Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic ignoring Return to Home Altitude
8804 64 2016-12-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

EastyT Posted at 2017-2-24 20:07
Thanks for the instructions for creating the sharing link.  Here it is:
http://healthydrones.com/main?share=DkTlIb

Those logs don't show your Mavic moving backwards, only getting nearer the home point.
2017-2-25
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-25 06:19
Can you change the share settings so that we can zoom the map? It's hard to see the various data points without zooming in. Also, a screen recording of the flight playback in the GO app might be useful, too.

Here is a link to the flight on Healthydrones with the map functions enabled.

http://healthydrones.com/main?share=iTuFlu
2017-2-25
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

I am trying to link to a JPG of a Google Earth view of the flight clearly showing this behavior.  Let's give these a try:

?dl=0

2017-2-25
Use props
fans782b4689
New

United States

I've been a P4 pilot for the better part of a year, but my second trip out with my Mavic today has got me kind of shook.  

I was excited about trying to capture some video footage of my Mavic with my P4.  It was a breezy day (gusts to 20 MPH) and I set the Mavic hovering in front of me 65' out at an altitude of 22' over an open field.  I put the Mavic controller down and tried to operate the P4 so that I could capture some decent frontal hovering footage.  Not long after that, the Mavic lost it's connection and started to climb (which I interpreted as RTH doing what it was supposed to do).  I hovered the P4 out of the immediate area and was able to reestablish a connection with the Mavic at an altitude of ~125'.  Thinking this was fluke behavior (or demonstrating classic insanity), I attempted the same shot and lost my connection with the Mavic again.  Same behavior in that the Mavic began to climb, only this time I had a much harder time reestablishing my connection between the controller and the drone.  I finally was able to land the P4, power it and it's controller down before I chose to restart the Mavic controller in an act of desperation to restablish control of the Mavic.  When the connection was reestablished, I was at 638' off the ground, well in excess of the 120m max height established and the 400' max altitude ceiling that had functioned the day before.  I don't know how much higher this thing would have climbed if I wasn't able to make the connection and I'm shook as to why RTH wasn't functioning properly on loss of signal (when it was 65' away from me).  

With the P4 on the ground and powered off, I proceeded to fly the Mavic around the open field without any additional anomalies but never venturing more than ~100yds away as I was still pretty puckered up from my moon shot attempt.

My main concern seems to be  very much related to the initial issue contained in this thread and was not resolved by the the most recent firmware update.  I was under the impression that the P4 and the Mavic use a different RC system, so I'm skeptical to accept interference as a contributing factor.  I am VERY concerned about the RTH failure in this instance.   I'm new to this forum (as I've had nothing but great experiences with the P4 to date), but I'd be happy to share any flight data with some guidance on how to retrieve/share  Some of the flight data below that might be pertinent is shared below:  

Stick Mode: 2
Max Altitude: 120M
Return to Home Altitude: 75M
Loss of Signal: Return to Home
Version: 01.03.0400
Last successful IMU Calibration: 2/23/2017
2017-2-25
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

EastyT Posted at 2017-2-25 12:46
I am trying to link to a JPG of a Google Earth view of the flight clearly showing this behavior.  Let's give these a try:

I can’t see anything here aside from broken links, but I now see our flight path in Healthy Drones more clearly. It definitely seems to show your Mavic moving backwards a few times, and no warnings or notifications that seem to explain that behavior.

What about posting a screen recording of the flight from DJI Go? This will allow us to replay the flight as it happened. If you’re not sure how to do it, here’s a handy guide, and I added a couple more suggestions towards the end of the thread:

Guide: how to report a flight problem.
2017-2-27
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

fans782b4689 Posted at 2017-2-25 16:50
I've been a P4 pilot for the better part of a year, but my second trip out with my Mavic today has got me kind of shook.  

I was excited about trying to capture some video footage of my Mavic with my P4.  It was a breezy day (gusts to 20 MPH) and I set the Mavic hovering in front of me 65' out at an altitude of 22' over an open field.  I put the Mavic controller down and tried to operate the P4 so that I could capture some decent frontal hovering footage.  Not long after that, the Mavic lost it's connection and started to climb (which I interpreted as RTH doing what it was supposed to do).  I hovered the P4 out of the immediate area and was able to reestablish a connection with the Mavic at an altitude of ~125'.  Thinking this was fluke behavior (or demonstrating classic insanity), I attempted the same shot and lost my connection with the Mavic again.  Same behavior in that the Mavic began to climb, only this time I had a much harder time reestablishing my connection between the controller and the drone.  I finally was able to land the P4, power it and it's controller down before I chose to restart the Mavic controller in an act of desperation to restablish control of the Mavic.  When the connection was reestablished, I was at 638' off the ground, well in excess of the 120m max height established and the 400' max altitude ceiling that had functioned the day before.  I don't know how much higher this thing would have climbed if I wasn't able to make the connection and I'm shook as to why RTH wasn't functioning properly on loss of signal (when it was 65' away from me).  

Leaving aside the issue of the disconnections... Have you ruled out the possibility that the climb in RTH could have been caused by the Mavic facing the sun low in the sky?
2017-2-27
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Don't know the specifics of the RCs,  but could there be radio interference from the P4 RC causing the loss of connection to the Mavic?  (A question for the moderators.)
2017-2-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-2-27 11:00
Don't know the specifics of the RCs,  but could there be radio interference from the P4 RC causing the loss of connection to the Mavic?  (A question for the moderators.)

They're may have been interference, can't say for sure.
2017-2-27
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-27 00:57
I can’t see anything here aside from broken links, but I now see our flight path in Healthy Drones more clearly. It definitely seems to show your Mavic moving backwards a few times, and no warnings or notifications that seem to explain that behavior.

What about posting a screen recording of the flight from DJI Go? This will allow us to replay the flight as it happened. If you’re not sure how to do it, here’s a handy guide, and I added a couple more suggestions towards the end of the thread:

For me, if I click the broken link, it brings up buttons that you can click to see the picture.  I am obviously having a hard time understanding how to post pictures to this forum.  These are just dropbox links.  As for the screen recording and the link you posted, it is for IOS and I am on android.  I really appreciate your help and sincerely thank you for trying to help me.  At this point I'm chalking this up to more trouble than it's worth at this point and I'm assuming this is due to flying into the sun.  I'll be more cognizant of this in the future.Thanks Again!
2017-2-27
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

I am fineally able to upload this picture using the advanced/Picture button.  I hope you can expand this. As an aside, there were not vision sensor errors or messages.

Flight Profile RTH

Flight Profile RTH

2017-2-28
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-2-28 08:01
I am fineally able to upload this picture using the advanced/Picture button.  I hope you can expand this. As an aside, there were not vision sensor errors or messages.
[view_image]

Referencing the above picture.  I flew the Mavic to point 6 just under 400' then on to point 7.  Point 8 is where I initiated RTH.  It stair stepped it's way up to 456' to point 11 where I cancelled RTH.  I flew the craft down to point 12 at about 380' and initiated RTH again.  Same behavior and it stepped it's way to point 14 where I once again cancelled RTH and was able to fly the craft down manually.
2017-2-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

EastyT Posted at 2017-2-28 08:06
Referencing the above picture.  I flew the Mavic to point 6 just under 400' then on to point 7.  Point 8 is where I initiated RTH.  It stair stepped it's way up to 456' to point 11 where I cancelled RTH.  I flew the craft down to point 12 at about 380' and initiated RTH again.  Same behavior and it stepped it's way to point 14 where I once again cancelled RTH and was able to fly the craft down manually.

That screenshot definitely supports what you were saying about the back-and-forth movements during RTH. I still think a flight playback from the GO app would be useful, just to 100% confirm that you were not giving any command inputs at the time. Here's a direct link to my post at the end of the thread where I gave recommendations for Android, but basically just install AZ Screen Recorder and follow the rest of the original instructions for playing back the flight: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... mp;page=1#pid710773

BTW, I'm not saying I don't believe you, it's just better when you can provide as much data as you can. I actually do think your Mavic's behavior was quite unusual, and I would be keen to hear an explanation from DJI as to what exactly happened here.
2017-2-28
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-28 08:18
That screenshot definitely supports what you were saying about the back-and-forth movements during RTH. I still think a flight playback from the GO app would be useful, just to 100% confirm that you were not giving any command inputs at the time. Here's a direct link to my post at the end of the thread where I gave recommendations for Android, but basically just install AZ Screen Recorder and follow the rest of the original instructions for playing back the flight: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=82897&page=1#pid710773

BTW, I'm not saying I don't believe you, it's just better when you can provide as much data as you can. I actually do think your Mavic's behavior was quite unusual, and I would be keen to hear an explanation from DJI as to what exactly happened here.

Wow, I was going to record the flight, but there are no flight records.  I read another thread and it said to delete the flight records because the altitude indications were incorrect.  They were synced with DJI but I have no local record except for healthydrones.
2017-2-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

EastyT Posted at 2017-2-28 11:10
Wow, I was going to record the flight, but there are no flight records.  I read another thread and it said to delete the flight records because the altitude indications were incorrect.  They were synced with DJI but I have no local record except for healthydrones.

If they were synced with DJI then you should be able to re-sync them back to your device. (I think)
2017-2-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-27 11:28
They're may have been interference, can't say for sure.

Ken, have you had a look at EastyT's incident? I think this might be the 2nd time I've read about a Mavic doing a repeated sort of "pause, back-up, climb, move forward" kind of maneuver during RTH. I'm pretty sure it's not ever supposed to reverse on its own except in ActiveTrack when the option is enabled. Right? Are you aware of  anything in the new firmware that might explain this behavior?
2017-2-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-2-28 11:10

PM your DJI account email and I'll see if I can see anything.
2017-2-28
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-2-28 11:42
Ken, have you had a look at EastyT's incident? I think this might be the 2nd time I've read about a Mavic doing a repeated sort of "pause, back-up, climb, move forward" kind of maneuver during RTH. I'm pretty sure it's not ever supposed to reverse on its own except in ActiveTrack when the option is enabled. Right? Are you aware of  anything in the new firmware that might explain this behavior?

If the aircraft was facing direct sun that could happen. Analyzing the flight records DAT file through the flight data analysis team would be the only way to fully see what happened.
2017-2-28
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-28 12:21
If the aircraft was facing direct sun that could happen. Analyzing the flight records DAT file through the flight data analysis team would be the only way to fully see what happened.

I have PM'd you with my email.  This has not happened since 2/22.  There were no error messages and I was successfully able to regain control of the aircraft twice.  It would really be nice to know what to avoid.  If it's the sun, something should be done.  If I had to rely on RTH, I don't know how this would have ended.  Luckily I was flying high but not too far off horizontally.  I appreciate you looking into this.  Toby
2017-2-28
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-2-28 12:21

Is this new behavior, though? I wasn't aware that the Mavic would intentionally fly backwards when detecting an obstacle in front. Every time I've tested OA, the Mavic would just stop and hover. It never moved backwards. I've never actually witnessed my Mavic perform OA during RTH, but based on all the reports I've heard before, it would just stop and then climb, but never move backwards. The description for Smart RTH doesn't mention it, either. It just talks about ascending.
2017-2-28
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

I have successfully recorded the flight
https://www.dropbox.com/s/40d8gq13luncwpr/2017_03_01_11_36_22.mp4?dl=0

I think this shows pretty much what I was talking about.  Let me know
2017-3-1
Use props
fansce453f00
lvl.1
Flight distance : 205213 ft
United States

I had the same issue today, is there a fix yet for it? I was returning home, but kept going and going till max altitude was reached. Didn't get any obstacle avoidance warnings.
2017-5-7
Use props
alexporraz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 205213 ft
United States

fansce453f00 Posted at 2017-5-7 15:32
I had the same issue today, is there a fix yet for it? I was returning home, but kept going and going till max altitude was reached. Didn't get any obstacle avoidance warnings.

I'm thinking that it does it due to the sun, but I didn't get any warnings it's maybe due to the smart return home. It went backwards then started climbing.
2017-5-10
Use props
fansc5f50717
New

Same Thing happened to me, I have the mavic Platinum and the return to home is set to 380 feet and when I press the RTH it start going up up to 700 feet and then it lands, I don’t know why this mavic is ignoring the preset altitude. Please help
2018-4-22
Use props
fansc5f50717
New

Please dji experts, we need help on this ingnoring set altitude on Mavic Pro Platinum, is not working as it should, I set any altitude on the phone app and then when you click the return to home it works but is ignoring whatever altitude you set. Please help
2018-4-22
Use props
Pigstream
New

United Kingdom

I came across this post while looking for the answer to my Phantom 4 no longer performing a safe RTH with the DJI go4 app. It ascends to the set max altitude of 50 metres not the RTH set altitude of 35 metres and remains hovering until RTH is switched off. It has done this consistently for the last 15 flights sometimes in low sunlight but also in cloudy conditions, calibrating the compass and IMU has not resolved it. I am concerned that if the RTH function is needed in an emergency if I lose contact with the drone I will be waving farewell to an expensive piece of kit.
2019-10-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules