Mavic crossing an arched bridge
944 5 2016-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
D_jan_i
lvl.3
Flight distance : 562802 ft
United States

I wanted to ask the Pros if they see a problem to fly with the Mavic over water and crossing an arched bridge at around 5-8 ft. I wanted to do some nice tripod mode flights and I guess it would look awesome but with the problems I've read about the GPS modes I fear it's probably not the best idea. The Mavic should normally lose the GPS connection during that time and I guess that could be critically - any ideas/comments/proposals?
2016-12-7
Use props
Visualkaos
lvl.4
Flight distance : 755988 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is what I would do.  I would set the return to home as hover so if for whatever reason you loose temporary connection it doesn't go up into the bridge.  If you loose your gps just be prepared to fly out from under it in atti mode until it regains gps.  It will maintain its height even in atti mode.  If the water is moving quickly I would turn off the lower vps sensors to prevent it from trying to follow the current.  
2016-12-7
Use props
D_jan_i
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for your feedback, it sounds promising and makes sense, I guess the tip with the sensoric is the key - otherwise I'm quite sure that it would do something strange (beside the RTH height)
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

D_jan_i Posted at 2016-12-7 12:38
Thanks for your feedback, it sounds promising and makes sense, I guess the tip with the sensoric is the key - otherwise I'm quite sure that it would do something strange (beside the RTH height)

If your close to the bridge your not going to lose signal so RTH is not an issue., BUT whenever you are flying underneath something setting the RTH to hover is best.
You may lose GPS and if ground was below then the VPS would keep you stationary and not drift around.
But with the water, the sensors may have a problem so if it does go into ATTI mode and the sensors cannot read the water then you will have to manually control the aircraft.
Not something you should do if you are not a well experienced pilot and flying in ATTI mode is a breeze.
2016-12-7
Use props
ctopysf
lvl.2

United States

If the water is moving, it could mess with the downward VPS. My friend nearly ran into a hand-rail because of this.
2016-12-7
Use props
D_jan_i
lvl.3
United States

Thanks for all the feedback, I guess I will manage to fly without GPS, never had a problem with that - I was just thinking about the 'helpful" features the Mavic has, for special situation it gets tricky  ;-)
2016-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules