Compass calibration fails (metal in body?)
2439 16 2016-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ledg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 780958 ft
United Kingdom

i have recieved my mavic pro today. But i can not get the compass to calibrate. i am stood in the middle of my garden doing it as shown on lots of videos and in the manual. i leave the controller and phone away from me on the ground, but it fails every time.  The slight problem i may have is if titanium affects it as i have a plate in my collar bone. id get my girlfriend to try but see has one in her arm (yes we are accident prone lol).  Does anyone know if my plate could be a problem? Or is there something wrong with my mavic?
2016-12-2
Use props
jkvenuti64
lvl.2
Flight distance : 88543 ft
  • >>>
United States

no need for the calibration unless you have issues.  Mine said normal when I first flew, therefore if it aint broke...don't mess with it.
2016-12-2
Use props
MavicNewbie
lvl.3
Flight distance : 668015 ft
United States

Please note when you rotate your drone vertically, you need point the drone nose (front) downward.

I got calibration error when I point it upward -- I think Dji should make it clear in the app calibration intro.
2016-12-2
Use props
chuck9
lvl.2
United States

I don't think that titanium is magnetic, that should not have an effect, other than being cool.
2016-12-2
Use props
Ledg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

jkvenuti64 Posted at 2016-12-2 21:28
no need for the calibration unless you have issues.  Mine said normal when I first flew, therefore i ...

mines telling me to calibrate the compass, i don't dare take it off incase it just drifts and crashes because of the compass error
2016-12-2
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

sometimes you have to go more than 360 degrees spin before it acknowledges the calibration.  I have seen some in the past not go far enough and the calibration would fail.  
2016-12-2
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

You're not wearing a watch, or worse still a smart watch?
2016-12-2
Use props
Ledg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

rick39 Posted at 2016-12-2 22:42
You're not wearing a watch, or worse still a smart watch?

No. its working now. no idea what i did differently but it failed then i retried and its started working. guess it calibrated. not standing near your phone you can't read what it says. but the light didn't flash red readily like it had when it failed.  I say leave it well alone now till it makes me do it again.
2016-12-2
Use props
AYA74
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2002713 ft
  • >>>
France

You can read through this post. A few other users including me had the same problem. I got mine eventually fixed by sending it back to DJI. It is a problem of faulty compass board.
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=72487&page=2&mobile=2#pid579621
2016-12-2
Use props
AYA74
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2002713 ft
  • >>>
France

One more thing. To identify if the same is same as mine, you need to check the settings of the compass sensors and see if one of the two compasses moves to the green zone but the other one stays in red.
2016-12-2
Use props
Ledg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

AYA74 Posted at 2016-12-3 04:45
One more thing. To identify if the same is same as mine, you need to check the settings of the compa ...

It started working. Both compasses are in the green zone now, but when in sports mode and sometimes in normal mode when going full throttle forward it comes up with a compass error, as soon as i let go of the stick the error goes every time. I'm afraid to do another compass calibration as it took so long to get it to work the first time. Seems to fly alright, slight drift when its dark in my yard (not sure if thats normal, only had about 10 sats
2016-12-3
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Ledg Posted at 2016-12-4 03:38
It started working. Both compasses are in the green zone now, but when in sports mode and sometime ...

I think low light drifting is due to the position sensor not being able to see the ground well enough. Next time it starts to drift, try disabling the downward position sensor to see if it corrects the problem. If not, could be a compass issue.
2016-12-3
Use props
Ledg
lvl.2
United Kingdom

it Lost gps today with after having 17 sats. luckly i noticed and managed to fly it a bit further in atti and it regained satellite connection and continued to fly home. Guessing this could also be due to compass calibration. i need to go find a nice big grass field to do a recalibration in the middle off.
2016-12-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Ledg Posted at 2016-12-4 23:57
it Lost gps today with after having 17 sats. luckly i noticed and managed to fly it a bit further in atti and it regained satellite connection and continued to fly home. Guessing this could also be due to compass calibration. i need to go find a nice big grass field to do a recalibration in the middle off.

After the re-calibration, please test it and let us know the results.
If still have lost GPS signal issue, please sync your flight records. I'll help to check it.
2016-12-4
Use props
djiuser_64FAenFSKFnk
New

New Zealand

Hello I have calibration problem because of long titanium rod n lower leg can I use any thing to shield it???please
2019-1-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Titanium is barely magnetic.  Might be your plate has other metals besides Titanium in it, that are magnetic.
2019-1-19
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

You could use one of Free (or nearly Free) Android or iPhone Apps to see if your plate (for some reason) is causing magnetic interference, thus effecting Earth's magnetic field.
2019-1-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules