3150 19 2016-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FlyLowandSlow
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3505518 ft
  • >>>
United States

I iknow it's been talked about a lot but I'm getting a ton of Out Of Focus (OOF) shots with the new Mavic. A problem I don't seem to have with my Phantom 4 Pro. The bigestet issue I see is that on power up it seems to put everything out of focus. I have program a focus button to C2 but it still isn't 100% on achieving focus. Try using that in low light and you might as well rub vasalenie on the lens. All my low light shots have been out of focus. I have switched to the focus peaking mode to insure confidence in my focus (these small screens are hard to judge focus) but I'm not a fan of the peaking it makes it distracting to set up the scene properly.

What if focus peaking was an option for the custom buttons or the 5D button, that whould be a start.

Other than that there should be a defult of infinity when focus is not set with the button.

2016-12-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please upload several original pictures to dropbox showing the focus issue?
Have you tried to calibrate everything before flight?
2016-12-9
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6516 ft
  • >>>
United States

I calibrate before every flight -- and tap to focus.  My last three shoots have been completely soft.  Even my stills.  So frustrating!  Is there an update or something that addresses this?
2017-1-13
Use props
zach5150
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225148 ft
United States

I was taking video and focus started off fine but mid flight suddenly lost the ability to focus. It only happened once and has been fine since, but it was definitely strange.
2017-1-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Blu_Kerry Posted at 2017-1-13 14:04
I calibrate before every flight -- and tap to focus.  My last three shoots have been completely soft.  Even my stills.  So frustrating!  Is there an update or something that addresses this?

If your camera is not focusing, you can restore to factory settings or refresh the firmware from the Assisant2.
See if that helps, if not can you post a quick video clip of your live view and tapping to focus on a subject.
2017-1-13
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-13 14:52
If your camera is not focusing, you can restore to factory settings or refresh the firmware from the Assisant2.
See if that helps, if not can you post a quick video clip of your live view and tapping to focus on a subject.

okay I'll try that now
2017-1-17
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Sounds good,
2017-1-17
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hi Ken!  Just restored to factory settings and refreshed the firmware and sent her up.  Looks GREAT!!  Everything was in focus.  I have a few shoots this week, so will update again, but this seems to have done the trick.  THANK YOU!
2017-1-17
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-13 14:52

Hi Ken - I've got the same issue.  
Using the Assistant (connected to the Mac) I attempted to refresh the Firmware (current version V01.03.0200), which keeps failing.  I've also done a restore of the factory settings.  
Can you confirm whether or not  the restore factory settings, will take the firmware back to the version that was shipped with the Mavic (I assume not).  And what do I need to do to get the refresh to work?

Also, can you give me some idea of what the file size should be, when shooting with the settings that should offer a well focused, high quality shot.  My images are never more than 6.3MB, (typically 5.8MB) which seems very, very low.
2017-1-18
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

GMG Posted at 2017-1-18 06:05
Hi Ken - I've got the same issue.  
Using the Assistant (connected to the Mac) I attempted to refresh the Firmware (current version V01.03.0200), which keeps failing.  I've also done a restore of the factory settings.  
Can you confirm whether or not  the restore factory settings, will take the firmware back to the version that was shipped with the Mavic (I assume not).  And what do I need to do to get the refresh to work?

Restoring factory settings should just clear out all your settings and restore to default but keep the same firmware.
And that's about right file size for a JPEG.
2017-1-18
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Hi Ken,

So had my shoot today with a client and the images and video are all soft.  I am using auto settings...tap to focus.  The wind speeds today were 3-5mph max....I calibrated.  When I tested it the other day, it was over a pond, but today's shoot was of a home in a populated neighborhood.  The house is soft.  Even in the video.  I have another tomorrow morning and am feeling like I might need to go buy another drone for the job.    What would you recommend I do?  
2017-1-19
Use props
Bent Kangaroo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 362510 ft
Australia

P4P is better suited to image quality that professionals require for business.
2017-1-21
Use props
ZCYJ8Pymnp6o
lvl.1

United States

Blu_Kerry Posted at 2017-1-19 12:30
Hi Ken,

So had my shoot today with a client and the images and video are all soft.  I am using auto settings...tap to focus.  The wind speeds today were 3-5mph max....I calibrated.  When I tested it the other day, it was over a pond, but today's shoot was of a home in a populated neighborhood.  The house is soft.  Even in the video.  I have another tomorrow morning and am feeling like I might need to go buy another drone for the job.    What would you recommend I do?

I'm having the same problem.   Did you get yours to clear up on your next video shoot?
2017-2-8
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Blu_Kerry Posted at 2017-1-19 12:30
Hi Ken,

So had my shoot today with a client and the images and video are all soft.  I am using auto settings...tap to focus.  The wind speeds today were 3-5mph max....I calibrated.  When I tested it the other day, it was over a pond, but today's shoot was of a home in a populated neighborhood.  The house is soft.  Even in the video.  I have another tomorrow morning and am feeling like I might need to go buy another drone for the job.    What would you recommend I do?

The quality of light makes a huge difference in photo/video quality. Some folks are recommending bumping up sharpness settings in lower-light conditions and backing off when in bright light.

Also good to keep in mind is that the camera's autofocus functionality relies on the subject having enough contrast for the camera to get a grip on. One thing you can try if you are on iOS is to enable focus-peaking, which will add some red static to objects in focus, performing an easy reality check -- especially helpful when switching to manual focus mode.

Hope some of this helps.
2017-2-8
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-8 13:34
The quality of light makes a huge difference in photo/video quality. Some folks are recommending bumping up sharpness settings in lower-light conditions and backing off when in bright light.

Also good to keep in mind is that the camera's autofocus functionality relies on the subject having enough contrast for the camera to get a grip on. One thing you can try if you are on iOS is to enable focus-peaking, which will add some red static to objects in focus, performing an easy reality check -- especially helpful when switching to manual focus mode.

Thanks!  I ended up sending it in for repair and there was something wrong with the gimbal mount apparently.  It's currently en route back to me.  Here's hoping the issue is resolved!  
2017-2-12
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Blu_Kerry Posted at 2017-2-12 09:08
Thanks!  I ended up sending it in for repair and there was something wrong with the gimbal mount apparently.  It's currently en route back to me.  Here's hoping the issue is resolved!

Cool -- did you ever post sample images? I'd be curious to see how soft they were -- I guess the gimbal wasn't fully compensating for vibration?
2017-2-12
Use props
Blu_Kerry
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-2-12 15:49
Cool -- did you ever post sample images? I'd be curious to see how soft they were -- I guess the gimbal wasn't fully compensating for vibration?

I think so -- the entire image was soft.  Blurry sometimes.  I do have some images I can post.  
2017-2-16
Use props
Narvon
New

United States

zach5150 Posted at 2017-1-13 14:36
I was taking video and focus started off fine but mid flight suddenly lost the ability to focus. It only happened once and has been fine since, but it was definitely strange.

This is my issue. After 30 sec to 1 min of flight, my focus goes out. I tried to refocus with Touch Display, then changed to Manual with no joy. Eventually, I have to RTH, shut down and re power up the Mavic to regain proper focus......This has happened a handful of times and will only fix the same way. Also, has happened with latest and previous updates to firmware.
2017-2-28
Use props
fans38d64704
New
Flight distance : 806217 ft
Australia

Narvon Posted at 2017-2-28 07:37
This is my issue. After 30 sec to 1 min of flight, my focus goes out. I tried to refocus with Touch Display, then changed to Manual with no joy. Eventually, I have to RTH, shut down and re power up the Mavic to regain proper focus......This has happened a handful of times and will only fix the same way. Also, has happened with latest and previous updates to firmware. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bM9A8cg2Z4

Me to! Would love to know if there is a fix
2017-3-8
Use props
rocsen
New

Switzerland

Has there been any progress on this issue?
2017-4-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules