Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Any way to sync a studio flash with the Zenmuse?
2514 4 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States

Do any of the Zenmuse cameras have the ability to fire ground-based  studio flash units remotely?  This is strictly for still photography,  but using the drone as a tall tripod or boom.

I don't see the ability in the specs or if the GO app can sync the  shutter button to also a flash sync output to the the strobes  simultaneously as done with a normal DSLR camera with a flash socket or  hot shoe.  Probably could be done via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth to some current  slave trigger for them on the market - maybe.

I saw a Matrice 600 (??) at the LA Drone Expo brought by Samy's Camera  that had  a Sony a9 attached to it and I would guess that camera has a  flash sync, but not sure of the linking up of that camera to the GO app  against using a Zenmuse.  I cannot find anything as to using a second  party camera with the GO system and how it all hooks together or if flash sync could be a separte channel someplace.

Tia.

2016-12-10
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

The Zenmuse cameras do not have the ability to use flash. They have the ability to adjust aperture and stutter speed to deal with lower light situations. The M600 is just an aircraft so it would have no control over that, however, you could look into software development kits (SDK) to see if flash sync is possible.  
https://developer.dji.com
2016-12-10
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2016-12-10 15:18
The Zenmuse cameras do not have the ability to use flash. They have the ability to adjust aperture and stutter speed to deal with lower light situations. The M600 is just an aircraft so it would have no control over that, however, you could look into software development kits (SDK) to see if flash sync is possible.  
https://developer.dji.com

Thanks Jamie.

I looked into the SDK kit but paused at the portion where it asks for "Airmap Credit Card" and "Airmap Phone."  No explanation there as to what, why, etc. to get to the kit at that point.  

There must be a way to trigger simultaneously off the button on GO somehow.  I'm also thinking maybe off the shutter button in the remote too which might be easier although maybe a latency issue.
2016-12-10
Use props
AtimJ
New
United States

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2016-12-10 16:12
Thanks Jamie.

I looked into the SDK kit but paused at the portion where it asks for "Airmap Credit Card" and "Airmap Phone."  No explanation there as to what, why, etc. to get to the kit at that point.  

Any luck with this? I am trying to do the same thing but with the OSMO+ Desperately want to use our studio strobe system to create great 360 tours.
2017-6-21
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
lvl.4
United States

AtimJ Posted at 2017-6-21 09:49
Any luck with this? I am trying to do the same thing but with the OSMO+ Desperately want to use our studio strobe system to create great 360 tours.

I'm slowly getting there.  Did you see this thread which I got into after this post?  http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D368%26typeid%3D368

I just made some wooden holder where I can put the RC unit into it and it uses a solenoid to push the shutter button in the corner to trigger the flash unit above.  I used a Jameco Elctronics push solenoid (.88 ounce one) and three 9 volt batteries (27 volts) to push the shutter button (It takes 300 grams to do so on the RC shutter button.).  I was trying to avoid busting open the case to get to the shutter switch itself so I wouldn't void the warranty.   Seems it worked this AM.

I don't know anything about the Osmo series and if the same could be applied.  It may be hard-wired and no need for the wireless transmitter latency issue as with the drones.  Likely would have to parallel off the internal OSMO switch somehow, or fab up some pushbutton/solenoid(?) that triggers both the OSMO release and the flash at the same  time somehow.

Why DJI doesn't supply a flash socket is beyond me since most all still cameras have one.  I would think the Inspire would be a Pro series and have one.  Maybe not so much on the lower levels.  Osmo too ???
2017-6-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules