Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Red Hot spot in the center of my camera
1234Next >
22667 130 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Here is the exlpanation in detail of why in some conditions you can see a red spot.

Mavic Pro Color Shading.pdf

323.99 KB, Down times: 186

2017-1-22
Use props
maikm
lvl.1

Germany

Ken, it says "Sorry, can not read the attachment".
2017-1-23
Use props
maikm
lvl.1

Germany

maikm Posted at 2017-1-23 02:58
Ken, it says "Sorry, can not read the attachment".

Never mind, works now.

Thanks for the statement. I can live with that, given that this is probably a tradeoff that had to be made for the Mavic to be as compact as it is. I'm hoping there can be in-camera fixes for DNG and video, and if not, perhaps DJI could supply filter plugins for FCPX/Lightroom/whatever to correct this in post?
2017-1-23
Use props
lucrousseau
lvl.3
Flight distance : 256654 ft
Canada

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-22 19:17
Here is the exlpanation in detail of why in some conditions you can see a red spot.

Thanks for the detailed exlpanation.
2017-1-23
Use props
hariedo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 10650 ft
Japan

Can not read the attachment. Post it to a Dropbox or some other cloud host.
2017-1-23
Use props
KevyDR
New

Canada

I cannot read the attachment.  It says the group I belong to cannot access it.  Please help.
2017-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

hariedo Posted at 2017-1-23 04:46
Can not read the attachment. Post it to a Dropbox or some other cloud host.

I'm not sure why you cannot download the PDF, other people could.
Here's a link to it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf8qau ... %20Shading.pdf?dl=0
2017-1-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

KevyDR Posted at 2017-1-23 06:12
I cannot read the attachment.  It says the group I belong to cannot access it.  Please help.

I'm not sure why you cannot download the PDF, other people could.
Here's a link to it.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hf8qau ... %20Shading.pdf?dl=0
2017-1-23
Use props
vor4oon
New

Russia

Hi guys! Greetings from cold Russia!) I have a similar problem on both my Mavics....
Detect this only after watching the video with a panorama where the snow was....
2017-1-23
Use props
KevyDR
New

Canada

Thanks Dj-Ken.  I got a copy now.
2017-1-23
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

Tx Dji-Ken for technical explanation. The yellow  big spot will be most visible on any overcast day with clouds covering all sky  or on mist/fog scenarios...also in any snow scenery or leafless trees.
Why on the wast majority of phones this is not visible...how they managed to resolve that? Maybe a stronger infrared filter? On my samsung S5 plus never happened this...or in other countless devices....yes on my friend samsung s5 this is happening but it is an isolated case. Shame that dji released the mavic with this rushed camera...and not exposing from start this limitation...taking part of joy from this gorgeous quad...the camera it is maybe the most important part of the quad...and I was really disappointing after so much wait and so much money spent to find after I buy that I have a big yellow spot visible on some shooting and could not do anything to remedy it.
2017-1-23
Use props
claywing
New

United States

daivatam Posted at 2017-1-23 19:02
Tx Dji-Ken for technical explanation. The yellow  big spot will be most visible on any overcast day with clouds covering all sky  or on mist/fog scenarios...also in any snow scenery or leafless trees.
Why on the wast majority of phones this is not visible...how they managed to resolve that? Maybe a stronger infrared filter? On my samsung S5 plus never happened this...or in other countless devices....yes on my friend samsung s5 this is happening but it is an isolated case. Shame that dji released the mavic with this rushed camera...and not exposing from start this limitation...taking part of joy from this gorgeous quad...the camera it is maybe the most important part of the quad...and I was really disappointing after so much wait and so much money spent to find after I buy that I have a big yellow spot visible on some shooting and could not do anything to remedy it.

so i was considering purchasing this drone but from what i read the cameras sensor will show a redspot on all video and photos that this drone takes? is every mode affected? if so , will there be a recall of this drone?  will this be corrected in firmware? will all consumers who purchased these be notified?
2017-1-25
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

claywing Posted at 2017-1-25 11:12
so i was considering purchasing this drone but from what i read the cameras sensor will show a redspot on all video and photos that this drone takes? is every mode affected? if so , will there be a recall of this drone?  will this be corrected in firmware? will all consumers who purchased these be notified?

Yes the yellow spot will be there but in most cases you will not notice it or will be not so evident. It is a matter of compromise  now because all the mavics has that problem...sadly but this is how it is ....
2017-1-25
Use props
MichaelRev1412
lvl.1

United States

Same problem here. 5 day old Mavic showing a yellow discoloration in the center. First few days were fine. Now set to return the drone. If this is lens issue, why did it not show up for 3-4 days? Seems to be a common scenario too. A few days its fine, then the discoloration. Is exposure to cold weather causing the lens to contract slightly thus causing the spot?

If my second Mavic has the same problem Ill have to return it again and hope for something else thats similiar at NAB. I cant have yellow spots in my video.
2017-1-26
Use props
FlyLight
lvl.2

Australia

"5 day old Mavic showing a yellow discoloration in the center. First few days were fine. If this is lens issue, why did it not show up for 3-4 days?"

I thought mine had crept in too, but now when I go back and look at shots from day 1, the problem is there, I just didn't know to look for it at the time. This is probably good because you can only see the problem if you know to look for it, like the missed bits and rough edges that bug you for years when you paint a room yourself :-)  Most people won't ever see any problem, they'll just be too blown away by the incredible footage you're capturing !!!!

The problem is far more noticeable in foggy conditions or over snow, but on a sunny day with a landscape scene, it's pretty hard to spot.

Hopefully a firmware update will encode a radial correction filter that's applied to every frame. Won't help RAW stills of course, but if you're shooting RAW you probably know how to correct it in Lightroom anyway...
2017-1-30
Use props
KEA
lvl.2
Hong Kong

I have the same issue. Dear DJI team. When can we expect a fixing the problem?
2017-2-7
Use props
fansa76b0846
lvl.1
Canada

I have the same issue, DJI ken do you know if DJI will make a fix for that or telling us how to do not have this anymore. My mavic is 7 days old...
2017-2-11
Use props
Richard Mavic p
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44797 ft
Canada

@dji Ken.
Same issue here, got my mavic late Dec.  Dose all mavic has this issue or just few? Any solution yet? Can I use my care to get a new mavic or pay For a good canmera only? I don't want to waste whole $999 mavic value on just a few hundred value camera.
2017-2-11
Use props
KEA
lvl.2
Hong Kong

Richard Mavic p Posted at 2017-2-11 21:11
@dji Ken.
Same issue here, got my mavic late Dec.  Dose all mavic has this issue or just few? Any solution yet? Can I use my care to get a new mavic or pay For a good canmera only? I don't want to waste whole $999 mavic value on just a few hundred value camera.

It seems like every Mavic has the issue and DJI is not gonna fix it. And as I understand they also don't consider this problem like RMA, but just like a proper behaviour for a small camera.
2017-2-13
Use props
fansa76b0846
lvl.1
Canada

What should we do with this problem ? any suggestion DJI ? Why it isn't take under RMA or with the DJI care refresh ? We just want something as it should be...
2017-2-13
Use props
KEA
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI team, any comments?
2017-2-20
Use props
fansa76b0846
lvl.1
Canada

KEA Posted at 2017-2-20 23:14
DJI team, any comments?

I really don't understand how to communicate with them... They never answer to what we ask for...
2017-2-21
Use props
neo0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 115997 ft
United States

WasabiBread Posted at 2016-12-20 06:19
If you think calling DJI for help is going to work....get ready for the greatest customer experience imaginable hahaha
The ONLY way to get help is to keep causing a ruckus here on the forums, then DJI Ken or Mindy will comment....then you will upload what they ask....then silence. You then will get frustrated, comment again...somebody from DJI will say they are looking into it....and finally you will be asked to send in the Mavic with no timetable for return. DJI customer service has a pattern anyone can see if you read the forums....amateur hour in truth. But hey, the technology is so amazing they could care less....

Gopro Karma?
2017-2-21
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-1-22 19:17

Can we get something like this for the focusing problems at the edge of photos?
2017-2-21
Use props
maikm
lvl.1

Germany

geofox784 Posted at 2017-2-21 10:44
Can we get something like this for the focusing problems at the edge of photos?

Well, that seems to be a per-unit problem. I'm currently waiting for my fourth (!) unit to see if that one *finally* has working optics. The other three were all DOA.
2017-2-22
Use props
seleznev
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45627 ft
Russia

I've got the same problem. Of course I can fix DNG in Lightroom by presets, but how about video? And this is not normal situation for 1200 euro device!!!!
DJI_0028.jpg
2017-2-25
Use props
fansa76b0846
lvl.1
Canada

seleznev Posted at 2017-2-25 00:13
I've got the same problem. Of course I can fix DNG in Lightroom by presets, but how about video? And this is not normal situation for 1200 euro device!!!!

This is really crazy that DJI don't answer us on this point ! Gopro had the honesty to ask return of their karma when the problem was find here DJI said there is a problem yes and what else you paid you have an object so be happy with you red hop spot photography you need to post trait !

I like my device but I don't like to speak with DJI customer service ! Everybody say the same thing and they don't listen to us...
2017-2-27
Use props
DronanOBrien
New
United States

I'm seeing this with my Mavic Pro too. Hoping it can be addressed... I've attached a screen shot from some of my footage in Premiere Pro as an example.  Anyone know if the Karma has any issues with this sort of thing?
MavicPro_Hotspot.jpg
2017-3-1
Use props
Stewie Griffin
lvl.2
Canada

DronanOBrien Posted at 2017-3-1 13:32
I'm seeing this with my Mavic Pro too. Hoping it can be addressed... I've attached a screen shot from some of my footage in Premiere Pro as an example.  Anyone know if the Karma has any issues with this sort of thing?

Ouch, that looks horrible.  But it doesn't look like its your only problem.  I realize you say this is only a screen capture, but the left side of the frame looks quite a bit sharper than the right and its pretty obvious to me in the trees.  Are you seeing this as well?  

I also have this red centre issue with my Mavic, along with white balance issues, and DJI didn't reply to any of my emails.   They already replaced the first one for a blurry right side so I guess I used up all my luck.
2017-3-1
Use props
jmullo
lvl.2
Finland

Sadly, I think DJI is going to stay quiet about this. At this point it's way too late to publicly state that every single unit sold has a nasty camera quality issue. That would be very bad for business.

And not enough customers will ever notice the problem anyway.
2017-3-2
Use props
Jeff Goldberg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1457329 ft
United States

I have exact same issue.  I always shoot raw and see it in every image.  Curious to hear if there would be a firmware fix.
2017-3-2
Use props
DronanOBrien
New
United States

Stewie Griffin Posted at 2017-3-1 18:19
Ouch, that looks horrible.  But it doesn't look like its your only problem.  I realize you say this is only a screen capture, but the left side of the frame looks quite a bit sharper than the right and its pretty obvious to me in the trees.  Are you seeing this as well?  

I also have this red centre issue with my Mavic, along with white balance issues, and DJI didn't reply to any of my emails.   They already replaced the first one for a blurry right side so I guess I used up all my luck.

Hey Stewie,

Thanks for noticing the blur. I'll have to keep an eye out for that the next time I put my Mavic in the air.

2017-3-3
Use props
fansa76b0846
lvl.1
Canada

DronanOBrien Posted at 2017-3-1 13:32

GOPRO had the honesty to call back their Karma. DJI said it's a hardware problem so we are working on it now s*&? up and live with it !
2017-3-14
Use props
b0n3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21083 ft
United Kingdom

Maybe we need cooperate and sue the DJI, hope after that they'll start doing smth
As they sold us a poor quality product which can't properly perform it's main function.

2017-3-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

jmullo Posted at 2017-3-2 12:53
Sadly, I think DJI is going to stay quiet about this. At this point it's way too late to publicly state that every single unit sold has a nasty camera quality issue. That would be very bad for business.

And not enough customers will ever notice the problem anyway.

It's already been explained in this thread and others.

Mavic Pro Color Shading.pdf

323.99 KB, Down times: 13

2017-3-14
Use props
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133694 ft
South Africa

Welcome to dealing with the Chinese business mentality.  This is the standard way of doing business in China.

Sell the product, and give zero support afterwards. I live in a country with stringent and very strongly applied consumer protection laws, (South Africa), but if you are stupid enough to buy something in a Chinese market or from a Chinese owned store, and have problems with your purchase,  then you are straight up Sh*t Creek without a paddle. Either the owners will miraculously no longer be able to speak English, or they will shout and abuse you and chase you out of their shop.

Which in a way is kind of what DJI are doing to the owners of their drones? The standard response from their support staff to almost all issues? Reinstall the app and firmware. That's their equivalent of no longer being able to communicate in English. Log a fault with their support for a known issue like I have done?   Don't expect a reply. Ever. Re-log the call, and expect to start from scratch...Reinstall the app. Over, and over and over again.

Maybe we are living in the year of the groundhog, and this is their day.
2017-3-14
Use props
KEA
lvl.2
Hong Kong

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-3-14 09:15
It's already been explained in this thread and others.

Dear Ken, we all read this paper, but it doesn't solve our problem, doesn't it? What if tomorrow you will announce that DJI can not fix this bag. Then, it means we all spent a lot of money for the product which we even can not return, because it's too late and can not use properly!
2017-4-2
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Is it just me wanting to believe .0600 addresses this problem with DNG? I can still see the hot spot if I pump up saturation in post, but on balance and at normal exposure it seems to look better. Anyone else notice an improvement?
2017-4-15
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Was thinking you could probably capture the pattern on your sensor using a white wall. Then in photoshop create a alpha mask for your specific sensor. Then have a master mask to correct all your shots.
2017-4-15
Use props
Lisi
lvl.2
Poland

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-15 09:52
Was thinking you could probably capture the pattern on your sensor using a white wall. Then in photoshop create a alpha mask for your specific sensor. Then have a master mask to correct all your shots.

I did something like this - took a picture of white wall with focus set to infinity (to blur wall details and set this picture as Lens Cast Calibration Profile.
Now my DNG's from Mavics are MUCH better - I don't have this annoying red shift in the center of my pictures and blue shift outside center (like from old mobile cam). See attached pictures.

Color correction profile

Color correction profile
DJI_0002-3ORIG.jpg
DJI_0002-2COR.jpg
2017-4-17
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules