3135 20 2016-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rook
lvl.1
Flight distance : 929321 ft
United States

Hey everyone!

So this is my first stab at making something creative with my inspire X5.  I got to spend a day at the California dunes of Dumont during Thanksgiving weekend; what an amazing place!  Please feel free leave constructive comments and give me tips on how to make my next one better.  I'm particularly interested to find out which settings you professional guys use to get your footage so smooth.  Caveat:  I only have a handful of hours on sUAS and I am no ninja on FCPX yet... but I learn fast

dunes P.png
2016-12-8
Use props
Donnie Stugots
First Officer
Flight distance : 3636782 ft
United States

Well done mate, looks like you have a future in this for sure .  Just maybe add a few close in shots and then pull away so you know what the buggies look like , but this is nit pickin.
2016-12-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice video, I miss those Thanksgiving weekends at the desert.
2016-12-9
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

It's an overall great job, thanks for sharing. Most of your shots were smooth, and there were only a few shots where the yaw was a little jerky or where a pan movement speed could be a little more consistent. An example would be 0:47 - 0:55, where it looked like you were gonna miss a mark and it seemed like you put on the brakes a bit before moving to more of a crawl.

That's a little nit picking myself, but that day looked like it was a lot of fun!
2016-12-13
Use props
LICENSED PILOT
Second Officer
Flight distance : 692090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kudos.   
2016-12-13
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Well done! Bravo!

I wondered where all those Polaris quads were going too. Polaris might get a kick out of seeing this too.
2016-12-13
Use props
fredriktm
lvl.1
Flight distance : 300292 ft
Indonesia

Nice video filming and editing with a slomo option.
2016-12-14
Use props
Ziid
lvl.1

Denmark

nice!!! I love the landscape and vid.
2016-12-15
Use props
rodger
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Interesting area. Check Jim Hare's Tutorial's for some tips on FCPX
2016-12-15
Use props
Morrisson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

This is awesome. I love the backlit dust in the sky! The stuff with the hard sun is gorgeous!
2016-12-15
Use props
Trackerputnam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5728392 ft
United States

Thank you!
2016-12-15
Use props
DoubleV
lvl.1

United States

Great vid, excellent job!
2016-12-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thank you for sharing your work...

It looks like a lot of fun
Rich
2016-12-17
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Pretty neat! Never would have known about this kind of thing without seeing it since I live in the midwest.
2016-12-17
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

3:13 onwards... wow... so many awesome shots
2016-12-25
Use props
Brocktree
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the share. This place isn't too far from me, I might consider heading down there over summer if the heat isn't too bad.
2016-12-27
Use props
Seaduner
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7619229 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nice shots!    I've been to Dumont Dunes no less than 100 times, I know those dunes very well.  I'm sure I have driven over 5000 miles on those dunes over the decades I've been there. I started in 1978!  However it's been several years since I have visited.  Your video brings back many memories created at Dumont.  Great times.

The one shot that seemed the most dramatic to me was the ascend from behind the Comp Hill dune showing all of the RV's behind the dune, down below.  I like that "reveal shot" the best.  Slow motion once or twice in the short video is a nice touch.  I personally didn't like the fast forward edits, it just didn't sit right with me.  In my mind it cheapens the production, looking like a cartoon.  Just some food for thought.  

I've gotta go back to Dumont this season.  I'm taking my P4 also.  Sunsets there can be pretty nice on some days.
2016-12-27
Use props
fansda835cd1
lvl.2

United States

This is awesome I have a few Baja's can can't wait to use the P4 while at the sand dunes running the Baja's.
2017-1-2
Use props
WYHSniper1007
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003822 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's cool!
2017-1-2
Use props
jetforce
lvl.3
Denmark

great video, could be a par from a Mad Max film
2017-1-9
Use props
Rook
lvl.1
Flight distance : 929321 ft
United States

Sorry guys, I had no idea so many people had left comments for me. It's been a busy year so far and I just haven't had a chance to log in! Many thanks for all the advice and I am glad you chaps found it entertaining.

Yes, I am finding that the yaw sensitivity is way too high, so it is very difficult to get a good rotation & crab shot. I will go out and play with a few more settings and see if I can do something better.

The last hour or so was beautiful with the low sun. I was going to stay and catch the morning but a dust storm came in and visibility went down to about 25 yards. There is no cell signal there so it was impossible to check the forecast and I called it a day. I would like to have had more shots to chose from but I only managed to get about an hour of flight time in the end. Better than nothing though.

Next time...
2017-2-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules