Drone Flyaway
3188 23 2015-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

Iknow that this really is a question but has to do with the most disturbingissue with the Phantom 2 in the warnings section “FLYAWAY".
Does anyone realizethat it seems like more flyaway happens when in NAZA Mode (from what I amhearing)? Everyone is always saying they are flipping the fail switch but thatis only doable in NAZA mode (other than switching the remote off of course). Iam wondering if flying in phantom mode may reduce the chance of a flyaway, becauseagain it seems most people are in NAZA mode when they occur. Thoughts?
How many people havehad a flyaway in phantom mode? Also if I encounter one and no controls areworking I might try to just kill the motors, by putting the sticks in the lowercorners. A dropping drone out of the sky is better than none? If that workswhen I don’t have control.
Thanks

2015-2-11
Use props
johnwarr.live
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

"Also if I encounter one and no controls areworking I might try to just kill the motors, by putting the sticks in the lowercorners. A dropping drone out of the sky is better than none? If that workswhen I don’t have control."

But if you have no control then why would the CSC work ?

2015-2-11
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

johnwarr.live Posted at 2015-2-12 05:09
"Also if I encounter one and no controls areworking I might try to just kill the motors, by putting  ...

I dunno, maybe it would be the one thing that worked, basically saying I would give it  a try. I don't hear many people saying they tried this when the flyaway took place. Just open discussion food for thought.
2015-2-11
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I would not expect you to be able to kill the motors if you have no control.  I don't think being in NAZA or Phantom mode specify has anything to do with it. I have read reports of fly-aways in both modes.

I believe the Phantom suffers either a hardware or software glitch that causes or prevents it from responding to input control or the flight algorithm can't over come the failure such as  a motor or esc failure.
2015-2-11
Use props
teedo757
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1870 ft
United States

I lost mine in phantom mode (found it a week later and switched it to NAZA mode). I had it try to run away again at a low speed and altitude but quickly flipped it into atti mode and regained control. I think you have more options in NAZA mode if your phantom doesn't respond.
2015-2-11
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I wonder if anyone has determined the cause of a fly away.
2015-2-11
Use props
scom20.gmail
lvl.1

United States

Here is an interesting video I found about flyaway's that could explain a lot.

2015-2-11
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

scom20.gmail Posted at 2015-2-12 06:25
Here is an interesting video I found about flyaway's that could explain a lot.

https://www.youtube. ...

Let's assume this were true, my home point was set (but was off 10 miles), my OSD would then indicate my distance from home is 10 miles! Wouldn't you get suspicious and immediately suspend flying?

I've never heard of this from any flyaway issue, ever. Besides, many flyaways also decent in an angle until eventually crash. Is the "wrong" homepint then not only a lot further away but also underground? What about the flyaways where the quad just goes nuts and flies up, down, left, right? This "problem" seen in the vid might perhaps be responsible for a tiny, tiny, tiny percentage of flyaways?

I use sat nav in my car, use GPS on the phone etc. I've never ever seen a deviation of more than a couple of meters.

A wild theory but likely untrue. What do you guys think?

2015-2-11
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

Fantastic video. Everything he said makes perfect sense. Wobbling and tumbling is one thing but heading off in stable flight is another thing. I had planned to start with a low radius but not after seeing this
2015-2-11
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

didnt watch the video yet but i always 'test' my homepoint after takeoff.  i take off, move 100ft or so away, s1bottom, watch where it goes... and when it gets there and starts to land, i then do s1top again and go about my business.  is something suggesting that AFTER that process my position could be switched to somewhere far away or only before which means my method would mitigate this issue since i would know as a part of my process, hey wtf is it going that way for and land and analyze again.  ?
2015-2-11
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

I wonder if anyone has had a fly away then gone home and found it sitting in the front yard or maybe even on the roof?
2015-2-11
Use props
trailtec.dodo
lvl.2

Australia

Well I had an incident a few days back where following a flight here at home I went down the showgrounds (some 25k as the crow flies)  the next day and upon getting airborne recieved a warning on the OSD that the bird had insufficient battery power to return to home.

The only thing that could have happened is that the home point had not reset for some reason and "home" was still indeed home. Everything including the phone had been switched off (I use a spare phone not my usual one) but it still considered the home point to be over the hills and far away. Had I not noticed the warning flash up and something gone wrong I would been witness to my bird flying off into oblivion.
2015-2-11
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

While it wasn't a fly away there is a video on YouTube that shows a guy that lost his drone. He went looking for it on foot in the last direction he had seen it go but could not find it. He had lost the video connection and he thought he was flying in one direction but was actually flying it in another. After a while he called his wife to come pick-up his stuff from where he took off. When she got there she called him and told him his drone was there. In this case this could have been prevented if he had NAZA mode enable and used Home Lock or Fail Safe. One of the nice things about Home Lock vs Fail Safe or switching the controller off is you can bring it home (back into sight) faster than it will come home in Fail Safe.
2015-2-11
Use props
SFC Gator
New

United States

2 weeks ago I went to fly in a park near my home. Went thru a couple of batteries and then cam home. Went in my yard to expend my last two batteries and my quad took off on me leaving me with no idea where it went. Got a call 20 minutes later from a friend that said he found a drone in the park. Yep, it was mine.
2015-2-11
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

this is exactly why my preflight homepoint TEST (which takes all of 60 secs tops) is something i do every time i launch.  the only way this would happen to me is if the software (with the auto homepoint iphone follow location thing disabled) could somehow move my homepoint midflight.  if that is possible, then everyone is at risk.  if that isnt possible, then my preflight test pretty much assures avoidance of this.

and by preflight i mean before any 'real flying' not before i take off obviously.

on another note, friffy, there is a time where you would put quotes around something when you ARENT QUOTING SOMEONE.  the other time you use quotes is when you want to imply that you are using a word when in fact it only 'sort of' means or isnt literally a perfect comparison.  many people refer to this as 'air quotes' (oh, there i did it again).  so when he said 'law' i think he meant it in that way dunno ... sorry for the thread derail subcomment but i just thought of it here and couldnt find the other thread...
2015-2-11
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

There is still one thing that bothers me. Ground station has a blue circle with a H in the center. Everyone seems to say this is the Phantoms home point but the manual identifies it as "My Location" without clarifying if that is the RTH point or if that is where I am standing.
2015-2-11
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

SFC Gator Posted at 2015-2-12 08:43
2 weeks ago I went to fly in a park near my home. Went thru a couple of batteries and then cam home. ...

That makes me think that the guy was right about the RTH point not being stored correctly and the Phantom was outside the defined max radius. I just connected my Phantom and the max radius that be set is 10,000 miles.
2015-2-11
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-12 10:37
That makes me think that the guy was right about the RTH point not being stored correctly and the  ...

In reading all the documentation about ground station I believe the answer is:

The Home point is the RTH point that is either set at sat lock time or the position that was set if you do a update home point via the s2 toggle.

If you select the Dynamic Home Point

The Vision App does a system call to the Phones GPS coordinates and continually sends that to the Phantom to reset the home position.

As the accuracy or the number of sats displayed for the Cell Phones does not exist its a risk you take.

Cheers

2015-2-12
Use props
jonathan.statt
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I use the Naza-M IOC method. Launch as normal, move it 100 feet forwards and have the drone facing in any direction you like. Then flick switch 2 down to the bottom and press back on the right stick. If it comes towards me I know the home position is okay.
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jonathan.statt Posted at 2015-2-12 19:06
I use the Naza-M IOC method. Launch as normal, move it 100 feet forwards so the drones "behind" is s ...

In NAZA mode with S2 switch in Home Lock position, (bottom) if you are 100 feet away, pull the right stick down to you and it will return to home and it won't matter what direction the Phantom is looking. It will continue to come toward home until it gets to 10 meters away from home, then it will automatically switch to course lock.  If you push the stick forward, it will fly straight away from home point.
2015-2-12
Use props
jonathan.statt
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Gerry1124 Posted at 2015-2-12 19:25
In NAZA mode with S2 switch in Home Lock position, (bottom) if you are 100 feet away, pull the rig ...

Oops...made a stupid typo in my post and put forwards instead of backwards. I edited it now! But yes, it doesn't matter which way it is facing...it should come towards you was the point I was very badly making! This is why I think the Naza mode should be standard out of the box.
2015-2-12
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

jonathan.statt Posted at 2015-2-12 19:30
Oops...made a stupid typo in my post and put forwards instead of backwards. I edited it now! But y ...

I realize it was just a typo, but some newbie might have seen that, not realizing it was incorrect and have it take off In the wild blue yonder.  
Happy Flying!

BTW, that's how I test mine also.
2015-2-12
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

An interesting experiment would be to set a home point and have a 500 foot max radius set. Move the Phantom at 1,000 feet still powered on with dynamic home point off and then take off and see what happens.
2015-2-12
Use props
markus2015
lvl.4

Germany

Capt. Bill Posted at 2015-2-13 07:10
An interesting experiment would be to set a home point and have a 500 foot max radius set. Move the  ...

Agree, great experiment, who's gonna volunteer and report back???
2015-2-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules