Early wishlist for Mavic 2 features
12Next >
3381 50 2016-12-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Okay, we all know that the Mavic Pro just came out.  We also know that if you pay attention to history AT ALL, there will be a Mavic 2 coming out within a year.  If we don't ask for features that we want to see, we can't complain if they don't happen.  At any rate, I'm starting this thread to put our ideas on the map for DJI reps to see and pick through and hopefully suggest.  I will update my post with credible ideas as they are posted so that everyone can check back to the first post and then add at the end if they have other ideas.  
Hey, it's gonna happen sometime, might as well get the early suggestions out there and in play.  
I know it's early, and many of you don't even have your Mavic yet, but when it comes in and you're out there flying and you think "I wish, this thing could........" this thread is here and waiting.  
Sarge

Things we'd like to see added or changed on Mavic 2
1. Make available a dedicated monitor that WORKS RELIABLY instead of having to rely on third party phones that we have issues with across the board - think P4P+
2. Add Obstacle Avoidance in all directions
3. 1" sensor
4. More battery capacity
5. Replacable/swapout battery for the RC
6. 360 degree OA which includes the up direction
7. Ability to swap out/upgrade the camera/gimbal
8. Factory warning lanyard attached to the gimbal lock
9. Charger with a digital readout
10. Slightly heavier gimbal to be more resistant to wind causing movement
11. Gimbal protection that can be used during flight without affecting picture quality or heat
12. Volune control with mute for RC unit as well as Mavic
13. Higher transfer rate (100 mb/s)
14. Higher frame rate at 4k
15. Water resistance
16. Better range on obstacle avoidance.  Adjustable from off to near to far?
17. Ability to switch manually to ATTI mode
18. Strengthen connection for RC
19. Bright gimbal cover so it's more noticable
20. Different color front arms
21. Quiter overall
22. Hot swap batteries
23. Flip down gear for more clearance at landing/take off
24. Mechanical gimbal lock to do away with the plastic gimbal lock
25. Handhold for using the Mavic as a walk around or still  camera
26. Full time auto focus
27. Improved camera with consistent sharpness corner to corner
28. Improvements to active track and follow previous route home
29. OEM "aero package' for added streamlining on windy days/conditions
30. OEM prop guards
31. Larger controller battery that allows phone charging while in use
32. Weaponize Mavic 2 with a BB repeater tube shooting around +800FPS for bird dueling and defense.  Okay, admitedly this is a joke, but it WOULD be epic....
33. Onboard locator to track a downed drone
34. More color options
35. Dual control option
36. Improved cold temerature operational range for cold weather flying
37. Ability to stream data instead of requiring a hard line
38. LEDs on all four corners to aid in night flying.  Bright front lights to function almost as headlights.
39. Color options for LEDS (blue perhaps instead of red to help those with color blindness)

2016-12-3
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

Good idea Sarge, we can also add

A 1" sensor.
A 20% bigger battery.

Replaceable-swapout battery for the RC.

360 degree OA which includes the up direction.

The ability to swap out and upgrade camera/gimbal.

A factory warning lanyard fitted to removable gimbal lock.

A charger with digital readout.

This http://www.dji.com/crystalsky tech used in all RCs which should be foldout.

hmm thats all i can think of at the moment.

2016-12-3
Use props
deedjeeeye
lvl.2

Netherlands

Most important I think is availability for a change that would be great.
2016-12-3
Use props
Jcox3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 494806 ft
United States

A little more weight in the gimbal. I've only had 4 flights but noticed in the videos that the higher winds caused the gimbal to move, my P3S didn't appear to have similar issues.
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good thread to start.
2016-12-3
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

First post updated to this point - thanks for the responses!
Sarge
2016-12-3
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Jcox3 Posted at 2016-12-4 07:40
A little more weight in the gimbal. I've only had 4 flights but noticed in the videos that the highe ...

This might also be addressed by integrating side shields at the front of the mavic for at least two reasons.
1 to give support and protection to gimble in case of crash. Obviously designed not to interfere with camera angles and to be lightweight material and design.
2 Designed to help sheild wind effects at high speed/wind.
I picture something like the side guards on gridiron players helmets but with more surface area for sheilding.

Or we could use a bigger gimbal hehe
2016-12-3
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Good suggestions. I don't think the gimbal needs to be heavier but rather just more wind resistant which I think can be done with some design tweaks. I really enjoy the light weight of the Mavic which allows me to bring along on hikes and climbs where I just couldn't bring a heavier done.  I love the light weight!
2016-12-3
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

As some other threads i have seen have suggested, maybe the transfer of onboard data can be done without needing to have a fully powered up mavic.
Also the data access cavity is small and clashes with my cable when trying to fit. Also it would be good if the latch hung down and not up, when not inserted. Making cable fitting much less figity. Edit: clarify that the door is hinged at the top but the door when is unplugged covers the access needing to be held out of the way while inserting the cable. If it was hinged from the bottom it would just hang out of the way below the access.

A volume and or mute button for the beeps on startup for RC and unit and RTH periods, low battery etc with caution obviously to alarms.

Wouldnt mind if the body evolved a litlle and got 15-20 percent bigger, it would still be uber portable but maybe carry better camera and a hugerous battery but with a target weight of around 1.7Kg or less.

EDIT: Also a DJI RC crystalsky full inbuilt foldable monitor RC  which can retrofit for this version of mavic in both sizes of screen.
2016-12-3
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

In terms of features for the Mavic2 I'd like to add a higher data rate (100 mbs or better) and to be able to shoot 4K at a higher frame rate.
2016-12-3
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
United States

Two more items that would be huge.

1) I'd love to fly through light spray or drizzle. This would be huge for mountain flying because sometimes this happens with no warning or forecast.
2) Better range on the OA sensors. Occasionally, it's hard to visually tell how close you are to something or the winds can push the Mavic unexpectedly, so it would be huge if I can set it up to leave say 30 meter separation from the terrain.
2016-12-3
Use props
stevejnz
lvl.2

New Zealand

and most important:
The ability to switch manually to ATTI mode, you cant get your pilots licence without being able to prove you can fly in this mode.
In the current mavic you can't switch to this mode manually...
2016-12-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

stevejnz Posted at 2016-12-3 23:34
and most important:
The ability to switch manually to ATTI mode, you cant get your pilots licence wi ...

That request has been sent already.
2016-12-3
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2016-12-3 18:21
Two more items that would be huge.

1) I'd love to fly through light spray or drizzle. This would b ...

I think waterproofing is what I would like. I live in a temperate rain forest.
2016-12-3
Use props
lclerc69
lvl.2

France

a better connection with the RC
2016-12-4
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

1) A red gimbal dome cover instead of gray. I'm trying to remember to take the dome and the gimbal clamp off, I really am, but I've forgotten twice. It's mainly a problem for things like turning the Mavic on to copy files, when I don't intend to fly it and forget the gimbal clamp. Right now the gimbal dome cover is gray, so it's the same color as the Mavic, and I don't notice it. Red would be much more obvious.

2) Volume control on the remote. Even just turning on the remote makes me feel like I'm alerting the neighborhood.

3) Front arms that are a completely different color than the back arms. The stripes are nice, but when the drone is even a little far away, I can't easily see them. Gold arms in the front would make it more obvious which way it is facing.

4)  Anything that makes the drone quieter would be great. That's more of a long term goal for drones in general than a specific Mavic 2 request. I'm sure the engineers are already thinking about this. I'm actually surprised that the Mavic isn't louder than it is.

That's all for now. This was my first day of flying, and so far it's doing great.
2016-12-4
Use props
Kevin16
lvl.3
Flight distance : 353642 ft
Australia

Detachable camera/gimbal similar to Karma.  
App toggle to turn on or off OA sesnsors
60MPH
Hot swap batteries (probably by internal battery maintaining charge for 60 seconds until battery pack gets replaced)
Quieter operation for both drone and controller
Carbon fibre propellors
Passenger feature similar to Karma
2016-12-4
Use props
Elnan.do
lvl.2

Norway

- Waterproofing
- Side/top OA
- Protecting the gimbal agains crashes as it seams like a weak point at the time.
- Not making it bigger/heavier. Its not a Phantom....
2016-12-4
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Oh! I mentioned this in another thread, but I'll repeat it here.

Pegs that flip down on the feat, like the Yuneec Breeze. That would give a few inches of clearance off the ground.
2016-12-4
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Thanks all!  The first post has been updated to this point.
Sarge
2016-12-4
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Didn't know there was a similar thread started back in October similar to this, but it's not compiled in the first post which makes this one easier to read, so I'm sticking with it.  
Sarge
2016-12-4
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

Here's another.

Mechanical gimbal lock. When you turn the Mavic off, the camera returns to a straight ahead position and mechanically locks into place. When you start it up, it unlocks. No need for a piece of plastic that can be forgotten.
2016-12-6
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Thanks again!  Original post updated to this point.
Sarge
2016-12-6
Use props
boldblue737
lvl.2
Flight distance : 418337 ft
  • >>>
United States

1. Full time autofocus.
2. Obstacle sensing in as many additional directions as possible.
3. An improved camera that at a minimum is more consistent in sharpness corner to corner. It is safe to say that there is a fairly wide variety of corner to corner sharpness issues in currently shipping Mavics (some are quite good, some not as much). I would hope for something more along the Phantom 4 line which is rare to find a single camera that isn't sharp corner to corner. That said if you can get a 1 inch sensor and 100 bitrate encoding like the P4P that would be awesome but I'll settle for overall sharpness to the camera.
4. Make the gimbal less fragile and less prone to that occasional twitch they tend to make.
5. Software improvements from the P4P such as the following previous flight path for return to home etc. Also improvements to active track are always appreciated.

The Mavic is awesome and will be THE DJI consumer drone soon.
2016-12-6
Use props
vivian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661627 ft
  • >>>
India

First it should be availability lol.
2016-12-6
Use props
eduavo
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15390 ft
United Kingdom

Kevin16 Posted at 2016-12-4 09:55
Detachable camera/gimbal similar to Karma.  
App toggle to turn on or off OA sesnsors
60MPH

As the Mavic is so small how about a hand-held device to mount the Mavic to, for ground/walking shots?  A firmware upgrade could de-activate the motors in this mode.
2016-12-6
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

First post is updated to this point.
Sarge
2016-12-6
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

> Wings and body designed to accept an OEM-optional clip-on 'aero package' in case you wanted to sacrifice immediate foldability for greater wind resistance for the odd flight (e.g. flying on the coast on a breezy day)
> Designed to accept OEM prop guards
> Larger controller battery with ability to charge phone
2016-12-6
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

First post updated to this point.
Sarge
2016-12-7
Use props
MadMonkey
lvl.2

United States

Hdmi output on the controller would be great.
2016-12-7
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

- Better/faster multiple battery charger option that actually charges more than one battery at a time.
- Option for OEM display/tablet that is dedicated to the Mavic so no issues with compatibility or performance concerns due to it running various other apps in the background.
- Optional onboard locator beacon in the event of a signal loss to aid in quick recovery.
- More color options
- Option for dual controls (i.e. pilot=Master and video control=Slave)
- Improved temperature operating range for sub freezing temperatures (abilitiy to fly in extreme cold without potential battery errors).
2016-12-7
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for the suggestions all!  The original post has been updated to this point.  I am not putting duplicates up, so if you don't see your suggestions, check higher up the list as it's probably already there.
Sarge
2016-12-7
Use props
vacance
lvl.2
Flight distance : 89715 ft
Canada

tu put on a wish list for me is to do also tricks wich i am sure it's easy for SDK developpers.    trick like parrot bepop 2 see link

2016-12-7
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Australia

Haha yeah that would be good vacance!

Also the ability to stream the data from the Mavic SDXC to PC via BT or WiFi etc.
Otherwise the wear and tear from plugging and unplugging will show after time and is PITA to access data after every flight with removal of access covers.
Getting a bit picky now though as i think most things have been covered, but cavance was a good late edition !!
2016-12-19
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Original post updated to this point.
Sarge
2016-12-19
Use props
No1much
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143878 ft
United States

Definitely a more durable gimbal, hopefully easier to repair (without having to send in to RMA if something breaks due to a slight bump- basically, if it could be at least half as durable or as easy to repair as a Phantom 3 gimbal).

Any gimbal imprevements really, especially to durability, would be wildly awesome and appreciated.
Of course, I may be biased after sending my Mavic in when it had something wrong with the gimbal from the start, but... would be awesome if future Mavics didn't have such problems as often  or easily.
2016-12-19
Use props
No1much
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143878 ft
United States

Oh! Here's something I'd like if DJI considered doing. Shouldn't be too much trouble, and some people might grumble, but... it will be no loss to anyone.

I'd like it if DJI drone designers could look at replacing either green or yellow color of the flight status indicator in future models with blue.
Seems trivial, but consider this: A sizable fraction of people, especially men, are at least a little colorblind. Red/green colorblindness is the most common type. As a slightly colorblind person, I can tell the difference between red and green or yellow lights on the Mavic (red appears darker for me) but green and yellow look too much alike for me to be able to know for sure whether my flight tatus indicator is flashing green or yellow. This means the flight status indicator isn't as useful a feature as it could be.

If the green or yellow coloration might be replaced with blue, it would hardly matter which other colors the light kept- blue is clearly visible as very different from each red, blue and green light. It would make using this part of the drone so much easier for those who have trouble telling similar colors apart.

Thank you, anyone who heard me out and read this.
2016-12-21
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

First post is updated to this point.
Sarge
2016-12-21
Use props
Przemek_mo
lvl.1
Poland

follow mode - some extra (watch like sensor) for follow mode during sports . with no need for regular remote
2017-3-22
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

You just discribed what the Goverment has --- are you a spy
2017-3-22
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now