Unintentional emergency shutdown - mav down
3110 17 2016-12-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Easty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 406585 ft
United States

I've 48 flights on the mavic and been touring the US for the last 8 days getting fantastic footage.  I was doing a simple  flight yesterday just looping it around my car manually over some rocks.  Came to bring it in as usual with a hand landing as the ground was sandy and rocks. At about 6-7ft high,  70% battery,  I was rotating it, lowering it and aligning it at the same time.  So I'm wondering if I had both stick in down and to the middle.  It just cut out and went in a line spinning.  I thought emergency cut off was down to the middle then immediately down to the outside with both.

Hope I'll be able to fix the sheared ribbon cable when I get home as I'm sure waiting for one will be an affair of patience.  

I'm still driving for 2000 miles on my trip but I'll try to get the software installed on my laptop and see what happened with the log.

As far as damage it did quite well apart from a broken rotor and a sadly the ribbon broken to the gimbal do its filming on this trip is done.

I did a few hundred flights on the p4 and have had a sports drone a couple of years and never had this issue.  Maybe I was tired and screwed it up.  If it was inadvertently activation of emergency cut of it needs a rethink how one is able to assign it.
2016-12-8
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

You can do instant replay on your device and overlay your stick-inputs. Then you can see if you did cut the motors. Perhaps screenrecord it and post it along.
2016-12-8
Use props
Easty
lvl.2
United States

I'll try that.  It says in the manual it's only possible to stop the motors mid flight if the rc encounters a critical error.  Unless that option is changed in the go app settings. Something I haven't changed.  
2016-12-8
Use props
Str8nUpNFlyRigh
lvl.2
Flight distance : 222867 ft
Germany

Sorry to hear about your crash.

Edit: hadn't seen you previous comment when I wrote this, so forget about the duplicate info....
According to the manual (P52) "the motors can only be stopped mid-flight when the flight controller detects a critical error. (This setting can be changed in the DJI GO 4 app)".
So I don't think that you should be able to shut down unintentionally (unless you changed the setting). That should put you in a better situation, regarding the repairs.

Side note: I don't know where you can change that setting (only just received my Mavic). If you've spotted the place in the menu, I'd be interested where it is, so that I can stay away from it.
I found the documentation on the app a bit lacking, but that's another topic...
2016-12-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Easty, sorry to hear about that, you can also sync your flight records through APP and export the flight data when it happened through Assistant 2.
Then please upload the data to drop box, and provide us the link, our engineers will help you analyze it, then contact you with the details.
2016-12-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Seems as of now there is no emergency cut off in p4 RTH and left stick down to corner will cut off,  both sticks down to corners on mavic is for motor shut down when aircraft is on the ground,  doing this when mavic is in the air will cause to come spinning down fast.
2016-12-9
Use props
Easty
lvl.2
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-9 17:18
Easty, sorry to hear about that, you can also sync your flight records through APP and export the flight data when it happened through Assistant 2.
Then please upload the data to drop box, and provide us the link, our engineers will help you analyze it, then contact you with the details.

Thanks I'm road tripping, but I'll try to get it uploaded soon as possible.  

Looking at the flight recorder,  I did go full down inwards so that is the issue.

Thank everyone for the feedback.   
2016-12-9
Use props
Easty
lvl.2
United States

Str8nUpNFlyRigh Posted at 2016-12-9 14:37
Sorry to hear about your crash.

Edit: hadn't seen you previous comment when I wrote this, so forget about the duplicate info....

You have to be connected to the mavic then go to the drone symbol and then advanced.  it's there.  I went looking for it after I read it in the manual last night and mine was with breakdown. I'd certainly check it a D confirm that the option or a couple of thumbs in or out may mean game over.  I extracted my data and forwarded them on so hopefully figure out if it was just me being foolish.
2016-12-9
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Easty Posted at 2016-12-10 03:09
You have to be connected to the mavic then go to the drone symbol and then advanced.  it's there.  I went looking for it after I read it in the manual last night and mine was with breakdown. I'd certainly check it a D confirm that the option or a couple of thumbs in or out may mean game over.  I extracted my data and forwarded them on so hopefully figure out if it was just me being foolish.

Sorry about your crash, glad you forwarded your flight data on.
What is your email and I can look at your last flight (after you've synced your flight records) to see if I see anything unusual.
You can also see that from the flight records tab and go to the last flight and play it. Also tap the RC icon and it will overlay your stick movements.
2016-12-9
Use props
Easty
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-10 03:30
Sorry about your crash, glad you forwarded your flight data on.
What is your email and I can look at your last flight (after you've synced your flight records) to see if I see anything unusual.
You can also see that from the flight records tab and go to the last flight and play it. Also tap the RC icon and it will overlay your stick movements.

Hi Ken,  it's eastyamg@gmail.com it may not be the last flight as I played with it a little bit.  Only the gimbal ribbon is broken,  it fly without issue.  The flight was 6min long on the 7th Dec.  

I checked the overlay as someone suggested a over and I did go down and in for both controllers so that why it shut down.  I just only thought it would shut down with a critical error.  

Cheers Brian
2016-12-10
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Easty Posted at 2016-12-10 09:07
Hi Ken,  it's eastyamg@gmail.com it may not be the last flight as I played with it a little bit.  Only the gimbal ribbon is broken,  it fly without issue.  The flight was 6min long on the 7th Dec.  

I checked the overlay as someone suggested a over and I did go down and in for both controllers so that why it shut down.  I just only thought it would shut down with a critical error.  

I looked at your flight and do see the CSC command. I'm wondering if the uneven terrain had something to do with it.
Regardless, contact support Monday morning and send it in for repair and email me the ticket number. I will forward your flight record to the flight data analysis team for their review.
2016-12-10
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Easty Posted at 2016-12-10 08:07

Perhaps it had a hidden critical error right as you put in those stick commands.  That stinks big time.  I'm guessing most people select the option for only during a critical error.  

Should we be mindful of the CSC command no matter the option selected in MC settings?  
2017-1-11
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Is there any way to disable the CSC command? I like circling around POIs and wouldnt want to trigger it un intentionally
2017-1-11
Use props
BuzzCut
lvl.4

United States

Man, that's too bad.  Sorry.  It sounds like you're having an amazing trip.
2017-1-12
Use props
FlashGJ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 293379 ft
United States

Are you sure the motors shut down or is it possible that the stick positions just put it in a rapid spin and descent? At only 6-7 ft things would happen fast and our perception could be definitely skewed.
Sorry about the crash, hopefully we can all learn from your incident so it doesn't happen to others. Especially if it was actually a CSC, I too thought it could only be executed  if a critical error occurred (unless we changed the setting).

Keep us updated.
2017-1-12
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 749413 ft
Australia

Very sorry to hear, glad you still have flight.

Seems like you did everything correct, if settings were not changed within the app CSC should not have cut the motors. Following to see the outcome, thanks for posting.  
2017-1-12
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

stratosHD Posted at 2017-1-11 22:33
Is there any way to disable the CSC command? I like circling around POIs and wouldnt want to trigger it un intentionally

No........
2017-1-12
Use props
fans53b8447c
New
Flight distance : 90203 ft
United States

Hi. First time poster here.  Just got the Mavic after having a P3P for a couple years.  I'm curious how DJI resolved your issue with the ribbon cable.  I was actually very impressed that they told you they would help with the repairs.  On to my question...  I'm very worried, as it seems others are, that if I do "down in" or "down out" on both controls, that this will happen to me also.  What is the difference between CSC and emergency stop in the settings of the newest update?  Which one is the better option?  Thanks!
2017-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules