cold weather
799 5 2016-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans4c5e3b97
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

I flew my P4P yesterday morning and it was about 33 degs. outside. I kept getting a message that I was too  close to something and the obstacle avoidance would kick in, but I was in an open field with nothing around for miles.any thoughts?
2016-12-11
Use props
Ange1walk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 30305 ft
Austria

Was the Sun out shining? That's causing the obstacle avoidance systems to kick in. ( Unfortunately more or less :p )
2016-12-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

It's a mere -20*C here today. When you spit, ice balls hits the ground...
Should I fly my drone, or stick with www.realflight.com/drone ??

Frosty the Snowman was going to visit, but his feet froze to the walkway... Hahaha

RedHotPoker
2016-12-11
Use props
shayward
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104163 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-11 18:33
It's a mere -20*C here today. When you spit, ice balls hits the ground...
Should I fly my drone, or stick with www.realflight.com/drone ??

If I may chime in on this as well. I do tourism work, and other than having to have the batteries warm, are there real known issues flying in cold (below freezing temps.) weather? Much appreciated.
2016-12-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

One thing to consider is throttle. Whether ascending or forward flight, just go easy. No racing around putting extra stress on the model or the battery.
Cold air easily makes most plastics much more brittle. So unless our props are made of a cold resistant material, they probably get much stiffer and prone to busting under the load of flight...
This is something that could be easily tested with your old worn our props by placing them into the home freezer and checking  them over a period of normal flight times.

That thought of stress, goes for the rest of the drone too, what about our landing skids? A hard landing with brittle cold landing gear could also be a danger...

Just some thoughts to consider when the thermometer goes down past +32*F ~ 0*C.

RedHotPoker
2016-12-11
Use props
shayward
lvl.1
Flight distance : 104163 ft
Canada

RedHotPoker Posted at 2016-12-11 19:20
One thing to consider is throttle. Whether ascending or forward flight, just go easy. No racing around putting extra stress on the model or the battery.
Cold air easily makes most plastics much more brittle. So unless our props are made of a cold resistant material, they probably get much stiffer and prone to busting under the load of flight...
This is something that could be easily tested with your old worn our props by placing them into the home freezer and checking  them over a period of normal flight times.

The prop thing crossed my mind. I do hand landings not hard landings. No good putting the camera in snow. Take off is an issue too. I lifted off today from my travel case. (snow avoidance) Have people launched by hand? It would be tricky to start the motors with one hand.
2016-12-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules