Tablets used
1999 27 2016-12-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans14ea42ea
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I just wanted to ask what tablets people are using and having good results with.  My phone is fine but it's just too small and the sun glare makes it worse.
Curious to see some good adapters people are making to use their tablets.
Thanks!  
2016-12-10
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1003150 ft
United States

Dont. I repeat dont purchase a Samsung galaxy tab a 7" Lost connection several times. Almost lost my Mavic. Thank goodness for RTH. My samsung s5 phone works perfectly. But I was wanting something bigger to fly with that would still fit into the controller. I've heard that the Nvidia shield k1 is really good but dont know if it will fit into the controller. Good luck.
2016-12-11
Use props
Mavic 007
lvl.2
United States

ASUS ZenPad S8 Z580 works fine except live video stutters. Doesn't fit in the remote so you need the tablet adapter.
2016-12-11
Use props
fans14ea42ea
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

I just looked at the galaxy tab2 at best buy and really liked the quality. It sounds like this wont work huh? So it seems like the ipad mini has the best results?
2016-12-11
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

Gmman Posted at 2016-12-11 20:16
Dont. I repeat dont purchase a Samsung galaxy tab a 7" Lost connection several times. Almost lost my Mavic. Thank goodness for RTH. My samsung s5 phone works perfectly. But I was wanting something bigger to fly with that would still fit into the controller. I've heard that the Nvidia shield k1 is really good but dont know if it will fit into the controller. Good luck.

Might I ask if you were running this tablet using the GO app or the GO 4 app. I purchased one based off of others feedback that it worked great and then the GO 4 app came out and he has had a few issues with it closing the app but no issues with the older GO app.

edit: I need ot explain I have one but I don't have my Mavic as of yet so I can't comment on if it works for me or not.

2016-12-11
Use props
VisualAltitude
lvl.4
Flight distance : 43914 ft
Sweden

The ipad mini works great and fits in the remote without any problem,
and it's so much easier to see if the camera is in focus on the larger screen.
The only downside is that the remote feels a little more bulky.
2016-12-11
Use props
Flyinhi
lvl.2
Canada

I use an ipad air2. Works well with the DJI Go apps.
2016-12-12
Use props
Mavicator
lvl.3
Flight distance : 129583 ft
United States

Gmman Posted at 2016-12-11 21:16

The Tab A 7 works good for me on GO4.  It is a little thick but fits the controller well.  The display on max brightness is a little too dim in sunlight, but not bad.   I have mine dedicated as the Mavic display with not much else installed on it or running at the same time.   Losing your Mavic won't be caused by the tablet you choose.  You may lose your display but you can still fly with the controller.
2016-12-12
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Does anyone use the iPad mini 1?
2016-12-12
Use props
Vin829
lvl.2

United States

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2016-12-13 01:15
Does anyone use the iPad mini 1?

I dont think the first gen mini will work...has to be 2 and above
2016-12-12
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Vin829 Posted at 2016-12-12 09:34
I dont think the first gen mini will work...has to be 2 and above

OK thanks.   
2016-12-12
Use props
CaptainET
lvl.2
United States

I use the ipad mini 1, it works fine except it does have some lag. So while moving or rotating the video monitor is a couple seconds behind.
2016-12-12
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
United States

Mavicator Posted at 2016-12-12 20:44
The Tab A 7 works good for me on GO4.  It is a little thick but fits the controller well.  The display on max brightness is a little too dim in sunlight, but not bad.   I have mine dedicated as the Mavic display with not much else installed on it or running at the same time.   Losing your Mavic won't be caused by the tablet you choose.  You may lose your display but you can still fly with the controller.

OK, thanks...that is what I am doing as well.....very minimal apps installed as it will be dedicated to the Mavic. So it shouldn't have any issues with programs running in the background....Does the "Outdoor" setting on the display brightness help at all?
2016-12-12
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-12-12 00:08
Might I ask if you were running this tablet using the GO app or the GO 4 app. I purchased one based off of others feedback that it worked great and then the GO 4 app came out and he has had a few issues with it closing the app but no issues with the older GO app.

edit: I need ot explain I have one but I don't have my Mavic as of yet so I can't comment on if it works for me or not.

Ive used both apps. They both react the same. I quit using my tab A because I really dont want to lose my mavic. Its crazy how many times it would lose signal (Picture turns to grey) and freeze frame on the video in just a couple minute flight. I even went in and deleted all the apps I could and force closed all the others that were not needed.The sole purpose of this tab A was to fly my mavic and has failed. Not worth taking a chance. I will not use apple products so I will stay with my samsung s5 that works flawlessly until I figure something else out.  Good luck
2016-12-12
Use props
Riotcontrol
lvl.3
United States

I have been thinking about buying the Nvidia shield K1 to use, any thoughts on that tablet?
2016-12-12
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
United States

Gmman Posted at 2016-12-12 16:58
Ive used both apps. They both react the same. I quit using my tab A because I really dont want to lose my mavic. Its crazy how many times it would lose signal (Picture turns to grey) and freeze frame on the video in just a couple minute flight. I even went in and deleted all the apps I could and force closed all the others that were not needed.The sole purpose of this tab A was to fly my mavic and has failed. Not worth taking a chance. I will not use apple products so I will stay with my samsung s5 that works flawlessly until I figure something else out.  Good luck

Wow....I am surprised to hear this when na few others have had great success with theirs....I guess I willl proceed with caution until I am able to see if it works for me or not. I have a Galaxy S5 phone so could use it instead but bought the Tab A for the larger screen size.

Just out of curiosity is yours a Galaxy Tab A (2016) model : SM-T280 running Android 5.1.1
2016-12-12
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2016-12-12 23:16
Wow....I am surprised to hear this when na few others have had great success with theirs....I guess I willl proceed with caution until I am able to see if it works for me or not. I have a Galaxy S5 phone so could use it instead but bought the Tab A for the larger screen size.

Just out of curiosity is yours a Galaxy Tab A (2016) model : SM-T280 running Android 5.1.1

Yup brand new purchased specifically for Mavic. Purchased from Amazon. Trust me you will not be happy with it. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use the samsung s2. More money but has faster processor and 3gb of ram.  
2016-12-13
Use props
zach5150
lvl.2
Flight distance : 225148 ft
United States

Gmman Posted at 2016-12-13 21:50
Yup brand new purchased specifically for Mavic. Purchased from Amazon. Trust me you will not be happy with it. I'm wondering if anyone has tried to use the samsung s2. More money but has faster processor and 3gb of ram.

I bought an 8" Tab S2 today. Over the last several days I've bought several to test.
-Tab A 7" [returned] (worked OK w/ the original DJI Go. DJI GO4 was unstable, especially in POI and other smart modes.) Android 5.x.x

-Tab A 8" [returned] (Didn't work at all. Could not get the app to connect. Continually cycled with 'use as default app'?) Android 6.0.1

-Asus Zenpad S8 Z580 [returned] (Worked pretty well, but bad video lag/jitter with GO4. I didn't try DJI GO, but maybe I should have. I was a nice tablet) Android 5.x.x

-Tab S2 (Same issue as 8" Tab A. It won't connect. Even if I am able to get past the bouncing USB connection issue, it never connects to the aircraft. It's running Android 6.0.1 as well so it seems like DJI Go or Go4 only support up to Android 5.x.x, but DJI has not confirmed that. I'd love to keep this tablet if they could get it to work, but I have to make a decision soon between this and the iPad mini2.)

-iPad Mini 2 (Works fine. I'm a little concerned that it only has 1GB of RAM, but it has worked the best of all tablets.)
2016-12-13
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
United States

zach5150 Posted at 2016-12-13 22:58
I bought an 8" Tab S2 today. Over the last several days I've bought several to test.
-Tab A 7" [returned] (worked OK w/ the original DJI Go. DJI GO4 was unstable, especially in POI and other smart modes.) Android 5.x.x

Thanks for sharing the info....I bought the Tab A 7" on cyber Monday for $49 so I am not terribly upset if it doesn't work out. Will likely go with the iPad mini if I have to buy a different tablet.
2016-12-13
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
United States

Riotcontrol Posted at 2016-12-12 20:21
I have been thinking about buying the Nvidia shield K1 to use, any thoughts on that tablet?

Let us know if it works any better than any of the other android tablets. I was also considering this one to try.
2016-12-14
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Riotcontrol Posted at 2016-12-12 21:21

I have the Nvidia Shield K1 arriving today from amazon.com for $200.  I won't get a chance to use it until the weekend. This is for a gift, but I plan on trying it out on my Mavic. I currently use the iPad Mini 2 and it has been flawless. iPad Mini 2 fits on the controller without an adapter. The Nvidia Shield will require an adapter, but it has GPS built in. I did quite a bit of research before ordering the Shield K1. Based on whaat I'v read, I think it is the best bang for your buck if you want to go with an android device.
2016-12-14
Use props
Mavic 007
lvl.2
United States

stealle Posted at 2016-12-14 06:32
I have the Nvidia Shield K1 arriving today from amazon.com for $200.  I won't get a chance to use it until the weekend. This is for a gift, but I plan on trying it out on my Mavic. I currently use the iPad Mini 2 and it has been flawless. iPad Mini 2 fits on the controller without an adapter. The Nvidia Shield will require an adapter, but it has GPS built in. I did quite a bit of research before ordering the Shield K1. Based on whaat I'v read, I think it is the best bang for your buck if you want to go with an android device.

I got one of these as well, sent back the asus zenpad because the live video would skip every 2-3 seconds. I haven't tried it yet either with the mavic. One thing I am really interested in is using goggles with it, since DJI's are vaporware or will likely approach $1000 (just a guess).

Has anyone tried using goggles with the K1 and Mavic? Is there a noticeable video lag?
2016-12-14
Use props
fansea1e504f
lvl.2

United States

fans14ea42ea Posted at 2016-12-12 14:16
I just looked at the galaxy tab2 at best buy and really liked the quality. It sounds like this wont work huh? So it seems like the ipad mini has the best results?

tab s2 works perfect for me.
2016-12-14
Use props
fansea1e504f
lvl.2

United States

Gmman Posted at 2016-12-14 11:50

I use the tab s2 and it works perfect, I actually just bought a new tab s2 to dedicate to my mavic, and keep my other one for personal use
2016-12-14
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Mavic 007 Posted at 2016-12-14 10:43
I got one of these as well, sent back the asus zenpad because the live video would skip every 2-3 seconds. I haven't tried it yet either with the mavic. One thing I am really interested in is using goggles with it, since DJI's are vaporware or will likely approach $1000 (just a guess).

Has anyone tried using goggles with the K1 and Mavic? Is there a noticeable video lag?

No, I do not have dedicated goggles... but I have tried using the litchi app with an iphone 6+ inside of a cheap $25 FPV box. iPhone 6+ is connected to the RC with a lightning cable. It was an amazing experience. Really cool to be able to control the up/down of the gimble just by tilting my head up/down while flying.  The resolution was not stellar and the live fed would occasionally glitch a little bit.  Made me want the DJI goggle even more. I hope they will be affordable.
Check out this video:

2016-12-14
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
United States

that looked like a pretty cool setup
2016-12-14
Use props
fans14ea42ea
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

fansea1e504f Posted at 2016-12-14 08:49
I use the tab s2 and it works perfect, I actually just bought a new tab s2 to dedicate to my mavic, and keep my other one for personal use

I bought a tab s2 8" just for my mavic too and it won't connect to the controller.  Did you make any changes to the tablet settings to get it to work?  
2016-12-17
Use props
Gmman
lvl.4
United States

stealle Posted at 2016-12-14 07:32

Any word yet if the Nvidia works without video lag or disconnect?
2016-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules