Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Inspire 2 vs Phantom 4 Pro
12216 21 2016-12-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jay_Z
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11739275 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was just about to pre-order the Inspire 2 and sell my Phantom 4 ... my priority is to upgrade the camera.

What I don't need to debate is whether to update my P4 - this part is not relevant to the discussion! My question is - Phantom 4 Pro vs Inspire 2.

I would be using the Inspire 2 in single operator mode - using the X4S camera for 40% video and 60% photos (approx!). Based on this use - why would I want to buy the Inspire 2? After reading that the cameras/sensors are essentially the same, I considered the price difference, $3600 vs $1500. The Inspire 2 has the dual battery system - great for redundancy but what else?

If you've used the Phantom 4 series especially as well as the Inspire (1 or 2) - why would you choose the Inspire? Is there really a $2100 advantage?

I'd appreciate your feedback on this.
2016-12-11
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I am asking the same question. The obvious answer is the props in shot issue. Perhaps the independent gimbal yaw control may be smoother than the aircraft yaw of the P4P but I'd like to know what others thisnk about that. And what about aircraft stability in higher winds?
2016-12-12
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

There are multiple benefits for getting the Inspire 1 instead of the Phantom 4 Pro depending on how you want to expand for business or if you're just using the unit for fun. The Inspire 2 has a better tuned propulsion to be more stable in higher winds and has a built in FPV camera that you can use the gauge your heading when the camera isn't centered. In addition, you could eventually upgrade your camera from the X4S to the X5S and its accessories in the future for better DSLR/ RAW capabilities, while the P4P will not have any camera upgrade capabilities. I would highly recommend taking a better look at the Inspire 2's product page to better understand the differences:
http://www.dji.com/inspire-2/features#subNavBar

The Phantom 4 Pro is great as well, but it's really a matter of what you plan on using it for.
2016-12-12
Use props
fanse5c75c2f
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

I've chewed on this very thing as well....been waiting to pull the trigger on the 4pro with hopes of better image quality results than what I get with my 3Pro. But after reading a half dozen threads on the PHV4Pro forum...I'm going to wait a bit.  Sounds like lots of nightmares out there.  But then...maybe all those who are not having problems are too busy enjoying the results they are getting with their 4pros and have no time to come here and post? :-)
2016-12-28
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

"But then...maybe all those who are not having problems are too busy enjoying the results they are getting with their 4pros and have no time to come here and post? :-) "

Indeed. We hear plenty of negativity here and little positive.  Maybe someday that will change........ or not.

I have an Inspire Pro and love it.  I started with the Phantoms then moved up to the I1 with X3. It didn't take long to outgrow the X3.. (A week maybe!!) .. then moved to the X5.
Now THAT's a Camera!! I have 3 Olympus lenses, 12mm, 25mm and 45mm and find these fill all of my needs as well as wants. I will never go back to point-n-shoot cameras. I shoot primarily stills, so ne need for the X5R. At least not yet.
I think DJI makes excellent products and I have had one instance of dealing with customer service on a warranty issue. Bulging battery was replaced inside of 10 days time. No hassles.

So, there. Some positive feedback!!
I can't tell you anything about the P4 other than I wouldn't want one because of the limitations of the camera. Other than that, I think it is a great product and a good value.
2016-12-28
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own the Inspire 1, P3P, P4 and the new Mavic. All these aircraft have very good flying capabilities. The Inspire 1 platform gives you the advantage to upgrade the camera depending on how you are using the drone. The P4 is easy to set up and get into the air. The Mavic is small and always available (in my car) to get the video or photos of the moment.
So I guess it is up to you what you want to do with the aircraft!  If I want quality video / photos then I prefer the Inspire 1, I love the way it fly's and handles the wind.  The Inspire 2 is taking it to the next level

Rich
2016-12-28
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

fanse5c75c2f Posted at 2016-12-28 09:16
I've chewed on this very thing as well....been waiting to pull the trigger on the 4pro with hopes of better image quality results than what I get with my 3Pro. But after reading a half dozen threads on the PHV4Pro forum...I'm going to wait a bit.  Sounds like lots of nightmares out there.  But then...maybe all those who are not having problems are too busy enjoying the results they are getting with their 4pros and have no time to come here and post? :-)

You are right. Complainers dominate forums. The New Gen aircraft all fly brilliantly. You have to be quite dim to crash them IMO. Of course, no one will ever admit to this but that's life.

IMO the P4P and Mavic are both steady as rocks even in high winds. I don't have an I2 but it should be in that class too.
2017-1-1
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I think you are answering your own question yourself.. good luck with whatever you choose, both are great aircraft..
2017-1-1
Use props
WellFlightz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 181358 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

Man...keep your P4 Pro. I still didn't buy any of them (I2 or P4 Pro) but, if one of your priorities include more time on the air, stick with P4 Pro. Maybe I'm wrong, but tell me in some months the reaction of people buying Inspire 2 with X5S and getting the deception of 19-20 minutes flight time! I've seen some Phantom 4 Pro's videos and it is able to go very close to the promised flight time, something around 25-27 minutes in practice, against I2's 20 minutes only (X5S). For the price difference and for the right purposes, Phantom 4 Pro looks the way to go for now, maybe till Phantom 5 (which will blow Inspire 2's head away)...just need to be sure if the props appearing inyo footage issue has gone or is minimized with the new mechanical shutter on P4 Pro's camera...
2017-1-2
Use props
ironpeddler
lvl.1

United States

Hello first post here, looking to buy a drone.

Are the I2 and P4P activetrack/spotlight/ the same or does the I2 have and upgraded version or something?
2017-1-5
Use props
JWC P4 P
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

This is the $1MIL question.  I had the Inspire 2 in my hands today...  It is a beautiful machine but so bloody expensive!  With all the kit attached I was surprised on how heavy it was.  I suppose the weight will give it more wind flying capabilities.  I had the P4 and now fly a P4 P with the new camera.  It really delivers great footage.  I really want a I2 with X5S camera - really!  But the question is will the footage be (so) much better than the P4 P?  It is not about camera upgrade ability  or more stable in higher winds or dual battery redundancy...  the question is all about high quality video footage.  Will the I2 with X5S be so much better taking into account the huge hike in price....     ( I'm not a pro - I'm a normal droner!)
2017-1-6
Use props
JerryLaurence
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21988 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

JWC P4 P Posted at 2017-1-6 07:15
This is the $1MIL question.  I had the Inspire 2 in my hands today...  It is a beautiful machine but so bloody expensive!  With all the kit attached I was surprised on how heavy it was.  I suppose the weight will give it more wind flying capabilities.  I had the P4 and now fly a P4 P with the new camera.  It really delivers great footage.  I really want a I2 with X5S camera - really!  But the question is will the footage be (so) much better than the P4 P?  It is not about camera upgrade ability  or more stable in higher winds or dual battery redundancy...  the question is all about high quality video footage.  Will the I2 with X5S be so much better taking into account the huge hike in price....     ( I'm not a pro - I'm a normal droner!)

Yes, I'm thinking the same. Also, in H.264/265 mode, will the X5S be significantly better than the X4S, apart from the ability to change lenses?
2017-1-6
Use props
PinpointMapping
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5345105 ft
  • >>>
United States

I own an Inspire 1 and now a P4P (and a Sensefly eBee Fixedwing), and opted for the Phantom 4 Pro over an Inspire 2 because of cost of flight time.  You have to maintain 2 batteries for less flight time then I can get from 1 P4P  on 1 Battery.  In addition to the fact that since the P4P is so much smaller, it gives me an alternative for projects where the Inspire is to big.  The Camera quality between X4S and P4P is minimal (I primarily am taking photos for purpose of Pix4D Photogrammetry projects), and I haven't really used the Dual Operator setup as much as I originally anticipated.  If I was more focused on Video, the Inspire 2 would be better, but for mapping with the camera pointed down, Props in view aren't an issue.  Currently the Thermal Cameras XT won't work on an Inspire 2 either, so no rush to upgrade until they get more sensors for the 2.
2017-1-6
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

PinpointMapping Posted at 2017-1-6 14:05
I own an Inspire 1 and now a P4P (and a Sensefly eBee Fixedwing), and opted for the Phantom 4 Pro over an Inspire 2 because of cost of flight time.  You have to maintain 2 batteries for less flight time then I can get from 1 P4P  on 1 Battery.  In addition to the fact that since the P4P is so much smaller, it gives me an alternative for projects where the Inspire is to big.  The Camera quality between X4S and P4P is minimal (I primarily am taking photos for purpose of Pix4D Photogrammetry projects), and I haven't really used the Dual Operator setup as much as I originally anticipated.  If I was more focused on Video, the Inspire 2 would be better, but for mapping with the camera pointed down, Props in view aren't an issue.  Currently the Thermal Cameras XT won't work on an Inspire 2 either, so no rush to upgrade until they get more sensors for the 2.

If you are using the craft for mapping stick to the P4P for all the reasons you mention.

Something people don't mention is that the visual / cognitive load dealing with an I2 is much higher because of the added degrees of freedom. You have a yaw axis for the camera to consider and toggling between yaw and pitch control. The flexibility of yawing the camera while keeping the aircraft moving straight ahead can be disorienting. The FPV camera helps but you have to monitor another channel of info. Then you have options with focal length / zoom on the camera. And to monitor if you have enough space on the SSD and SD card....

I mean you can go fully auto, use the intelligent flight modes, activate obstacle detection and shut your brain down but then why go to the trouble of cost, weight, more parts and options?

The P4P is like, toss it into a sack and walk, shoot and go home. The I2 is a great bird but unless you do this for a living day in day out, perhaps has too much on board.
2017-1-7
Use props
JWC P4 P
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8176 ft
South Africa

"The P4P is like, toss it into a sack and walk, shoot and go home. The I2 is a great bird but unless you do this for a living day in day out, perhaps has too much on board."

So, very, very true....  but how to get this into my skull....  I'm like an alcoholic in denial.  I know this!  It is true!  But please, please....  do not tell me this because I do not want to hear this!  I know what's going to happen!  SOMEONE PLEASE    H E L P   ME!!
2017-1-7
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-1-7 03:56
If you are using the craft for mapping stick to the P4P for all the reasons you mention.

Something people don't mention is that the visual / cognitive load dealing with an I2 is much higher because of the added degrees of freedom. You have a yaw axis for the camera to consider and toggling between yaw and pitch control. The flexibility of yawing the camera while keeping the aircraft moving straight ahead can be disorienting. The FPV camera helps but you have to monitor another channel of info. Then you have options with focal length / zoom on the camera. And to monitor if you have enough space on the SSD and SD card....

MTC
I agree with you but, I would like to have the Inspire 2 because of all the redundancy. I like the idea of a extra battery on board in case of failure, dual IMU, compass etc. When you are flying over water or in the mountains in harms way having a better since of security with backup systems.  I have my Mavic Pro for the quick and easy drone   Love that thing.

Rich
2017-1-7
Use props
Mike-the-cat
lvl.4
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-1-7 11:25
MTC
I agree with you but, I would like to have the Inspire 2 because of all the redundancy. I like the idea of a extra battery on board in case of failure, dual IMU, compass etc. When you are flying over water or in the mountains in harms way having a better since of security with backup systems.  I have my Mavic Pro for the quick and easy drone   Love that thing.

The P4P has dual IMU and compasses as well. You can be totally disoriented and it has 360 degree collision avoidance and the new collision avoiding smart RTH mechanism as well.

IMO batteries don't suddenly fail if one follows the prescribed usage instructions (fresh, fully charged, adequately warm). Similarly ESCs very rarely fail under normal load conditions and I think in the new gen, they give lots of extra leeway for current handling.

I think the battery redundancy feature in the I2 is mainly a marketing lever. TB 48s make it a pain to travel with because they are over the 100 Wh IATA limit. They had to make the Inspire series easier to transport.  If you need to travel solo, you can't legally carry more than 2 TB 48's on board whereas with TB50's there's no limit by present rules.

So yeah, if cash is not an issue, the I2 is great but hey, that's a heavy rig to lug round compared to either Mavic / P4P for surveying purposes.
2017-1-7
Use props
fans7c8fad63
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1225108 ft
United States

I've seen some concerns about the I2 for solo operators, namely that the camera controls are devilishly difficult to manipulate while also flying and that dual operator flight is really the only option for a seamless cinematic shoot. For that reason alone I'd go with the P4P. Also, concerns about prop interference are pretty much resolved with the introduction of the P4P's mechanical shutter and the picture/video quality itself (particularly if you're reasonably comfortable with manual settings) is probably more than adequate for 95% of operators. Then there's flight time, which according to every I2 owner I know is around 19-20 minutes even in ideal conditions with the X5S, and maybe another minute or two with the X4S - better than the I1, but far short of what DJI advertises.

Don't get me wrong, the I2 is a gorgeous, powerful, game-changing platform, but is it what people outside of serious professional cinematography or photography need? Probably not. If there were payload options (short of $8K+ cameras like Flir and the Z30) making it a more flexible sUAS for other commercial applications like agriculture or inspection then it would probably supplant the Matrice 100 in those spaces, but it doesn't appear that DJI is interested in going that route as they did with the I1.
2017-3-30
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
Second Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States

I would keep your P4 as a backup, if your budget allows, and get the Inspire 2 when you can. I wish I had kept my P4. The P4P is a nice bird but the gimbal issues (random jerking, tilt, sideways flight vibrations) were not present in my P4 (probably due to the smaller/lighter camera) and are not present in the Inspire 2 (much sturdier aircraft and stronger gimbal). I had to return my P4P and the replacement works better but still has the gimbal tilt issue and vibration when flying sideways at cruise speed. I realize that everyone's situation is different but my 2-cents worth is to go with the Inspire 2/X4S and upgrade the camera later if you want more out of it.
2017-3-31
Use props
Jaza
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21220 ft
United Kingdom

This is an interesting read, and something I am thinking about right now.
I had a P4P, but had a power failure over water. It dropped into the sea and was lost, weather was fine. Battery at 80% before failure.
The battery issue is now an issue to me, and maybe something worth thinking more about...
On the other hand, if things do go wrong (again) the Inspire 2 is much more of a loss!
2018-3-26
Use props
Linuxglobal
lvl.3
Flight distance : 380121 ft
Canada

Jaza Posted at 2018-3-26 06:57
This is an interesting read, and something I am thinking about right now.
I had a P4P, but had a power failure over water. It dropped into the sea and was lost, weather was fine. Battery at 80% before failure.
The battery issue is now an issue to me, and maybe something worth thinking more about...

the i2 has a redundancy battery system so it would allow it to run on one battery and avoid a water diving

I think the discussion is over now, but essentially the I2 is the top of the line for consumer units.
The props being out of the shot at high speed is a huge plus for me chasing high speed vehicles.
Dual cameras, ability to upgrade, and a very sexy drone makes it a must have over the very affordable p4p.

The p4p is a great drone but its a very iconic image, the i2 is the ferrari of drones and the price-tag to match.
2018-6-14
Use props
Mike9129
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4112812 ft
Ireland

Ive the inspire 2 with the x5s (and ill compare it to what ive seen with my cousin who has a p3p, which would have a lot of the same traits as the p4p)

pros:
-Stable
-Fast
-lens changing so you can use different focal lengths (a massive advantage for video more than stills i think, you can achieve very different feels to the video with differnt focal lengths)
-good in high wind
-props are always out of shot
-battery life is good (nearly 20mins)
-raw & prores video recording
-ability to use dual operators for more complex shots (a big one to get some of the finniky shots when your in tight spaces like flying indoors between racking)

cons:
-price (all in it set me back nearly €10,000)
-complexity (you have a lot more to keep an eye on - direction of flight vs direction of the camera is often enough to make things very tricky, without ever taking into account keeping an eye on your framing and exposure etc)
-setup time (when you arrive somewhere and you have the drone in the case, it takes a few minutes to get everything attached and ready to go. its not a really long time, but its longer than a phantom by a good bit)
-travel - the drone is physically bigger, trying to pack it with you and bring it to locations becomes a big job. or bringing it abroad is a nightmare as well
-batteries - i think this could be the biggest con, you have to buy them in pairs. thatll set you back over 300 quid per set. to gain an extra 20mins of flying ( i have 7 sets at this stage)
and you will need at least an extra pair to get any satisfaction of of flying the thing really

the phantoms advantages that ive seen
-lightweight
-easy to transport
-stable
-very good in high wind for its size
-battery life
-fast setup
-batteries charge fairly fast to full from even a car charger to keep you flying when your on a trip

cons
-props in shot when flying at a good speed or into a headwind (makes a difference to video only really, you shouldnt have this problem if your taking photos as you wont be moving)
-fixed camera and not able to change lens'

honestly, the phantoms have a lot going for them, if i wasnt flying semi-professionally, id probably buy a phantom over the inspire 2 purely due to ease of use. if you do want the top quality of everything tho, the inspire 2 just has features by design that the p4p (or any phantom) cannot match.

horses for courses and all that.
2018-6-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules