Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Increasing Flight Speed
12Next >
8041 41 2015-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

Can anyone tell me if you can increase the flight speed in DJI assistance? I have Vision +. Again in phantom/GPS mode is there anyway to increase the flight spead or agility

thank you
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

That gives me a thought. Phantom pylon racing.
2015-2-10
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

You can turn your gains up and it will increase speed.  When you switch to atti mode they are turned up some already.
2015-2-10
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

If you want agility and speed, I reccomend "Manual mode". You can roll and flip your phantom then, and post your first crash here
The Phantom is primarily a video quad, not made for high speed agilty flights.
2015-2-10
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

markus2015 Posted at 2015-2-11 05:46
If you want agility and speed, I reccomend "Manual mode". You can roll and flip your phantom then, a ...

lol, not good enough for manual but would just like a little bit more power when fighting the wind, I assume that it would also drain the battery quickly as well
2015-2-10
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

markus2015 Posted at 2015-2-11 05:46
If you want agility and speed, I reccomend "Manual mode". You can roll and flip your phantom then, a ...

lol, not good enough for manual but would just like a little bit more power when fighting the wind, I assume that it would also drain the battery quickly as well
2015-2-10
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

kleake.rapfire Posted at 2015-2-11 04:55
You can turn your gains up and it will increase speed.  When you switch to atti mode they are turned ...

ok, my understanding of gain was that it would increase/ decrease the sensitivity of my control movements but not the over all top speed of the movements?

thanks
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

scom20.gmail Posted at 2015-2-11 12:01
ok, my understanding of gain was that it would increase/ decrease the sensitivity of my control mo ...

More with sensitivity but it will boost some speed also.  If you change them to much, you might not be able to control it.
2015-2-10
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-11 12:04
More with sensitivity but it will boost some speed also.  If you change them to much, you might no ...

thank you, any recommendation to how much i should change it? I have never played with gain. I don't want much difference but just a little more power. thanks
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

scom20.gmail Posted at 2015-2-11 12:09
thank you, any recommendation to how much i should change it? I have never played with gain. I don ...

I have no idea,  I use mine for video.
2015-2-10
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Probably a different copter would be better if all you are looking for is speed
2015-2-10
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
United States

scom20, i'm in the same boat as you.  I'm not looking to gain much top end, but sometimes want to video kids on dirtbikes and follow them at 35-40mph.  Also when the wind is high, and I need to get back home, I would like a little more umph instead of going 3mph.   As mentioned, look at your gain settings in GPS mode and in ATTI mode.  I can gain about 5-10mph more when in ATTI mode, so when I'm fighting wind, i'll switch to that to get back, then go back to GPS.  I haven't changed my gain settings yet, but do plan to.  This will also allow me to get to and from what I am wanting to video much faster as well and allow more time to actually video.  I'm not looking to sport fly.
2015-2-10
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

kleake.rapfire Posted at 2015-2-11 12:36
scom20, i'm in the same boat as you.  I'm not looking to gain much top end, but sometimes want to vi ...

exactly the same here. I also have prop guards on, so wondering if they are catching the wind a bit as well and slowing her down.
thanks
2015-2-10
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
United States

I don't run prop guards, but I am pretty familiar with flying, however quads are still fairly new to me.  I'm not sure how much they slow you down but I am sure they do a little as anything the wind can grab will have a little bit of effect.  I know in 20mph wind, I can fly around pretty good, but if I go up very high, <200ft then I struggle going up wind.  Usually if I drop down to just above the treetops I can do pretty good.
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

When I flew it over the power generating station, my battery was starting to get less than 45%, it was about 1900 feet away at 100 feet high and I had prop guards on and "beat feet" back to the landing.  It registered 33.5 mph on my screen.  That is plenty fast enough for me.
2015-2-10
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
United States

Gerry, I agree 33mph ground speed is plenty fast, but if you have a headwind of 20 and gusts of 25-30, you will be making your way back at less than 10mph ground speed.  I live in Oklahoma, wind is pretty common around here however I try to fly with less than 15mph winds and usually make my home point down wind from what I want to video, but that is not always possible.
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

kleake.rapfire Posted at 2015-2-11 13:28
Gerry, I agree 33mph ground speed is plenty fast, but if you have a headwind of 20 and gusts of 25-3 ...

I know what you are saying,  I pop up to the altitude I will be at and hover holding position and read the airspeed while stationary,  if it's more than 15 I will land and forget flying for the day.
10 miles an hour return speed would take about 30 seconds to cover 1900 feet.
2015-2-10
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
United States

Notice I said "less than 10".  I've taken off with 15mph winds on the ground and ended up with 30mph at 200ft, and my upwind return was 3mph.  Took a while and half my battery to cover 1/4 mile.  Curious how you read airspeed while stationary?  I go to altitude and a little upwind, then switch to atti mode and let the wind carry it at whatever speed it wants, this is usually pretty close to the actual wind speed that I will have to overcome if I get too far downwind.
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

kleake.rapfire Posted at 2015-2-11 13:49
Notice I said "less than 10".  I've taken off with 15mph winds on the ground and ended up with 30mph ...

OK. less than 10, a 5 miles an hour difference would take 1 minute to return,  If you had at least 30% battery,  no problem getting back.
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

kleake.rapfire Posted at 2015-2-11 13:49
Notice I said "less than 10".  I've taken off with 15mph winds on the ground and ended up with 30mph ...

GPS holds it stationary in 1 place so it will tilt into the wind to hold station, therefore measuring the wind going past it.  I was stationary according to the radar and distance gauge at 46 feet due north and the airspeed was reading almost 9 mph at that time.
2015-2-10
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

This will also allow me to get to and from what I am wanting to video much faster as well and allow more time to actually video.

Well no it won't actually. You may get there faster but you will use more power doing so. Swings and roundabouts mate . . .

If you must have more grunt I think uprated motors is about the only real solution but once again you will be draining the battery faster.
2015-2-10
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
United States

increase the wind by 5 and you wouldn't be able to move....  Anyway, I'm not arguing your point, but I didn't have my calculator, stopwatch or airspeed indicator out, all I know is I was moving less than 5mph groundspeed coming back and it was constantly going from 1 to 5 depending on the gusts and took about 5 minutes to get back.  The wind was very gusty that day, but down low with some trees and a house as a wind block I had no issues.  The point is that if I NEED more speed, I can switch to ATTI and gain some extra movement as a backup.

I'm not familiar with the display of the Vision, but if GPS is holding it stationary, doesn't the speed say 0 and not the wind speed?  I'm not sure that it could figure out how to calculate the actual wind speed from tilt angle or anything else?
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

kleake.rapfire Posted at 2015-2-11 14:10
increase the wind by 5 and you wouldn't be able to move....  Anyway, I'm not arguing your point, but ...

The position from takeoff point will say zero.  The wind speed it is saying is the wind speed it is encountering.
I don't fly in anything more than 10 to 12 mph because I'm flying close to things videoing it.
Whether the Phantom is moving through the air or the air is moving around the Phantom, it is still registering.
2015-2-10
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
United States

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the speed it is registering is GPS ground speed, not wind speed.
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

kleake.rapfire Posted at 2015-2-11 14:21
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the speed it is registering is GPS ground speed, not wind sp ...

I was stationary according to the radar and distance gauge at 46 feet due north at an altitude about 100 feet agl and the airspeed was reading almost 9 mph at that time.  That is what was on the indicators.
I think it states on page 33 of the manual that it indicates air speed.
2015-2-10
Use props
johnwarr.live
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Under flight parameter's it says "Horizontal flying speed", Presumably it gets that from the GPS.  
2015-2-10
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

johnwarr.live Posted at 2015-2-11 15:24
Under flight parameter's it says "Horizontal flying speed", Presumably it gets that from the GPS.

All I can tell you is the distance from home point and altitude were stable and unmoving and speed was registering 9 mph.  That is what I was seeing.  I'm not trying to explain it or analyze the numbers.  It is what it is.
2015-2-10
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-11 14:36
I was stationary according to the radar and distance gauge at 46 feet due north at an altitude abo ...

Gerry,

The Phantom does not have an airspeed instrument, that would be accomplished with a differential pressure device with a tube reading ambient pressure, and another facing directly into the wind for the increased pressure caused by the velocity of the craft.

Ground speed is displayed, and is accomplished via GPS, regardless of flight mode.  GPS is always providing data when sufficient signal is present, though it may not be used for flight control depending on flight mode.
ASI-operation-FAA.png
2015-2-11
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Jamie Hellmich Posted at 2015-2-11 19:34
Gerry,

The Phantom does not have an airspeed instrument, that would be accomplished with a differ ...

Then you explain why it said 9 mph when it was not moving.
2015-2-11
Use props
allbritt.verizo
lvl.2

United States

Don't neglect consideration on faster speed's effect on the ESCs.  Prolonged speed above factory setting could be asking for trouble.
2015-2-11
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-11 20:58
Then you explain why it said 9 mph when it was not moving.

I can't really do that except to guess that it could be GPS error, drifting, toilet boil effect, etc....  I don't know, and I was not there.

But you are not getting wind speed readings from a statically positioned Phantom.  The Phantom does not contain an air speed indicator.

And I am not trying to be adversarial here, just trying to explain the Phantom operating methodology regarding aircraft speed calculation.

Jamie

2015-2-11
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Jamie Posted at 2015-2-11 21:07
I can't really do that except to guess that it could be GPS error, drifting, toilet boil effect, et ...

GPS error, drifting, toilet boil effect

Both of my birds are rock steady.  When I let go of the sticks, they stay in position and don't move.
2015-2-11
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-11 21:13
GPS error, drifting, toilet boil effect

Both of my birds are rock steady.  When I let go of the s ...

you cut off the ", etc....  I don't know, and I was not there." part.
Take care.
2015-2-11
Use props
Gerry1124
lvl.4

United States

Jamie Posted at 2015-2-11 21:22
you cut off the ", etc....  I don't know, and I was not there." part.
Take care.

I'm just informing that I don't have those problems so the numbers cannot be blamed on them.
2015-2-11
Use props
isaiahbrock7.gm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98934 ft
United States

allbritt.verizo Posted at 2015-2-11 20:59
Don't neglect consideration on faster speed's effect on the ESCs.  Prolonged speed above factory set ...

ya i have heard that but i don't know how that would harm the phantom?
2015-2-11
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

isaiahbrock7.gm Posted at 2015-2-11 22:42
ya i have heard that but i don't know how that would harm the phantom?

if the esc fails the phantom would stop working... if that happens to be midflight, that would certainly harm the phantom
2015-2-11
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
United States

I agree with keeping an eye on the ESC's and everything else for that matter.  Just because you can fly at (insert max speed here)MPH doesn't mean it would be used unless needed.   The saying of "I would rather have it and not need it then to need it and not have it" type of thing.  However, if you learn to fly full manual then you can overcome all of that,,,,, but I would feel safer in ATTI mode than I would in full manual.  I plan to do more experimenting this weekend with manual controls, and may adjust my ATTI gains once I see how it responds.
2015-2-11
Use props
isaiahbrock7.gm
lvl.3
Flight distance : 98934 ft
United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-11 22:55
if the esc fails the phantom would stop working... if that happens to be midflight, that would cer ...

oh so it doesnt harm the phantom when you go max speed in ATTI?
2015-2-11
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
United States

isaiahbrock7.gm Posted at 2015-2-12 00:58
oh so it doesnt harm the phantom when you go max speed in ATTI?

I'm not sure I follow if you are asking, or trying to state that it would harm the Phantom.  I think there is a misunderstanding between peoples thoughts on this.  Some people don't want to fly fast, some do, but I think most of us that are curious about this just want the ability to overcome higher winds if we need to.  It's like driving a car, some people want a manual transmission because they want to "DRIVE" the car, while others are fine with an automatic so they can ride with less effort.   I fall into the manual transmission category when it comes to "fun" stuff and I like having the ability to control things rather than feeling helpless when the wind is carrying my phantom away.  And if the phantom has the "ability" to handle it, then I don't like the software limiting me from using it.  (that is within reason and not all limitations are a bad thing)

So to answer the question, YES, if the ESC fails at ANY time it's going to cause damage to the phantom when it hits the ground, however, going full speed doesn't mean you WILL cause damage.  Could it?  Yes, it could because you risk overheating an ESC by doing it, but at what point is it too much?  If you can go wide open and up as fast as you can for 400ft, you have several seconds of stress on the ESC.  Going wide open in a horizontal direction is not going to be any more stressful unless you continue for a longer amount of time creating more heat, and at that point is where it could become risky.  The only other risk of damage is your ability to control it at whatever speeds you want to fly.

Again, my purpose would be for the security of knowing the wind won't overcome my ability to come back to home, but would not be used any other time.  If you fly too fast, your props drop down in your video anyway.  Think of it as the dual rate stitch when flying airplanes.  Soft/slow controls for cruising around and such, and fast controls when you want to be more aggressive.  In this case, fast controls would only be used when needing to be aggressive in the wind.
2015-2-11
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Increasing gains are not going to give you more speed.  The main speed limiter on the phantom is the max.tilt angle at a given flight mode,  least angle in GPS-Atti,  more tilt at Atti  and no tilt limit in Manual mode. Want it to be more agile and fast, remove any excess weight and only fly with the wind
2015-2-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules