Dubai Airport and Batteries Heads Up
7709 19 2016-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 434593 ft
Thailand

Today 02/12/2016 I passed through Dubai International Airport. Despite packing my batteries in my hand luggage and my Phantom 4 in my hold luggage as per Emirates Airways advice I had my batteries confiscated by security. Each battery was individually packed in Lipo Battery bags not that this made any difference. After they were confiscated I went to speak to Emirates and they told me that I had packed them as per their advice. The representative from Emirates went to speak to security. To keep it short Dubai Security's rules are different to the airline rules and batteries are not permitted in carry on luggage. I am now in Thailand with my Phantom 4 and no batteries and the batteries are gone for good. I am as you can imagine not at all happy. I'm not really in the mood to be lectured by anyone and this is posted solely with the intention of saving anyone else ending up in the same predicament.
Thank you.
2016-12-2
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Bad luck.

Wonder if DJI could make a slide-in holder to hold AA batteries (Some AA lithiums too.) that can be purchased anywhere and avoid the LiPo battery problems with the airlines?  I know Nikon made an external battery holder that takes AA batteries over the Lithium pack in some of their top end cameras.  It's just some plastic tray that replaces the other tray for the Lithium pack, just that it eats AA cells.

Still won't stop some places just seeing a drone and going ban-that nuts (Sweden).
2016-12-2
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-2 12:12
Bad luck.

Wonder if DJI could make a slide-in holder to hold AA batteries (Some AA lithiums too.) t ...

Not possible with the intelligent battery systems being used.
And I would never want to fly my aircraft using that method of power.
2016-12-2
Use props
Bel
lvl.1

Poland

Really crazy

I have one question - is it "only" problem when you use Emirates Airways or other also? I read somewhere that only Emirates Airlines have such rules.
2017-2-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Bel Posted at 2017-2-3 04:38
Really crazy

I have one question - is it "only" problem when you use Emirates Airways or other also? I read somewhere that only Emirates Airlines have such rules.

Most airlines will allow you to carry on, almost all airlines will not allow them in checked luggage, this emirates thing is extreme. You are also advised only to carry on batteries which are discharged,
2017-2-3
Use props
blackcrusader
lvl.4
Flight distance : 689774 ft
Taiwan

Thanks for the post.  
2017-2-3
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Thailand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-3 05:09
Most airlines will allow you to carry on, almost all airlines will not allow them in checked luggage, this emirates thing is extreme. You are also advised only to carry on batteries which are discharged,

It is not an Emirates rule. It is A Dubai Airport Security rule. Emirates have no say in the matter. The unfortunate thing is that they don't say this on their website. Considering Dubai is their major hub you would expect them to have appropriate advice on their site.
2017-2-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

fans417abfbd Posted at 2017-2-5 05:10
It is not an Emirates rule. It is A Dubai Airport Security rule. Emirates have no say in the matter. The unfortunate thing is that they don't say this on their website. Considering Dubai is their major hub you would expect them to have appropriate advice on their site.

Your right I have been checking some airlines and most have info regarding lipo batteries, but that is strange.
Sorry for your very expensive loss, not to mention diss appointment of not being able to use your AC on your trip, thanks for the heads up..
2017-2-5
Use props
DroneSmeg
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478461 ft
Taiwan

Wow, that's messed up. I read that Lithium ion batteries weren't allowed to be in checked luggage, so I simply took my drone and batteries as carry on on my recent flight to Thailand. I also put my DSLR battery in with the drone batteries as well.

I really hope the airline compensates you. Drone batteries aren't cheap.
2017-2-5
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Thailand

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-2-5 05:20
Your right I have been checking some airlines and most have info regarding lipo batteries, but that is strange.
Sorry for your very expensive loss, not to mention diss appointment of not being able to use your AC on your trip, thanks for the heads up..

You're welcome. It was an expensive experience.  It's a bit like Emirates saying "yes you can bring them on board if you can smuggle them through security"
2017-2-5
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
Thailand

DroneSmeg Posted at 2017-2-5 05:26
Wow, that's messed up. I read that Lithium ion batteries weren't allowed to be in checked luggage, so I simply took my drone and batteries as carry on on my recent flight to Thailand. I also put my DSLR battery in with the drone batteries as well.

I really hope the airline compensates you. Drone batteries aren't cheap.

Thanks. I contacted Emirates and basically their reply amounted to "tough!" I am waiting until I get home before I  take the matter further.
2017-2-5
Use props
fans9a738ae4
New
United Arab Emirates

All airlines allow batteries in carry on because any lithium battery fire can be handled in the cabin but not in the cargo. Unfortunately with Dubai customs you never know. They can basically say and do whatever they want in their country. Luckily for us they check the bags randomly so just smile, be respectful and nice - they may just let you go. Be careful also with flying drone outside of desert here - your device should be registered and you are not allowed to use any camera... You may download UAE Drone app that shows restricted areas.

PS. If you are traveling to US through Dubai check the updates on carriage of electronics! Only mobile phones are allowed in cabin bag

2017-4-20
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans9a738ae4 Posted at 2017-4-20 22:50
All airlines allow batteries in carry on because any lithium battery fire can be handled in the cabin but not in the cargo. Unfortunately with Dubai customs you never know. They can basically say and do whatever they want in their country. Luckily for us they check the bags randomly so just smile, be respectful and nice - they may just let you go. Be careful also with flying drone outside of desert here - your device should be registered and you are not allowed to use any camera... You may download UAE Drone app that shows restricted areas.

PS. If you are traveling to US through Dubai check the updates on carriage of electronics! Only mobile phones are allowed in cabin bag

Trusting to luck doesn't seem much of a plan when you are at the risk of loosing hundreds of pounds worth of batteries. Personally I will never travel through Dubai again. The security staff are corrupt and that my friends come from the mouth of an Emirates customer services employee.
2017-4-21
Use props
ianza
lvl.3
Flight distance : 200374 ft
United Arab Emirates

Any recent updates on this issue? Did anyone had trouble travelling in and out from Dubai carrying mavic and spare batteries?
2017-7-2
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I've traveled through DXB three times with drones. Twice with P4P, and once with Mavic. My P4P got swabbed for explosives once, but was quickly on my way. Had no other issues.

This was through Terminal 1 though. Emirates has a no drone rule in carry on (Terminal 3).
2017-7-2
Use props
fivetonine
lvl.4
Flight distance : 985135 ft
  • >>>
Austria

One more reason to never go to this country. There's plenty of other cool stuff in the world.
2017-7-2
Use props
themiyao
lvl.3
Flight distance : 29386 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

ianza Posted at 2017-7-2 00:35
Any recent updates on this issue? Did anyone had trouble travelling in and out from Dubai carrying mavic and spare batteries?

I live in Dubai and have traveled many times from Dubai to other countries back and forth with drones. But all were through Terminal 3 and I had no issues whatsoever.

Batteries obviously have to hand carry. I suggest you put into a lipo bag and put it on a different tray when you go through scanning process. That's how I do and they stop me everytime to ask what is it bla bla bla. But nothing got confiscated.

I even hand carried Parrot Disco with that huge backpack. Got no issues. But I always Put my P4P in my check luggage to avoid these issues. But I take spark hand carry.
2018-8-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

My Office is in Dubai with sub offices in Jebel Ali and Fujaira. I fly often with Emirates and Turkish Airlines. Both have questions about carriage of any batterys when checking in at Dubai.... that's my experience.

Never had any problems as I carry power banks and all sorts ...

But here's a story that shows that Terminal 3 Security and Emirates can be really good !

I passed through Term 3 just over a week ago on way home to Latvia.  The detectors were on high and went through it 3x ... but still it Beeped and red ... guy took me aside and did a full pat down ... explosives / drug wipes ... Finally cleared and collected my stuff ...
Took my flight to Hamburg and because of entering EU etc. - passed security again ... it was then I realised I had left my car key in Dubai Security ....

My Car sitting at Riga Airport waiting for me to drive home. I telephoned a friend who collected me and we decided best was to leave car in the car park at airport and go home ... 3hrs drive. Plan to get replacement key from Renault  ... (they told me ... 220 Euros and 2 - 3 weeks plus code programming at dealers only !)
Next day after getting home - I decided to telephone Dubai Airport ... they advised it would be better for someone from my office to visit airport.
Guys from my office went to airport ... Security had passed the key to Lost and Found. Emirates being my carrier were very good and arranged the Lost and Found to make key available ... my guys photo'd and sent me picture to confirm ... I sent back Car Technical Pass copy and confirmation it was the key.

I rec'd the key few days later and car is now at home. I can only thank Emirates and Dubai Security + Lost and Found for understanding and finding the key.

Nigel
2018-8-26
Use props
fans417abfbd
lvl.4

solentlife Posted at 2018-8-26 05:14
My Office is in Dubai with sub offices in Jebel Ali and Fujaira. I fly often with Emirates and Turkish Airlines. Both have questions about carriage of any batterys when checking in at Dubai.... that's my experience.

Never had any problems as I carry power banks and all sorts ...

I think it’s a question of luck. However I have traveled to Asia several times since and as a matter of principal I will not fly with emirates or fly on a route that stops in Dubai. They can stick it where the sun don’t shine as far as I’m concerned but others are welcome to make their own choices
2018-8-26
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

With Dubai fast becoming the main hub for travel through that region - soon I don't think many will have choice of being able to avoid it. The expansion and plans are just bulldozing through ...

Nigel
2018-8-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules