Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
My DJI Repair Experience (Australia)
2796 22 2016-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
WebCo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 137362 ft
Australia

After a 6 week wait on delivery (which was reasonably fast in the scale of things), I managed to Crash my Mavic on it’s First flight and snap off the Gimbal mount – so had to send it straight off to DJI Australia for repair.

I had some good and bad experiences with the repair, so thought I would document the process – outlining what was good , what was bad, and what I thought  DJI could/should have done better.

Whilst I am happy with the outcome, I did find parts of the process quite stressful and frustrating…

This was the first and hopefully Last time I have used DJI’s repair service (I hope not to  wreck my drone again) so I have no idea whether my experience was typical… but I hope that it gives others an insight in to what they might expect if they need to send their drone in for repair…..

Below is a screen grab from the DJI Repair Progress system – the dates they quote are not necessarily accurate.. the case was reported on 14th Nov and I received the repaired unit back on 9th December  - total elapsed time 25 days  :

DJI-Repair-Progess.jpg

Date / Time

Activity
Comments / Suggestions

14 Nov  15:00

Problem initially reported
Wasn’t able to report via Online Support (not available for   Australia) so I had to send an email to support@dji.com..   Received an automated reply with a case number

Waiting,.waiting.. for a response…. DJI-Ken provide some useful advice   and help via the DJI Forum, including the DJIDownloadTool, and  advice to Sync RC logs and instruction on   how to do this.

15 Nov 23:00

Human response from DJI Support
The provided an Analysis form to download and fill in… as an Excel   Spreadsheet…. Seriously ?? It is not the 1990s anymore – surely an online   form would have been much more efficient.

16 Nov 07:13

Sent off completed spreadsheet and receuived an invite to sign up to   DJIs zendesk support tracking system

16 Nov 23:19

Received notification of scheduled Courier Pickup following day

17 Nov 13:00

Picked up by Courier

21 Nov  11:22

Delivered to DJI

23 Nov 11:00

DJI Repair Acknowledged receipt, raised case number provided Serial   #s of received parts and said it would be 2 days to assess the repair

01 Dec 20:04

DJI Provided Damage Assessment and Quote for Repair  – option one, pay for repair ($78) option 2   pay  for replacement under DJI Care Refresh   ($139)
The fault was deemed “Pilot Fault” … not convinced this was the case,   but I preferred to pay then  argue and further   delay the process.  However, I only had   the option to pay for the Care Refresh (which I could have done by clicking a   link)… I had to request another quote in order to pay the more likely (cheaper)   option.

02 Dec 13:23

Received requote for the $78 repair option

02 Dec 13:30

Paid via Paypal

03 Dec 10:15

Received acknowledgement of payment and told that it would take1-2   days to “process” payment and then 3-5 days for repair.  Also asked to provide payment receipt.
Really ?? Paypal payments are usually instantaneous, not sure what   extra processing would be needed o why they needed an extra receipt – sounds like   a stalling tactic

05 Dec  17:10

Payment Confirmed – Repair Started

06 Dec 10:22

Repair Complete – estimated 2 days quality assurance

07 Dec 11:23

Quality Assurance complete – estimated shipping next working day

08 Dec 16:00

Courier Picked up

09 Dec 14:00

Repaired Drone delivered by Courier
Woo Hoo !!!

09 Dec 15:00

Updated Firmware, charged batteries out for a test Flight... But RC   would not Connect to Drone
Whatever I tried factory reset, different  startup sequences, different mobile device,   reinstall firmware… but the RC just was not connecting to the Drone whatever   I did.  Spent 25 online with DJI   Support and they said I would need to send it back in  for analysis… GRRRRRRR

09 Dec 16:00

Relinked RC (Page 36 of Mavic Manual) and all good
I posted my RC Connect issues on the DJI Forum.. and it was suggested   that I try a “Re-Link”… which worked.    During the repair process the repair team would have used their own RC   which automatically unlinked mine (they didn’t want me to send my RC in)…   Would have been nice if they had mentioned that a re-link would be need… and   would also have been good if DJI tech support knew about this.

09 Dec 17:00

Finally get to do some Test Flights – All Good (so far)

Overall I was reasonably happy with the way DJI Handled it… but was frustrated by the many delays.  They had my Drone for  just over 2 weeks – and for the most part was told that I should expect an outcome within 1 or 2 days… which was typically 3 or 4 days.  I realise they have other thigs to do than just fix my drone… but because I was expecting a response, I was regularly checking .. and getting frustrated… if they had simply said “within 5 days” I would have been very happy to get a response in 3 or 4.

I think that there was not enough information provided about how to access flight logs … I had to do quite a bit of research to find out how to do this … simple instructions should be included as a part of the process.

Finally, I was not told I would need to re-link my RC.. and tech support didn’t have a clue….  Once I found out what was wrong and how to fix it was pretty obvious and straightforward… but this frustration (and nearly a re-send back to repair) could very easily have been avoided with simple instructions from the repair team.  

2016-12-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi WebCo, the turn-around time is around 2 weeks after been received at the facility.
We will keep improving our service, thank you for your feedback.
And the online support is available for Australia. Did you get any error message?
2016-12-11
Use props
tgs3838
lvl.3
Flight distance : 213957 ft
United States

Sadly i had to start a repair last week. It was a easy process to make a claim and get it sent off. I do wish they offered a faster shipping option for repairs. I Live on the East coast of the USA. And it has to be sent all the way to the other coast. I sent it off last Tuesday. And according to tracking it wont be to California till this Tuesday. Hopefully that will be my only complaint when this whole process is over.
2016-12-11
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

WebCo, thank you for posting this. I just sent in my Mavic for the same problem. The man on the help line told me that it would take 7 working days to fix the drone. With your post, I now know that that was a very unrealistic estimate.
2016-12-11
Use props
JasonMBryant
lvl.3

United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2016-12-11 19:49
Hi WebCo, the turn-around time is around 2 weeks after been received at the facility.
We will keep improving our service, thank you for your feedback.
And the online support is available for Australia. Did you get any error message?

Mindy, I am in a similar situation. I am in China, and just this morning I had a friend send my Mavic to be repaired. It has the same problem, a broken gimbal mount.

My issue is that I am in China right now, but I will go to America on Dec 30th. There is almost no way that it will get back on time, so I will not be able to take it on my trip and won't have it until late February.

Is it possible for the repair center to send the drone to America when they are done? That would be incredibly helpful.
2016-12-11
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Iceland

If you need to relink the RC, then I suspect this is not your previous bird. Most likely a replacement unit.
2016-12-11
Use props
leostark
lvl.2

Sri Lanka

Pierre35 Posted at 2016-12-12 10:34
If you need to relink the RC, then I suspect this is not your previous bird. Most likely a replacement unit.

"During the repair process the repair team would have used their own RC   which automatically unlinked mine" is the likely explanation I guess especially since he didn't have to send the RC
2016-12-11
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

JasonMBryant Posted at 2016-12-12 12:44
Mindy, I am in a similar situation. I am in China, and just this morning I had a friend send my Mavic to be repaired. It has the same problem, a broken gimbal mount.

My issue is that I am in China right now, but I will go to America on Dec 30th. There is almost no way that it will get back on time, so I will not be able to take it on my trip and won't have it until late February.

Sorry Jason, if you send the aircraft to our China repair center, we cannot send your aircraft to America.
2016-12-11
Use props
WebCo
lvl.4
Australia

Mindy,

At the time when I tried to do an online repair request it said that this was not available in Australia and to send a request via eMail.

Not sure if this was a temporary thing, or has since been resolved (it has been nearly a month).
2016-12-12
Use props
WebCo
lvl.4
Australia

Pierre... pretty sure it is the same drone...  but as I said linking their RC unlinked mine... which is reasonable... just would have been nice to have been told and not go into a panic at maybe having to send it off again...
2016-12-12
Use props
WebCo
lvl.4
Australia

Hmmm... just to prove my point... I checked the serial # and it appears that they have in fact swapped out the drone....

The one they returned has a different serial# to the one that they logged in...

Not sure if that is a good or a bad thing....
2016-12-12
Use props
WebCo
lvl.4
Australia

Mindy...

Just tried again the Online Repair Request via https://www.dji.com/service/repair

It does allow you to select a region, and then choose the country, but when you select Australia a message pops up :

Your selection is not currently available. Please contact us via www.dji.com/support
by choosing “OTHER SUPPORT OPTIONS” at the bottom of this page to arrange repair.
2016-12-12
Use props
WebCo
lvl.4
Australia

On reflection, there were also a couple of shipping stickers when I got the unit back - including one covering one of the front optical sensors... which I thought was odd that I had missed them... seems like I didn't.

Not sure if it will affect my DJI Care Refresh either...

Is this normal to get a different unit back after repair ??  I have raised a query with DJI Support..
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

WebCo Posted at 2016-12-12 17:06
On reflection, there were also a couple of shipping stickers when I got the unit back - including one covering one of the front optical sensors... which I thought was odd that I had missed them... seems like I didn't.

Sorry WebCo, I misunderstand that.
What I mean is our online chat support is available for Australia.
Could you please provide me with your case number? I'll help to look into it.
2016-12-12
Use props
isthisthingon?
lvl.1
United States

WebCo Posted at 2016-12-12 17:06

So the real question is why did they log time for a repair if they just gave you a new one? Wouldn't that have saved a few days off the process? Like repair and QA days?

SMH

2016-12-12
Use props
WebCo
lvl.4
Australia

CAS-324297-V4N3P7 Mindy
2016-12-13
Use props
marc20357
New
Germany

Reported a case on Nov 14th. Received DHL labels. Send of the Mavic on Nov 16th. DHL tracking is showing "in delivery" (to DJI) since Nov 18th. Requested 4 times with DJI support to check where the delivery is. Was told to ask DHL which isn't possible since it was a pick-up. DJI finally confirmed arrival on Dec 5th. Since then, nothing has happened. Still showing, assessing damage ("takes 1-2 days, please be patient").

CAS-320289-H7M7W5
2016-12-13
Use props
fans960b109d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791736 ft
New Zealand

WebCo Posted at 2016-12-12 21:44
Mindy,

At the time when I tried to do an online repair request it said that this was not available in Australia and to send a request via eMail.

Hey mate im in nz and have same prob....did u break the ribbon cable to? How much did the whole repair thing sting you in the end? Your close to nz so been keen on knowing what im in for?
2016-12-13
Use props
WebCo
lvl.4
Australia

Hey marc.... yes that "takes 1-2 days, please be patient" message is VERY frustrating.... If they said "can take up to 10 days" I would have probably been satisfied, but wondering every day if the status is going to change ... and feeling the need to check it regularly just rubs salt into the wound...
2016-12-14
Use props
WebCo
lvl.4
Australia

Hey fans.... for me it was just the l plate itself was snapped... the ribbon cable seemed to be intact and it was hanging from it...

The end cost was actually very reasonable - just $78 - $3 for the part, $60 for labour, and $15 for return shipping.

Maybe they should spend a few more bucks on the part and make it stronger, because I think we are going to see more of these types of problems... Mine snapped off from a 1.2m fall
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

WebCo Posted at 2016-12-14 16:37
Hey fans.... for me it was just the l plate itself was snapped... the ribbon cable seemed to be intact and it was hanging from it...

The end cost was actually very reasonable - just $78 - $3 for the part, $60 for labour, and $15 for return shipping.

Thanks for the info, we'll escalate the case for you.
For the SN, as you can see in the invoice, gimbal damping absorbing  plate broken, SN may be changed after repair, which will not affect your care refresh, if you are worry about that, please send an e-mail to djicare@dji.com.
2016-12-14
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

marc20357 Posted at 2016-12-13 18:27
Reported a case on Nov 14th. Received DHL labels. Send of the Mavic on Nov 16th. DHL tracking is showing "in delivery" (to DJI) since Nov 18th. Requested 4 times with DJI support to check where the delivery is. Was told to ask DHL which isn't possible since it was a pick-up. DJI finally confirmed arrival on Dec 5th. Since then, nothing has happened. Still showing, assessing damage ("takes 1-2 days, please be patient").

CAS-320289-H7M7W5

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
We'll help you escalate your case soon, thank you again for your support!
2016-12-14
Use props
WebCo
lvl.4
Australia

Got a message back from DJI-Care saying that they have  "rebound" my DJI Care plan to the new aircraft.... but still had nothing from DJI Repair explaining why they swapped out the drone with a different unit and didn't think it was worth mentioning...
2016-12-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules