Possible solution on issue with Optical stabilization + Osmo mobile
2892 3 2016-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kasperfiil
lvl.1

Faroe Islands

Some users are having problems with jittering, bobbing, when filming with rear camera on especially IPhone 7.
This is seemingly a hardware issue in the OIS (Optical Image Stabilization) in the phone, the stabilizing element dangling between some small springs.
When not 'ninja-walking' this element moves a litle bit for each step you take.
A user mentioned, that placing a magnet next to the rear camera might help. It sounds stupid, but it really helps quite a bit.
I found it helpful to place a neodymium magnet on the opposite site (front) of the phone.
This magnet somehow 'locks' the OIS element.

Whether you try this or not is your own decision at your own risk.

Would it be possible to do this electronically? Maybe activate one or two electromagnets in the OIS, locking the element this way?

Look at the two videos below. I am not 'ninja-walking', nor trying

IMG_3740.JPG
IMG_3742.JPG
2016-12-7
Use props
Zoti
lvl.3
Flight distance : 101526 ft
United States

Kind of looks the same to me. I didn't notice crazy warping in either one of the videos.
2016-12-8
Use props
Kasperfiil
lvl.1

Faroe Islands

Zoti Posted at 2016-12-8 08:10
Kind of looks the same to me. I didn't notice crazy warping in either one of the videos.

In high resolution this makes a big difference. May be hard to notice in low resolution. It is helping, but not eliminating it.
2016-12-8
Use props
imahawki78
New

United States

I agree that I don't see a huge improvement and you are likely putting the mechanical parts of the OIS at risk with the magnet.  So if you want to break your $800 phone so you can use a $300 gimbal feel free.  I think part of the issue is also that the Plus size smartphones are pushing the limits of the OSMO mobile's weight capacity.
2016-12-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules