When Mavic's attack
1426 13 2016-12-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chasiu75
lvl.3
Flight distance : 154885 ft
United States

Testing the front avoidance sensors today it would back up if I confronted the drone. But sometimes it would move towards me instead! Has anyone had this happen? It was like someone trying to try and scare you by pretending they were going to hit you. But it actually moved forward and I had to jump backwards.

2016-12-2
Use props
dotfiles
lvl.3

United States

I think the sensors are meant to stop the drone if it is flying forwards and is going to hit an object, not move the drone backwards and out of the way if an object is advancing on it...?
2016-12-2
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

The first time I tested it would not back up. But today it would a little. But then it came at me.
2016-12-2
Use props
FPVJunkie
lvl.2
Flight distance : 66421 ft
United States

I'm definitely not going to play chicken with my Mavic... lol. I think dotfiles is correct though, in the manual it shows it slowing down and stopping in front of an obstacle, then ascending, and going over. Luckily yours didn't decide to go "up, up, and away". lol
2016-12-2
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Malaysia

There is an option to enable in DJI Go app if you want it to move backward when sensing object approaching it. By default it's off.
2016-12-3
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

Pierre35 Posted at 2016-12-3 08:25
There is an option to enable in DJI Go app if you want it to move backward when sensing object appro ...

Pierre35 is right, by default that setting is off. Have you altered the gain settings too? The Mavic should not get closer to an object once the avoidance system has detected it and stopped, unless possibly there's a "bounce back" pendulum effect been induced by turning the gain settings too high on the forward stick.
2016-12-3
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Australia

Pierre35 Posted at 2016-12-3 19:25
There is an option to enable in DJI Go app if you want it to move backward when sensing object appro ...

The option only refers to backing up while tracking something. It doesn't sound like it applies to backing up to avoid an obstacle. I tested this (albeit briefly) just now. Even when I enabled the backing up option, the Mavic didn't back up when I approached it. (Normal flight mode, not tracking)

Is it possible that the time you thought it did back away from you was just a bit of a drift? It may have momentarily been pushed backwards, and then moved forward again to compensate for the drift. What distance was the Mavic from you?
2016-12-3
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
Flight distance : 668015 ft
United States

The sensor has its own limitations, it couldn't be either too dark nor too bright.
2016-12-3
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2016-12-3 16:56
The option only refers to backing up while tracking something. It doesn't sound like it applies to ...

" Is it possible that the time you thought it did back away from you was just a bit of a drift? It may have momentarily been pushed backwards, and then moved forward again to compensate for the drift. What distance was the Mavic from you? "
I agree with this.
2016-12-3
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

Thank you for everyone's feedback. It was getting dark at the time. It is possible it acts strange in the dark. I will try to post a video.
2016-12-3
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

Here is the video.  I just uploaded it.

2016-12-3
Use props
Jake Phantom 3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2639747 ft
United States

I think it was GPS and avoidance at work. You approached it and it backed off to avoid you. GPS, brought it back to the original position it was in when you approached it.
2016-12-3
Use props
J-dub
lvl.1
United States

chasiu75 Posted at 2016-12-3 08:14
Thank you for everyone's feedback. It was getting dark at the time. It is possible it acts strange i ...

I've read in the manual that the avoidance sensors need good lighting to work their best.
2016-12-3
Use props
chasiu75
lvl.3
United States

Jake Phantom 3  Posted at 2016-12-4 05:29
I think it was GPS and avoidance at work. You approached it and it backed off to avoid you. GPS, bro ...

If you watch the lower right corner of the screen you can see it keeps coming closer.  It did not stay or return to its resting position.
2016-12-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules