Try to fly in cold weather
1012 2 2015-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
michaelzyh
lvl.1
Canada

Last week I went out and was going to take some pictures of my house.  The temperature was -9 degree celsius.

After I calibrated the compass and wanted to fly, it shows that the IMU did not work properly and needed to do basic calibration.

But there's no basic calibration, only one button: IMU Calibration.

It took so long to calibrate the IMU.  After 10 minute, the bird had finished the work and ready to fly.

Wait!  My iPad show the iPad battery was almost empty.  But I remeber there's lot of battery left before I do the calibration.

Another minute later, the iPad automatically shut down.

In the end I gave up the flying because I didn't have faith to fly without iPad.

I guess it was because of the cold weather who caused such problems.  How do you think?

2015-2-11
Use props
henrik
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3949797 ft
Sweden

Yes, this is a problem with all Apples iDevices. They can't stand cold weather. But hey, Apple doesn't say otherwise. This is what Apple states in the tech specs:

Environmental Requirements       
Operating ambient temperature: 32° to 95° F (0° to 35° C)
Nonoperating temperature: -4° to 113° F (-20° to 45° C)

The only thing that REALLY disturbs me, is that DJI shows their products IN COLD WEATHER. There is multiple videos where the drones are used in cold weather, despite the operating temperature is stated as "0°C to 40°C".

I lost my P3 Pro in cold weather (-5°C) because of this. Lost in flight, and return to home didn't work. DJI should get me a new one.
2016-3-3
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

henrik@henrik.n Posted at 2016-3-4 05:38
Yes, this is a problem with all Apples iDevices. They can't stand cold weather. But hey, Apple doesn ...

If the RTH is set properly and you are flying within the limitations then RTH will bring it back to you, Unless it hit something on the way back because the RTH altitude was not set correctly.
2016-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules