Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
[Resolved] Blurry Right Edge. Focus on Right Blurs the Rest.
12Next >
17223 50 2016-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
int0x80
lvl.3
Flight distance : 668015 ft
United States

I. Introduction:
The problem existed since I got my Mavic, but because I could manually tap to focus the right part, I didn't take it seriously -- might be a software issue. Recently I found it's likely a hardware defect. I was wondering whether I should duplicate threads from other pilots [1, 2, 3, 4]. I started this for gathering more comprehensive information, as well as my own documentation.

II. Symptom:
In either video or photo, it has a noticeable blur right edge, especially in the lower right corner. You can manually tap the right corner on the screen, but all other parts of the picture will be not in focus. I took off all the stickers, gimbal, clamp. Recalibrated everything I should.
Please refer to the picture below:
TheSkateboard_SS_Auto.jpg
Fig 1. Auto focus (on center), right part is soft.
TheSkateboard_SS_LR.jpg
Fig 2. Tap focus on right, but rest goes blurry.

These are two snapshots from a video,  I also attached DNG format photos in different scenes in the 'Downloads' section.
Vid 1. Manually focus testing in Raw 4k

Vid 2. Mavic raw footage, blurry right edge in regular recording

III. Possible `Theories`:
We do have two `theories` to explain these:
1. One person on Reddit [5] suggested: "This type of issue can occur if the camera module has been improperly assembled. Likely the sensor and lens focal plane are not coplanar."
From my experience, this makes a lot of sense;
2. Another pilot pointed out [6]: "... vibration. The camera and gimbal are small, easy to get bouncing around, and the non-fixed props vibrate more than fixed ones. Also the hinged props can't be balanced like standard fixed props". He was right and got fixed after swapping props. Am I in the same situation? I did some experiments on the balcony.

Vid 3. Handheld shot in Raw 4k, Auto focus with a blurry lower right corner

Vid 4. Handheld shot in Raw 4k, manually focus on lower right corner

The same is replicable with no vibration at all. It seems that mine is not caused by the vibration. But if you are experiencing such blurry, you could try the fix in [6].

IV. My Questions:
1. Is this a hardware issue or not? Are you experiencing the same issue?
2. If you met this problem and got a replacement/fix, did that fix your problem?
3. I reported a different issue in another thread, I received a case number [7]. Because I fly my Mavic a lot, I decided to keep it and see if that issue will persist. In this case, will I need another case number?

V. Downloads:
The media could be compressed in the forum and youtube.
Raw photos/videos I mentioned in this thread are available here (dropbox): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mfl1w ... ZQ_nNxJGzkjhSa?dl=0

VI. References:
[1] 'Camera Soft on One Side - And strange video AF behaviour' : http://forum.dji.com/thread-72642-1-1.html
[2] 'Camera issues - sharp center but blurry corners?': http://forum.dji.com/thread-70032-1-1.html
[3] 'DJI Mavic Pro washed out/blurry right side?': http://forum.dji.com/thread-69767-1-1.html
[4] 'MAVIC Serious Image Issues': http://forum.dji.com/thread-73731-1-1.html
[5] 'MountainNerd comments on Camera - Sharp center, soft edges?': https://www.reddit.com/r/djimavi ... soft_edges/d9ejm84/
[6] "IflewbyU2's Reply on "Camera issues - sharp center but blurry corners?" http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=70032&page=1#pid600197
[7] 'Intermittent jerk in video shooting [video]': http://forum.dji.com/thread-74837-1-1.html

N. Current Status:
I started a RMA for my drone, sent it in on Dec. 16. I am living in the northeastern US.
[Dec. 19]: The drone is still in transit, expect arrives Carson CA on Dec. 23.
[Dec. 21]: In transit, arrived Vernon CA, very close to the destination.
[Dec. 23]: Delivered yesterday, but in the case tracking system it still says: "Please send back your product as soon as possible. If the product has not been received within 30 days, the case will be automatically closed. Once the product is received, it will take 1 working day for unpacking. Please wait patiently."
[Dec. 28]: Marked as recived on Dec. 27th; Damage Assessment on Dec. 28th; Fixed (under warranty and cost 0 USD) on Dec. 28th; Shipped back on Dec 28th. This is really impressive (Purchased DJI care).
[Dec. 29]: Expect delivery on Jan. 4th 2017, I also noticed the SN was changed. It seems like a replacement(refurbished?) rather than repairing. Not quite happy if it is a used one, I prefer having mine repaired.
[Jan. 4]: The replacement arrived today. It had all stickers on it and looks new (I only returned the Mavic itself, even no battery). I flew it in the night and it worked great. I cannot verify the recording quality in weekdays as I have to work in the day time. I will update again on the weekend.
[Jan. 5]: I was able to test it this morning on my balcony. The blurry likes a ghost, now it appeared on the left side. Admittedly this was much better than previous, but damn -- am I expecting too much from the Mavic camera? Don't know what should I do now . I am going to check it again in daytime flying.
Vid 5. Blurry on the left edge (Replaced Mavic Pro, handheld), note 0:30, 1:30 of this video

[Jan. 6]: Just had another try today, I flew it in the day time. The video quality is not bad at all. If inspect closely on the left side, the blurry is still there. I will not do another replacement because: 1. another one could be worse than this; 2. don't like to spend another 15 days without my bird; 3. It is acceptable. I just want to truly enjoy it, rather than struggle with a little imperfection.
Vid 6. Minor blurry on the left edge (Replaced Mavic Pro)

Vid 7. Minor blurry on the left edge (Replaced Mavic Pro)

Cheers.

2016-12-11
Use props
daho
lvl.1
Flight distance : 748205 ft
Switzerland

I have exactly the same. I wrote to support, waiting for an answer.
2016-12-11
Use props
GarethIwanJones
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I have this issue and have written about it in this forum too.

I haven't tested properly, but from some stationary indoor testing it seemed as if the latest firmware had improved this issue. Anyone else noticed any improvement?
2016-12-11
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

GarethIwanJones Posted at 2016-12-11 17:28
I have this issue and have written about it in this forum too.

I haven't tested properly, but from some stationary indoor testing it seemed as if the latest firmware had improved this issue. Anyone else noticed any improvement?

I just compared my video and it seems improved a little bit, but not sure if it does.
Previous:
Now:
2016-12-11
Use props
tgraves
lvl.1

United States

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-11 21:34
I just compared my video and it seems improved a little bit, but not sure if it does.
Previous: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROoIxyZx1hg
Now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-yZpk0S8ko

There's been a growing number of folks in another forum with similar issues. I'll suggest they come here to voice their concerns and post videos as well.

Here's mine. Around 12 seconds I focus to infinity, but things are still quite out of focus. Almost like I'm in the clouds or something.

If this is out of spec, I'd like to get a replacement or repair.
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please upload the original video files to dropbox and send me the link? I'll help to check it.
2016-12-12
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-12 04:09
Could you please upload the original video files to dropbox and send me the link? I'll help to check it.

Hey Mindy, Thank you for reply. The download link is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mfl1w ... ZQ_nNxJGzkjhSa?dl=0

Please take a look and let me know if any further info I could provide. Thanks.
-- int0x80
2016-12-12
Use props
GarethIwanJones
lvl.1

United Kingdom

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-12 15:41
Hey Mindy, Thank you for reply. The download link is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mfl1w1yziour25u/AABi52FCFvCZQ_nNxJGzkjhSa?dl=0

Please keep us updated with DJI's advice. I have exactly the same issue and I'm interested to know what they recommend.

G
2016-12-12
Use props
fansd17af852
lvl.2
Flight distance : 518373 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'm afraid it's worse than that guys.
I know this is going to be hard for many of us as, like me you are probably so impressed with this little guy that a lot of us (like I said not everyone seems to be affected) are settling for a faulty product. And I get it. It is small, well built and is easier and more fun to fly than my p4. P4 Pro and Inspire 1, so how do you send something like that back? And if you’re like me, I ordered (and paid for it) on October 10th, but waited 50 plus days to get it (December 6th).

It also appears that some of the earlier shipments and video samples I saw (that originally sold me) seem… less than Phantom, but not by much. And as the old adage goes, “The best camera is always the one you have with you” I spend a lot of time in remote areas so I am ok with a little image sacrifice, but NOT what I am getting and what many of you are experiencing.

A lot of us are having very serious focus and resolution issues with the Mavic. Regardless of how diligent we are on focusing (and YES we are taking the bubble off!) the image still seems very soft. So what I did was a close frame-by-frame analysis and in most cases each frame of the video looks more like a watercolor painting.

Here is a Dropbox link (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pi53p ... winjTJ84-pYm8a?dl=0) to a folder that contains 4 short samples of video taken at 4096, 3840 and 1920 resolution. I also added the video named “Shot-Also-at-3840” that I originally shot that drove me to do a controlled test. Because in fairness the original subject matter of leafless trees is daunting detail for any camera much less this little guy and wanted to be fair. To that end my test consisted of something simpler. I did a hover in front of my house.

I have also provide representative frame grabs from each of the first 3 movies where you can clearly see the effect I am talking about. The frame grab from the 1920 video almost looks like a stylized posterize filter was put on in photoshop, and I believe that this is what is happening to all the videos just to a smaller extent.

PS. So you know it is not me, here is another very capable guy on youtube showing the exact same "Water Color" issue.

2016-12-12
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

GarethIwanJones Posted at 2016-12-12 10:49
Please keep us updated with DJI's advice. I have exactly the same issue and I'm interested to know what they recommend.

G

No worries, I will do.
2016-12-12
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

tgraves Posted at 2016-12-11 22:23
There's been a growing number of folks in another forum with similar issues. I'll suggest they come here to voice their concerns and post videos as well.

Here's mine. Around 12 seconds I focus to infinity, but things are still quite out of focus. Almost like I'm in the clouds or something.

Hey tgraves, it would be better if you could reproduce the issue in official DJI Go (4) apps. That will eliminate the possibility of 3rd party app bugs.

If your Mavic cannot tapping focus on specified area, I think that might be a separate issue.
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-12 23:41
Hey Mindy, Thank you for reply. The download link is: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mfl1w1yziour25u/AABi52FCFvCZQ_nNxJGzkjhSa?dl=0

Thanks. One more question. What kind of temperature were you flying in?
I'd suggest you to send it in for further evaluation.
Please send an e-mail to support@dji.com with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support" . We'll help you create a case.
Case illustration:
Full name:
Email address:
Phone number:
Shipping Address:
Zip Code:
Forum link for your case:
2016-12-12
Use props
Evan8tr
lvl.2
United States

GarethIwanJones Posted at 2016-12-12 07:49

G

Same Here. Lack of sharpness, tons of blurry shots. Have not had a flight where i have been pleased with the camera quality and I'm not picky by any means. Would like to know if this is a hardware or software issue.
2016-12-12
Use props
tgraves
lvl.1

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-12 04:09

Mindy, Here's the raw 4k video for you. Let me know how to best proceed with my case.

I used the C button on the remote programmed for center focus when doing this test.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wfw2eqn6hzhy4iw/Focus.MP4?dl=0

2016-12-13
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-12 22:52
Please send an e-mail to  with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support" . We'll help you create a case.

Hi Mindy,

Sorry for the late reply. I just sent you an email according to the instructions.
For the temperature, I remember it was about 35°F to 40°F (around 3°C). But I warmed up a few minutes before fly (the app will notice the low surrounding temp so I would wait).

Many thanks for your help.
-- int0x80
2016-12-13
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

fansd17af852 Posted at 2016-12-12 12:14
I'm afraid it's worse than that guys.
I know this is going to be hard for many of us as, like me you are probably so impressed with this little guy that a lot of us (like I said not everyone seems to be affected) are settling for a faulty product. And I get it. It is small, well built and is easier and more fun to fly than my p4. P4 Pro and Inspire 1, so how do you send something like that back? And if you’re like me, I ordered (and paid for it) on October 10th, but waited 50 plus days to get it (December 6th).

Hi, I've behind the screen for days and didn't get time to finish your comments until now.

Yeah, playing with the Mavic have been tons of fun, especially in the sport mode. I cannot agree more with you. I had also been waiting for 56 days too.

Just downloaded all your videos, and your Mavic's cam seems got much severe problems than mine. I will contact DJI immediately for a replacement/fix if I was you. But I am still wondering whether you took off the dome, or whether the cam caught something inside. We all have the `watercolor painting` issue in 1080p x 60fps, it is a known problem, but your cam looks like soft on everything.

Hope you could schedule a fix asap.

-- int0x80
2016-12-13
Use props
mrclfr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 282014 ft
Switzerland

I have exactly the same issue: right corner is blurry

Here some Original Fotos:
Photo 0003
Photo 0037

if I focus on the right corner, the rest of the picture will be blurry: (NOT flying)
Photo 0058

Video with the same issue in the right corner:
Video 004
2016-12-13
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-12 22:52
Please send an e-mail to  with the following info, the subject should be " Forum support" . We'll help you create a case.

Hi Mindy, my case (363935) on the Zendesk has been marked as `solved`without any notification. Does that suppose to be?
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-15 08:22
Hi Mindy, my case (363935) on the Zendesk has been marked as `solved`without any notification. Does that suppose to be?

We've checked the ticket, since we created a case for you to send it in, and we had sent you the e-mail with the case number, that's why the ticket shows "Solved" now.Please do not worry about it and you will receive the shipping label soon to send it in for evaluation.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

tgraves Posted at 2016-12-14 07:52
Mindy, Here's the raw 4k video for you. Let me know how to best proceed with my case.

I used the C button on the remote programmed for center focus when doing this test.

We received your e-mail with the details, and created a case for you.
Please check your e-mail box with the case number and you will receive the sipping label in about 1-2 working days.
2016-12-14
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-15 01:28
We've checked the ticket, since we created a case for you to send it in, and we had sent you the e-mail with the case number, that's why the ticket shows "Solved" now.Please do not worry about it and you will receive the shipping label soon to send it in for evaluation.

Thanks for your patience, that makes a lot of sense to me.

Yeah, just prepared the parcel and will send it in tomorrow.
I am going to miss it so much.
2016-12-15
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-16 13:41
Thanks for your patience, that makes a lot of sense to me.

Yeah, just prepared the parcel and will send it in tomorrow.

Really understand your feelings and hope you will get it back soon and enjoy it!
2016-12-16
Use props
MF_FPV
New
United States

Hello.  My first post... unfortunately.
Just got my Mavic Pro 4 days ago.  Very excited for my first drone.  And it flies great!  Two test flights this week and I'm looking at the footage for the first time last night and today.  Mine has same problem.  Blurry on edges - sometimes right side , some time left side.  I shot everything in UHD video (24fps) and raw pics.  Almost like a tilt-shift camera - except not in same place all the time.  You can see it in shots where I tap the autofocus while rolling.
I am going to do a couple more tests today - while the Mavic is not flying - to be sure... but - what are steps being done to fix this?

Is this possible a recall issue?  Or is it only effecting certain ones off the assembly line.  Seems too early for this many of the same problems from users.
And to update... just did more tests... it's definitely not an autofocus problem.  Had same issue using manual focus... shot in 4k.  These two shots you can see really bad soft areas - on the row of houses shot, you can actually see the left and right side get blurry at different times.Link to two original files on Dropbox
Help!!?

2016-12-16
Use props
Error404
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Recieved my Mavic yesterday and exactly same issue...
2016-12-16
Use props
MF_FPV
New
United States

I have been in contact with DJI and customer service... just wondering if other folks who had this issue ( blurry on left and/ or right side of frame) - have had the issue resolved to their satisfaction?
2016-12-19
Use props
sbb
lvl.2
United States

It's looking like I also have this issue. I'll be watching this thread to see how it is resolved...
2016-12-19
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-16 06:23
Really understand your feelings and hope you will get it back soon and enjoy it!

Hi Natalia, would you please to help me tracking my case status? It been received yesterday, but still no update in the case tracking system (https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTraceDetail/). I am wondering if the package is safely arrived. Thank you so much.
2016-12-23
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-24 07:54
Hi Natalia, would you please to help me tracking my case status? It been received yesterday, but still no update in the case tracking system  (https://repair.dji.com/en/support/RepairTraceDetail/). I am wondering if the package is safely arrived. Thank you so much.

It'll take 1-2 business days to update it into the system, please do not worry about it.
I will help you keep an eye on the case status, please feel free to let us know for any further questions.
Merry Xmas!
2016-12-24
Use props
Bax
lvl.4
Flight distance : 749413 ft
Australia

Hi DJI Natalia, I have had similar issues with my right side of camera.

I have asked in a couple of threads if someone at DJI could take a look, I uploaded images as requested to a drop box, the link is a few pages back in the forum now.

If you have a second can you take a look at mine please Natalia, appreciate it. Thanks so much
2016-12-24
Use props
fans91ecbbac
New

Canada

I'm also noticing blur on the bottom right corner. I've had the drone for 3 days and I can now see all my footage has been affected by this issue. I'll contact a DJI representative.
2016-12-27
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
Puerto Rico

DJI Natalia Posted at 2016-12-25 02:32
It'll take 1-2 business days to update it into the system, please do not worry about it.
I will help you keep an eye on the case status, please feel free to let us know for any further questions.
Merry Xmas!

Hi Natalia,

Sorry for the late reply -- I am on the Christmas vacation and have limited access to the internet, how I wish my bird came with me. Yep, I noticed my mavic just been fixed and already ready for shipping. It took less that one day to fix and be ready for shipping, super impressive.
Now finger crossing waiting for my Mavic. Many thanks and happy new year!

Best,
int0x80
2016-12-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

int0x80 Posted at 2016-12-28 12:36
Hi Natalia,

Sorry for the late reply -- I am on the Christmas vacation and have limited access to the internet, how I wish my bird came with me. Yep, I noticed my mavic just been fixed and already ready for shipping. It took less that one day to fix and be ready for shipping, super impressive.

No problem, hope you will receive it soon and enjoy it.
Happy new year!
2016-12-27
Use props
fans6a7b471b
New
Flight distance : 326358 ft
United States

Dang. I'm having this same issue. I've checked a few scenes, and the right side is blurry. It took me a while to figure out it wasn't just user error. I sent in an email request a few minutes ago with a still from the video. As long as this gets fixed in the next week or two, I'll still be really happy. This drone totally rocks!
2017-1-6
Use props
Arvada
lvl.2
Flight distance : 398822 ft
United States

First, I want to thank int0x80 for such a well written and detailed outline of the problem and work done to solve the problem.  I just got my Mavic and sadly (as I am usually one of the unlucky in life) all edges are blurry.  But mostly on the left side.  Not a little... a lot.

Could the DJI moderator please outline for us what they would like us to try first and then what?  It does seem this is a legitimate issue and I am curious if the fix was a slightly more stable gimbal mount or did the camera have to be refurbished?
2017-1-10
Use props
M Stuart K
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

Arvada Posted at 2017-1-10 19:53
First, I want to thank int0x80 for such a well written and detailed outline of the problem and work done to solve the problem.  I just got my Mavic and sadly (as I am usually one of the unlucky in life) all edges are blurry.  But mostly on the left side.  Not a little... a lot.

Could the DJI moderator please outline for us what they would like us to try first and then what?  It does seem this is a legitimate issue and I am curious if the fix was a slightly more stable gimbal mount or did the camera have to be refurbished?

Well; all of these camera issues has me worried as my Mavic will ship any day now!  Hope I hear some encouraging news for a fix on this very soon or I might have to press the "cancel order" button.  Who needs a camera drone that takes bad pictures?  
2017-1-11
Use props
Faisal
lvl.1

United States

Hi - I have 2 Mavics it is happening on one and not happening on the other .... DANG not sure what should I do ?
2017-1-11
Use props
photoholic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 45581 ft
Switzerland

Same issue here... I hate this... really...
2017-1-13
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

Faisal Posted at 2017-1-11 12:55
Hi - I have 2 Mavics it is happening on one and not happening on the other .... DANG not sure what should I do ?

That really depends on how bad it is and whether you can live with it.
If you tried all suggested solutions/tweaks and the problem still bothers you, I recommend you to request a RMA. You invested on it and you shall get what you expected.
2017-1-14
Use props
canadianairborn
lvl.3

Canada

Return the bird! I had the issue in November and they replaced it within a week with a brand new bird...
2017-1-14
Use props
int0x80
lvl.3
United States

Arvada Posted at 2017-1-10 19:53

Hey Arvada,

You are welcome.

I went to the NY DJI authorized store and they told me the last firmware solved this issue. I was unable verify it since I sent in my old Mavic. You may want to try all the fixes(firmware upgrade, calibrate everything, check propellers to make sure they run smoothly, etc.) before sent in.

I suspect this is a hardware issue due to insufficient quality control. This shouldn't happen on Mavic as the camera system is a big highlight of it.

If you are a DJI care customer I guess they will do a replacement rather than fixing. Because that would be faster.

Best,
int0x80
2017-1-14
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules