Can I get some opinions from you guys...
1172 19 2016-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4341 ft
United States

Okay, I've had my Mavic a few days now and haven't really flown it yet. I wanted to take my time and get very familiar with it. I own a P2V+v3 and 2 P3Pro's and am very familiar with them. I do a lot of flying. I've done all of the set-up advised by DJI, including IMU and Compass cals (I know there is some discussion about not doing the IMU cal unless told to do so by the app but I had already done it prior to reading about it). I have a Marco Polo tracker on the battery of the bird but it acts the same whether its on there or not. I'm attaching a video clip of my Mavic just hovering without any stick input from me. I've tried it with all of the sensors turned on and with them all turned off, the result is the same. As I stated earlier, I've also done the tests with and without the tracker attached. I may be paranoid but does it look and sound right to you?

Thanks for any input you provide!

Jerry

2016-12-2
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

It looks jittery to me, but I notice that the big evergreens in the back are noticeably moving in a wind.  If there were wind gusts going on, it could explain the movement of the drone.
2016-12-2
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I see snow on the ground so it could be cold.
2016-12-2
Use props
Nerds=Drones
lvl.2

United States

What sticking off the back of it?
2016-12-2
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Nerds=Drones Posted at 2016-12-2 20:33
What sticking off the back of it?

Marco Polo tracker.
2016-12-2
Use props
hridge
lvl.3
Flight distance : 17651 ft
United States

Was the controller itself calibrated?
2016-12-2
Use props
Hpdb301
lvl.1
Flight distance : 58642 ft
United States

looks and sounds exactly like a Mavic Hovering in the Wind.  That's very minor movement, it's staying relatively in the same spot, which is what you want and no real fluctuation in altitude.  But if you're not comfortable with it don't fly it out yet, keep it close.  Your the only one who can decide whether you and your aircraft are ready to venture out into the unknown.
2016-12-2
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Petroboy Posted at 2016-12-2 14:31
It looks jittery to me, but I notice that the big evergreens in the back are noticeably moving in a  ...

Petro,

The wind was very slight. Seemed to move around a bit more than my P3's. Thanks for the reply!

Jerry
2016-12-2
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Warrior200 Posted at 2016-12-2 14:31
I think your mavic has Parkinson's. Hold on I see snow on the ground so it could be cold.

Warrior,

Came straight out of the house, everything at room temp but outdoor temp was 33f. Thanks for the reply!

Jerry
2016-12-2
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

hridge Posted at 2016-12-2 14:42
Was the controller itself calibrated?

Hridge,

Yes, the RC was calibrated slowly and throughly. Thanks for the reply!

Jerry
2016-12-2
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

Hpdb301 Posted at 2016-12-2 14:42
looks and sounds exactly like a Mavic Hovering in the Wind.  That's very minor movement, it's stayin ...

HP,

Wind was really low. Just getting opinions before I take off. Thanks for the reply!

Jerry
2016-12-2
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-12-2 14:49
Petro,

The wind was very slight. Seemed to move around a bit more than my P3's. Thanks for the re ...

Try this again early in the morning when it is extremely calm and see if the movement persists. To me it looks like its just fighting the wind to stay stationary.
2016-12-2
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

dotfiles Posted at 2016-12-2 14:53
Try this again early in the morning when it is extremely calm and see if the movement persists. To ...

Dot,

Will do. Thanks for the reply!

Jerry
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-12-2 13:51
Hridge,

Yes, the RC was calibrated slowly and throughly. Thanks for the reply!

I think it's just a matter of the wind and maybe also the settings, you can lower the sensitivity and the gains.
Try that and then see how it reacts.Also, you need to calibrate the compass if you remove the Marco Polo, and then recalibrate when you add it again.
Whenever you add or remove something that has metal in it, please calibrate the compass.
2016-12-2
Use props
dlinnell
lvl.1
Canada

Mine's rock solid - even in moderate wind. That looks super jumpy to me.
2016-12-2
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-2 15:00
I think it's just a matter of the wind and maybe also the settings, you can lower the sensitivity a ...

Ken,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I read your post in another thread about calibrating the compass when taking the tracker on and off, so that's what I've been doing. I wasn't sure if I should start messing with the default settings, I didn't want to cover up a potential problem. What settings do you think I should alter? Doesn't it look a little twitchy to you? The wind was very slight.

Thanks,

Jerry
2016-12-2
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

dlinnell Posted at 2016-12-2 15:32
Mine's rock solid - even in moderate wind. That looks super jumpy to me.

dlinnell,

Yeah, that's what I think too. I've watched a lot of YT videos and most seem to be much more stable than this even with some wind. What version of Go are you using 3 or 4? Are you on the latest firmware? Did you calibrate your IMU? Thanks for the reply.

Jerry
2016-12-2
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

JtrJr-UAV Pilot Posted at 2016-12-2 14:44
Ken,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I read your post in another thread about calibrating the compass w ...

If in zero wind and it's like that then lower the sensitivity and the gains.
Just write down the settings and slowly lower then until your happy. Also YouTube DJI gains and sensitivity and there's some videos that explain how the aircraft reacts to adjustments.
2016-12-2
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Your Mavic looks very "twitchy" for light winds. As ken has advised, adding anything to the airframe needs recalibration of the compass. I'm no expert, but have you tried it without the Marco Polo tracker in place just for a comparison?
Lastly, I have calibrated everything on the Mavic from the IMU to the optical image calibration of the sensor cameras. If it's available to calibrate, then there should be no need to fear calibration of all options, so long as you do it correctly, eg: on a level surface where appropriate, away from any interference (metal objects, smart phone wifi, home wifi,  smart watch or blue tooth devices etc amongst others)
The only procedural part of calibration I'm still waiting for an answer on, is the last stage of IMU calibration as to whether the Mavic should sit upright on it's "haunches" unaided with a 15` tilt backwards, or if it should be supported vertically upright.
2016-12-2
Use props
JtrJr-UAV Pilot
Second Officer
United States

rick39 Posted at 2016-12-2 16:24
Your Mavic looks very "twitchy" for light winds. As ken has advised, adding anything to the airframe ...

Rick,

Yes, I've calibrated the compass with and without the Marco Polo on the bird and got the same result. I'm not the least bit concerned with doing calibrations and have been doing them on my P2 and P3's for quite a while now. I'm very careful with any type of interfering objects and do all of my calibrations as precisely as possible. I too, was wondering about the final stage of the IMU calibration and have now tried it both ways, in the tilted fashion as described and with the legs resting on a piece of foam to keep the bird fully upright. It didn't seem to make any difference. Thanks for the reply.

Jerry
2016-12-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules