This issue seems extremely contradictory to it being a great travel drone. what if you go on a long hike and then your bloody phone dies.... actually really annoyed about this. I hope DJI comes out with an alternate controller.

@ DJI - can you please confrim what will happen if my phone does die mid flight?
2016-12-1
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

This is not a disappointment concerning the mavic, it is something you knew beforehand. This is why I love quick charge on my Galaxy S6, 10mins gives me +20% charge extra on what I had left or so.

Since you have a 5s, I guess your battery is dieing, get it replaced and you will be surprised how much longer you phone works again. It is because a phones battery dies very slow, you don't notice it, but the moment you put a new battery in it, looks like you can go on forever on that new battery.

2016-12-1
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

This is why I bought a portable power bank to keep the phone charged if it gets low.
2016-12-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Hungary

I think when crystalsky is released this will solve those problems, you could opt to buy a cheap compatible phone, while waiting for CS and just dedicate it for your Mavic I'm thinking of doing the same myself when I get my Mavic and wait for CS to be released hopefully soon..
2016-12-1
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

iPhone5s is old buy a new phone and you battery will last much longer. Again this is user error for using a phone that is almost dead.
2016-12-1
Use props
Mavvy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1386637 ft
United States

So the Mavic is a HUGE disappointment to you because your ancient phones battery sucks ??????
2016-12-1
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

agree,  its a bummer,  but like taking extra batteries, for the drone,  have one for my phone, plus a quick charger,   seems to do different on different phones,  I  had  three full flights on my  android s5 and was only down to about 40 percent on phone battery,, but I did shut off all the other stuff,  unneeded when flying,
2016-12-1
Use props
HWKIDD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

agree,  its a bummer,  but like taking extra batteries, for the drone,  have one for my phone, plus a quick charger,   seems to do different on different phones,  I  had  three full flights on my  android s5 and was only down to about 40 percent on phone battery,, but I did shut off all the other stuff,  unneeded when flying,
2016-12-1
Use props
jsdiv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 258720 ft
United States

I have a lot of dual power banks that were given out at conferences over the years. I'd much prefer having less weight on the controller and keeping the power bank in my pocket. Maybe it's just preference, but a light iPhone 7 Plus along with light controller seems a better way to go.
2016-12-1
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100807 ft
Australia

Every time i go to fly i make sure everything is 100% charged (including phone) just to be safe. Your Mavic will still fly you just won't see the camera. If its out of sight use RTH and bring it home.
2016-12-1
Use props
Albatross911
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1708084 ft
Hong Kong

I use a LG V10 which can change battery, perfect to use with the Mavic!
2016-12-1
Use props
sailinghappysil
lvl.1

United States

OP does have a valid question...What happens when the phone dies mid flight?
2016-12-1
Use props
MR BringIt
lvl.2
United States

sailinghappysil Posted at 2016-12-2 00:12
OP does have a valid question...What happens when the phone dies mid flight?

probably the same thing that happens when the app crashes.  you either fly by sight(legally supposed too), or press return to home.  hopefully you have already set the RTH to a decent height.
2016-12-1
Use props
cluc
lvl.3
Flight distance : 85682 ft
Australia

get a new iphone :-)

You don't want to get Samsungs, some are banned on airplanes... so you cant take it with you on holidays... doh
2016-12-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules