Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Red Hot spot in the center of my camera
1234Next >
22664 130 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans7be75bf9
lvl.1

United States

Hi, finally got my Mavic, and I'm super happy about that. Today, upon taking my maiden voyage, I was disheartened to find all my footage had a perfectly round, red hot spot, in the middle of all my photos and footage. I pointed the camera at a white wall; proceeded to test by shooting in all formats, at multiple shutter speeds, ISO, and exposure compensation levels. All formats of video and photo had the spot. LED lights were turned off, and the spot was first notice in footage from outside.  Has anyone encounter this problem, or has a possible solution?

Thank you.

DJI_0017.jpg DJI_0023.jpg DJI_0021.jpg

DJI_0022.jpg
2016-12-10
Use props
StianGel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 686654 ft
Norway

Did you notice the redness when taking a picture or video of something further away?
My first tought is that the camera is picking up the light from the front LED's.
2016-12-10
Use props
PabloPiedra
lvl.1

United States

StianGel Posted at 2016-12-10 21:40
Did you notice the redness when taking a picture or video of something further away?
My first tought is that the camera is picking up the light from the front LED's.

LEDs are off, and yes, noticing the spot outside is what led to the testing.
2016-12-10
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

This  has been noted in RAW files but not JPG or video - presumably onboard processing removes the pink spot.
If you are only seeing it in RAW it isn't a fault and can be quite easily removed in pictures where it is intrusive.
If it's in all recorded files something is wrong and it probably ought to be returned.
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Would you please upload several original photos and an original video to dropbox? thanks.
2016-12-11
Use props
PabloPiedra
lvl.1

United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-11 05:27
Would you please upload several original photos and an original video to dropbox? thanks.

Images on Drop Box

Above please find SOC RAW, JPEG, and video files.
2016-12-11
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2
Germany

Hi there,

i'm having the exact same issue - but only since yesterday(!).
I took two flights yesterday: one with the PolarPro CP filter on - all images looked perfect, like the couple of hundred i took before (without filter).
Since the second flight (again without the filter) i'm seeing this red spot in all of the images.

I took some test shots of a white cardboard. I can upload them if needed, but they look pretty much exactly the same as Pablo's.

What i've tried to resolve the issue:

- I have tested all Color Modes from "None" to "Film-I"
- Refreshed Aircraft Firmware (1.03)
- Reset the Camera Settings in the Go 4 App
- Refresh RC Firmware (1.03)
- Re-Installed the Go 4 App
- Made test shots with the CP Filter on and off

Nothing has helped so far - the red hot spot is still in all the images just like in Pablo's.

What else could i try?
2016-12-11
Use props
eyecapture
lvl.4
Flight distance : 517848 ft
Canada

Looks like DJI is recycling Galaxy S2 sensors. This is a very common problem with older camera sensors.
I first experienced it with my Nokia 6180.

2016-12-11
Use props
andremercier
lvl.1
Flight distance : 310259 ft
United States

I have the exact same issue, all of my photos come out very warm in the center and very cool at the fringes. Wonder if it's worth an RMA?
2016-12-11
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2
Germany

Hi again,

here's some test pics "before" and "after" the red spot effect appeared. One of the last pics from yesterday's first flight:

Everything's perfect - sharp and no color cast whatsoever.

This is one of the first pics from the second flight 1 1/2 hours later:

The center has a redish color cast, while the edges seem to have a blueish color cast - that may be due to the AWB, however.
I had not changed anything in the settings between those two flights...

Here's a test shot of an all-white cardboard i took today (AWB again):

(I underexposed this a bit so the effect is more visible.)

@Pablo: have you seen this right from the first shot on your Mavic? As stated, all my earlier shots were perfect
up until that second flight yesterday. From then on they all have the red spot.
2016-12-11
Use props
PabloPiedra
lvl.1

United States

Frank I. Posted at 2016-12-11 13:53
Hi again,

here's some test pics "before" and "after" the red spot effect appeared. One of the last pics from yesterday's first flight:

The spot has been on since the very first footage captured. I might have to try not using AWB, but it's a problem even if that addresses the issue. I hope DJI has a fix for this already in the works, that, or I would like a new drone...
2016-12-11
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2
Germany

Hi Pablo,

i don't think this is related to the White Balance setting - that is only applied to the JPGs. In the DNGs you can set the WB to whatever you like.
And: the WB is applied evenly to the entire picture, not selectively just to the center or the corners.

Since my earlier shots were flawless, i still hope it's something software-related and not a physical sensor damage.

I did some more tests in the meantime: i downgraded the firmware to 1.02.09 (aircraft+controller), took some test shots - no change,
red spot remained. Then upgraded to the current firmware again - also no change. I'm running out of ideas as to what else i could do
other than RMA...

@eyecapture: do the Samsung S2 and Nokia 6180 have the same Sony sensor the Mavic has?
Is there any reported cure for that problem??
2016-12-11
Use props
PabloPiedra
lvl.1

United States

Frank I. Posted at 2016-12-11 15:43
Hi Pablo,

i don't think this is related to the White Balance setting - that is only applied to the JPGs. In the DNGs you can set the WB to whatever you like.

I tried a similar process, all modes, all wb settings, didn't do anything with firmware, but the red dot prevails... :/
2016-12-12
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2
Germany

I just sent a message to DJI support about the issue, since there is no feedback here.

I'll keep you updated when i get an answer...

cheers, Frank
2016-12-12
Use props
PabloPiedra
lvl.1

United States

Frank I. Posted at 2016-12-12 14:12
I just sent a message to DJI support about the issue, since there is no feedback here.

I'll keep you updated when i get an answer...

I also contacted them, was hoping to get more answers on the forum, but hope our issues are resolved. As a photographer, a red spot in my footage or photos is just not an option.
2016-12-13
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2
Germany

Today i received what seems to be an automated reply message with a link to an RMA pdf.

No information on the red spot issue itself, whether it's a hardware or software issue, what could
have caused it, nothing.

They didn't even tell me what exactly i should send in - i bought the Fly More combo, now should
i return just the aircraft, the standard package with controller and battery, or the entire Combo pack??

This is very frustrating. I'm also a photographer, i bought the Mavic only to take photos with it, and so
a faulty sensor is an absloute no-go for me as well. Since my camera was OK at first, i'm afraid that
even if i get a good replacement now the same thing could happen again, any time...

@Pablo: did you get any feedback from DJI?
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

PabloPiedra Posted at 2016-12-14 00:35
I also contacted them, was hoping to get more answers on the forum, but hope our issues are resolved. As a photographer, a red spot in my footage or photos is just not an option.

It's already been reported, if there's no resolution by doing a factory reset, refreshing firmware then feel free to call 818-235-0789 and see about getting an RMA.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Frank I. Posted at 2016-12-15 02:26
Today i received what seems to be an automated reply message with a link to an RMA pdf.

No information on the red spot issue itself, whether it's a hardware or software issue, what could

See above post.
2016-12-14
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2
Germany

Hi Ken,

i did get the RMA form. I just called the number you posted, but that was not really helpful!

I had two simple questions, none of them were answered:

1) what should i send in for the RMA ?
  a) just the standard box with the aircraft + controller ?
  b) the entire Fly More Combo with all the accessories ?

2) what can cause the red spot to appear in the first place, when the camera took lots of fine pictures before?
  a) hardware / sensor failure
  b) software error
  c) operator / handling error (which?)
  d) ...???

That's the key question here. (I didn't even get to ask it on the phone, the guy hang up on me before i had the chance!)

No offense, Ken - i see you're doing a great job here, and you're taking a lot of beating for things you can't do anything about.

cheers, Frank
2016-12-14
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3358875 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I've just noticed the camera on my Mavic has recorded a a "warm" spot in the centre of the image too.  I'm on the latest firmware, and shooting in raw (various other settings in the camera, but they don't seem to affect it).  I wouldn't say it was an obvious red spot, but when editing in lightroom, I can see a warm orangish spot in the centre of the image.
I've just tried a reset and a firmware update, and it hasn't made any difference.  The odd thing is, that it wasn't there (or wasn;t noticeable) until i did some flying this weekend.  Not sure if it is down to a fault, a firmware issue or some other reason.  

Andy

hotspot

hotspot
2016-12-18
Use props
4wd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It's normal in RAW, your software can probably apply a circular filter (e.g. Lightroom)
If you shoot RAW+JPG it doesn't show in jpg so they must remove it as part of the onboard processing
2016-12-18
Use props
Frank I.
lvl.2
Germany

@4wd: no, this is certainly NOT "normal"! And it's not because of some onboard processing either.

It's the same effect in all JPGs and DNGs. I did not need to apply any circular
Lr filters on the first shots before this appeared, they were "perfect out of cam".

(The JPG processing may make it a little less visible, but it's always there - in every picture)

@Andy: i hate to say this, but "welcome to the club" (of users having this issue).

I'll send my Mavic in for RMA today. Really hope the DJI techs get it sorted out!
Really love this thing - but if the camera doesn't work, it's of no use to me.
2016-12-18
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

If it was normal, it would have been doing it from new.  It's only really started to appear in the last few days.

@Frank, me too.  I'm using the Mavic for mapping and surveying for work (as well as a few sneaky mountain bike sessions!) so the camera needs to be working properly.

Think I'll give the online support guys a try in the morning, as I've also got a few issues with the gimbal drifting for ages after a yaw of the aircraft...

Andy
2016-12-18
Use props
fans5b6f140d
lvl.1
Flight distance : 339724 ft
United States

I have the same exact hot spot issue.  It appears in all my footage, except mine is more yellow/orange than red.  Check the center of the image versus the corners.  I've set the white balance manually.  I originally thought it might be just vignetting of the lens, but i've never seen a lens on any of my cameras produce a color shift in the center of the image.  This seems like a sensor issue.
Hot Spot.jpeg
2016-12-18
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm thinking it is either a sensor issue, or firmware issue too, as I can't make out it occurring in images taken before the latest firmware update.

Andy
2016-12-19
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just got off the online support with "Bobby".  He has suggested downgrading the firmware, then reloading the latest firmware, before doing an IMU and Gimbal calibration.  Apparently if this doesn't sort it, the Mavic needs to be sent in for repair.  Whether that would be under warranty or not, I don't know.  Will do that tonight, and hopefully get a test flight tomorrow to see if it resolves the issue.

Andy
2016-12-19
Use props
fans5b6f140d
lvl.1
United States

I'll try the firmware thing today too.  I really don't want to send my mavic in Let me know what you find.

Colin
2016-12-19
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just downgraded the firmware back to v1.02.900.  Got to get the kids in bed, then I'll give the cam a test on that firmware, and see how it goes.
2016-12-19
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328602 ft
Canada

Andy LIS Posted at 2016-12-20 03:13
Just downgraded the firmware back to v1.02.900.  Got to get the kids in bed, then I'll give the cam a test on that firmware, and see how it goes.

Any luck?

I have a similar issue with the warm spot in the middle, although not a full on red spot.
2016-12-19
Use props
fans5b6f140d
lvl.1
United States

Mine still has a yellow spot.

Also, if you do a search on YouTube for "Mavic Snow" you'll find many other videos that seem to suffer from this yellow spot in the middle of the footage.  Some examples:

2016-12-19
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Latest firmware uploaded again, all calibrations done.  The hot spot seems to still be there.  I'll see what support suggest next, today.

Andy
2016-12-20
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

Frank I. Posted at 2016-12-14 10:26

If you think calling DJI for help is going to work....get ready for the greatest customer experience imaginable hahaha
The ONLY way to get help is to keep causing a ruckus here on the forums, then DJI Ken or Mindy will comment....then you will upload what they ask....then silence. You then will get frustrated, comment again...somebody from DJI will say they are looking into it....and finally you will be asked to send in the Mavic with no timetable for return. DJI customer service has a pattern anyone can see if you read the forums....amateur hour in truth. But hey, the technology is so amazing they could care less....

That is until Google and Apple team up to create a drone combined with the best customer service around..that's the day DJI realizes they've become Texas Instruments overnight...
2016-12-20
Use props
Gaatto
New

United States

I guess I really will keep using my $250 hubsan for awhile. They really have to fix all these issues.
2016-12-20
Use props
BarrettF77
lvl.2
Flight distance : 565459 ft
United States

Spot on Wasabi!
2016-12-20
Use props
watuse
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2064587 ft
Spain

WasabiBread Posted at 2016-12-20 22:19
If you think calling DJI for help is going to work....get ready for the greatest customer experience imaginable hahaha
The ONLY way to get help is to keep causing a ruckus here on the forums, then DJI Ken or Mindy will comment....then you will upload what they ask....then silence. You then will get frustrated, comment again...somebody from DJI will say they are looking into it....and finally you will be asked to send in the Mavic with no timetable for return. DJI customer service has a pattern anyone can see if you read the forums....amateur hour in truth. But hey, the technology is so amazing they could care less....

I like your explanation man bravo man bravo
2016-12-20
Use props
WasabiBread
lvl.3
United States

watuse Posted at 2016-12-20 13:10
I like your explanation man bravo man bravo

Somebody needed to say it, so it is...the truth
2016-12-20
Use props
Andy LIS
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just a quick update.  Spoke with the online support guys yesterday, following the firmware updating and calibrating and the warm spot still being present (and the gimbal drift).  They initially tried to tell me that the DNG cleaner would sort the images out, but then said it wouldn't really help on videos that show the issue!  As for the gimbal drift issue I am having, that can be solved by "using a 3rd party video editor" apparently.

I pressed for further action, and was told a repair may be possible, but could not be sure whether the warranty would cover it.

I've emailed for an RMA now, as the Mavic is seriously flawed for the purposes I bought it for.  If it was present on all Mavics, I could understand that maybe a firmware fix would sort it.  The fact it isn't (and the gimbal drift) leads me to think there is a fault with mine, so it shall go back for repair/service/mending.  (I'm mentally preparing myself for lugging either a Phantom, or an Inspire up some hills over Christmas now too!)

Andy
2016-12-21
Use props
dps9
New

Hong Kong

I noticed the behavior is quite different in the JPG generated on board and the image developed from RAW.
This looks definitely a color vignetting effect, existent in all small camera modules. I played with various cellphones and can also see this. The on-board image processing chip tries to correct such effect, but cannot fully correct it. Every cellphone has some residual to a certain extent and no vendor fully eliminates it.

Yes, I also found on Mavic this effect is more noticeable than iPhone. And it seems to be optimized for shooting in sunlight. When you take the Mavic outdoors on a sunny day, you can hardly see the vignetting. But it looks worse under artificial light sources such as fluorescent and LEDs.

The correction seems to happen only on the JPEG generated on board. The DNG standard was invented for professional cameras so it does not provide the ability to compensate for color vignetting. If you develop from the DNG, it looks quite different from the original JPEG. Blame Adobe for this.
2016-12-23
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

PabloPiedra Posted at 2016-12-14 00:35

Do your outdoor JPEG's show this?
2016-12-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Frank I. Posted at 2016-12-15 03:47
Hi Ken,

i did get the RMA form. I just called the number you posted, but that was not really helpful!

Frank,
You said you did not have an issue, then it appeared.
Can you try something, please reset the camera setings then can you upload a JPEG and DNG to Dropbox and post the link.
I will forward it to R&D.
2016-12-24
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules