P4P - Just Arrived - Things To Do Before Flight?
1807 31 2016-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MasterJack
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I have my P4P waiting at home. May rain all day so not sure if I can fly.

I know the usual stuff along with GO App 4.0 but do I need to do an IMU calibration out of the box? Any other suggestions? Video/Photo settings, etc?

Thanks all,

John
2016-12-2
Use props
Ely324
lvl.3
Flight distance : 904888 ft
United States

Just got my P4P too... charging her up before i have to go to work, might get a first flight in!
2016-12-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Mine needed NO IMU, gimbal, or compass calibrations.

Upon the first time tapping manual focus (AF/MF button on-screen), it'll ask you to calibrate the lens.  Just skip it if it's raining out & you're just playing around inside.  You'll be able to re-do that under the slider icon on-screen for camera settings.

Plug your P4P into a computer with DJI Assistant 2.  Mine needed a firmware update to that x201 on 11/25.  The DJI GO 4 app said "Latest Firmware" that whole time, too.
2016-12-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

I'm using D-Cinelike because it produces the most CRAZY accurate colors and dynamic range in H.265.  The same in H.264 doesn't look as good AT ANY resolution.  HEVC smokes it.  60fps HEVC doesn't play on anything though.
And 0,0,0 "Standard" for the profile or whatever.
2016-12-2
Use props
MasterJack
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Guys - thanks so much! Great info. This will eventually make a good 'sticky' thread I suspect.

I'll see how it goes.

Thanks again,

John
2016-12-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

MasterJack Posted at 2016-12-2 12:16
Guys - thanks so much! Great info. This will eventually make a good 'sticky' thread I suspect.

I'll ...

BTW, you'll have to re-enable all the horizontal object avoidance stuff after every power cycle.  It's 2 toggles: 1 under tapfly and another under activetrack.

Depending on the takeoff conditions, precision landing might be toggled OFF also.

I go in there & ENABLE EVERYTHING every time.  It didn't go nuts or drift over water yet, so ENABLED it is.  And I mean LOW over water (like inches, lol).  I didn't MEAN to get it that close, but I noticed on the footage later.  It never popped up & asked me if I wanted to land or anything scary.
2016-12-2
Use props
MasterJack
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-2 14:20
BTW, you'll have to re-enable all the horizontal object avoidance stuff after every power cycle.  I ...

Is this a bug or on purpose that it has to be done every time? Seems odd....
2016-12-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

MasterJack Posted at 2016-12-2 12:30

It's so that YOU interact with it and COMMAND IT to fly OFF COURSE, which is inherently risking compared to STOPPING (which it'll do instead of go around).  I get it, it's just a bit of a nanny.
2016-12-2
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

MasterJack Posted at 2016-12-2 12:30

OK, I am incorrect.  Seems those toggles now stick with the new firmware I did last night.  So, disregard my statements about the toggles for horizontal.

BTW, horizontal avoidance is pretty cool.  The screen tells you everything that is going on.  In Tripod Mode, you're even more informed with the sideways indicators on-screen.
2016-12-2
Use props
fans6c69eba4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100331 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-3 09:16
OK, I am incorrect.  Seems those toggles now stick with the new firmware I did last night.  So, di ...

DRONE-flies,

you should start a thread for newbies. I get my P4P+ on Tuesday and I'm very excited, but somewhat apprehensive in what are the initial steps. Long-story-short, start a thread with either bullet points or 1-5 steps etc on mandatory things to do to setup your first flight... please

Thanks for your informative post!!
2016-12-4
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-2 20:02
Mine needed NO IMU, gimbal, or compass calibrations.

Upon the first time tapping manual focus (AF/M ...

I would guess every P4P that is purchased will be exactly as yours is, but DJI say "YOU MUST DO AN IMU AND COMPASS CALIBRATION "  it's a shame no one can do the IMU
2016-12-4
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

fans6c69eba4 Posted at 2016-12-4 00:59
DRONE-flies,

you should start a thread for newbies. I get my P4P+ on Tuesday and I'm very excited ...

LOL, not necessary.  This P4P really inspires confidence.  Just take it slow & fly it close & low.  You'll crap your pants the first time you go over 50 meters!  But the clarity & quality of the FPV makes it seem non-eventful compared to looking up at it.

I think the BEST ADVICE is to start in TRIPOD MODE - totally skip Beginner Mode.  Tripod Mode is perfect and seriously makes this thing idiot-proof (just watch ground clearance).

Oh & triple check ALL the settings before firing up the motors (drone powered on though).  I've found that toggling this or that will change other parameters FOR NO REASON elsewhere (namely CAMERA settings).  It seems like it's messing with my RAW/JPG and focus assist a lot.  So it sucks to land & your footage blows.

Remembering to focus isn't detrimental (WHEW!) on this P4P.  It seems to start up in "infinity" focus, because I forget EVERY time, lol, and my footage rocks!  A simple "FOCUS" sticker on the R/C would remedy this.
2016-12-4
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

OH, wanted to add to the "not necessary."  I've been starting & ending flights in the garage or under trees quite a bit.  GPS definitely goes in & out a lot here in these thick trees, BUT THIS P4P doesn't seem to care!  It flies like a champ even if you're not paying attention to how many sats & all that stuff the sophisticated drone 'should' be doing.  
2016-12-4
Use props
fans6c69eba4
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-5 05:52
LOL, not necessary.  This P4P really inspires confidence.  Just take it slow & fly it close & low. ...

When you say 'check settings' u mean something like checking firmware?
2016-12-4
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

fans6c69eba4 Posted at 2016-12-4 12:23
When you say 'check settings' u mean something like checking firmware?

Before flying the first time or doing ANY calibrating or ANYTHING, plug your fully-charged P4P into any DJI Assistant 2-equipped computer (just not Mac OS Sierra).  NOW CHECK the firmware version.  If you need to update it, do it AND NEVER disconnect the USB - EVER (pretty sure some people have messed that up).  I also did the VPS calibration available from within DJI Assistant 2.  Again, I never disconnected THE USB CABLE from the P4P this whole time - about a half-hour (30 minutes for Metric people).

Check all of your camera settings.  Seems both the video AND photo settings toggle on/off on their own.  RAW keeps changing to JPG.  Both Focus Assists toggle off.  I believe most, if not all, of this is upon switching from H.264 to H.265 & back again.  This is on the P4P+ flavor.
2016-12-4
Use props
Snowwolfwarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1064780 ft
United Kingdom

Don't forget to set your RTH height to be above any tall things around you
2016-12-4
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
United States

My gimbal was also twitching DURING FORWARD FLIGHT. After a couple flights, I ended up doing the "Auto Gimbal Calibration" and it fixed it.

I still haven't done a compass or IMU calibration.  Fingers crossed!  LOL
2016-12-4
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Snowwolfwarrior Posted at 2016-12-4 17:14
I would guess every P4P that is purchased will be exactly as yours is, but DJI say "YOU MUST DO AN ...

"but DJI say "YOU MUST DO AN IMU AND COMPASS CALIBRATION "  it's a shame no one can do the IMU "

Can you point me to where DJI say that?
I can't find anything like that in the manual or the quick start guide.
People make problems for themselves when they go making up their own "rules" like that.

2016-12-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2016-12-5 10:57
"but DJI say "YOU MUST DO AN IMU AND COMPASS CALIBRATION "  it's a shame no one can do the IMU "

Umm, true that people shouldn't make authorative statements not based on real advice, but regardless - IMU and compass calibration should be possible. It's a concern if the action can't be performed, regardless of how often it's really needed.

Mine is on the way, so I'm watching this issue keenly. But off topic now. Thanks to all for the Starting Tips.
2016-12-4
Use props
fans6c69eba4
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-5 08:28
Before flying the first time or doing ANY calibrating or ANYTHING, plug your fully-charged P4P into any DJI Assistant 2-equipped computer (just not Mac OS Sierra).  NOW CHECK the firmware version.  If you need to update it, do it AND NEVER disconnect the USB - EVER (pretty sure some people have messed that up).  I also did the VPS calibration available from within DJI Assistant 2.  Again, I never disconnected THE USB CABLE from the P4P this whole time - about a half-hour (30 minutes for Metric people).

Check all of your camera settings.  Seems both the video AND photo settings toggle on/off on their own.  RAW keeps changing to JPG.  Both Focus Assists toggle off.  I believe most, if not all, of this is upon switching from H.264 to H.265 & back again.  This is on the P4P+ flavor.

Got my P4P+ today! extremely excited – my first drone. Your help is very much appreciated DRONE_flies.
2016-12-5
Use props
EpicLPer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80272 ft
Austria

Basic steps:
  • Charge Batteries (Remote and Aircraft Battery)
  • Check for firmware updates and install them, afterwards check SD Card logs for any failures
  • Go outside and see if any of the sensors show an error before flying (let it warm up a minute first)
  • Check sensors again after warmup, if any sensor shows yellow (not green) better do a calibration
  • Take off and let it hover, see if you spot something abnormal
  • If everything seems fine and you're an experienced pilot try some really fast movements (full left to sudden full right and so on) and check if there are any errors coming up, if yes check sensors again
  • Full throttle upwards and downwards and see if any errors come up, same as above
  • If not you're most likely safe to fly and enjoy your new drone!

That's at least what I do with mine
2016-12-5
Use props
fans6c69eba4
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

EpicLPer Posted at 2016-12-5 21:08
Basic steps:
  • Charge Batteries (Remote and Aircraft Battery)
  • Check for firmware updates and install them, afterwards check SD Card logs for any failures

• Thanks EpicPer!

Can you please clarify in further detail step 3, when you say "Go outside and see if any of the sensors show an error".

How do I check the sensors? In the App u mean?
    2016-12-5
    Use props
    EpicLPer
    lvl.2
    Flight distance : 80272 ft
    Austria

fans6c69eba4 Posted at 2016-12-5 12:00
    Thanks EpicPer!

Can you please clarify in further detail step 3, when you say "Go outside and see if any of the sensors show an error".

Yes
    You can check those in the upper right menus, some are hidden inside some "Advanced" menus but you'll sure find them.
    And with "going outside to check them" you'll minimize the risk of having interference around you.
    2016-12-5
    Use props
    fans6c69eba4
    lvl.4
    • >>>
    Australia

EpicLPer Posted at 2016-12-5 22:04
    Yes
    You can check those in the upper right menus, some are hidden inside some "Advanced" menus but you'll sure find them.
    And with "going outside to check them" you'll minimize the risk of having interference around you.

Thank you!
    2016-12-5
    Use props
    DRONE-flies-YOU
    lvl.4
    United States

When you fire up everything, that summary screen pops up.  That's where I tap DETAILS midway down.  Not only can I then check the vitals, but now I'm in the menus to double check stuff.

*Be advised that (at least on the P4P+), THAT SCREEN will NOT tell you about new firmware right now.  DJI Assistant 2 for the P4P will be required to "be sure."  
    2016-12-5
    Use props
    fans6c69eba4
    lvl.4
    • >>>
    Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-6 04:48
    When you fire up everything, that summary screen pops up.  That's where I tap DETAILS midway down.  Not only can I then check the vitals, but now I'm in the menus to double check stuff.

*Be advised that (at least on the P4P+), THAT SCREEN will NOT tell you about new firmware right now.  DJI Assistant 2 for the P4P will be required to "be sure."

OK,

1. I have charged the battery, and the controller. All good
    2. Checked the Firmware via DJI Assistant – is current.3. Motors tested. All good
    4. All camera and clock settings remain on restart.

My only question, is the 'Calibrate compass' mandatory? As shown in the "Phantom 4 Tutorials - How to Fly - Part 3 of 5" There are no P4P Tutorial videos yet. so I want to be sure.

Haven't flown it yet. We have storms in mmy area at the moment. Oh the excitment!
    Thanks again guys

Thanks!

2016-12-5
    Use props
    MHM1170
    lvl.2

United States

Has any one noticed how loud the P4P is ?........
    2016-12-6
    Use props
    hallmark007
    Captain
    Flight distance : 9827923 ft
    • >>>
    Hungary

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-12-6 15:08

Slightly less noisy than P4 , but a fair bit noisier than Mavic , I would say..
    2016-12-6
    Use props
    DRONE-flies-YOU
    lvl.4
    United States

fans6c69eba4 Posted at 2016-12-5 23:25
    OK,

Unless the app asks you or those values for the compass are NOT green, why mess with it?  I've done a firmware update, even, and STILL haven't done the first IMU or COMPASS calibration on this P4P+.

I refuse to check my tire pressures EVER now since the car just tells me the PSI at each wheel.  I'll only check if the car goes ding, ding, ding & says something.  
    2016-12-6
    Use props
    fans6c69eba4
    lvl.4
    • >>>
    Australia

DRONE-flies-YOU Posted at 2016-12-7 03:45
    Unless the app asks you or those values for the compass are NOT green, why mess with it?  I've done a firmware update, even, and STILL haven't done the first IMU or COMPASS calibration on this P4P+.

I refuse to check my tire pressures EVER now since the car just tells me the PSI at each wheel.  I'll only check if the car goes ding, ding, ding & says something.

Thanks mate!
    2016-12-6
    Use props
    Labroides
    Core User of DJI
    Flight distance : 9991457 ft
    • >>>
    Australia

fans6c69eba4 Posted at 2016-12-6 18:25
    OK,

"My only question, is the 'Calibrate compass' mandatory? "
    Page 57 of the manual seems pretty clear as to when you should recalibrate the compass for the P4pro.
    First thing on the top of the page.
    (and it's not what a lot of people think)
    2016-12-6
    Use props
    Punchbuggy
    Second Officer
    Flight distance : 483166 ft
    • >>>
    Australia

MHM1170 Posted at 2016-12-7 01:08

There's another thread on more extreme experiences regarding fan noise. So you're aware :
    http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D386%26typeid%3D386
    2016-12-6
    Use props
    Advanced
    You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules