Mavic vs Bird
3758 31 2016-12-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 749413 ft
Australia

Today I went for a quick test of tripod mode. sorry for poor video quality, very bright today Auto, ND filters on the way.
I noticed a bird (large crow) hovering around checking out my mav I headed further away and forgot about it.

Testing tripod later, i was hit, I took me a second to get it back, flipped it to sports mode and started flying defensively. It chased me.

made it home. safe landing

A quick video of the event

2016-12-6
Use props
Warrior200
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Great piloting, I had this problem with the parrot bebop and on impact the bebops motors stop and down it comes I'm pleased the mavic doesn't do that and you have a chance to fly back to the home point. I'm surprised the crow didn't suffer any injuries
2016-12-6
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

It was very keen to take down the Mavic. Big black bird, it must have seen the black mav as a threat.

I had flown P4 here no problem, I guess the similarity in size and shape got the bird fired up.

Maybe something to consider if near big black birds.

Got the heart going
2016-12-7
Use props
lignow
lvl.4
Canada

Birds Bees and Trees
2016-12-7
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

Yes they were all there today.
Bees worried me the least
2016-12-7
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

It's Australia... everything there wants to kill you!
2016-12-7
Use props
Craig126
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I had 2 seagulls circling my mavic this morning as it was hovering. Must've felt threatened by it as it must look like a bird of prey to them....
2016-12-7
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

Zatx Posted at 2016-12-7 20:56
It's Australia... everything there wants to kill you!

Ha ha, agree. I haven't battled the snakes yet, and don't fly low enough to let the koalas attack
2016-12-7
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

Craig126 Posted at 2016-12-7 21:07
I had 2 seagulls circling my mavic this morning as it was hovering. Must've felt threatened by it as it must look like a bird of prey to them....

This bird seemed very angry, maybe the way the Mavic moved it looked like a force to be reckoned with.

It was a surprise to me how fast it took to it when first taking off, no hesitation to look and watch it, straight at it
2016-12-7
Use props
dana5
lvl.3
Flight distance : 14354 ft
United States

My initial though on the sticker skins people want to put on their Mavics was just stupid. But, I have since read that the orange skin some are using keeps birds from attacking the drone. The stickers still look stupid, and cheapen the appearance of a quality product, but it's probably your best bet against a predator like this.
2016-12-7
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

dana5 Posted at 2016-12-7 21:59
My initial though on the sticker skins people want to put on their Mavics was just stupid. But, I have since read that the orange skin some are using keeps birds from attacking the drone. The stickers still look stupid, and cheapen the appearance of a quality product, but it's probably your best bet against a predator like this.

The Mavic looks so good though

I did have the same thoughts, might have to scarecrow it up a little, big eye stickers on the front or something
2016-12-7
Use props
RoryM
lvl.2
Flight distance : 291106 ft
United Kingdom

I had a couple of Buzzards circling my Mavic the other day here in Scotland... Brought it back sharpish just in case haha
2016-12-7
Use props
rick39
lvl.4
Flight distance : 164354 ft
United Kingdom

When you see some of the injuries the props can make to human skin and flesh, a bird could suffer mortal injury if the props hit it in the wrong place. Did it lose a few feathers?
2016-12-7
Use props
sarge43
lvl.2
United States

Glad your Mavic survived in tact!  I think the Mavic 2 should be weaponized with a repeating bb shooter at about 800 or so FPS so it can defend itself in the air.  Can  you imagine dogfighting with a bird in the air?  That would be epic! ;)
Sarge
2016-12-7
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Surprised it was a crow, they're typically defensive.. and usually they're the ones on the run from other birds/hawks/eagles. I've heard that the ultrasonic sensors at the bottom can interfere with wildlife, perhaps the ultrasound unintentionally told the crow to go screw himself.. and attacked your mavic in response.

Luckily this hasn't happened to me yet, I've flown near BIG birds, condors and some hawks. They were curious, but not scared or hostile.  
2016-12-7
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Craig126 Posted at 2016-12-7 05:07

This past weekend I was flying my Mavic in San Francisco and on 2 occasions at 2 different locations I had Seagulls come swoop down on the Mavic a few times I ended up bringing it back in and landing. Scared the S**T out of me as I didnt want to hurt the bird or the crash the Mavic.
2016-12-7
Use props
Derodeo
lvl.2

Canada

Bird opposition isn't something I've given much thought to but maybe I should. I've got a fair number of great horned owls on my farm, every old farmyard has one or two so about 6 total I'm guessing. And every one looks huge, they can weigh up to 5.5 lbs with a 5' wingspan and all have very impressive talons. If one takes offense to my not yet received Mavic, I don't think there would be much I could do to save it. And I don't want to harm the bird either as these beasts are probably the most efficient small rodent hunters around. At least owls are not high altitude flyers. Those would be the hawks I guess...
2016-12-7
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Derodeo Posted at 2016-12-7 10:59
Bird opposition isn't something I've given much thought to but maybe I should. I've got a fair number of great horned owls on my farm, every old farmyard has one or two so about 6 total I'm guessing. And every one looks huge, they can weigh up to 5.5 lbs with a 5' wingspan and all have very impressive talons. If one takes offense to my not yet received Mavic, I don't think there would be much I could do to save it. And I don't want to harm the bird either as these beasts are probably the most efficient small rodent hunters around. At least owls are not high altitude flyers. Those would be the hawks I guess...

If you see one coming id say try to fly straight up since they are not high altitude flyers. I dont know if I would try to land as they may want to pick it up and take it with them.
2016-12-7
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I lost my Microdrone 3.0 to a big crow when I couldn't get it down fast enough, it's now presumably feathering a shiny nest somewhere. Was hoping to have at least come away with some neat footage, but I lost the video feed before the attack.
2016-12-7
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

I was recording with the OSMO plus on chest harness, I'll check the footage and see if it shows.

It was a good dog fight, I was scared but smiling
2016-12-7
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

Ex Machina Posted at 2016-12-8 03:36
I lost my Microdrone 3.0 to a big crow when I couldn't get it down fast enough, it's now presumably feathering a shiny nest somewhere. Was hoping to have at least come away with some neat footage, but I lost the video feed before the attack.

You may be correct regarding nesting, someone offered comments on another page mentioning their phantom was recently attacked by a crow here in Aus. It is that time of nesting here
2016-12-7
Use props
fans628b7609
lvl.2
Flight distance : 234948 ft
  • >>>
United States

Bax Posted at 2016-12-7 20:15
You may be correct regarding nesting, someone offered comments on another page mentioning their phantom was recently attacked by a crow here in Aus. It is that time of nesting here

Crow or Magpies? Magpies are particularly aggressive this time of year so are the Magpie Larks. I had a couple of small finches try to dive bomb mine. Seems like its the right size for birds to attack as it must seem not as much a threat then the Phantom or Inspire 1
2016-12-7
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100807 ft
Australia

Thats a great video! lucky to get away without damage. Im on the Goldy and have a large reserve behind us but have not had any issues crows or maggies. Its those little buggers that try and give me grief (finches or something similar)
2016-12-7
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

I had a hawk near  me today that seemed to have an interest in the Mavic.  I moved away and landed shortly after noticing him and he followed me (circling) until the Mavic was about to land.  No need to tangle with Mother Nature.
2016-12-7
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

I am going to head back and do another careful flight.

Going to take it easy and try to film a properly exposed section of footage. I will update if the enemy returns
2016-12-7
Use props
DaveAus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 100807 ft
Australia

He's probably posting the same thing on the crow forums
2016-12-7
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Australia

DaveAus Posted at 2016-12-8 14:56
He's probably posting the same thing on the crow forums

He probably flew into the Mavic for YouTube views Its Casey neiscrow

Anyway, I went to another location the last few days, it had been ridiculous there with birds, I think little sparrows? Or something.

It must be nesting season, I had 100 easily the last few days darting around the Mavic, no crash yet! I am very nervy of birds at the moment.

Crows were in the area, chased cockatoos but left Mavic alone.

The small flock of birds seemed to all hang up, heaps, more and more trying to swoop the Mav.

I got scared, sports it to altitude only a few followed.

I haven't checked footage yet, definitely around here birds seem pissed at the Mavic at the moment. Something to consider maybe
2016-12-10
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Saw this and thought of your encounter: MINING COMPANY LOSES 9 SURVEILLANCE DRONES – BECAUSE OF EAGLES
2016-12-29
Use props
Skyhawk
lvl.1

United States

Good save, I dread this when flying out here in the Red Centre of Australia. I am very watchful of birds of prey here cause there are so many different varieties including wedge-tail eagles and more commonly Kites.
2016-12-29
Use props
Jan0175
lvl.1

Indonesia

Yesterday I flew my Mavic and I saw 2 eagles soaring, tried to level the altitude with them and record their flight with Mavic but I couldn't pass 250m+ altitude , can't see my Mavic beyond that LOL
2016-12-29
Use props
Speeder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 491732 ft
New Zealand

Bax Posted at 2016-12-7 00:36
It was very keen to take down the Mavic. Big black bird, it must have seen the black mav as a threat.

I had flown P4 here no problem, I guess the similarity in size and shape got the bird fired up.

I flew in Malaka (Malaysia) and a crow attacked my p3a as well, he was chasing for a while, was pretty hard to fly and land at the same time due to TV antennas and the water canal under ...
2016-12-29
Use props
MediaElite
lvl.3
Flight distance : 408343 ft
United States

I installed an eagle skin on my Inspire for this reason.  Before my Inspire skin, birds would approach the drone, now they scramble away.  I need to find a monster skin with big white teeth for the Mavic.  These birds have superb vision, so they will see the detail and possibly stay away.
2016-12-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules