351393 351393 2016-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PolarPro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 315682 ft
  • >>>
United States

We just launched an app to help select which filter to use to get shutter to the sweet spot.
It would be awesome if we could get some early usability feedback on the app.

We would greatly appreciate your thoughts and feedback. The app is free to download and use:

iTunes: PolarPro-Filter Calculator-IOS
Google Play: PolarPro Filter Calculator-Android

Thank you in advance for your help,
Jeff

2016-12-8
Use props
Pekkle
lvl.2

United States

Thanks Jeff,
Don't need to carry my pocket ND sheet anymore.

Receiving my ND filters today. I'll test both out. And post up my personal feedback.

2016-12-8
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Pekkle Posted at 2016-12-8 12:27
Thanks Jeff,
Don't need to carry my pocket ND sheet anymore.

Awesome thank you very much, look forward to the feedback,
-Jeff
2016-12-8
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3632605 ft
France

Hi Jeff - Saw this just after I laminated a sheet to keep in my case!  
Just downloaded it.  Looks promising, as someone who is new to filters.  
A quick bit of usability feedback might be to allow users to tap anywhere on the screen, once they've selected a value on one of the scroll menus, to allow them to move on to the next selection.  We're getting into colder weather and the current requirement to tap directly on a chosen value to exit and move on to the next menu can be clunky.
Got a message yesterday, saying my filters are in the post (to France) so will let you know how we go.
Cheers!
2016-12-8
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GMG Posted at 2016-12-8 12:56
Hi Jeff - Saw this just after I laminated a sheet to keep in my case!  
Just downloaded it.  Looks promising, as someone who is new to filters.  
A quick bit of usability feedback might be to allow users to tap anywhere on the screen, once they've selected a value on one of the scroll menus, to allow them to move on to the next selection.  We're getting into colder weather and the current requirement to tap directly on a chosen value to exit and move on to the next menu can be clunky.

Awesome thank you very much for the feedback on the app and the filter order.
We greatly appreciate it!
-Jeff
2016-12-8
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2016-12-8 20:46
Awesome thank you very much for the feedback on the app and the filter order.
We greatly appreciate it!
-Jeff

How about a guide on the best way to use the guide.
2016-12-8
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
Flight distance : 741683 ft
United States

Interesting, I assume you just plug in the values that show in the DG4 app and the calculator tells you what to install to get them to the "optimum" setting?
Edit:  I am also assuming this is in "auto" mode.  Of course the readings could be taken in auto, filter installed after calculations and then set manually for consistent video...

Again, I'm assuming because I'm a video newb and looking for any help I can find.

Gary
2016-12-8
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Very nice Jeff
2016-12-8
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

Where can you buy ND filters for the mavic?
2016-12-8
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

Free Bird Posted at 2016-12-9 05:55

https://www.polarprofilters.com/ ... ers-and-accessories
2016-12-9
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

EdM Posted at 2016-12-8 18:57
How about a guide on the best way to use the guide.

For example a guide on where to find the values?
Or a guide that just explains what the calculator is doing?

Thanks for the help!

Jeff
2016-12-9
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2016-12-8 19:10
Interesting, I assume you just plug in the values that show in the DG4 app and the calculator tells you what to install to get them to the "optimum" setting?
Edit:  I am also assuming this is in "auto" mode.  Of course the readings could be taken in auto, filter installed after calculations and then set manually for consistent video...

Hi Gary,
If you download the app let me know what you think.

It just takes your current shutter speed and tells you how to get to double frame rate.

It works for both manual and Auto. Let me know if you get a chance to check the app out and if you have any feedback on usability or suggestions.
Much appreciated!
Jeff
2016-12-9
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thanks Ken!
2016-12-9
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Free Bird Posted at 2016-12-8 20:55

If you sit tight until next week you will see a new set of Cinema Series filters here:
https://www.polarprofilters.com/collections/dji-mavic-filters-and-accessories
Let me know if you have any questions on them,

Jeff
2016-12-9
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2016-12-9 11:19
Hi Gary,

I grabbed it last night.  I'll give it a shot this weekend and provide some feedback.  Thanks Jeff!

Gary
2016-12-9
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

GMG Posted at 2016-12-9 05:00

I'll be sure to get a set for my Mavic!
Excellent webpage, easy to find everything you need and more!
2016-12-9
Use props
Free Bird
lvl.3

Canada

PolarPro Posted at 2016-12-9 08:20
If you sit tight until next week you will see a new set of Cinema Series filters here:
Let me know if you have any questions on them,

I think this link doesn't go to the correct page. The other link above works and gets you to the proper webpages.

this link works.
2016-12-9
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Free Bird Posted at 2016-12-9 13:52
I think this link doesn't go to the correct page. The other link above works and gets you to the proper webpages.

Thank you! Got that updated!
-Jeff
2016-12-9
Use props
EdM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1491814 ft
  • >>>
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2016-12-9 10:17
For example a guide on where to find the values?
Or a guide that just explains what the calculator is doing?

Jeff, I see now, no need for a guide.   Pretty simple to figure out once I stop trying to over complicate it.  ;-)
2016-12-9
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

EdM Posted at 2016-12-9 19:31
Jeff, I see now, no need for a guide.   Pretty simple to figure out once I stop trying to over complicate it.  ;-)

Awesome, thank you very much for the insight. Actually out of all the beta testing, it does seem like most people want some sort of general overview of what the app is doing and how to use it. So the update should have all of this.

Appreciate the help,
Jeff
2016-12-10
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2016-12-9 11:19
Hi Gary,

Jeff,

I played with the app a bit today.  It did a good job of telling me what I needed, but I forgot I had an ND32... so I used the  ND16-PL and still had good results.  I'll try again tomorrow when i have my brain functioning at 100%.  Only side affect was the prop shadow at certain angles, but I don't blame the filter for that.  

One thing I have noticed on ALL my videos where I am running the filters is a purple color-cast when compared to nothing.  I know this can be an issue with some filters if they aren't "perfectly" gray.  It is most noticeable (as you might expect) with the ND32 and ND16 and CAN be corrected in post, but I wanted to give the feedback from a critical eye standpoint.  It would certainly be something to watch for on the Cinema series, as i would expect a more neutral gray on the more expensive filters.  It's one of the reasons photographers (my past-life) by B + W and such.  Quality is everything in a filter.  As you know, every piece of glass added to a lens cuts the amount of light getting through and has a certain amount of distortion (light deflection and color).  The more expensive filters minimize this.

So, consider this "critical" feedback and know the average person probably won't notice it enough to be concerned, or just fix it in post.  I'm just hoping the CS filters are a bit more "cast-free".

Other than that, I'm VERY pleased with the filters and they work as advertised.  

For those wondering about the CP/PL and not being able to spin them, it isn't an issue.  Most of us go for max contrast anyway and that is easy to achieve by holding the filter up to the sky at 90 degrees to the sun (Sun directly to your left or right).  Then you rotate until you get the nice dark sky, look at the top of the lens and keep that point "UP" when you install on the Mavic.  If you are trying to look into the water, you may just want to rotate the filter looking into the water to remove the glare and install in that position.  Either way, it is a set it and forget it for the rest of the battery situation.  You have to pull it off when you change batteries anyway, so just double-check before re-installing that it is lined up to give the most contrast.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks again Jeff!

Gary
2016-12-10
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2016-12-10 12:29
Jeff,

I played with the app a bit today.  It did a good job of telling me what I needed, but I forgot I had an ND32... so I used the  ND16-PL and still had good results.  I'll try again tomorrow when i have my brain functioning at 100%.  Only side affect was the prop shadow at certain angles, but I don't blame the filter for that.  

Thank you very much for the detailed feedback Gary. I will look into that and see what we can get changed.
-Jeff
2016-12-12
Use props
fansfbb7c2d2
lvl.1
United States

Hi PolarPro,

Will the new set of cinema filters be able to stay on the gimbal or be removed when changing batteries like the current line?

Also, if you will be so kind as to explain the differences between the upcoming set of cinema filters and the current line of filters offered by PolarPro, it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Damian
2016-12-12
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

fansfbb7c2d2 Posted at 2016-12-12 12:26
Hi PolarPro,

Will the new set of cinema filters be able to stay on the gimbal or be removed when changing batteries like the current line?

Jeff... DITTO!  LOL, it may even be worth its own thread.

I think we are all just curious to know what's around the corner.

Gary
2016-12-12
Use props
DownUnderDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450472 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Agreed. Great app. UI needs a bit of work. Especially the selection box. Drop down box would be easier.
2016-12-12
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fansfbb7c2d2 Posted at 2016-12-12 09:26
Hi PolarPro,

Hi Damian,

Cinema Series info will be up on the site tonight.

The main difference is the level of glass quality, the glass quality on the CS is polished to be optically perfect and is multicoated to reduce lens flaring. Additionally the frame is made out of a lightweight aluminum, and will not need to be removed for start-up.

We will have two 3-packs:
VIVID: ND4/PL, ND8/PL, ND16/PL
or
SHUTTER: ND8, ND16, ND32

and a 6-Pack that contains all of these.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

-Jeff
2016-12-13
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DownUnderDrones Posted at 2016-12-12 20:57
Agreed. Great app. UI needs a bit of work. Especially the selection box. Drop down box would be easier.

Awesome thank you very much for the feedback, that is definitely a change we are making right now.
-Jeff
2016-12-13
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

Hi Jeff,

Just back from trying out my new filters in the field for the first time.  Firstly, the filters obviously make a difference to the final shots, which is great, but I ran into a number of issues.

It's cold here.  I started trying to use the app, but ultimately found that it was fiddly to work with and ultimately felt that I was working for the app, rather than it working for me.  I wound up pulling a chart I'd printed out and more quickly figured out which filter to use.  I think some of that might be addressed by addressing usability comments made in the thread, but I think ultimately a chart will work best for me.

The filters.  I encountered 2 issues here.  Firstly, removing them was a real challenge and I worried about effects on the gimbal that repeatedly having to pry off the filters will have.  Obviously this is an issue PP would have spent some time trying to solve, given the delicacy of the gimbal.  I tried gently pulling and levering them off, I tried using a credit card to pull the edge back.  The entire time I was very worried about the effects on the gimbal.  The tightness of squeeze on gimbal gives me serious pause.  
The other issue was the fact that I have to have the filter removed whenever I relight the Mavic.  I was aware of this, but did a battery change and forgot, so heard the outer rim rubbing the body of the Mavic (and got the gimbal error message on the app), so I removed it.  But given the lack of ease in doing so, it was a concern.\

As someone who's worked in product design, I have real empathy for the considerable constraints the Mavic presents.  Clearly having a thread would help (DJI - please consider this for future product releases!), but I hope you'll be able to come up with solutions to address the problems faced!  
Thanks for listening and for being so present on the forums!
2016-12-14
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GMG Posted at 2016-12-14 01:52
Hi Jeff,

Just back from trying out my new filters in the field for the first time.  Firstly, the filters obviously make a difference to the final shots, which is great, but I ran into a number of issues.

Thank you very much for the feedback on the App, we just programming almost all the changes everyone suggested!

Also, we just launched the new Cinema Series Filters which can stay on at all times:
PolarPro Mavic Cinema Series

(Anyone can upgrade their 3-pack and the 6-pack at a discount. Just email Dan.M@polarprofitlers.com your order number and he will get you dialed in).

Thanks again for the help!
-Jeff
2016-12-14
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

PolarPro Posted at 2016-12-14 17:21
Thank you very much for the feedback on the App, we just programming almost all the changes everyone suggested!

Also, we just launched the new Cinema Series Filters which can stay on at all times:

Argh - would've gone for the cinematic instead of the current 6 pack, if I'd known that I'd have to take original filters off!

Jeff - In the video on the page showing the cinematic filters, the filters appear to pop on and off more easily than the currently available filters.  Do they?
2016-12-14
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GMG Posted at 2016-12-14 12:38
Argh - would've gone for the cinematic instead of the current 6 pack, if I'd known that I'd have to take original filters off!

Jeff - In the video on the page showing the cinematic filters, the filters appear to pop on and off more easily than the currently available filters.  Do they?

We are actually allowing customers to upgrade to the Cinema Series.

In my opinion they are a little bit easier on an off.
They are constructed out of aluminum so they can hold tighter tolerances.

To upgrade your set:
Shoot Dan.m@polarprofilters and email with your order number. He will send you a code, and a return label.
You dont need to return the current filters until you receive the CS filters.

Thanks!
2016-12-14
Use props
GMG
lvl.4
France

PolarPro Posted at 2016-12-14 22:57
We are actually allowing customers to upgrade to the Cinema Series.

In my opinion they are a little bit easier on an off.

Thanks, Jeff.  Much appreciated.
2016-12-14
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

GMG Posted at 2016-12-14 14:46
Thanks, Jeff.  Much appreciated.

You are very welcome, thank you for supporting our brand,

Jeff
2016-12-14
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

I'll be emailing as soon as I locate my order number. Just don't have my laptop handy.  Definitely want a set of CS filters!
2016-12-14
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Gary Mac Posted at 2016-12-14 20:47
I'll be emailing as soon as I locate my order number. Just don't have my laptop handy.  Definitely want a set of CS filters!

Hi Gary, you can just email in, we can pull your order number from your name or address.

Thanks!
2016-12-15
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2016-12-15 08:58
Hi Gary, you can just email in, we can pull your order number from your name or address.

Thanks!

Jeff,

I just emailed Dan.  I'll watch for a payment method (for the difference) and take care of it as soon as I get the email.  Looking forward to getting the Cinema Series filters.

Thanks again for taking care of your customers the way you do.

Regards,

Gary
2016-12-15
Use props
Gary Mac
lvl.4
United States

PolarPro Posted at 2016-12-15 08:58

Thanks!

Jeff,

I just emailed Dan.  I'll watch for a payment method (for the difference) and take care of it as soon as I get the email.  Looking forward to getting the Cinema Series filters.

Thanks again for taking care of your customers the way you do.

Regards,

Gary
2016-12-15
Use props
PolarPro
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hey Guys,
We just launched V2.1 of this app which incorporates pretty much all of your feedback!
Hopefully some of you find this app helpful
-Jeff
2017-1-17
Use props
ivanpoletti mav
lvl.1
Flight distance : 169810 ft
Italy

Great!!! I've just bought your cinema collection 6 pack
2017-6-19
Use props
jimmybbq
lvl.1
United States

Is there a way to buy just one filter? I just need an ND4 and ND32.
2017-6-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules