Looking to purchase a Phantom 2 and need advice.
855 5 2015-2-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Hello all and apologies if this has already been asked, I did look but so many threads and so little time!

I am purchasing my first ever drone next week and I had decided on a Phantom 2 Vision+ (with an extra battery) but I have had a slight spanner thrown into the works. I am doing work for a local camera shop so I can get a deal on a GoPro Hero 4 Black and the capability of having 1080p/120 appeared to make the decision a no brainer, go for the Phantom 2 H4-3D.

This is where my dilemma starts, I have never flown before and whereas I think I will be more than competent I do really want the feature of being able to see what is being filmed as it happens on my iPhone/iPad and I haven't been able to find if this is possible if I choose the H4-3D over the Vision+?

Any help, along with ANY pros or cons for either system would be very greatly received, thank you in advance for your time.

Cheers
John

2015-2-10
Use props
Jamie Hellmich
lvl.4

United States

Howdy, and welcome.  P2V+ owner here.

For one, you will not have the out of the box first person View (FPV) and remote camera operation on a smart phone or tablet with the Hero as with the Vision +.
2015-2-10
Use props
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Jamie Hellmich Posted at 2015-2-11 05:11
Howdy, and welcome.  P2V+ owner here.

For one, you will not have the out of the box first person Vi ...

That is a BIG loss and pretty much swings it back to the V+for me.

What does it take to get FPV from a GoPro? I'm guessing there is some expense involved?

I think that I'll just get the V+ and the GoPro H4 Black can be used for other projects....

Thanks for your advice.
2015-2-10
Use props
kleake.rapfire
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1361040 ft
United States

If money is the issue, the P2V+ is cheaper to get going quickly.  If video quality is of priority and money isn't as big, go for the P2 with GoPro.  You can add FPV to it, but you will end up with more $$$ in the end.  I went that route since I already had 2 GoPro 3+ camera's.  Almost went with a cheaper analog FPV setup which is nice, but ultimately decided on the Lightbridge due to it's added range and simplicity to be up and running with a full system.  It is very pricey, however it provides everything I need in one setup.  If I had it to do over, I would have just went for the Inspire as I'm now only about $500 away in cost.  So to make it simple, if you really want FPV, P2V+ is the cheaper route at the sacrifice (very small at that) of video/photo quality.  And truly, it is very close to a GoPro in quality.
2015-2-10
Use props
Moto70
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thank you, what you say makes perfect sense. I think in an ideal world I will get the Phantom 2 V+ and get on with it while I learn the intricacies of operating a drone and then have an unexpected windfall and use that to go down the Inspire route!

Once again thank you both for your advice, it has been invaluable in helping me make my mind up and reach a decision.
2015-2-10
Use props
SavannahQuad
lvl.2

United States

"and then have an unexpected windfall and use that to go down the Inspire route!"

Please make sure you share those lottery numbers with us!
2015-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules