Stability of DJI Go 4.0 app on Android
11596 113 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

Tried several of my old phones (which I always keep) from the official DJI-list. Reset them to factory settings and installed ONLY DJI GO 4.

Result: crash after crash

Reset again, installed DJI GO 3:

Result: only rare crashes (1 of 20 flights, esp. Sport mode and/or continous video-recording when flying "erratic" action-maneuvers in high wind situations = smartie CPU-overload with too many warnings + stick-input-processing + video-caching at 720 res.)

The device I now use with least possible crashes is: SONY XPERIA Z ULTRA (which even is not on the DJI-list)

Conclusions: DJI GO 4 is crap, even on "official" DJI-compatible phones (at least for European editions). Sloppy programming. DJI GO 3 works fine, but misses setting for DJI propeller-cage (anyway, I ordered it 2 weeks ago and maybe it will arrive in one year ................)

Just waiting for CrystalSky and hope this will solve the problem (or not, since when I will order it once available but it will be delivered maybe on year after ) ............
2017-3-2
Use props
flyingasd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31089 ft
Italy

DJI 3.0 app works well, but now isn't compatible with mavic

so i move myself to Litchi, with a Nexus 5X is the only solution for now.
2017-3-2
Use props
Angelo26
lvl.4
Flight distance : 799718 ft
Austria

flyingasd Posted at 2017-3-2 00:45
DJI 3.0 app works well, but now isn't compatible with mavic

so i move myself to Litchi, with a Nexus 5X is the only solution for now.

Why should it be not compatible with Mavic ? I just flew my Mavic with DJI GO 3 yesterday .................
2017-3-2
Use props
flyingasd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31089 ft
Italy

in 3.1.3 DJI discontinued the support for Mavic. You must use version 4.
2017-3-2
Use props
Gulfstream
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98996 ft
  • >>>
United States

GO 4 works perfectly on my OnePlusOne
2017-3-8
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5858166 ft
United States

I may have found something. Take a look when you are flying and how far the distance from controller location is on the bottom right mine said like 60,000 feet away from the controller  home point ( you might want to use the map to double check but it will be a blue circle on the map if you zoom out ) and I was unable to update the controller home point from the app. I removed the GPS permissions under the gps settings on the phone and re allowed and the app didn't crash the rest of the flight the best I could do before was 4-5 min before it would crash and I was able to get 15 min after doing this no crash ....
2017-3-8
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
United States

just an update my theory was wrong it crashed again this morning i had device " controller " lock blue dot at the point from where I took off flew fine and started buffering and crashed came back up on its own and the mavic position was correct but the device "controller " position was over a mile off and never changed stayed red .. Droid Turbo 2 on Android 7.0 going to use another phone with older version of Android to confirm its a combination of Android 7. whatever and the new DJI 4 app update
2017-3-9
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Just wanted to add my voice to this thread.  I got my Mavic about 3 weeks ago and have been using my S7 edge.  The app crashed maybe once in the first week and never in the second week.  I went out yesterday and the video feed (with no error displayed) started pixelating and lagging and just messing up.   The app would crash and the phone would return to the home screen.  Luckily the Mavic was still controllable.  I restarted the app and the video was still screwed up and then crash.  The app crashed 3 times on the first battery.  I swapped batteries, shut down the controller and restarted the phone (wifi off, screen rotation off).  The second battery produced 3 more crashes with the first happening when I was standing 4ft. from the Mavic.    I haven't tried plugging the phone into the bottom USB yet, but I might later.  I also have an old Galaxy S5 that has no cell service that I might give a try.  I am getting very frustrated by the fact that I don't see any DJI reps responding to this thread.  Some word from them would be better than wasting time trying to cobble together a fix.
2017-3-9
Use props
FlyRando
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2387533 ft
United States

Got to fly Sunday and today AFTER deleting the 3 suspected apps on my S5 and NO CRASHING of the go 4 app!!!!!! After several flights I'm 100% convinced one of these 3 apps conflicted with the go 4 app even though they were not running.(a coder told me the apps still have threads running in the background)
2 of the apps were gaming and one was an electric meter monitoring app for the house. I just did the firmware upgrade after flying today so we will see on the next flight if all is still good.
Like EasyT said I can't wait to get a new phone and dedicate this S5 solely to this drone. Only by experience do I believe the Go 4 app is not compatible with all other apps installed elsewhere on your device.
My $0.02 anyway...
2017-3-9
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
United States

I just downloaded the DJI go app from Google play and it works just fine actually better since it doesn't crash. yeah they have a pop-up to show that the Mavic isn't supported that could mean if any new advancements come out they may or may not be on the regular DJI go app XP computers aren't supported either but they still work
2017-3-10
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

DJIGO3 works great for me
2017-3-10
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

Phone = Oneplus 3 (Android 7)

Just encountered another new problem with the Go4 app, not happened before and very annoying.

I was flying and as always just as the Mavic is out of sight the app crashed, but then restarted itself in simulator mode with no way out of it, managed to bring the Mavic into view by climbing and bringing it back to me.

This is just unacceptable.
2017-3-11
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
United States

I'm thinking it's Android 7 and later that are causing issues

I've downgraded firmware
I've installed DJI go 3  still crashes
Uninstall DJI go 4 twice and sub folders on phone still crashes
Even factory reset my phone in a last attempt still crashes
Tired just about every developer option with in reason still crashes

I notice you lose all flight data from the flight that when the app crashes and picks up where you open it back up
I've flown over 50 consecutive flights THE APP ALWSYS CRASHES AFTER 4 TO 5 MIN OF FLIGHT EVERY TIME

Before the last update it never cashed one not once in over 200 flights

I went back flights March 2nd and before no issues long fights full data
All the flights after are 4-6 min incomplete dataNot to mention GPS of the controller is not even close and can't be updated one time it was over 20 miles away the map said

This is a complete joke if anything let us revert the app back to the previous version
2017-3-11
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

Using Samsung S7 with no problems at all and DJIGO4. I Think some people have to much Junk installed on their Phone . Regardless if you shut Apps down you still dont know what is going on in the back ground
2017-3-11
Use props
Deepfreeze
lvl.4
Canada

My Nexus 6P crashes constantly, and I need to clear the cache and app data just to get it to re-open.
Switched to a galaxy Tab A just for flying and it is much more stable, just a lttle jeky in the video transmission.
2017-3-12
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

On a 15 min flight today, the DJI Go App 4 crashed twice. App completely shuts down and it returns you to phone's desktop. You can re-open it and it's working fine, video still recording.
While not a "major" problem when you can see your drone, if it happens to crash while you're behind a tree or something, better be quick to restart the App and hope battery is not low.
DJI Go (not 4) used to work perfectly with my P4, with the same phone: Galaxy S7 Edge.
I got an S6 Edge and Note 3 that I could try with, but these don't have mobile data enabled.

Hard to tell if the issue is related to the Android 7 Nougat update, the App itself, or a combination of both. No apps are running in the background. Phone has plenty of space left.

Litchi App didn't crash when I used it, although I flew with it just for only 5 min or so.
2017-3-12
Use props
Silverado101980
lvl.2
United States

My phone just auto updated DJI GO 4 to 4.0.5 on Android not sure if that's good news or bad using Droid Turbo 2 with Nougat 7.0
2017-3-14
Use props
FlyRando
lvl.1
United States

So much for that, I got a lightly used S6 from my dad. Wiped literally everything off the phone and now dedicated solely to the P4P. One flight crashed app, the next flight it worked perfectly.

Still looking for a consistency that triggers the crash.
Ugh....
2017-3-20
Use props
mareks
lvl.2
Flight distance : 454111 ft
Latvia

I can report as well - DJI GO 4 app + NVIDIA Shield = Crash after ~10 mins of flight. Not sure about distance, but could be ~200 m.
Video runs smooth until crash, then starts to flicker until freezes and app just quits. USB debugging is off. <- maybe that is problem?
Maybe we have to downgrade video feed speed (mb/s)?edīt: I have Phantom 4
2017-3-22
Use props
Flyboyz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 142615 ft
Singapore

I believed that the apps work well better in IOS than Android. I am using iPhone 6plus from day one with my Mavic without nay issue so far...
2017-3-22
Use props
Gunglejim
lvl.2
Flight distance : 102359 ft
Canada

I'm using a 7" Galaxy Tab 'A' (2016) Android ver. 5.1.1 Works without a problem with the GO3 app and yesterday was forced to update to the GO4 and have nothing but problems with it. Right from the time they came out with it up to and including the lastest update. Constant disconnects, lagging videos and complete cutouts. Was scared to even fly high or over water for the fear of losing the Mavic.
Here was my solution:  I went to www.apkmirror.com  and downloaded DJI GO 3.1.3 , uninstalled GO4 and reinstalled GO3.1.3 and turned off the auto-update for it.  
Once again I'm a Happy Camper and flying with confidence and no fear of something going wrong with the app or Mavic. I will be staying with this version until there is a definite fix on any newer apps (GO4)
2017-3-22
Use props
FlyRando
lvl.1
United States

FlyRando Posted at 2017-3-20 11:43
So much for that, I got a lightly used S6 from my dad. Wiped literally everything off the phone and now dedicated solely to the P4P. One flight crashed app, the next flight it worked perfectly.

Still looking for a consistency that triggers the crash.

The last 3 flights have had no issues, starting to trust it at further distances. (especially with insurance hehe)
2017-3-25
Use props
bigdps
lvl.3
Canada

The new 4.0.5 is terrible for me. I wish I could go back to the previous version. I keep getting Aircraft disconnects. Before I got the update, never had a problem. Now, I have to restart my phone a couple of times before I can connect but it is not a guarantee.I have an HTC M9 32gb.

2017-3-25
Use props
fans13ffcaac
New
Flight distance : 433 ft
Greece

Seems like dji go 4 crashes in several devices including mine too note3. do we have a formal answer from dji???
2017-4-26
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

fans13ffcaac Posted at 2017-4-26 13:40
Seems like dji go 4 crashes in several devices including mine too note3. do we have a formal answer from dji???

Surely you jest
2017-4-26
Use props
EventDrone
New
Flight distance : 333894 ft
New Zealand

Nexus, not ideal - is it on the recommended device list for dji go 4?

Running note 4, runs fine. However the volume buttons conflict with the mavic controller.

2017-4-26
Use props
xordium
lvl.2
Flight distance : 79219 ft
Australia

Another Nexus 6P with problems, app gets slower gradually, lags until crash after about 10 mins of flying. I can't be sure but it feels like a memory leak problem.
2017-5-6
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

You're not going to get a official response from Dji other than Android phones are made by a myriad of companies all of which tweak the coding to their liking and use a wide range of processor capability etc .  Add to that the users of Android phones download a ton of different apps and games which are not screened to be sure they do not cause issues with the phone or other apps . I'm sure people here complaining about Dji Go 4 have never had any problems with other apps ,lol . It's the nature of Android . If I were Dji I would simply state that the software was designed around Apple IOS and may work on most Android devices .

I have a old Droid Turbo that has never given trouble with Dji Go4 or Litchi . I did have lag on one flight but narrowed it down to I forgot to put it in Airplane mode . I have a specific start up pre-flight sequence and part of that is a OCD approach to using my Android phone . If I download anything new from the Play store I delete Dji Go 4 and re-install it so that it is the last thing installed on the phone . Before flying I always go into setting/Apps and force stop Dji Go4 and litchi then reboot the phone while I am preparing the Mavic for flight . Once the phone restarts I put it into Airplane mode and connect it to the controller to select which app I want to fly with .  I've been flying the Mavic since early January while installing the latest firmware as soon as it is released and have had no issues .
2017-5-6
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-5-6 04:37
You're not going to get a official response from Dji other than Android phones are made by a myriad of companies all of which tweak the coding to their liking and use a wide range of processor capability etc .  Add to that the users of Android phones download a ton of different apps and games which are not screened to be sure they do not cause issues with the phone or other apps . I'm sure people here complaining about Dji Go 4 have never had any problems with other apps ,lol . It's the nature of Android . If I were Dji I would simply state that the software was designed around Apple IOS and may work on most Android devices .

I have a old Droid Turbo that has never given trouble with Dji Go4 or Litchi . I did have lag on one flight but narrowed it down to I forgot to put it in Airplane mode . I have a specific start up pre-flight sequence and part of that is a OCD approach to using my Android phone . If I download anything new from the Play store I delete Dji Go 4 and re-install it so that it is the last thing installed on the phone . Before flying I always go into setting/Apps and force stop Dji Go4 and litchi then reboot the phone while I am preparing the Mavic for flight . Once the phone restarts I put it into Airplane mode and connect it to the controller to select which app I want to fly with .  I've been flying the Mavic since early January while installing the latest firmware as soon as it is released and have had no issues .

rydfree41 ,   To kill all running background apps and keep them from running install an app called
                   "Kinkgo Super Battery" it's in the playstore for android , once you installed it , all you
                   have to do when you Bootup your device -- click on it run it --- all B/G apps are killed
                   and Stopped --- it's a lot faster then going into settings and stopping each running app
                   one at a time and more then likely would start back up again
Hope this info helped   
2017-5-6
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-6 04:53
rydfree41 ,   To kill all running background apps and keep them from running install an app called
                   "Kinkgo Super Battery" it's in the playstore for android , once you installed it , all you
                   have to do when you Bootup your device -- click on it run it --- all B/G apps are killed

That in itself is a running app that uses resources . I don't go into settings and force close all apps . I can swipe from the side on one of my screens and kill the running apps but I just go to settings to be sure Dji Go 4 and Litchi are forced closed because they definitely use the same resources as the other .
2017-5-6
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-5-6 05:10
That in itself is a running app that uses resources . I don't go into settings and force close all apps . I can swipe from the side on one of my screens and kill the running apps but I just go to settings to be sure Dji Go 4 and Litchi are forced closed because they definitely use the same resources as the other .

I understand ---- I just figured it might be easier for you --- I use the K1 shield and the app seems to not interfere in any way with Litchi or GO4 apps ---- The other thing I did notice B4 I installed the super battery
app was that the GO4 app would restart when I was using litchi every time, after I installed the app the Go4 app no longer restarts or any other app for that matter  
2017-5-6
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-6 05:30
I understand ---- I just figured it might be easier for you --- I use the K1 shield and the app seems to not interfere in any way with Litchi or GO4 apps ---- The other thing I did notice B4 I installed the super battery
app was that the GO4 app would restart when I was using litchi every time, after I installed the app the Go4 app no longer restarts or any other app for that matter

I appreciate the suggestion and it may very well help someone reading this . What I have been doing has worked well so if it ain't broke ....

Your experience with the Dji Go app restarting is a perfect example of some apps not being completely purged from the system even though they have been closed . Mine did the same thing the first time I was messing around with Litchi after installing it . Force closing the Dji app stopped it though so that's what I have done ever since . Dji does not write several different codes and send them out , every update is the same for me as it is for you .  If many people are never having issues and some are then it is either 1. The phone is not powerful enough to run the app or 2. Something else is conflicting with the Dji app .
2017-5-6
Use props
Theo_H
lvl.2
Flight distance : 168894 ft
Norway

So far no issues with S5 and DJI GO 4
2017-5-6
Use props
Shastadad
New
United States

Can't even get the DJI Go 4.0 app to load on my Nexus 5X , no less use it, it will load on my Nexus 7 Tablet but that won't fit into the conrtoller
2017-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules