What am I doing wrong.
1745 19 2016-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Surreyflier
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Went to  the South side of Boxhill today.  Weather was a bit overcast, no bright sunshine.
Had the ISO on 100 and shutter at 2. EV was 1.7. Had a few zebra lines so spun the wheel to shutter speed 100.
The zebra lines went but the IPad Air screen was to dark to see anything. iPad  screen settings were high.
I don't really understand camera settings but usually get by using trial and error.
Am I doing something wrong and would some sort of filter allow me to keep the above settings without having iPad screen.

Anyway on a better note I Wish I had set up 5 minutes earlier instead of looking around for a flat surface as a bird of prey was hovering above me.
Flying from the side of a steep hill with a few trees around at least gave me a bit of experience.

2016-12-7
Use props
BillW50
lvl.3

United States

Those are overexposure warning lines. You can turn them off somewhere.
2016-12-7
Use props
Knobbynomates
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18504 ft
United Kingdom

Wrong time of year for flying in the UK (unless we get some snow!) Just let the camera do its own thing - leave it on auto (at least until the sun comes out again) - I'm in Staffordshire
2016-12-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"ad the ISO on 100 and shutter at 2. EV was 1.7. Had a few zebra lines so spun the wheel to shutter speed 100.
The zebra lines went but the IPad Air screen was to dark to see anything. iPad  screen settings were high."

First, the EV you see on the screen is a setting that shows how far you have set the camera settings to under or over expose.
When the exposure settings are right for (for an average scene) it will show EV0.
If you dial in EV+3.0, you have set it to overexpose by three stops.
EV-3.0 indicates you have set it to underexpose by 3 full stops.
For average scenes, you should leave that around EV0
Leaving things on auto will get quite good results most of the time.
If you aren't familiar with camera settings, it's easy to screw things up and get bad results.

I'm not sure what was in the video but it has a large area of bright sky and a smaller area of darker forground.
The meter in the camera is going to have trouble with this.
As it exposes for the larger area of bright sky, you will get underexposure of the foreground.
Try to get more uniform lighting by tilting the camera downward if you want to show the ground rather than the sky or shooting with the sun rather than against it.
2016-12-7
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I noticed a lot of 'hot pixels' on lower part of image.  Would you remember which settings you used ?
2016-12-7
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

My first impression is that it really was too dull that day to bother with shooting. There is not a lot you can do to make it better.

Having said that, those 'zebra' lines in the picture are not the over-exposure warning, if I remember correctly, as the lines in the picture are vertical. If I remember correctly, the real zebra lines are diagonal. I may be wrong, but I think you have a faulty camera.
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Which Phantom do you have ?
You should not see those zebra lines, they should only be seen is the app view if you have over exposure warning enabled.

Have you only seen it on this video?
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-12-7 20:19
My first impression is that it really was too dull that day to bother with shooting. There is not a lot you can do to make it better.

Having said that, those 'zebra' lines in the picture are not the over-exposure warning, if I remember correctly, as the lines in the picture are vertical. If I remember correctly, the real zebra lines are diagonal. I may be wrong, but I think you have a faulty camera.

Zebra lines would be in the app view. not on the recorded video. I think camera sensor.
2016-12-7
Use props
Nelsonlee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2779203 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

The zebra try hide at the cloud, but i think some of the part are too big and can't hidden so showing out some  there.
3976728505_616588ea74_z.jpg
2016-12-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

The camera control wheel, at the front right corner of your RC  can also be used to reduce over exposure. Depending which setting it is on.
It being clickable, Press the wheel in, to switch it's modes settings.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nelsonlee Posted at 2016-12-7 21:09
The zebra try hide at the cloud, but i think some of the part are too big and can't hidden so showing out some  there.
[view_image]

Nelsonlee, you missed your calling as a comedian. Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-12-7
Use props
Nelsonlee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2779203 ft
  • >>>
Malaysia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-8 14:41
Nelsonlee, you missed your calling as a comedian. Haha

Forgive me for the joke...
2016-12-7
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Nelsonlee Posted at 2016-12-7 23:44
Forgive me for the joke...

No, please post more, we need plenty of humor to lighten the mood. Haha

RedHotPoker
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, is the video that you provided straight from the SD card or from the cached video?
2016-12-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha flier,

Is this also your video?  If so, you definitely have a broken camera.

Take a look at these issues Ken.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-7
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-7 17:57
Which Phantom do you have ?
You should not see those zebra lines, they should only be seen is the app view if you have over exposure warning enabled.

Aloha Ken,

Take a look at the video I posted above.  It sure looks like his, it even has the vertical lines in the sun.  Check out the black frames.  If that could be canned, it would be a great way to make night shots!

Sure looks like a broken camera to me.  Poor guy is trying to figure out difficult technology with a broken piece of equipment.  He needs help!

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-12-7
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Cetacean Posted at 2016-12-8 00:20
Aloha Ken,

Take a look at the video I posted above.  It sure looks like his, it even has the vertical lines in the sun.  Check out the black frames.  If that could be canned, it would be a great way to make night shots!

I agree, looks like a camera sensor problem.Probably the same person and it's a really strange issue that I've never seen before.
2016-12-8
Use props
Surreyflier
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for all the replies. The other clip of the tower is mine as well and both came off the SD card and do show on the video and not just on the screen. BTW it's  a P3A.
I don't think it's a case of being to dull. I've flown in worse conditions. Probably caused by 2 minor crashes I had recently.

Can the sensor be changed or do I need a whole new camera?
2016-12-8
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Surreyflier Posted at 2016-12-8 21:29
Thanks for all the replies. The other clip of the tower is mine as well and both came off the SD card and do show on the video and not just on the screen. BTW it's  a P3A.
I don't think it's a case of being to dull. I've flown in worse conditions. Probably caused by 2 minor crashes I had recently.

Just as a thought have you tried another clean formatted SD card ?
2016-12-8
Use props
Surreyflier
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2016-12-8 21:41
Just as a thought have you tried another clean formatted SD card ?

Yes I have several cards but thanks for the thought and replying
2016-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules