Stuck Battery P4P
6601 22 2016-12-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Complex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 135689 ft
Australia

Is there a way to make an almost impossible to remove battery easier to remove? I literally can not grip it tight enough to pull it out, my colleagues can but i can not.

How can i address this issue?
2016-12-1
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Change your breakfast serial to something stronger. Anything that says 'Breakfast Of Champions' should be OK.
2016-12-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It can sometimes take pretty firm thumb and index finger.  Do you press the battery tabs firmly before attempting to pull it out?
2016-12-1
Use props
Complex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 135689 ft
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-2 13:51
It can sometimes take pretty firm thumb and index finger.  Do you press the battery tabs firmly befo ...

yeah i am pressing in the tabs all of the way.

This is the problem i have.
2016-12-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It is always better to have a tight one than a loose one. Hahaha

Well Yeah, but we are discussing an intelligent flight battery not assault & battery. ;-)
It will become a bit looser over time, just use it the best that you can, until it wears in, a bit.
You could also lightly sand paper the front inside of the battery compartment, if you really need a quick fix.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-1
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Golf_Sierra Posted at 2016-12-2 00:08
Would some lubrication help? Try some vaseline.

I could be mistaken, but in my honest opinion, That would be a bad suggestion, as it could possibly deteriorate the plastic shell, like a solvent.
After all, we are talking about a "petroleum" product.
A drop of Olive Oil or similar food grade product would probably be much safer, and a lot easier to clean off.
Even butter would be better than margarine. ;-)

RedHotPoker

2016-12-1
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Push the battery in while using your fingertips to press the tabs in then pull out.
(Ha Ha, If I didn't read your two posts and dji-Jamie's who knows what the other posters are talking about, Vaseline, margarine, butter etc,  ha ha!!, but I prefer to change hands!! anyway I had a bit of a giggle)
2016-12-2
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use two hands to remove battery putting both thumbs side by side on top clip, and same with first fingers on lower clip. Apply pressure to top and bottom clips and at the same time use back of left and right hand as levers against the arms of the quad to pull out battery.
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Complex Posted at 2016-12-2 14:47
yeah i am pressing in the tabs all of the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L3AN7ngR60

I can tell you're unlocking the top one, but can't really tell with the bottom tab. Like RedHoPoker mentioned, it does get a little easier over time. For now you may want to take the a steady up and out approach while having the unit on a table for support. You should feel the clamps moving a bit when you press the tabs in, that should let you know if the tabs are unlocking. Aardvark provides a good method as well.
2016-12-2
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

As there have been a few instances where a battery has become unlocked while up in the air, and the drone shut off midnight, a tight battery is much better to have.
Sorry if the OP is having a difficult time removing it, but as mentioned, over time with more use, yes it will loosen up a bit. Good luck. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-2
Use props
matt_stum
lvl.1

United States

I've run into the same problem.  Brand new P4P+ just arrived today.  The battery initially was quite easy to remove and I cycled it in and out a few times with no problems.  But the first time I had the P4P on for any length of time (about 40 minutes unsuccessfully trying to update the firmware) the unit got quite warm and the battery could not be removed.  It doesn't feel like an issue with the locking tabs, as they can be depressed quite easily.  I've let it cool down for an hour now and the thing is still locked. I suspect there was some swelling, but am afraid whatever part of the frame of the battery locked with the airframe is still attached.  I'm about to get out the Knipex... at my wits end here...
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

matt_stum Posted at 2016-12-16 10:59
I've run into the same problem.  Brand new P4P+ just arrived today.  The battery initially was quite easy to remove and I cycled it in and out a few times with no problems.  But the first time I had the P4P on for any length of time (about 40 minutes unsuccessfully trying to update the firmware) the unit got quite warm and the battery could not be removed.  It doesn't feel like an issue with the locking tabs, as they can be depressed quite easily.  I've let it cool down for an hour now and the thing is still locked. I suspect there was some swelling, but am afraid whatever part of the frame of the battery locked with the airframe is still attached.  I'm about to get out the Knipex... at my wits end here...

Does the casing seem to wiggle at all when you attempt to pull it out?
2016-12-15
Use props
fans7bd4f1f4
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-15 19:19
Does the casing seem to wiggle at all when you attempt to pull it out?

Same issue.  Was this ever resolved?
2017-7-14
Use props
fansb1fe1104
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

When I have problems getting the battery out, I use those grip things used to open jars and stuff. That usually makes it much easier.
2017-7-14
Use props
Lectro88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286411 ft

United States

Any lubricant is an attractant for dust, dirt,sand, grass... anything the props stir up and so on. which ends up an abbrasive to just get everywhere and wedge up worse   I tend to think your technique and strength will improve with time and practice.
Don't feel alone I'm a brute and my p3's (both of them)fought me at first.
If all else fails.. channel locks to the rescue and they probably will leave teeth marks. use the rubber can opener as a cushion.
grasping to give several good solutions.
2017-7-14
Use props
Vincent D
lvl.4
Flight distance : 622841 ft
United States

Golf_Sierra Posted at 2016-12-1 23:08
Would some lubrication help? Try some vaseline.

I use Astroglide for self pleasuring but above all battery lock lubrication. Its water soluble so it won't react adversely with the plastic.  Sorry couldn't resist.
2017-7-15
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simplest solution I've found is:-

stand behind aircraft with battery facing you. Place left and right thumbs on top catch, index fingers on lower catch. Squeeze to release catches and at the same time with backs of hands against aircraft body, 'lever' battery out. Dead easy, works every time, no other bits needed.
2017-7-15
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The Aardvark (and other experienced pilots) method:

If it's still too difficult to remove, try a couple drops of strategically placed olive oil before inserting the battery.  
2017-7-15
Use props
BobUnplugged
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

2017-7-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

When you get the batt out look for abnormal bulging that could signify a defective battery. If not, then sand away the 'high' points of contact a little. As others have said, snug is better than loose but too tight is of course not good, especially in the field.

2017-7-15
Use props
aFeinberg
lvl.1
United States

fans7bd4f1f4 Posted at 2017-7-14 03:38
Same issue.  Was this ever resolved?

Was able to free mine by jiggling rapidly while trying to pull out. Havent had an issue since

p.s.  thats what she said.  
2017-7-21
Use props
Konkal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 59423 ft
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-7-15 12:15
Simplest solution I've found is:-

stand behind aircraft with battery facing you. Place left and right thumbs on top catch, index fingers on lower catch. Squeeze to release catches and at the same time with backs of hands against aircraft body, 'lever' battery out. Dead easy, works every time, no other bits needed.

This worked great.

Thanks
2022-12-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules