Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Possible solution for DJI Mobile + iPhone 7 & 6s Plus OIS wobbling
4027 8 2016-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
icode
lvl.1

United States

Using ProCam app could solve the issue of OIS wobbling.

In ProCam app, there is a mode called 4K Max which shoots in higher resolution (4032x2268) than 4K. This is different than disabling image stabilization in Filmic Pro, which only disables software stabilization.

ProCam's 4K Max mode does not use OIS at all, and it should work well with DJI Mobile.

Can anyone try it and post their results and video?

2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I really doubt it. The OIS is a hardware design in the rear camera of Iphone and also includes a software option. You can turn off the software part yet it's not possible to turn off the hardware part in with an app. It has to be countered with a hardware intervention. Like attaching a small piece of magnet around the rear camera(I don't recommend this though)
2016-12-4
Use props
stardust1008
New

Germany

I have not yet tested the 4K Max Mode. But i wrote to the Procam Support:

i have a question regarding the 4K Max Video in App Purchase. You write that any stabilization will be deactivated in this mode.

Is only the Cinematic Software stabilizer deactived or also the OIS (hardware based) stabilizer of the iPhone 7? I think it is not possible to deactive the OIS Stabilizer?

I use the DJI Osmo Mobile gimbal and it would be great if any stabilizer could be deactivated with Procam.

Answer from ProCam:

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

"Yes, both OIS and DIS are disabled, To get a better idea of the methodology used, please visit or tutorials page: procamapp.com/tutorials."

Has someone experience with the 4K Max Mode of ProCam 4?
2017-4-18
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

stardust1008 Posted at 2017-4-18 06:24
I have not yet tested the 4K Max Mode. But i wrote to the Procam Support:

i have a question regarding the 4K Max Video in App Purchase. You write that any stabilization will be deactivated in this mode.

The REAL Truth:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=552024
2017-4-20
Use props
jeffbake
lvl.3
Flight distance : 955587 ft
  • >>>
United States

It does look like an app can use the api to turn off OIS Apple Dev Forum
From the cited developer documentation. The question was specifically about using DJI OSMO Mobile product:

For video capture, the AVCaptureConnection preferredVideoStabilizationMode property automatically enables both optical and digital stabilization on devices supporting video OIS.

So if you set the preferredVideoStabilizationMode to off (the default), you will not get any OIS.

Apple's own camera app always opts in for video stabilization, but DJI is welcome to write an app that does not use stabilization and rely upon their own.
2017-4-20
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

Removed by original poster
2017-5-8
Use props
ComPH
lvl.3

United States

Well, I tried the ProCam method, and it appears that they might be "disabling" the OIS if you buy their $4.99 extreme 4k add on. They also warn to place the phone on tripod, once you select that resolution. I tried it, and in the future I might place a video on YT, but at the moment, I can just describe the results. What they seem to mean by "disabling" the OIS is that they stop driving the coils all together, so that the lens is flopping loosely with the smallest motion to the phone. Sort of like turning off gimbal and shaking it. What we mean by turning it off, is stabilizing the lens the same way as if it were a lens without an OIS. Putting the breaks on the motors, if yo will. Unfortunately that is not the case, we have "a failure" to communicate, and it will not fix our issue.
2017-5-10
Use props
Adriano Araujo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 731565 ft
Brazil

I have past the last week making tests regarding the wobble of iPhone´s OIS.

Tried everything, from different ways of walking/jogging, to software like Filmic, ProCam, the Stock camera APP and DJI Go

What I found is:

1 – The best App to use is the Stock Camera App. Had no success using all others: Disabling OIS by software turns things even worse by losing the coils inside iPhone´s camera. It wobble more that way

2 – You can decrease the problem by walking in very short and fast steps. A mix of “ninja walking” and jogging, also using the gimbal in “flashlight” position.

3 – You can not solve the problem (I could not find a solution). Even fast-walking, for me, the image is compromised. Usable, but compromised.

I understand that it´s not and Apple nor DJI problem/issue. It´s just an unfortunate “lack of lucky” when these 2 products are working together.

I just gave up using my iPhone 7 + with Osmo Mobile for walking/run shots. For that, I just revived and old iPhone 5s. It is WAY better (with no OIS)

Unfortunately, for those with no option to use another phone, I think you have an unsolvable problem. :-(
2017-8-11
Use props
T. Gary
lvl.1
United States

Adriano Araujo Posted at 2017-8-11 09:41
I have past the last week making tests regarding the wobble of iPhone´s OIS.

Tried everything, from different ways of walking/jogging, to software like Filmic, ProCam, the Stock camera APP and DJI Go

SOLUTION: buy a different product
2017-8-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules