2876 41 2016-12-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Langstonius
lvl.3
Flight distance : 218087 ft
  • >>>
United States

So this is my 1st drone. It has not shipped yet (surprise!) I thought I was doing myself a favor with the p4p+ but as ive learned about the various  different apps besides the dji go app, it seems that  I wont be able to install any apps on the p4p+ device. Is this the case?

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but im basically learning how folks are doing things via youtube and lurking in this forum.

It seems that if i were to go with the non integrated screen, I would have much more flexibility in with the apps I use BUT i then need to find an appropriate mobile device to use with it.

Is that about the long and short of it, or am I missing something?

Thanks for any insights

2016-12-5
Use props
Nigelbrinkmann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 586391 ft
Australia

Hi, you don't have any devices that you own that are compatible, that you could have used? if you didn't, what you have ordered is probably the way to go,You get all footage from the SD card anyway, you can grade it or whatever you want to do, then upload it to YouTube or whatever takes your fancy.
2016-12-5
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Nigelbrinkmann Posted at 2016-12-5 01:31
Hi, you don't have any devices that you own that are compatible, that you could have used? if you didn't, what you have ordered is probably the way to go,You get all footage from the SD card anyway, you can grade it or whatever you want to do, then upload it to YouTube or whatever takes your fancy.

I have more than a couple devices but i kinda liked the idea of a dedicated device for this purpose as opposed to having to utilize my phone or some other device with potential compatibility issues.
2016-12-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Langstonius Posted at 2016-12-5 15:35
I have more than a couple devices but i kinda liked the idea of a dedicated device for this purpose as opposed to having to utilize my phone or some other device with potential compatibility issues.

There's probably not an awful lot that a 3rd party App' could offer you above the functionality of DJO Go, barring perhaps the ability to set up long distance waypoints, and let the aircraft fly autonomously (You have to hope you've set all correctly and hope all works as supposed to if signal lost).

The one major benefit in the dedicated device should be the screen brightness, according to reports that should make life as a Phantom pilot a lot better.
I've not had any compulsion to use anything other than DJI go, for video and photography is does what I want quite well.
2016-12-5
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-5 07:44
There's probably not an awful lot that a 3rd party App' could offer you above the functionality of DJO Go, barring perhaps the ability to set up long distance waypoints, and let the aircraft fly autonomously (You have to hope you've set all correctly and hope all works as supposed to if signal lost).

The one major benefit in the dedicated device should be the screen brightness, according to reports that should make life as a Phantom pilot a lot better.

Thanks for the info. I dont plan on any beyond line of sight flying at all as La is a busy area. Guess I should just be patient and wait then. Thanks
2016-12-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-5 08:44

I absolutely love using this incredible iPad Air2 Cellular as my dedicated device. It's been so wonderful to have a unit that just works so well, and has never given me any problems, concerns of worries. Aside from a bit of Sun glare, on the brightest summer days, it's been nothing but exemplary. I would recommend it to anyone, who doesn't mind spending a little more money, for an awesome device.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-5
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

I agree with RHP on the Air 2 + Cellular.  Good choice over my two Androids that have video lag where the screen breaks up and tears in reds and greens.

If you want far smoother flights with the movie camera and without all the jerkiness, then an autonomous app (e.g. Litchi or Autopilot) will help you a lot verses being locked into GO.  Better maps than GO's too with better resolution.  Plus you can add apps like B4UFly which will tell you about "No fly zones" ahead of time rather than getting someplace and letting GO lock you out.  Some weather planning apps are nice too for sunrise//sunset, satellites available, winds, etc.

The external tablet will allow you to grow whereas the P4P+ with the fixed screen will hinder you there.  The Apple Pro 9.7" may be a little stronger on processing power (Their 12" Pro model is weaker for some reason?) over the Air 2+ Cellular and it is the preferred model of Autopilot which uses a lot of processing power, but the Air 2 + Cellular works fine for me.  I wish I had gone with Verizon for the cellular part over T-mobile as their rural coverage is much better than T-mobile around me, but a bit more expensive too.
2016-12-5
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

I sure like being able to handle EVERYTHING easily on the P4P+, however.  

Turn on R/C, turn on P4P...  Wait.  Tap the BLUE BAR.  Profit!
2016-12-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-5 10:17
I agree with RHP on the Air 2 + Cellular.  Good choice over my two Androids that have video lag where the screen breaks up and tears in reds and greens.

If you want far smoother flights with the movie camera and without all the jerkiness, then an autonomous app (e.g. Litchi or Autopilot) will help you a lot verses being locked into GO.  Better maps than GO's too with better resolution.  Plus you can add apps like B4UFly which will tell you about "No fly zones" ahead of time rather than getting someplace and letting GO lock you out.  Some weather planning apps are nice too for sunrise//sunset, satellites available, winds, etc.

Yes the Air2 Cellular, provides me a wonderful experience, every time out with the drone. Glad I was fortunate enough to be able to acquire mine and use it as a dedicated device, for my flight kit. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2016-12-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Langstonius Posted at 2016-12-5 16:55
Thanks for the info. I dont plan on any beyond line of sight flying at all as La is a busy area. Guess I should just be patient and wait then. Thanks

Get used to dji go and by the time you that third party apps will be available, I don't expect it will be long.
Dji go 4 is a great app. Good luck and welcome..
2016-12-5
Use props
fans871ed355
lvl.1
United States

I chose to go without the screen for the same reason.  If you are just filming it is probably great, but I do mapping and a variety of other things which require custom apps and there was no indicator if I would be able to use those with the + controller.
2016-12-5
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Curse you all for your informative answers Now im actually sort of torn with getting an ipad type device but i don't know if this will grow beyond being a cool hobby. I do appreciate you all giving your real world advice / experience. A lot of the automated flight ideas sound cool. decision, decisions...

2016-12-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Langstonius Posted at 2016-12-5 12:19
Curse you all for your informative answers  Now im actually sort of torn with getting an ipad type device but i don't know if this will grow beyond being a cool hobby. I do appreciate you all giving your real world advice / experience. A lot of the automated flight ideas sound cool. decision, decisions...

Be careful what you wish for! Once the drone bug digs in under your skin, the RC addiction will already have been instilled. There is no antidote or relief. Haha

Only your drone physician will know for sure. Chuckles

RedHotPoker
2016-12-5
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-5 11:27
Be careful what you wish for! Once the drone bug digs in under your skin, the RC addiction will already have been instilled. There is no antidote or relief. Haha

Its already set in, but with 3 kids, a full time job, and doing software development in my free time I dont know how often ill actually be able to go have fun sadly.

Which is why my other question about built in screen device vs other device was kicking around in my head. Being in the software industry I know how important the platform is for running an app, doubly so for a high performance , time critical app such as this one. And ive been burned when new platform releases or other things change with off the shelf devices vs the more utility type purpose built devices. All in all much to think about.

Is it possible to get a second controller later if i wanted one that supported something like an iPAD?
2016-12-5
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Langstonius Posted at 2016-12-5 12:51
Its already set in, but with 3 kids, a full time job, and doing software development in my free time I dont know how often ill actually be able to go have fun sadly.

Which is why my other question about built in screen device vs other device was kicking around in my head. Being in the software industry I know how important the platform is for running an app, doubly so for a high performance , time critical app such as this one. And ive been burned when new platform releases or other things change with off the shelf devices vs the more utility type purpose built devices. All in all much to think about.

AFAIK, the RC with built in screen is set in stone, so to speak. ;-)
That version is nice for the casual user, but having a dedicated device, which can be used in multiple applications seems like a much better "Choice". If it were me, I would always take a model where the screen could be used in several fashions. Not be religated to one single purpose. If you can make an educated decision, now is the time to do so...
It will be collecting dust, where an iPad or similar device can be utilized every day.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-5
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Langstonius Posted at 2016-12-5 19:51

At some point in the not too distant future they will be releasing These upon us. Effectively same technology as Pro plus display , but a stand alone device.... The plot thickens
2016-12-5
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Probably could get another controller and iPad with apps later, but the RC sans a screen might be about $500 option too.  Now add on the iPad for $400-$600  Then tack on the extra $300 for the P4 Pro Plus screen model you are now shelving and you just spent about $1,300 more to upgrade to an app capable unit from the $1,800 you already spent for the P4P+ model (i.e. $3,100).

Just buy the $1,500 non-screen model and get an iPad for the $400-$600 depending on model and be done with it for ~$2,000.  Add a CrystalSky screen or FPV goggles or glasses as an option later if you want.

My two-cent opinion, fwiw.
2016-12-5
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Now that I have my p4p+, it was a mistake. should have gotten the plain RC so I dont have to wait for DJI to learn android system development. I know I sound bitter, and maybe its the extra insight from my day job making me like this, but the embedded screen is not up to any decent spec, and I feel like I was sold a bill of goods.

*Less memory than cheaper phones (though SD cards could over come this)
*Super restricted android internals. Tried multiple methods of side-loading apps only to get error messages about space, which tells me they've done something to prevent app installation AND lie about it claiming there isnt enough space, when one can easily see this isnt the case via adb shell.

grrrr

But damn if it isnt a nice flying machine / camera that me, a kid born in the 80's could not have imagined.

#firstworldproblems
2017-1-7
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-7 07:13
Now that I have my p4p+, it was a mistake. should have gotten the plain RC so I dont have to wait for DJI to learn android system development. I know I sound bitter, and maybe its the extra insight from my day job making me like this, but the embedded screen is not up to any decent spec, and I feel like I was sold a bill of goods.

I traded my Pro+ remote for a Pro remote, and I`m really happy about that.

Now using my iPad 9.7 pro everything works perfect.

But damn if it isnt a nice flying machine / camera that me, a kid born in the 60's could not have imagined
2017-1-7
Use props
BeamMeUpScotty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 20446 ft
United States

I have it the P4P+ screen is too small and forget out about photomosaics and photogrammetry.
2017-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-7 07:13

You can buy a second controller I know this is more expense, and it isn't practical for everyone, but hopefully dji will in time improve + controller and maybe then you can cash in and sell or just keep both, I think it's about $330 for remote.

I suppose it's just one of those things pioneers have to put up with..

Paying twenty-five dollars for me was your mistake, Sir  I’m not worth more than fifteen.”

Good Luck.
2017-1-7
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

IMO, most users would be investing more for the "dedicated screen" than it's worth. A slightly faster startup and brighter screen is not worth the premium, considering the lack of support for 3rd party apps. Yes, it may EVENTUALLY support other apps but an iPad or decent Android device (quite possibly for a much lower investment) immediately opens up more options that the dedicated screen does not (and may never) have. Some will argue that other devices are not guaranteed to be compatible but in my experience, every iOS and Android device we used with DJI quads (P3S, P3A, P3P, P2 Vision+, and Inspire 1) has worked fine. Of course, there are a few mobile devices out there that may give you issues but those are a small part of the field of possibilities. Again, I just do not see the "advantages" of the dedicated screen as being worth the extra monetary cost.
2017-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jetforce Posted at 2017-1-7 07:29
I traded my Pro+ remote for a Pro remote, and I`m really happy about that.

Now using my iPad 9.7 pro everything works perfect.

iPad Pro 9.7 works great very seldom you will need sunshade.
2017-1-7
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-1-7 08:12
IMO, most users would be investing more for the "dedicated screen" than it's worth. A slightly faster startup and brighter screen is not worth the premium, considering the lack of support for 3rd party apps. Yes, it may EVENTUALLY support other apps but an iPad or decent Android device (quite possibly for a much lower investment) immediately opens up more options that the dedicated screen does not (and may never) have. Some will argue that other devices are not guaranteed to be compatible but in my experience, every iOS and Android device we used with DJI quads (P3S, P3A, P3P, P2 Vision+, and Inspire 1) has worked fine. Of course, there are a few mobile devices out there that may give you issues but those are a small part of the field of possibilities. Again, I just do not see the "advantages" of the dedicated screen as being worth the extra monetary cost.

I thought i WAS buying an android device.
2017-1-7
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-7 08:23
iPad Pro 9.7 works great very seldom you will need sunshade.

Already have two different kinds of shades.

https://aerialdroneaccessories.c ... ad-pro-9-7-sunshade

and

https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Sunshade-Phantom-Transmitter-Controller/dp/B00VWC5MBM

but the first one is the best. Top quality
2017-1-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jetforce Posted at 2017-1-7 08:39
Already have two different kinds of shades.

I have one , that one looks pretty good but to expensive would rather save my money for the new crystalsky whenever it arrives
2017-1-7
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-1-7 08:44
I have one , that one looks pretty good but to expensive would rather save my money for the new crystalsky whenever it arrives

You are right, the CS is also on my list. BUT I´ll will wait and see which problems we are facing after DJI launch it.

I hope none. But but but
2017-1-7
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-7 08:32
I thought i WAS buying an android device.

Right. The dedicated device runs a version of Android but, like Amazon's Android-based devices, it's not open and free for you to install Android apps as you choose.
2017-1-7
Use props
trance728-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 298048 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm more disappointed about not being able to update the GO4 app. This is stupid that we're still sitting on this outdated version when it's been out for Android for a while now.
2017-1-7
Use props
SHIPARCH
lvl.1
United States

I'd recommend you to try it out when it's bright and sunny outside, then try an iPad. In my case I'll only be using DJI Go 4 so installing 3rd party apps will not be a problem. I currently use the iPad Mini with my Phantom 3 and I can barely see what I'm shooting when it's bright and sunny. The real downside for me is not being able to directly transfer photos from the go app to my iPad without removing the SD card and attaching a dongle to my iPad and that DJI seems to treat Android like a stepchild.

I do hope this gets better treatment seeing this is essentially similar to their upcoming Crystal Sky monitors.
2017-1-7
Use props
MHM1170
lvl.2

United States

I use my iPhone 7 Plus .....................works perfect  I also use my wives iPad pro 9.7 when I feel like using a  bigger display.
2017-1-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-5 07:44

I would have to say litchi app makes DJI go look like it was written by a 12 year old.
2017-1-7
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-1-7 16:38
I would have to say litchi app makes DJI go look like it was written by a 12 year old.

Yes. Litchi has been ahead for a while now.
2017-1-7
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

jetforce Posted at 2017-1-7 08:51
You are right, the CS is also on my list. BUT I´ll will wait and see which problems we are facing after DJI launch it.

I hope none. But but but

You herd it here first folks!!! I'd wait to....... just to make sure.
2017-1-8
Use props
Grizz 1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120066 ft
United States

Svt04cobra Posted at 2017-1-8 13:30
You herd it here first folks!!! I'd wait to....... just to make sure.

yep, they will probably put up pre-orders for the 7.85 CS and all those people will be buying a pig-n-a-poke, like I did with the p4p+.
2017-1-8
Use props
Steevr
lvl.1
Flight distance : 41106 ft
United States

I was debating between the Pro and the Pro Plus. Decided on the Pro and it's supposed to arrive this week.

Here's my dilemma. I have an iPhone 6s Plus but would like to go with a slightly bigger screen. I borrowed my son's 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, which has the GPS built in. I downloaded the DJI Go 4 apps onto both and there does seems to be some feature differences between the IOS and Andriod versions.

I am thinking I will probably pick up an iPad mini 4. The only issue is it does not have GPS for the follow me function to work. Is it worth the extra $120 to go with the cellular version that includes GPS? I don't ever plan on activating cellular service on it. My other thought was that if I wanted to use the follow me functionality that maybe I would just use my iPhone 6s Plus in that case.

Any info would be greatly appreciated from those of you using the iPad mini 4. Thanks.
2017-1-8
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-1-7 12:30
Right. The dedicated device runs a version of Android but, like Amazon's Android-based devices, it's not open and free for you to install Android apps as you choose.

Actually I can install apps on my ladies fire tablet not from Amazons store...
2017-1-10
Use props
Svt04cobra
lvl.2
United States

Steevr Posted at 2017-1-8 21:09
I was debating between the Pro and the Pro Plus. Decided on the Pro and it's supposed to arrive this week.

Here's my dilemma. I have an iPhone 6s Plus but would like to go with a slightly bigger screen. I borrowed my son's 8" Samsung Galaxy Tab S2, which has the GPS built in. I downloaded the DJI Go 4 apps onto both and there does seems to be some feature differences between the IOS and Andriod versions.

Pretty sure it will lock onto the controller and not be dependent on the phone/device for gps fix. I use the Ipad air 2 with no cell. The GPS still works when I fly and I've used the follow me feature as well. But I also have an Iphone 7+ so I've flown with that also. Both work great but I love the bigger screen!! Just ordered a hood that will be in today.
2017-1-10
Use props
theGrindLab.com
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Langstonius Posted at 2017-1-10 08:53
Actually I can install apps on my ladies fire tablet not from Amazons store...

My apologies for not being more specific. I am referring to only SOME Amazon Android tablets where you must use Amazon's own app store as opposed to Google Play Store. My point was that some Android devices (like the one that comes with the P4P+) are not able to install apps through the "regular" Google Play Store. So yes, you DO have an Android device, but that doesn't mean much when you cannot install other apps available on Android for DJI products.
2017-1-10
Use props
Langstonius
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-1-10 10:33
My apologies for not being more specific. I am referring to only SOME Amazon Android tablets where you must use Amazon's own app store as opposed to Google Play Store. My point was that some Android devices (like the one that comes with the P4P+) are not able to install apps through the "regular" Google Play Store. So yes, you DO have an Android device, but that doesn't mean much when you cannot install other apps available on Android for DJI products.

no worries. im just a big whiny baby because im used to being able to crack whatever device is in front of me, but not so much this RC :*(
Also, it seems ALL sideloading methods are prevented by what is essentially the system lying to itself.

Try to install app after deploying apk via web server, adb upload, etc --> insufficient space.
Examine the device, plenty of space

So someone moved things around to double prevent people from even having the choice in a manner that makes the system lie about whats going on, easily verified by poking around the internals. Which is likely more than you care about (who wants to read about android anyways)

ill shutup now.
2017-1-11
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules