11617 113 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0203fdc6
New
Flight distance : 10423 ft
Australia

Hi Guys,

This isn't limited to Nexus devices, it appears to be Android in general, (although some devices seem to work better than others, most reports here seem to be Nexus/Pixel).

I just upgraded from Phantom 4 to a Phantom 4 Pro + (Plus).

DJI Go would regularly stop responding on my Pixel XL. I figured a fully integrated controller on the Pro+ would have to be the most stable solution on offer from DJI, however this morning it too stopped responding 4-5 times in a single session.

What's worse, is since it's a fully integrated controller, I have no option but to power cycle the controller, losing complete control of the aircraft, simply to relaunch the DJI Go app...!!!!

2017-1-7
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I use a Pixel XL and have not had any problems with the app at all. But I always turn wifi off before running the app. That is just a habit from the previous version of the DJI GO 4 app which used to come up with half a warning message about the wifi interfering.......  I have not seen this message on the latest version of the app as I started it a couple of times with wifi on but always actually fly with wifi off.
2017-1-7
Use props
Crofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23415 ft
Australia

I was with some guys yesterday so there was 2 mavics nad 1 p4 and we all had Android phone/tablets and we all had issues with the app crashing.

My phone was is a Nexus 6P, one guy had a Samsung phone (not sure on exact model) and other guy had a Tosbiha tablet.

I have no idea why they can't get it to work fine on Nexus phones.
2017-1-8
Use props
fans0203fdc6
New
Flight distance : 10423 ft
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-1-7 19:51
I use a Pixel XL and have not had any problems with the app at all. But I always turn wifi off before running the app. That is just a habit from the previous version of the DJI GO 4 app which used to come up with half a warning message about the wifi interfering.......  I have not seen this message on the latest version of the app as I started it a couple of times with wifi on but always actually fly with wifi off.

DJI Go crashed on my Pixel 2-3 times per flight. I always turned WiFi off as well, because it does cause interference, with it on the video would be dropping out after about 1KM, turning it off I could then fly out to 3.5-4KM (until the app crashed).

It's frustrating that the Pro Plus controller is nearly as unstable, yes it's better than the Pixel, but I still had maybe 4 crashes in just two batteries.

What makes the Pro Plus controller worse though, on the Pixel I could simply relaunch the app and be back within a few seconds, on the Pro Plus I have to completely power off the controller which takes a good 20-30 seconds and leaves me with zero control of the aircraft.

I am very familiar with Android, I could not find a way to relaunch the DJI Go app without completely powering off the controller.
edit: I discovered last night, on the Pro Plus, you can hold the power button on the tablet itself to perform a reboot of only the tablet. Still a lot slower than simply relaunching the app on the phone, since a full reboot takes 20 odd seconds.
2017-1-8
Use props
BlueZone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1366368 ft
  • >>>
United States

2017-1-8
Use props
fans5bb13022
lvl.1

United States

BlueZone Posted at 2017-1-8 18:27
DJI Go 4 working flawless with no issues or crash on my Note 4

Ive got a Motorola droid turbo 6 batteries and no crashes works flawlessly so far
2017-1-8
Use props
luvtofly
lvl.1

United States

testing 2123456
2017-1-8
Use props
Xmlzp84LBZsZ
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Well, worked fine at home during testing. Was pretty pleased with myself for buying the Shield after the trouble I had with previous Tablet.

Went out to the field and the Tablet crashed after 10 minutes on 2 Batteries. Screen just froze but luckily I still had control of the bird. Android 6.1.1 (or whatever the latest Marshmallow is) and DJI GO 4  4.03

It all Still works fine on wife's Iphone 6 though. Go figure

If I try with Litchi is that likely to be the same??
2017-2-26
Use props
SteveDickin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Xmlzp84LBZsZ Posted at 2017-2-26 05:33
Well, worked fine at home during testing. Was pretty pleased with myself for buying the Shield after the trouble I had with previous Tablet.

Went out to the field and the Tablet crashed after 10 minutes on 2 Batteries. Screen just froze but luckily I still had control of the bird. Android 6.1.1 (or whatever the latest Marshmallow is) and DJI GO 4  4.03

Disappointing to hear this, I will not use my Shield until I hear some good things again about it.  Thanks for the update.
2017-2-26
Use props
Jdwyier
lvl.2

United States

DJIGo4 on a Samsung S7 Edge running Android ver 6. Zero crashes to date. Probably 6 or 7 hours worth of flying on DJIGo4. No crashes on DGIGo or Litchi previous to switching to DJIGo4 either though...
2017-2-26
Use props
Crisoliveira
lvl.1
Flight distance : 129190 ft
Brazil

I'm having the same problem with my LG G3
2017-2-26
Use props
John Lam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26936 ft
Hong Kong

I have some app stability problem with the supported Note 4

And it Just crashed again when i am in the middle of updating the Mavic Firmware tonight

Lucky that still recoverable
2017-2-26
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

I have no problems with my Droid Turbo running DJI Go4 or Litchi .  I always cache the map at my flying location , stop all apps and clear from screen , place phone in Airplane mode then restart the phone before flying . Just a OCD thing , but I have had no issues since getting the Mavic at the 1st of January .
2017-2-26
Use props
SteveDickin
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-2-26 10:36
I have no problems with my Droid Turbo running DJI Go4 or Litchi .  I always cache the map at my flying location , stop all apps and clear from screen , place phone in Airplane mode then restart the phone before flying . Just a OCD thing , but I have had no issues since getting the Mavic at the 1st of January .

That is a serious lot of effort for a drone that is marketed such as the Mavic.  I think you have been extremely tolerant to do that every flight.
2017-2-26
Use props
Wacker2611
lvl.2
Flight distance : 254075 ft
United Kingdom

Don't want to sound smug, but I'm amazed more people don't run with the Sony Z3. It's on the approved list, it's cheap, it's got the best screen for outside use, it's big enough (5.2 inches) and for me at least, it's been rock solid with not one single problem.
2017-2-26
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Just a suggestion is possibly turning off some of the permissions for the app.  I don't understand why the app has certain permissions anyway, such as camera access.  I looked in my power settings and noticed the DJI app has used my phones camera for 2 seconds.  What exactly is it doing taking pictures without asking?  This is kind of disturbing to me.  I took a screenshot of the activity for future reference.

So if you limit the app to just flying the drone, maybe you will have better results?  Maybe some background activity is firing up and causing the instability.
2017-2-26
Use props
fansce7a49ec
New

United States

Yeah my PIxel XL crashes the app constantly. Definitely when attempting to start the app in landscape mode crashes it repeatedly so if I lock the phone in portrait mode it at least gets in and flies for a bit but then it crashes randomly like once or twice when I attempted to switch to the map mode full screen.
2017-2-26
Use props
Stupidnewbie
lvl.2
United States

I have the same issues with my LG G5.  It's super annoying.  Thankfully, it hasn't caused any major issues and the crashes are sporadic.  Sometimes, I get through a whole flight no app crashes.  Others, it'll crash 3-4 times.
2017-2-26
Use props
JimmyC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 65814 ft
United States

First time for me yesterday. Samsung S6.  Pixels got all locked up and app was slow to respond while flying. I believe it was because of a email notification coming to the phone. On the next flight I closed all running apps, started DJI Go 4 and then turned on airplane mode. This seemed to fix the issue. I will test some more this week.
2017-2-26
Use props
fanseb85c303
lvl.3

United States

I have e a shield and switched to litchi.  No crashes very solid.  Will use going forward
2017-2-26
Use props
fanscbb52bed
New
Flight distance : 151099 ft
Australia

After 30 odd flights ive found using the supplied usb(short) cable creates drama after drama. Switched to a standard usb 100% so far.
2017-2-26
Use props
driftingaway
New

United Arab Emirates

Hi all,

I'm getting constant crashes (every 1 or 2 minutes) with the DJI Go 4 app on Nexus 6P.

The crash logs are all the same error....

android.view.ViewRootImpl$CalledFromWrongThreadException: Only the original thread that created a view hierarchy can touch its views.

Except for one, which crashed with....

java.lang.NullPointerException: Attempt to invoke virtual method 'java.lang.String android.content.Context.getPackageName()' on a null object reference

Anyone have any ideas?
2017-2-26
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

Question to all you guys who have crashes:
Do you use some kind of task killer, or does your device not have enough RAM?
2017-2-26
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
Flight distance : 35249 ft
United Kingdom

fanscbb52bed Posted at 2017-2-26 20:24
After 30 odd flights ive found using the supplied usb(short) cable creates drama after drama. Switched to a standard usb 100% so far.

This makes no sense to most unfortunately,  if I use Go4 it crashes once or twice every flight, I swap the usb cable and it still crashes.   If I use Litchi I never have a single app crash. Trouble is using Litchi Voids my warranty.
2017-2-27
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fanse1dd4cd2 Posted at 2016-12-12 01:46
I have same problem with Moto G Play.

I have the moto x play,  and it rocks,  yes be careful to ensure you have cleared all your background apps before using,   and i did have to do a small reversable mod to the tx right side grip though as the moto x play is deeper/thicker than most.  
How to make most phones most stable for the Go4 app:-
1) clear all background apps.
2) Then put phone into airplane mode
3) Then power off and back on the phone, but leave with screen off (normal while not using)
4) connect the USB cable
5) Power up transmitter controller
6) power up Mavic (wait a few seconds for self check)(DONT move the mavic through self check)
7) live up your phone ( button press and password or what ever brings yours to life)
8) Go4 app should autostart, ( wait a few seconds)
9) press the "Go Fly" button.
10) everthing should be good,  use small video cache sizes as possible (1 gb) or better still turn off cache,  also turn off sync photo with phone/device, ( you can always move some of the photos to your phone later)  remember this app appears to really tax a low cpu powered/low memory sized phone
2017-2-27
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

flyingasd Posted at 2016-12-12 07:37
Compatible with / Released
Samsung tabs 705c jun 2014
Samsung S6 mar 2015

With all the recent updates to the Go4 app, i doubt many of even these devices are powerful enough to keep up,    Go4 likes lots of very fast RAM and lots of very fast storage area,  and lots of headroom in the CPU,   it would appear the GO4 app spends a lot of time at a mid usage point, but then during doing its thing, it seems to want to do 2 or 3 things almost simultaniously,  and if it doesnt get them done when it wants to do it , it just throws its toys out of the pram,  and thats where users are seeing the lag and breakdown in picture quality and connection drop outs,  i believe the program gets choked,  and during that choke the program reports back to itself it hasnt heard from the mavic for a while, and then the issues compound,   i know thats not a techy way of explaining it,  and only my perception,  but its held true so far.
2017-2-27
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

SteveDickin Posted at 2017-2-26 10:51
That is a serious lot of effort for a drone that is marketed such as the Mavic.  I think you have been extremely tolerant to do that every flight.

Very true ,  but !   if you want to be sure of a trouble free flight,   its such a crying shame that DJI dont build  the screen into the transmitter in a proper manner,  and that way lock up theProgram, CPU and memory to do just this job,  and rid themselves of this very nasty thorn,   trying to get all these different devices to work with a flying machine is just SO WRONG,   after all   Boeing doesnt ask its pilots to bring their ipad's along to fly a 747,   NO,  its very dedicated screens and programs to do the job with out fail !  by all means have a HDMI video out and USB video out,  so that the stream leaving the port can be put on a bigger screen or streamed to the net,   but for goodness sakes leave the control of the craft pure,  sorry thats my rant.
2017-2-27
Use props
SteveDickin
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A great discussion on here and I would hope people agree that its for a reason.  If DJI didn't see posts like this they would think everything is perfect, so keep the comments flowing guys and lets get Android devices back on the "LOVE" list.  
2017-2-27
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
United Kingdom

As I've said before, no issues what so ever with crashing on Litchi, over 100 apps installed on my Oneplus 3, Android 7, 6gb of ram, 64gb of rom = (Fast as F***), no other apps crash, it's all down to bad coding (FULL STOP), all these workarounds  people keep posting up have no effect of Go4s crashing for me, it's a case of fly with Go4 and risk app crashes every flight and the possible crash of the drone because you lose your view from the drone until you relaunch the Go4 app but keep your Mavic warranty, or fly with Litchi, void your Mavic warranty, but have an app that never crashes.

I have lost the Go4 with crashing while using sport mode, very fast and dangerous when the app crashes and leaves you blind!

Not one crash with Go3 but that also voids your warranty too.

PATHETIC DJI, put your socks up and get a proper coding team.
2017-2-27
Use props
fans565183da
lvl.1
Flight distance : 109150 ft
United Kingdom

My Pixel XL sometimes is fine, sometimes it crashes - I can't 'get it to crash'. It just does!
One thing I have at the back of my mind is that some Pixel users are saying "I have not had one single crash" - this leads me to believe that what could be causing the crashes are other apps doing stuff.
I am going to create a new user on my Pixel XL, and that new user will only be for when I fly and use DJI Go.
I will disable all other apps on this new user, and see if that makes any difference.
2017-2-27
Use props
flyingasd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31089 ft
Italy

@Gusmtb I've just bought Litchi for my Nexus 5X and Mavic.

for the first time i flew without problems.
2017-2-27
Use props
Gusmtb
lvl.3
United Kingdom

flyingasd Posted at 2017-2-27 06:04
@Gusmtb I've just bought Litchi for my Nexus 5X and Mavic.

for the first time i flew without problems.

Good to hear :-)
2017-2-27
Use props
Tahoe Flyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 122215 ft
United States

LukasBlecha Posted at 2016-12-10 09:10
It was crashing couple of times to me today. Galaxy S7.

So it does work on a Galaxy S7? I was scared to try since it is not in the "supported devices".

I use a Galaxy S5 and once in a while it crashes. I have not been brave enough to really send my Mavic too far so it has been in sight and the app would start up quickly. Would be nice of DJI to get the app working well. I have not noticed any similarities in conditions when it does. In the 20 hours of flight time I have had maybe 5 app crashes.

Conditions that I am usually in are approximately 32 degrees Fahrenheit and elevations between 7,000 to 8,000 feet when it has crashed.   
2017-2-27
Use props
garnets88
lvl.2
Flight distance : 286611 ft
United States

I am using it on S7 edge. So far, the app never crashed for me. *touchwood*
2017-2-27
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

SteveDickin Posted at 2017-2-26 10:51

AS I said,it's an OCD thing and it's resulted in 0 issues . I think DJI has spoiled people into simply wanting to grab a drone off the shelf and fly with no issues . No drone maker is to that point yet .  I'm 100% satisfied with what they have done with the Mavic because I have been building these things from scratch the last 10 years and have seen every issue that could possibly come up it seems ,lol .  I never thought I would buy an off the shelf drone but I bought my 1st one December 2015 which was a POS Yuneec Q500 4k for $1000 . That had a built in screen and had more issues that anything I had flown before . It almost turned me off from buying a off the shelf drone agin but I took the chance on the Mavic and it has been great . I like the idea that you don't need the phone screen at all to fly but it's available if you want it . Portability was DJI selling point .
2017-2-27
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
United States

They have no idea what type of apps and conflicts may be resulting from what people have installed on their phone . My daughter has had her phone lock up several times and had to uninstall a app that was the issue . If you want a dedicated screen I would buy a cheap used phone off Ebay and not put anything on it but the flying app . They work just fine without a sim card or cell service .
2017-2-27
Use props
FlyRando
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2387533 ft
United States

I agree, this go 4 app has frozen 2 of the only 3 flights. When talking to DJI support they ran through all the check lists and I did everything right. UNTIL I said "lucky for me I was able to fly back through the goggles because the goggles still gave me live feed" (the osd numbers had frozen in the goggles with the app crashing)

Then DJI support said "oh, you shouldn't use third party goggles as this might be the issue. You must only use the goggles DJI makes but are not available yet". Wait, what??? I thought that's why we put the hdmi accessory on it so we can use any goggles? I had 1,500,000 ft on my p3a with these headplays and never an issue. SUPER disappointed right now with the DJI go 4 app. I've uninstalled 3 apps (2 gaming) which I think are the culprits (i have my reasons). Waiting for good weather to test
2017-3-1
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

I've seen a lot of mention of phones running Android 7 (Nougat) that are crashing.  Saw another thread on the NVidia Shield running with 0 crashes on Marshmallow (Android 6.0), but crashing on Nougat.  Rolling back to Android 6 solved the issue.

Can I ask those that are crashing what their OS revision is?
2017-3-1
Use props
K4Unl
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122175 ft
Netherlands

I want to ask a question as well:
For the ones crashing: is your phone rooted?
2017-3-1
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

Maybe latest update of Android version of Go 4 (4.0.3) has improved stability on my Google Pixel. I have flown the new app version 2x 20min, and as far as I remember I had no crashes. Could have pure luck though. Have to fly it again to make final conclusions...
2017-3-1
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules