Wind blew my drone away because I'm a fool -- any GPS tracker advice
6279 66 2016-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJIyumm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 868740 ft
United States

Well, I can't believe it, but after letting the drone thaw out I tested it this morning and everything still works great.  Didn't even have to re-calibrate the IMU or anything.

These things are hearty!  Well done DJI.  Well done.

Thanks everyone for being a part of my saga!

(And yes, I'll be getting a tracker next)
2016-12-9
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 210118 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJIyumm Posted at 2016-12-9 07:32
Well, I can't believe it, but after letting the drone thaw out I tested it this morning and everything still works great.  Didn't even have to re-calibrate the IMU or anything.

These things are hearty!  Well done DJI.  Well done.

Keep this thread updated on the tracker you do get and where you mount it. Im new to drones and this story could have easily happened to me.

My question for seasoned vets,

Would adding such a device hamper the performance of the p4pro+ in any way? I know this is a p3 but i have a p4pro+.
2016-12-9
Use props
DJIyumm
lvl.1
United States

marctronixx Posted at 2016-12-9 10:17
Keep this thread updated on the tracker you do get and where you mount it. Im new to drones and this story could have easily happened to me.

My question for seasoned vets,

For what it's worth, thanks to feedback from these forums, at the moment I'm looking at both the tk102, tk109b and the RF-V16.
All roughly $20 - $30 on ebay (not including the sim card and pay as you go plan which appear to be aroun $10 for 3 months or so).

Seems like there are lots of various 3d printed devices available online and on ebay people have made for each that help you mount the device to one of the legs of the phantom (both versions).  This seems to be around $10 - $20 or so and claim not to affect the Phantom's flight in anyway.
2016-12-9
Use props
phantom_of_the_
lvl.2
Flight distance : 90459 ft
United Kingdom

Glad you got it back. I use the RF-V16 which sits inside a 3D printed holder which secures to the front and back legs of my Phantom 4 (one side).
2016-12-9
Use props
DJIyumm
lvl.1
United States

phantom_of_the_ Posted at 2016-12-9 15:03
Glad you got it back. I use the RF-V16 which sits inside a 3D printed holder which secures to the front and back legs of my Phantom 4 (one side).

I'm reading some posts from people clutching their pearls that the RF-V16 is 2g only and that 2g is being phased out so it won't work....
Have you noticed any coverage problems?  I'm leaning towards that as it seems smaller than the others
2016-12-9
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 904364 ft
United States

DJIyumm Posted at 2016-12-9 16:39
I'm reading some posts from people clutching their pearls that the RF-V16 is 2g only and that 2g is being phased out so it won't work....
Have you noticed any coverage problems?  I'm leaning towards that as it seems smaller than the others

I have the Trackimo 3G (yes I know, it cost too much), but my point is yes I agree anyone getting a GPS tracker now a days needs to think very hard about not getting a 2G version as many companies are closing out this service. There going to 4G now, so a 3G should be the min.
2016-12-9
Use props
DJIyumm
lvl.1
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-9 17:22
I have the Trackimo 3G (yes I know, it cost too much), but my point is yes I agree anyone getting a GPS tracker now a days needs to think very hard about not getting a 2G version as many companies are closing out this service. There going to 4G now, so a 3G should be the min.

I was about to get Trackimo but read on the Trackimo specs page that it uses 2g, not 3g.... so isn't it just as likely to be shut down with everything else?  I see ATT is shutting down 2g starting in Jan 2017.

I'm so confused about this tracker situation.
2016-12-9
Use props
Jester
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195016 ft

United States

I'm glad that you reocovered your baby!
2016-12-9
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

DJIyumm Posted at 2016-12-9 22:12
I was about to get Trackimo but read on the Trackimo specs page that it uses 2g, not 3g.... so isn't it just as likely to be shut down with everything else?  I see ATT is shutting down 2g starting in Jan 2017.

I'm so confused about this tracker situation.

They have a 3G version too.
https://buytrackimo.myshopify.co ... 28510396.1480988479
2016-12-9
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-10 00:05
They have a 3G version too.
https://buytrackimo.myshopify.com/products/3g-trackimo-gps-tracker-including-free-shipping-and-1-year-gsm-service?_ga=1.254151816.1628510396.1480988479

can you post a photo showing how its connected on your rig?
2016-12-10
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

marctronixx Posted at 2016-12-10 23:19
can you post a photo showing how its connected on your rig?

Here you go:
IMAG0248.jpg
2016-12-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

DJIyumm Posted at 2016-12-10 08:39

Like all the others, they have a 3G version as well, that's what I have.
2016-12-10
Use props
marctronixx
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

first off, i have that same tagon my Steadicam.

secondly,

that black piece under it.. thats the polar pro filter gimbal thing yeah? i see you've zip tied it as well.

and a dumb question perhaps.. adding this does not hamper or slow down the rig at all?
you have somethign zip tied to the arm of the rig.. is that the antenna?
2016-12-10
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-10 23:44
Like all the others, they have a 3G version as well, that's what I have.

Are you sure, or does it just work with a 3G sim card. Just because a 3G or 4G card works in the unit doesn't mean it's connecting via that service. It's the hardware within the unit that determines that.
2016-12-10
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

marctronixx Posted at 2016-12-10 23:53
first off, i have that same tagon my Steadicam.

secondly,

The black part that the tracker is sitting on is the SURMIK® Gimbal Guard (Carbon Fiber Protection Board), if that's what you were asking. And no, it has no affect at all on the flight of the drone.
2016-12-10
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

WilliamM Posted at 2016-12-11 15:58
Are you sure, or does it just work with a 3G sim card. Just because a 3G or 4G card works in the unit doesn't mean it's connecting via that service. It's the hardware within the unit that determines that.

Yes, I asked the company (ReachFar) about it before I bought it. There would not be any point in continuing to make the device if the network is being shut down.
2016-12-10
Use props
WilliamM
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-11 00:48
Yes, I asked the company (ReachFar) about it before I bought it. There would not be any point in continuing to make the device if the network is being shut down.

I'll research it deeper and report back, because I think it's important to know for sure. I for one comment on these forums about this very subject often and don't want to post wrong info myself. But honestly relying on a sales person to give someone the truth about their products is putting more faith in humanity than I do when it comes to big companies. Also would disagree about their being a good reason to sell a device that will be obsolete one day. First it's "one day" not at this current time, at the moment they work. Coverage is still there for 2G, it's the years coming that's the issue. Second, even when they do stop producing the 2G version there will still be many on the shelf of their warehouse and vendors will still have them in their inventories. So they (anyone selling them) will continue until all inventory is sold. This would be true with all GPS trackers, not just this model.
2016-12-11
Use props
Sky173
lvl.2
Flight distance : 70289 ft
United States

Very lucky to have found it, but what occurred was very dangerous... but we've all been there and (hopefully) learn from our mistakes. Before you fly again, download the app "UAV Forecast"  ( <--- or visit the link). Carefully, adjust the settings to suite your sUAS. Before you fly, open the app and it will tell you if you are good to fly or not... cheers!
2016-12-11
Use props
Desertrose
lvl.2
United States

Congratulations DJIyumm!

Couldn't help reading through the thread and feeling your pain while your bird was lost. I just acquired my P3P on November 29th, though haven't had the good fortune to make a maiden flight yet. Hardware seems to operate fine although the GO app compatability with my LG Stylo 2 Plus cellphone may be contributing to my issues. Either way, thanks for sharing your experience on the forum for the numerous newbie's like myself to learn from. I'll be calling my insurance agent this week to find out the cost of covering my bird before any windy misfortune sends my bird out of sight or at high-speed into the ground...

Best Wishes...
2016-12-11
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Glad you found it. Here in the midwest where I live cell service is sketchy once you're away from town. I use Marco Polo on my Phantoms.
2016-12-11
Use props
Julia Baker
lvl.1

Philippines

I hear trackimo has great gps trackers. I could find infos about it if anyone wants it.
2017-7-19
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Lets clear up some fundamental mistakes posted by 'learned gents' ....

RTH power level : This is NOT fixed at 2/3rds full but depends on Flight Controllers detection of speed of return. The FC is designed to try and optimise power for that RTH to avoid wasting power at too high a level. If you cancel RTH and hit max speed at manual return - you will 'burn' up more power .... than if you let the auto RTH function work ... bit like Cruise Control vs your right foot in the car !

ATTI mode : GPS is not used for hover or position stabilisation but if available STILL gives data for RTH - so switching to ATTI mode does not as some claim leave you without GPS at all. Page 12 of the P3S manual

Nigel
2017-7-20
Use props
PandaFlyingcat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2014111 ft
China

i say this a hundred times and repeat myself: djis decision to reduce coming home speed even more slow than before is a mistake and make the fact that we user should be able to change parameter in order to set RTH SPEED even more important. i changed my parameter already so if i fly in stronger wind and loose contact the drone will go home with 35-40km/h and not 15!
2017-7-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I have never seem RTH speed low ... it has always been at reasonable high speed ... the biggest factor being wind ...

Example - when I lost my Standard into the river because of battery running out before home ... I was foolish not to notice a full speed OUT of 60kph .... and a speed of 30kph coming back.

The Coming back was 30kph ... BUT note the speed going out and how high at 60kph ... that means I had a serious wind blowing and the RTH GROUND speed was cut back because of it.

Here's the video ...

So where does this 15kph come from ? All my RTH's have been at well over that in fact ...  mt Pro shows similar RTH speeds as well ...
Note - Please do not start telling me what I did wrong in this flight .. I am well aware and also that the Standard does NOT stop landing like the Adv / Pro in such situation.

Nigel

2017-7-20
Use props
bob37
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260384 ft
United States

I ALWYAS check the UAV weather forecast with it se to 300 feet (my RTH altitude).  The site is:
https://www.uavforecast.com/
Make this a habit to check before flying.  
It is easy to set up and will prevent that event for happening.  I have seen times where the ground wind is low but at 300 feet is very high.
2017-7-20
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

I had two pints of Beer which may have relaxed me a bit ... but during the flight - I had some problems which caused my attention to be on other matters in the flight ...

I usually use Windguru .... which gives very good forecasts ... but that day was a 'quickie' decision to go fly. I basically looked out window - all was great - I can see trees that I also use for indicator ... but during flight I did something that I usually avoid ... that's do partial run home and then about and out again to max ... without that partial run in early part - she would have made it back.
Anyway enouigh about my mistakes ... point of the video is the clear indicator of speed with and against wind showing that a claim of 15kph RTH speed is rubbish ...  

Nigel
2017-7-20
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

tape your cell phone to the drone and use find my phone from your tablet ... once you reach wifi
2017-7-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules