Designed a custom helipad or leveling/calibration pad (non-metalic)
629 8 2016-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
septicwar
New

United States

Hello new to the forum figured I would share my custom helipad I built for my Phantom 3. Allows me to have a stable and level base for calibration and landing if i choose too. It was made from 3/4 UHMW with 1 inch UHMW dowels threaded through the base. Fairly simple but works great, best of all absolutely no metal.
20161203_092648_Film2.jpg
20161203_092657_Film2.jpg
20161203_092707_Film2.jpg
2016-12-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Welcome to the fold. ;-)
It looks good for IMU and gimbal calibration, but a little small for landing, unless you have a very steady hand and eye cooridination.

If you hit one of those threaded screws with your landing skids, it could tip over the drone causing you some grief. Be very careful.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's a neat creation, thanks for sharing. I would agree with RedHotPoker that you'll want to be careful with the protruding screws, but I guess it makes the whole thing reversible.
2016-12-3
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-3 18:12
It's a neat creation, thanks for sharing. I would agree with RedHotPoker that you'll want to be care ...

Yes, if the screws are turned right down, so that the surface is completely free of any obstruction, it will probably be fine, but its surface appears quite small, unless you land the drone very exact, in the center. If it were me, I would use something flat and a bit larger for a landing platform. I plan to utilize my Nanuk 945 drone case, for take offs and landings. Well unless I'm at the www.ercha.ca heli field where we have 3 large sized take off/landing areas, nearly big enough for a full scale passenger helicopter.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-3
Use props
fans8cf0d029
lvl.3
Flight distance : 124672 ft
United States

Why not float a flat piece of wood on water in a small pan.  That would be perfectly level assuming the wood was flat, and would support the weight.
Thanks,
WA5TEF
2016-12-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans8cf0d029 Posted at 2016-12-5 02:35
Why not float a flat piece of wood on water in a small pan.  That would be perfectly level assuming  ...

Great idea, but I see to drone going for a dip.

How about a trip to the hardware store and getting four adjustable feet like on the bottom of washing machines, and just screwing them into a small plank of wood?

And thanks to the poster for the original idea.
2016-12-4
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

With a piece of glass laid across the four motor shafts you can utilize a small bubble level.
Using pieces of paper under the corners of the landing skids to make it perfectly level at  90*.
Any way, it's a drone, & "perfectly level"surface doesn't need a rocket science perfection.
I have sat my drone on the carpeted floor, during IMU and gimbal calibrations, and my horizon remains perfectly straight.
Use what ever you have available... That has a flat-square surface.

RedHotPoker

2016-12-4
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-5 11:34
With a piece of glass laid across the four motor shafts you can utilize a small bubble level.
Using ...

Haha - yeah. I found using my iPhone compass app that the cushion on one of my patio chairs outside was 100% level, so my last P4 calibration was done there. Perfectly and in seconds, I may add.

Still, I appreciate and respect the inventiveness. :-)
2016-12-4
Use props
septicwar
New

United States

You can call it a prototype, the new one will have flusb mounted adjustment, line levels inset and much more realestate to land on if wanted.right now its not that difficult to land on but it does require your upmost attention.
2016-12-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules