269271 269271 2016-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Justins567
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29462 ft
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-3-30 19:07
For future reference and for others, if you need to find an agent that has already done UAV polices and is recommended by others I put together a community driven list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V71uR6YBoO_rL6iP7TSKAeO0DtPMrbgyrEsL5RF-0w4/edit#gid=1180163488

I had actually used that,  but both of the ones for Colorado are pretty far from me and i was atleast trying to stay local.   Turns out i used one of the names of there anyways!

But thank you for putting the list together!
2017-3-31
Use props
fans3f189acd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 125453 ft
United States

FlyRando Posted at 2017-3-22 13:13
Sweet! In Michigan here I just signed up (after my p3a flyaway) for my new P4P. $60/year, no deductible, only recreational. Liability was covered under homeowners, and I DON'T carry State Farm for anything. Although they wanted to quote the house and cars real bad :-)

I just got State farm In Michigan  for my pro at 60.00 per year. My drone is the only item I have with State Farm. My friend checked into State Farm in Louisiana and they said if you make a claim your home owners insurance will go up even if your not with State Farm. I have to check with my agent I hope this is not true.
2017-4-3
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans3f189acd Posted at 2017-4-3 07:44
I just got State farm In Michigan  for my pro at 60.00 per year. My drone is the only item I have with State Farm. My friend checked into State Farm in Louisiana and they said if you make a claim your home owners insurance will go up even if your not with State Farm. I have to check with my agent I hope this is not true.

Yes it's true.  It's insurance.  Any claim you file for personal property, home owners insurance, or any "fire" insurance (basically anything you got covered but your car), will affect your insurance premiums regardless of the company.  The average increase of homeowners insurance following a claim was 9% nation wide in 2014 (the most recent statistics available).  After 2 claims it's around 20%.  

It's definitely something you want to be aware of.  

2017-4-3
Use props
greenwire
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38281 ft
United States

For future reference and for others, if you need to find an agent that has already done UAV polices and is recommended by others I put together a community driven list here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1V71uR6YBoO_rL6iP7TSKAeO0DtPMrbgyrEsL5RF-0w4/edit#gid=1180163488

Awesome !!
2017-4-3
Use props
fans3f189acd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 125453 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-4-3 07:51
Yes it's true.  It's insurance.  Any claim you file for personal property, home owners insurance, or any "fire" insurance (basically anything you got covered but your car), will affect your insurance premiums regardless of the company.  The average increase of homeowners insurance following a claim was 9% nation wide in 2014 (the most recent statistics available).  After 2 claims it's around 20%.  

That's the only policy I have with Them
2017-4-3
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

fans3f189acd Posted at 2017-4-3 21:08
That's the only policy I have with Them

It's a universal database, it doesn't matter who you buy insurance from.  All claims affect all companies.
2017-4-5
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-4-5 07:52
It's a universal database, it doesn't matter who you buy insurance from.  All claims affect all companies.

I wonder what the likelihood is of State Farm keeping the premiums for those policies so low.
2017-4-5
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-5 08:07
I wonder what the likelihood is of State Farm keeping the premiums for those policies so low.

Other people are stepping into the fray too.  AIG is supposed to be rolling out drone coverage as of last quarter.

Time will tell if the $60 premium is a good thing for insurance companies.  Right now it's based solely off the coverage amount.
2017-4-5
Use props
fansc4302987
New
United States

Mavic 007 Posted at 2016-12-13 10:42
I just called my local state farm agent, and they will NOT cover drones in California.

Confirmed. I called my State Farm Agent and drones are not covered in California. Guess I will have to move.
2017-4-11
Use props
RedTailHawk36
lvl.2
Flight distance : 978553 ft
United States

Good to know Thanks!
2017-4-11
Use props
greenwire
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38281 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-4-3 07:51

This is so messed up....the same rule should apply in case there aren't any claims.Like reduce the insurance cost by 9% following any no claim each year.
2017-4-11
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

I'm insured by SF through a Texas agent (my residence is in TX), but my brother lives in California.  If I ever decide to fly my Mavic in California, it would be covered.  If I allowed my brother to fly in California, and he dumped it into the Pacific, I could still file a claim (its covered no matter where it is damaged/lost).  I'm trying to figure out if a California resident, like my brother, could obtain coverage from a different state agency or through another 3rd party (like a brother in TX) without violating the terms of the policy.

I guess its not my concern since I have coverage, but it did make me wonder......
2017-4-11
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Nice to read about this North America insurance.
But why is this not being posted in the regional part of the forum?

What's next an insurance from Asuransi Jasindo (Indonesia) for your drone or eurosig.al from Albania?
2017-4-11
Use props
method007
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

NoSale Posted at 2017-4-11 13:17
I'm insured by SF through a Texas agent (my residence is in TX), but my brother lives in California.  If I ever decide to fly my Mavic in California, it would be covered.  If I allowed my brother to fly in California, and he dumped it into the Pacific, I could still file a claim (its covered no matter where it is damaged/lost).  I'm trying to figure out if a California resident, like my brother, could obtain coverage from a different state agency or through another 3rd party (like a brother in TX) without violating the terms of the policy.

I guess its not my concern since I have coverage, but it did make me wonder......

You should not have any problems purchasing insurance from another state/agency than ones available in your state.  The only issue would be if the insurance company specifically wanted to avoid doing business in that state.  Many insurance companies expand to multiple states as they grow.  Unfortunately the law is different in every state and it's expensive to be an expert in it, so insurance companies can't always cover every state.  

Just have your brother call up and explain the situation.  They will let you know if they can cover him or not, it doesn't have to be complicated.
2017-4-12
Use props
fans19b053bf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34196 ft
United States

Dont Just Add Your Mavic Drone

State Farm lets you add whatever you want to the same policy such as your GoPros, Fatsharks and other drones like my Vortex Pro too for no additional cost as long as you dont go over the limit, so now almost everything can be covered.

Heres how it works...I just went into State Farm and got a policy for my Mavic, she said the Mavic part was only $1.60 per $100 value in Florida, so thats only $16.00 for the drone part...but the minimum for Florida is $75 (Other states may be different)

So that leaves $59 I was able to add in my $400 Fatsharks ($4 of the $75) and other valuables that I have in the house or stuff I take to the field for no additional cost.
Just no cell phones or laptops allowed.  You can add apple/android watches tho.

If you have already got the drone insurance you can still add stuff to it.

Hope that helps.
2017-4-18
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm in Florida as well and I tried adding my gopro and they denied it. They told my agent that they wouldn't cover Gopro cameras unless they're attached to the drone lol.
2017-4-18
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-4-18 10:23
I'm in Florida as well and I tried adding my gopro and they denied it. They told my agent that they wouldn't cover Gopro cameras unless they're attached to the drone lol.

They told my agent that they wouldn't cover Gopro cameras unless they're attached to the drone lol.

Yeah, that's kind of funny: they won't cover your GoPro if you're just carrying it, but stick it on a Karma with its stellar flight record and you're good to go.
2017-4-18
Use props
fans19b053bf
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34196 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-18 10:27
They told my agent that they wouldn't cover Gopro cameras unless they're attached to the drone lol.

Yeah, that's kind of funny: they won't cover your GoPro if you're just carrying it, but stick it on a Karma with its stellar flight record and you're good to go.

Oh yeah on the GoPro, I submitted that today after she said I can add camera equipment, thing is I use it on my Racers so it will be attached, I will let you know if they deny it.  Other than that point is add a bunch of stuff

What they said is underwater and extreme sports not covered, lets see if they consider my Vortex Pro extreme
2017-4-18
Use props
NoSale
lvl.3
Flight distance : 460958 ft
United States

fans19b053bf Posted at 2017-4-18 08:58
Dont Just Add Your Mavic Drone

State Farm lets you add whatever you want to the same policy such as your GoPros, Fatsharks and other drones like my Vortex Pro too for no additional cost as long as you dont go over the limit, so now almost everything can be covered.

I was aware that I was being charged a required minimum, in my state $60, and that there could be room to include other personal items.  So I continued to question my agent on this.  I finally got the answer that the actual coverage was only about $50 some dollars, so there wasn't really much extra room to add other personal items.
I own a few nice watches and thought this would be the time to add get them covered, but since in my area there wasn't near enough room within the minimum, I didn't pursue.

I'll check again when it comes time to renew.  This is good information.......
2017-4-18
Use props
fans26c62ebe
New

United States

This is extremely helpful! Thank you!!!!
2017-4-20
Use props
Nolla9
New
Flight distance : 169961 ft
United States

Anyone in Pittsburgh PA

$30 / yr - no deductible

Chad Clark, Agent
Chad Clark Insurance Agency, Inc.
State Farm
5614 Brownsville Rd
Pittsburgh, PA 15236
Phone: 412-653-4400
www.insuremechad.com
2017-4-21
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

Nolla9 Posted at 2017-4-21 03:42
Anyone in Pittsburgh PA

$30 / yr - no deductible

Added to the list:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsh ... edit#gid=1180163488
2017-4-21
Use props
Goodfellowstech
New
United States

jamgabbi Posted at 2017-1-4 07:36
Hi Jimmy – so sorry for the late reply but it took a while to find out. YES, State Farm does in fact have drone insurance. The rate is $1.25 per $100 coverage with a $60/year minimum premium. The drone may only be used for personal recreational purposes, not for business use. So basically, unless the drone is worth more than $5,000 then the annual premium would be $60. There is no deductible and it provides for broad coverage like loss of equipment or damage to the drone.

We’d be glad to help you purchase this policy if you wish. Just let us know.

Drone insurance im interested
2017-5-11
Use props
Lifeofmikey
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1147559 ft
United States

wait a minute i saw someone say they crashed it sent it in for repair and state farm sent them a $1000 check.. so u can potentially crash your drone send it back for repair get a new one from dji for say 270 for repair costs then state farm will send u a $1000 check and now u just have an extra $1000 laying around?
and u dont have to show any proof? waaat
2017-5-14
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 303219 ft
United States

I will copy and paste what I put in another thread to save time.

BE ADVISED

Just a heads up to anyone who believes insuring your drone with State Farm or any PAP is a smart idea; be very careful.  WHEN you file a claim on your drone through a PAP, your overall risk rating will increase with insurance companies.  The claim is reported to Lexisnexis and insurance companies will have access to this.  This in turn, can raise your car insurance premiums when shopping around, home insurance, etc.  Sometimes, it just isn't worth to claim insurance on a $999 object, because that's the true cost of the drone with controller.  Insuring something this cheap with the possibility that when you file a claim your overall risk class will increase, is not worth it in my eyes.  Fly smart and fly safe.  Everyone should buy the DJI refresh from the get go for the "just in case" scenarios.  I know it does not cover everything, but it's better then no coverage and much better than your other insurances in life that actually matter, increasing.
2017-5-14
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

Lifeofmikey Posted at 2017-5-14 07:28
wait a minute i saw someone say they crashed it sent it in for repair and state farm sent them a $1000 check.. so u can potentially crash your drone send it back for repair get a new one from dji for say 270 for repair costs then state farm will send u a $1000 check and now u just have an extra $1000 laying around?
and u dont have to show any proof? waaat

Yup. Just like you can make a false claim that you lost it without proof. That's why there are laws against insurance fraud.
2017-5-14
Use props
Skold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239170 ft
United States

fansc4302987 Posted at 2017-4-11 10:15
Confirmed. I called my State Farm Agent and drones are not covered in California. Guess I will have to move.

...as if rampant insane liberalism wasn't enough to make you want to move already!
2017-5-15
Use props
Skold
lvl.2
United States

PM160Mavic Posted at 2017-5-14 07:35

It is debatable whether or not DJI Care is worth it.  I don't think it is.  

Thank you for the information on State Farm or PAP.  I now conclude that no insurance and safe flying is best.  Then again, I am also a mature adult.

Insurance companies and DJI offer coverage for the sole purpose of making money...let that sink in for a little bit folks.
2017-5-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Skold Posted at 2017-5-15 07:01

Thank you for the information on State Farm or PAP.  I now conclude that no insurance and safe flying is best.  Then again, I am also a mature adult.

I now conclude that no insurance and safe flying is best.

Safe flying is always a great idea -- but crashes can still happen, just as they sometimes happen with cars despite a driver's attempts to drive safely.

Then again, I am also a mature adult.

Me too. In fact, I'm more "mature" than I'd really like to be, but I have both Care Refresh and a policy from State Farm.

Insurance companies and DJI offer coverage for the sole purpose of making money...let that sink in for a little bit folks.

Well, pretty much every business sells their product for the sole purpose of making money. Out of curiosity, do you feel this way about insurance in general or is there something different about these drone / personal article policies that makes you think they're not worthwhile?
2017-5-15
Use props
VMav
lvl.2
Flight distance : 76814 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-15 09:35

Safe flying is always a great idea -- but crashes can still happen, just as they sometimes happen with cars despite a driver's attempts to drive safely.

I think what he meant that there are no "free lunch" with insurance.  Getting 1000 dollars in claim by paying only 60 in premium - seems to be like a good deal...  Question (rhetorical), were insurance company is getting those 1000?  In fact insurance should collect $1300 in premium in order to write down that $1000 claim...

Or you can "insure" yourself by setting aside that 1000  bucks and it would be no premium and no rates bump up next year on your home/auto and other polices.

I think that what he was trying to say.  Would you claim $500 - $1000 wind damage on your home insurance?  Why people tend to select as high deductibles on polices as they can handle?

You think by the "big numbers law" you can get a free ride?  And others would foot the insurance rate hikes for you?  Well, might be you the smart one.

2017-5-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

VMav Posted at 2017-5-15 10:27
I think what he meant that there are no "free lunch" with insurance.  Getting 1000 dollars in claim by paying only 60 in premium - seems to be like a good deal...  Question (rhetorical), were insurance company is getting those 1000?  In fact insurance should collect $1300 in premium in order to write down that $1000 claim...

Or you can "insure" yourself by setting aside that 1000  bucks and it would be no premium and no rates bump up next year on your home/auto and other polices.

Thanks for that newsflash but I never said anything about a "free lunch" or a "free ride". I paid for my State Farm policy and Care Refresh hoping to use neither and fully aware that I might not. And yes, I'm aware that a claim can cause other premiums to rise; I've often been the one pointing this out to other people and in fact did just that at least once earlier in this very thread.

Well, might you be the smart one.

Oh, I'm sure you're much smarter than all of us who've bought Care Refresh and / or State Farm policies. After all, we're all just a bunch of dummies who thought we were getting a free lunch, but fortunately there are folks like you around to educate us.

And as far as what the person I replied to meant, he's also opposed to Care Refresh and since you're the "smart one" and think you know his thoughts on this perhaps you can explain why that one's also such a bad idea.
2017-5-15
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1217520 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow i just completed my State Farm policy for all 3 of my drones mavic the Inspire 2 with x5s and Phantom 4 pro. Total cost per yeas $225 they also covered four extra lens for my x5s and 10 batteries included. I purchased care refresh with each of my aircraft and the total cost of my State Farm Insurance was actually less than Care refresh for my IS2 with out gimble or any accessories. I'll fly with a lot more confidence now, no more shaky Palm
2017-5-15
Use props
Skold
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-15 09:35

Yep, I feel that way about insurance in general.
2017-5-15
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Edits of my previous post my agent just contacted me turns out there was an error in pricing total cost $132 total they also insured the x5s and it's accessories separately as a camera. Price is included in the above total.
2017-5-15
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
United States

Skold Posted at 2017-5-15 07:01

The only reason I would get insurance on a drone is not for the drone itself, but for liability.  God forbid this thing falls out of the sky and causes an accident or hits someone in the head; you will be screwed.  I work intelligence and let me tell you, they are easily traceable when legal documents are presented by law enforcement etc. to find the owner.  I would advise anyone that flies to cover yourself from a liability stand point.  Especially those that are daredevils and disobey laws with regards to line of sight and flying in restricted areas.
2017-5-15
Use props
Michael Kaine
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

PM160Mavic Posted at 2017-5-14 07:35

Something to consider.
But I have a total of over $15,000 in equipment. My IS2 X5S with CinneDNG & prores 2x controlers 3x SSD.
for instance Say someone broke into my automobile and steals the lot, would Care Refresh cover this?
Say decide to go flying over the Long Island Sound, like i do often and my Inspire decides to take a dive and I'm unable to recover it would Care Refresh cover that?
I can give you a dozen other scenarios that cure fresh would not cover, but you do have a point & that's why I have them both.
As for liability insurance i usually only fly over forest, rivers or ocean but i should be receiving a quote on that by Friday,
I'll let you guys know how that goes.
2017-5-15
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

PM160Mavic Posted at 2017-5-15 13:21
The only reason I would get insurance on a drone is not for the drone itself, but for liability.  God forbid this thing falls out of the sky and causes an accident or hits someone in the head; you will be screwed.  I work intelligence and let me tell you, they are easily traceable when legal documents are presented by law enforcement etc. to find the owner.  I would advise anyone that flies to cover yourself from a liability stand point.  Especially those that are daredevils and disobey laws with regards to line of sight and flying in restricted areas.

The only reason I would get insurance on a drone is not for the drone itself, but for liability.

Most homeowner insurance policies in the United States include liability coverage that would extend to drone usage as long as it isn't for commercial purposes. And as for buying a PAP drone policy, it's really not much different from insuring guns, jewelry, or anything else of value.
2017-5-15
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
United States

Michael Kaine Posted at 2017-5-15 13:30
Something to consider.
But I have a total of over $15,000 in equipment. My IS2 X5S with CinneDNG & prores 2x controlers 3x SSD.
for instance Say someone broke into my automobile and steals the lot, would Care Refresh cover this?

Well certainly you NEED to have insurance on all your equipment.  You are different case than just someone insuring a $999 drone.  Unfortunately the Refresh does not cover lost drones which is a little disappointing but imagine how many people would just claim it was lost lol.  

I would certainly insure all my equipment and not just one drone under a PAP policy as you have.  Makes more sense.
2017-5-15
Use props
PM160Mavic
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-15 13:56
The only reason I would get insurance on a drone is not for the drone itself, but for liability.

Most homeowner insurance policies in the United States include liability coverage that would extend to drone usage as long as it isn't for commercial purposes. And as for buying a PAP drone policy, it's really not much different from insuring guns, jewelry, or anything else of value.

Good point.  I guess it's not for everyone (standalone PAP policy) but it is for people that don't own a home or can get coverage under an umbrella policy per say.
2017-5-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I got a quotation on January  for $170 that covers my Inspire 1, Mavic Pro and the Phantom 4 Pro

not bad idea to have this on all of them
Rich
2017-5-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules