Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Red Hot spot in the center of my camera
1234Next >
22666 130 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Frank I.
lvl.2
Germany

Hi Ken,

i had already tried that and a lot of other things (reset camera settings, reset craft to factory settings, downgrade firmware,
re-upgrade firmware, reinstall Go app...). After each single step i took test pictures to see if that step did the trick,
but it all didn't help.

I have sent the Mavic in for RMA last week, so i can't do any more tests at the moment.

I really hope to get an explanation from DJI about what caused the red spot to appear "out of nowhere".
If it was some handling error on my part, it may happen again with the repaired craft - if i don't know WHAT handling error it was...
OTOH, if it was just a sensor hardware error, well - than it's just bad luck, and i'll keep my fingers crossed
that it doesn't happen again.
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

PabloPiedra Posted at 2016-12-11 12:13
The spot has been on since the very first footage captured. I might have to try not using AWB, but it's a problem even if that addresses the issue. I hope DJI has a fix for this already in the works, that, or I would like a new drone...

Pablo,
Did you send your aircraft to the DJI repair center in California?
If so, what is your ticket / case# ?
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Frank I. Posted at 2016-12-27 05:45
Hi Ken,

i had already tried that and a lot of other things (reset camera settings, reset craft to factory settings, downgrade firmware,

Frank,
What is your case# ?
I will see what they find.
2016-12-27
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2
Germany

Hi Ken,
on dji.zendesk.com it is listet as "REQUEST #362293" - is that the case# ?
The RMA form has the ref. no. "CAS-363916-W8M9J2" on it.

I haven't heard anything from DJI since sending the aircraft back, and the Request is marked as "Closed" - is that normal?
(i would have expected at least some sort of "we received the package" confirmation mail...)

Thanks for looking into this Ken, much appreciated!
2016-12-28
Use props
lK14A0pG4iEn
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1353409 ft
United States

I just noticed a yellow spot in the center of my footage as well. The first handful of flights looked good but most recent flight with a snow covered ground made the yellow noticeable. I reviewed old footage and I doesn't appear it was originally an issue. I'm wondering if its a temp related, older footage the outside temp was approx 60 degrees Fahrenheit and yellow spot was noticed when outside temp was approx. 35 degrees Fahrenheit.  
2016-12-28
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just a quick update.  My Mavic went in for repair, and I've had word back that the gimbal and camera are both going to be replaced.

Fingers crossed that will sort the issues out.  Can't wait for it to get back with me now....

Andy
2017-1-3
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2
Germany

Mine came back from "repair" today. And guess what? NOTHING HAS CHANGED !!!

There is still a red spot on all the images (JPG as well as DNG). If anything changed - then it got even worse than before!

The only thing i found in the box was a "repair form" - what a joke!

So, what next? Send it back AGAIN ???

2017-1-4
Use props
fans5b6f140d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 339724 ft
United States

Wow that really sucks.  Mine has this issue and I feared that something like this would happen if I sent mine in.  
2017-1-4
Use props
seato
lvl.1
Flight distance : 583556 ft
Australia

Yea, sadly I will join this "party". I just shoot RAW/DNG and see it too. It's not obvious in all pics and so I maybe that's why some people said the problem only just appeared. Shot with some grey, white, low saturation in the middle of image and it's obvious. I'll do some more testing but I reckon it's a return IF it's actually possible to have it fix i.e. hopefully others who shoot RAW/DNG in similar situations do not have the issue?

I would love others (who don't think they have the issue) to test? Then again, could be a batch issue or something.
2017-1-7
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

fans5b6f140d Posted at 2016-12-19 22:14
Mine still has a yellow spot.

Also, if you do a search on YouTube for "Mavic Snow" you'll find many other videos that seem to suffer from this yellow spot in the middle of the footage.  Some examples:

Hi, thanx for examples of many yellow spots. Should we all understand this is a design issue for Mavic? (I mean is it a confirmed issue for Mavic Pro)? Since I have turned a short video today under the similar conditions (snow, no direct sunlight) and I have exactly the same yellow arrea in the center of the screen  - what is really dissapointing ... :-((

Previously (since the half of december) I have turned like 10 other vids without noticing this issue at all...
2017-1-8
Use props
MJSfoto1956
New

United States

Many years ago (i.e. 2004-2009) I had my Canon 20D DSLR modified by removing the IR filter, thereby turning it into an “infrared” camera. One noticeable behavior that was reported on many forums at the time was the appearance of a “hot spot” on images creating with such modified sensors. This hot spot looked just like what you are seeing here on these MP videos and stills. Indeed, on some of my lenses the hotspot was very visible. While with other lenses, much less so.

Note: I’m just putting this out there as another data point — I’m not suggesting that this is what is going on here, but rather the behavior is eerily similar.

YMMV

Michael

2017-1-13
Use props
fansd60707a2
lvl.1

Germany

I'm also seeing the red spot in all my footage and DNG photos. I also bought the Mavic specifically for RAW photography. My Mavic is currently at DJI because of a decentered lens, so I expect the camera will be exchanged, and I'll see. But I expect the hot spot will still be there, because it's a design flaw. Let me explain.

From my 13 years of experience in RAW DSLR photography, including a Nikon D70 modified for IR photography, I think I recognize the effect. It shows up to various degrees depending on the lens used. My guess is we're seeing an infrared hot spot on the Mavic, caused by the combination of the following:
- the IR filter in front of the sensor is probably too weak or has a cut-off wavelength that is too high
- the optical design of the lens emphasizes the center of the image for high wavelengths

The fact that the hot spot does typically not appear in Jpg images proves that DJI is apparently aware of this flaw and adjusted for it in the in-device image processing, but is not able to do the same for video. And as DNG always records the raw sensor data, it can't be fixed for DNG images as well. And that's what we're seeing.

I see two possible fixes:
- DJI has to change everyone's camera against one with either a fixed IR filter, lens, or both
- in the meantime, an additional IR cut-off filter in front of the lens could also help as a temporary workaround

As I said, I don't have my Mavic here at the moment. Can someone test if the camera can see infrared light sources, like from a TV remote? If you point an IR remote at the camera, does it's LED show up with moderate brightness (which would indicate a strong IR filter in front of the sensor), or does it appear completely white (which would indicate a weak IR filter)?

Maik
2017-1-14
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

Hi!
My Mavic fly more combo pack just received 4 days ago with the factory firmware and I have just  the same problem...the orange spot in the center of the frame.
I want to insist on the fact that all of us purchased this drone for video and photo capabilities not as a toy or racing quad. I spend 1500 E on it ant that is a lot of money.
If this problem with camera it is at the hardware level this is critical defect for a drone so expensive and dedicated to filming, it is unacceptable for any buyer.
What is the solution, DJI should immediately take action and explaining this defect and  repair it. If it is hardware problem the only solution will be like in the case of Samsung or go-pro karma an immediate recall for replacing the camera with an good working module.
Very ugly problem and I could not believe that in the case of Frank I ...has received the quad from RMA with the same problem present or whorse than before.
This really alarm me and make me think on the course of action to be taken....in the case that this problem it is not resolved I want my money back this is clear.

What is the address and contact email for dji europe rma?

Tx!
2017-1-15
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

Frank I. Posted at 2017-1-4 11:32

There is still a red spot on all the images (JPG as well as DNG). If anything changed - then it got even worse than before!

What they say about that? What solution they offer?
2017-1-15
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

possible that the problem reside in internal image processing because today I forgot the WB on custom and filming and shooting with that resulting in very bluish images...when importing the dng in photoshop and  correctly adjusted WB the red/orange spot it is not visible.
2017-1-15
Use props
Nighteye
lvl.1

Germany

As I also have such a spot (yellow, middle, DNG and Video) I am now confused to wait (for software update) and this can be removed due to software update OR I have to think about a repair at DJI.
As I also realize major Jello on my Videos (true in low temperature conditions but >0°C) and it is dissapearing when the copter finalized from inside (+22°C) acclimatisation to outside (+3°C) temperature....

What is your advice..  

To avoid long waiting maybe RMA during 2 weeks business trip   

Peter
2017-1-15
Use props
PabloPiedra
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-12-27 21:20
Pablo,
Did you send your aircraft to the DJI repair center in California?
If so, what is your ticket / case# ?

I have been out of country up until yesterday, I will retest my Mavic and if the issue persists I will send it in.
2017-1-15
Use props
JLP
lvl.1

South Africa

Also noticed a warm spot in my images. Just posting to keep an eye on progress here for now
2017-1-15
Use props
ChrisG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 655305 ft
United States

I'm also having the problem with a red circle in images, RAW & JPG (native from Mavic) exhibit the same behavior. For easy comparison I cranked the saturation up to make the effect more apparent. I've been mostly successful in eliminating it using a soft radial gradient adjustment in Lightroom - HOWEVER that won't work on video clips and it adds a lot of post processing time that shouldn't be necessary.
I thought I'd send it back to DJI but from some comments above I'd hate to have it come back with the same problem... Following this thread to see how it turns out.  

Red Circle

Red Circle
DJI_0002.jpg
2017-1-15
Use props
ChrisG
lvl.1
Flight distance : 655305 ft
United States

ChrisG Posted at 2017-1-15 19:02
I'm also having the problem with a red circle in images, RAW & JPG (native from Mavic) exhibit the same behavior. For easy comparison I cranked the saturation up to make the effect more apparent. I've been mostly successful in eliminating it using a soft radial gradient adjustment in Lightroom - HOWEVER that won't work on video clips and it adds a lot of post processing time that shouldn't be necessary.
I thought I'd send it back to DJI but from some comments above I'd hate to have it come back with the same problem... Following this thread to see how it turns out.

Realized I shouldn't have included an example with the saturation bumped since most people won't have a similar image. Unfortunately I can't edit my original post... So - here's an unedited one, with the very visible red circle still visible.

Again, this image is as the Mavic captured it.
DJI_0002.jpg
2017-1-15
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

Does this happen from the beginning of the flight or after some time with the mavic turned on? I remember a Nikon DSLR a long time ago that would heat up in long exposures and offer this red/purpleish color in some pixels.
2017-1-16
Use props
maikm
lvl.1

Germany

ChrisG Posted at 2017-1-15 19:18
Realized I shouldn't have included an example with the saturation bumped since most people won't have a similar image. Unfortunately I can't edit my original post... So - here's an unedited one, with the very visible red circle still visible.

Again, this image is as the Mavic captured it.

Honestly, this one looks more like a reflection of the red LEDs at the Mavic's front. Or did you make sure they are disabled before testing this? I think a neutral gray wall or road outside with some distance between camera and subject would be better. Indoors you can have all sorts of lighting details come into play which we cannot assess here.
2017-1-16
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

Heating in -7 C?
2017-1-16
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

Samsnung S5 ...same problem...photo taken right now....SO ALL THAT HAVE THIS PROBLEM HAD A DEFECTIVE SENSOR AND SHOULD DO AN RMA? WITH A NEW 1500 E QUAD?

PLEASE RESPOND DJI  !!!

Samsung S5 photo today

Samsung S5 photo today
2017-1-16
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

unedited picture that was take some 30 min ago...new mavic...true collor, wb cloudly
DJI_0003x.jpg
2017-1-16
Use props
yakke
New

Finland

Have you tried if the ND or UV filters reduce the effect? I know this is not a permanent solution, I'm asking just out of a curiosity.
2017-1-16
Use props
MJSfoto1956
New

United States

yakke Posted at 2017-1-16 09:14
Have you tried if the ND or UV filters reduce the effect? I know this is not a permanent solution, I'm asking just out of a curiosity.

my guess is that a UV filter will have no effect. But an infrared-blocking filter might do the trick.

YMMV

Michael
2017-1-16
Use props
fansbcbcf80d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2443947 ft
  • >>>
Russia

same here(
2017-1-16
Use props
bogdanteo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 111719 ft
Romania

i have the same problem...i read on different threads and websites that it's gonna be solved with the next firmware. looking forward to solving this issue
2017-1-16
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

another example take  from a movie
16106453_1375842812456896_684521618_o.jpg
16009923_1375875689120275_1598024017_o.jpg
16106691_1375842822456895_162901937_o.jpg
2017-1-17
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

I think that could be resolved on firmware...it seems that no matter the scene the sensor will real warmer on that center region...always the same...variation by lighting and scene will just make it less noticeable but I am almost sure that it is always there....
2017-1-19
Use props
jmullo
lvl.2
Finland

*Sigh*... of course there had to be this one nasty issue. Just noticed the yellow center spot in my winter video.

Let me list what this is NOT, despite suggested by DJI:
- Not a calibration issue.
- Not an indoor artificial light issue.
- Not a bright sunlight issue. Yellow spot is visible even on a very cloudy day. Basically ruins all winter scenes containing mostly white snow.
- Not a pre-production unit issue. Some review web site had this explanation. Unless you're shipping us pre-production units.

So can you do something about it in the firmware or not? For both video & RAW.

I'd just like a straight and honest answer.
2017-1-19
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

jmullo Posted at 2017-1-19 14:43
*Sigh*... of course there had to be this one nasty issue. Just noticed the yellow center spot in my winter video.

Let me list what this is NOT, despite suggested by DJI:

it already  came, until now the straight and direct response  was that this is a camera limitation because it is compact one and being an hardware issue it is very hard to impossible to resolve in firmware then it is unknown if anything could be done ever.

the choice highlighted was to return the drone for full refund if it is possible.

I find this funny but when I remember how much I spend on the drone I tend to cry

it is funny because all 1000000xxxx of mobile phones don't have this problem...only if they have broken camera...also xiaomy yi 4k camera and other mobiles as htc m10 with the very same sensor don,t have that problem.

and the most "funny" thing it is that dji release such hyped drone and all the people waited months over months to spend "in europe" 1500E on it...to buy an innovative filming quad...and  to find that camera has "hardware problems" and are treated as it was just an mismatch of the color on drone arms )
2017-1-19
Use props
FlyLight
lvl.2

Australia

Previous post edited- I just went back and checked carefully on my early shots and it was there since day 1, but seems to be worse in low light. Maybe that's just my perception.

I use it professionally for stills and video. I was really disappointed on getting back from my last shoot to find the colour vignetting present. Hard to fix but radial filter in Lightroom is a god-send...

2017-1-19
Use props
stratosHD
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1231280 ft
Australia

Frank I. Posted at 2017-1-4 11:32

Well they are efficient. They repaired and tested the craft in less than a 2 minutes.
Almost a F1 pit stop, awesome
2017-1-19
Use props
seato
lvl.1
Flight distance : 583556 ft
Australia

FlyLight Posted at 2017-1-19 17:07
Previous post edited- I just went back and checked carefully on my early shots and it was there since day 1, but seems to be worse in low light. Maybe that's just my perception.

I use it professionally for stills and video. I was really disappointed on getting back from my last shoot to find the colour vignetting present. Hard to fix but radial filter in Lightroom is a god-send...

Yea I checked early shots but couldn't actually see it. Appears in certain light or certain scene colours. I just sent it back as per support but based on comments here from DJI-Ken and the like, I'm guessing it won't make a difference.

I too have created a Lr preset that needs to be tweaked as each scene a bit different. Interesting that the JPG has been corrected by the camera's software/firmware. Hard to alter a DNG I guess...but here's hoping.
2017-1-20
Use props
fans972459ad
New

United States

Same issue here. Contacted support, they had me format card, reset camera settings and do a factory reset. No change, now they are saying to send it in.

20170120-DJI_0016.jpg
2017-1-20
Use props
FlyLight
lvl.2

Australia

If anyone is interested, here is my Lightroom preset to correct for the vignette, plus a bit of saturation etc, but with little sharpening.

Mavic VIGNETTE FIX

Open Lightroom, go to Develop and right-click on the presets panel, choose import.

Adjust to your own taste and save a new preset.
2017-1-20
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Romania

https://www.facebook.com/ryan.th ... s/1723912427634451/
2017-1-21
Use props
lucrousseau
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256654 ft
Canada

Hum :\
it's a phenomenon i also start to see, a orange spot in the center of my images...

2017-1-22
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules