Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Fly in cold weather - jello effect and wrong altitude
942 7 2016-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
FreezeSun
lvl.2
Flight distance : 742093 ft
United States

I flied my mavic in the morning time for two days. The temperature was around 28 degree. I had made sure the drone was in warm place before its fly. Two things I noticed that
- there was clearly jello effect even it flied straight
- the altitude reported by the drone was much higher than it was actually at

Does anybody have the same observation?
2016-12-8
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

I have flown as low as 8 degrees F and noticed no Jello but did notice the altitude was high in the flight records (over 15,000 ft rather than a bit over 14,000 msl) but I believe that's based on barometric altitude so it could be OK.  I can post the video I did if you like to see for yourself.
2016-12-8
Use props
FreezeSun
lvl.2
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2016-12-8 12:18
I have flown as low as 8 degrees F and noticed no Jello but did notice the altitude was high in the flight records (over 15,000 ft rather than a bit over 14,000 msl) but I believe that's based on barometric altitude so it could be OK.  I can post the video I did if you like to see for yourself.

Thanks for the reply.

The issue I noticed was about the relative altitude to the ground. When it reported 50 meters, I think it was around at 20-30 meters by comparing to the tree around it. When it descended and was just a little over my head, it still reported 6 meters.
2016-12-8
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

could be fogging up or icing of your sensors.....What where the conditions other than 28 degrees?
2016-12-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Hi FreezeSun, thanks for your feedback, we've reported this case and our engineers are working on it now.
Just to clarify, when flying at a suitable temperature, there is no issue with the video recording, right?
2016-12-9
Use props
FreezeSun
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-9 02:20
Hi FreezeSun, thanks for your feedback, we've reported this case and our engineers are working on it now.
Just to clarify, when flying at a suitable temperature, there is no issue with the video recording, right?

need to test it again when temperature goes back and rain stops
2016-12-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

FreezeSun Posted at 2016-12-10 02:50
need to test it again when temperature goes back and rain stops

OK, please keep us posted, thanks.
2016-12-9
Use props
Boomologist
lvl.1

United States

1st post. Love flying and have a lot to learn.
Had my Standard up today and it was -1 on the ground. Only thing I noticed was a shorter battery life and a slightly slower response.
Got some real nice picts of the river yesterday when water was open and 24hrs later it's frozen over.
2016-12-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules