DJI Release Inspire 1 Battery Heater & Battery Insulation Sticker
10557 38 2015-2-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

DJI ReleaseInspire 1 Battery Heater & Battery Insulation Sticker

The performance of your Inspire 1’s Intelligent Flight Battery is subject to environmental factors. Low temperature will have adverse effect on the performance of Inspire 1 Intelligent Flight Battery. The Inspire 1 Battery Heater helps to exert the optimum battery performance by heating the battery to a more suitable temperature (above 5˚C) before flight, enable theusers flying their Inspire 1 in a more reliable way.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Specifications:
Recommended Usage Temperature:  -20˚C to 5˚C
Heating Range:  30˚C±5˚C
Power:  below 41.5W
Input Voltage:  18-26.1V, DC
Input Amperage:  below 1.6A
Dimension:  62mm x 99mm x 115mm

Using the Battery Heater:
1.  Ensure the battery is fully charged and powered off. Insert the battery into the Battery Heater compartment.

113950qyplaf5el8lxllo8.png

2.  Turn the battery on and allow it to warm for 10-15 minutes*. Do not leave the battery unattended for extended period of time.

4.png
3.  Turn the battery off and leave it in the Battery Heater for an additional 5 minutes*. TheIntelligent Flight Battery is now ready for use.

113951vgotcy888ykcymk5.png

*Actual operation time is subject to environment temperature. Longer or shorter times maybe required.

Notice:
A3-stage overheat protection mechanism has been incorporated into the Battery Heater’s design to prevent the battery from reaching temperatures that exceed its design parameters. To ensure that the battery does not overheat, the heater will be automatically deactivated at temperatures exceeding 30˚C,with additional failsafe barriers in place at 50˚C and 98˚C.

Inspire TB47&TB48 Battery Insulation Sticker:
Apply the insulation sticker to the Intelligent Flight Battery when environmental temperatures are lower than 5˚C and removethe sticker when environmental temperatures exceed 5˚C.

8.png

9.png

2015-2-11
Use props
DJI-ZT
lvl.3
Flight distance : 411411 ft
Hong Kong

The heater is a great accessory!

https://store.dji.com/product/inspire-battery-heater
2015-2-11
Use props
GB44
lvl.4
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Autumn,

Could these stickers be capable of being attached with velcro?  I get the feeling that when you take these off in warmer temperatures the adhesion will not be there to re-fix again.  Some forum members have also reported that you don't get any additional stickers when purchasing additional batteries, so perhaps a different method or re-think may be required.

Something that once fixed can be left insitu and suitable for cold and warm climates.  Just thinking aloud !!
2015-2-12
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-12 17:19
Autumn,

Could these stickers be capable of being attached with velcro?  I get the feeling that whe ...

I got you.
Will talk about that.
2015-2-12
Use props
MainlineAerial
New

United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-2-12 17:19
Autumn,

Could these stickers be capable of being attached with velcro?  I get the feeling that whe ...

Valid point I raised under my cold weather discussion. Used once in Canada on vacation, hard to get off and are damaged already.
2015-2-12
Use props
ambambcopter.bt
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-2-12 17:42
I got you.
Will talk about that.

Why not have some form of insulation inserts that block the openings in the fuselage.
They could click in place.
That way the battery wouldn't be open to the elements or any draft from the props.
And would be removable and re-usable.
2015-2-12
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Just bought two battery warmers I was hoping to see this accessory show up eventually
2015-2-12
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6690 ft
United States

Might sound like a stupid question if I have to turn the battery one for 10-15 minutes and then off for another 5. How much of the power did the battery loose? That battery is going to cool down while flying anyway and shorten it's flight anyway. Just trying to learn more about it as here in Ohio its still 20 outside lol....

Mike
2015-2-12
Use props
cmontisano
lvl.4

United States

svencool Posted at 2015-2-13 05:08
Might sound like a stupid question if I have to turn the battery one for 10-15 minutes and then off  ...

I was going to ask the same question?
2015-2-12
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

That lil heater wont draw much if any power from the battery.
2015-2-12
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-13 05:34
That lil heater wont draw much if any power from the battery.

You say you got 2 of them, Have they worked out good for you then?

Mike
2015-2-12
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

svencool Posted at 2015-2-13 05:08
Might sound like a stupid question if I have to turn the battery one for 10-15 minutes and then off  ...

The cold definetly affects a Battery of any type. This is a good question as to the Current drain. The Heater will have to drain the Battery quite a bit. If you can afford it you may want to use a spare Battery to do the heating and once the other Battery is warmed up use it for flight.
2015-2-12
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

In my climate its necessary  Sven makes sense as I have done this with Ni cads for security systems its a small trickle draw from the Battery and worth the 20.00 all day long to have in your flight arsenal.

Chemical hand heaters packets work well out in the field as well .
Winters in the USA in the Midwest are brutal and never seem to end now days.

This is why I flight tested each battery to drain as to assure the Battery's where good from China.
Also what temps caused faster discharge?
This is when a laser temp probe comes in handy .

I found anything under 30 degrees on my phantom v2+ and inspire 1 discharges the battery 10- 15% faster.
Over 38 degrees I have seen little change in maintaining a charge.
Now take into account wind chill and all bets are off.

This Battery heater is a must have for flying in weather 40-45 degree and below temps as a flying safe guard IMO.
2015-2-12
Use props
vonbaron1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42014 ft
  • >>>
United States

Isn't this like pouring gas under your car motor to get it started and go to town and then half way into town you run out of gas.  Heating the battery is good but not from its own power source.  Just my thoughts
2015-2-12
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

NO not like pouring gas on a engine ...lol

Serious minimal draw if any and for a short time frame .This is quite standard when dealing with HI cap sealed battery's like this environment is a crucial key to over come for the preservation of the Batt..
Preservation of the battery means no free falls to the pavement below hopefully and only used if in inclement weather.
Kudo's to DJI for making this accessory available in a very timely manner.
Lots of variables to consider flying this dingus ..I take little risk when so much $$ is invested in this new inspire of mine god knows the preflight check list is long enough.
2015-2-12
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

I agree from what I've heard it does make sense and I will do more research for myself like everyone here should! It's my 3k so do with it as you will Thanks Colonel!!!!

MIke
2015-2-12
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

when I saw this new product I knew DJi was being proactive on our behalf.

Mike , 3k is a lot of Vegas cabbage 20 bucks is so worth the safe flight if weather is a bit on the funk..

Keep in mind the prop wash alone makes for about a 10 degree temp drop if not more via wind-chill  no matter the outside ambient temp .
Flying in 30 degree weather with no wind and prop wash will equate to about 20 degrees...that's a danger issue for sure one may not calculate into the fly factor on a unseasonable day..

joys of living in a frozen hell hole...lol

Flight list grow daily

Mike
2015-2-12
Use props
MarkNJ
lvl.2

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-13 11:43
Mike , 3k is a lot of Vegas cabbage  20 bucks is so worth the safe flight if weather is a bit on t ...

Wind chill only affects how a person perceives temperature. It's not capable of actually lowering the temperature below ambient. In other words, if it's 20 degrees out, no amount of wind or prop wash will lower the Inspire below 20 degrees. It CAN speed how quickly an object will reach ambient, but once it hits that level, it'll never go lower.

In this specific case, it may cool the batteries to ambient faster, but we don't have to worry about the batteries ever getting colder than that.
2015-2-12
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

MarkNJ Posted at 2015-2-13 15:08
Wind chill only affects how a person perceives temperature. It's not capable of actually lowering  ...

Makes total sense I think I will bag flying in weather under 35 degrees no matter what .
Most cameras crap out at 32-20 degrees anywho don't wanna be the Ice station Zebra beta tester.

Do you think the forced cold air would lower battery temp faster?
I do notice a massive loss in lift during cold weather flying verses warmer weather and with that being said I'm sure someone will fly in low temps with ease..I have seen Battery's explode due to low temp lets hope no one gets curious and has a mishap. Im hating this cold..lol
With this  Battery is that possible Mark?
Im taking baby steps is all very cautious with this investment.
2015-2-12
Use props
MarkNJ
lvl.2

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-13 15:59
Makes total sense  I think I will bag flying in weather under 35 degrees no matter what .
Most c ...

Yeah, I think your hands will lock up before the Inspire does.

Wind speed could lower the battery temperature faster, yes, but never below the actual outside temperature. At really low temperatures, it's not going to make much of a difference. (Especially with those sticker covers DJI is providing for lower temperature. They're insulating the actual battery from the wind.)

In terms of loss of lift, ironically, colder weather makes it easier for aerodynamic lift. All things equal (like barometric pressure), colder air is more dense. The propellers have more air molecules to push and create lift.

For this reason, when flying (for example) a Cessna 172 on a cold day, it "pops off" the runway much quicker. On a hot day, it tends to be a little more sluggish. There's a tangible difference.

I'm wondering if your observation of lost of lift is related to the battery power? Or some other mechanical issue where the cold in diminishing the performance of one of the parts? I really don't know because the could should be increasing performance.

In terms of batteries exploding in the cold, I don't think so, if they're not damaged/punctured. They'll just be less efficient. They like to be warm, but not HOT (like over 150F hot). I suppose a sudden change in temperature from freezing to hot could be an issue, but I don't know specifically?
2015-2-13
Use props
michael-dicker.
lvl.2
Flight distance : 5134951 ft
Germany

*The lipos won't  cool down during flight, draining it inflight keeps the core warm
*preheating lipos to 35degree Celsius
*use Isolation to keep temperature

2015-2-13
Use props
svencool
lvl.4
United States

Is DJI the only place to by these Battery Heaters?

Mike
2015-2-13
Use props
armyturtle
lvl.1

United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-13 08:01
NO not like pouring gas on a engine ...lol

Serious minimal draw if any and for a short time frame . ...
Kudo's to DJI for making this accessory available in a very timely manner.

Kudo's?  I'd think it a tad more important to have SPARE PROPELLARS available for purchase before this crap. Like many have pointed out, hand warmers would do this trick just fine. What I cannot do however is fashion my own propellars should I need extra...

This isn't meant to help you out at all - it's a gimmick to make more money. Get the ESSENTIALS out DJI. Quit screwin' around!
2015-2-13
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MarkNJ Posted at 2015-2-13 15:08
Wind chill only affects how a person perceives temperature. It's not capable of actually lowering  ...

I would also be concerned as to the affect of the components. The very cold not only drags the Battery down. The electronic components are also affected by extreme cold. I have no idea as to what DJI states their temp ratings are. I do know that extreme temps, plus or minus will cause havoc with the electronics both in the Quad and Controller. It is to cold out to have fun flying, minus one  here in RI.
2015-2-13
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-2-13 04:43
Just bought two battery warmers I was hoping to see this accessory show up eventually

What did you find Colonel?
2015-2-13
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

When flying in the cold with regular lipos we put them in a cooler with a heated rice bag or two.  It keeps them warm for quite a while.  You could do the same with the Inspire lipos.
2015-2-13
Use props
MarkNJ
lvl.2

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-14 11:07
I would also be concerned as to the affect of the components. The very cold not only drags the Bat ...

Oh absolutely. There's still an "operating range" for the vehicle. DJI's manual lists the minimum being -10C (or 14F). I was just commenting that wind chill isn't capable of lowering below ambient temperature... and that we shouldn't be worried about having to incorporate windchill into our pre-flight checklist... unless we're talking about our own personal comfort. ;)
2015-2-13
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

I would say from all 5 test flights at differing temps with the most extreme being 20 degrees. I see no reason to chance it as we have more than structural concerns as of late.
My luck an arm would snap off ...

Mark, funny you say that as the craft seemed to be sluggish compared to a test flight on a rare 40 degree plus day a week or so ago. I thought the colder the more lift but with what I was seeing I was questioning that.
It seemed to Bob in elevation just a tad more so than other flights I wonder if it was due to the cold? Or a component not operating at full capacity due to the extremes know.
  I calibrated the compass and IMU as well  right before the flight in question.
Is the IMU susceptible to the temps like on the phantoms requiring almost 5 mins to warm up on such days??
Checked the battery's and log data all looked good except the one defective battery I did sniff out during testing.
Now with DJI says the minimum op temp to be 14F Personally I don't think I trust that research data when we have so many issues with the Op firmware.

Bad memories of exploding ni cads on security systems in extreme's locals has me a bit skiddish .
Had several customers we had a heat wrap on the battery's but that's a decade or so back now.
Glad to hear this new tech stuff has capacity in many environment's.
2015-2-14
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

rodger Posted at 2015-2-14 11:09
What did you find Colonel?

Im rolling a test flight this week once it warms up over 5 degrees..lol
30F  may be  my threshold for trusting this crafts flight worthiness 20 bucks for a battery heater that's chump hang for piece of mind if one has to fly in unsavory conditions.
2015-2-14
Use props
rodger
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I am to old for these crummy temps of late in Rhode Island. And this darn snow that won't go away. Another foot today. I may get a chance to fly in a year or two, we are starting to look like Antartica and with the same temps. And the thought of the heating cost this month, there goes my second Quad.
2015-2-15
Use props
cziakas
lvl.3

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-2-14 12:17
When flying in the cold with regular lipos we put them in a cooler with a heated rice bag or two.  I ...

Forgive me but I didn't see a definitive answer to my question, or i missed the thread, so I am going to ask it.

Are cold batteries a concern initially, before a flight and that is why they need to be warm? Or during flight and why the stickers are required?

I would think that as soon as you start using the drone  the battery warms up and there should be a need for stickers.
2015-6-4
Use props
starship
lvl.4

United States

I got to thinking about the stickers and came up with an alternative.  Why not make an insulating thermal wrap for the battery cage on the Inspire itself, instead of on the battery.  Seems to me it would be easy to do.  

Note to DJI-Autumn:  If you like that idea, you can send me some free stuff {:3_41:}
2015-6-4
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

cziakas@gmail.c Posted at 2015-6-4 18:18
Forgive me but I didn't see a definitive answer to my question, or i missed the thread, so I am go ...

If it is truly cold and you are going to be out in the field for a number of hours, we always keep them warm in a insulated container with a rice bag or two to keep them warm.  Batteries perform better if they are warm rather than cold.  Have you noticed that they are warm when you discharge them.  If you have to warm the battery in the craft by discharging it, it is more inefficient.  DJI sells their battery warmers that use the current from the battery to provide heat to keep it warm.  I would still keep them in a insulated container.  Now that it is summer in Las Vegas I have the opposite problem.  I have to keep my display devices refrigerated between flights because I get thermal shut downs when the temps get over 95F.  
2015-6-4
Use props
Machoman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1036959 ft
Austria

How many % will the battery loose when usind the heater?

What if instead just turning on the plane before takeoff 10 minutes?

2015-10-10
Use props
mastereagle88
New

Norway

Was  just in the chat whit dji about the heater and the insulation stickers. Apparently you run the risk of overheat the  battery by running both. Anyone have a good idea for me on what is best to use? I saw the bad of rice in a cooler and that's smart, but since I live in Norway and 5 of 12 months are below 5℃ I need to find a solution. Cooler and stickers when it is too cold? Or just heater. I have both and 4 battery's.
2015-11-30
Use props
Michael M
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1984898 ft
Canada

Would it be safe to cut the stickers to fit a p3 battery?
2015-11-30
Use props
mancuso_inc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39708 ft
United States

MarkNJ Posted at 2015-2-13 12:21
Yeah, I think your hands will lock up before the Inspire does.

Wind speed could lower the battery temperature faster, yes, but never below the actual outside temperature. At really low temperatures, it's not going to make much of a difference. (Especially with those sticker covers DJI is providing for lower temperature. They're insulating the actual battery from the wind.)

If someone's at sea level and it's cold, presumably the performance would increase. But for those of us flying at high altitude, the air is much thinner so we're going to require more thrust to perform, correct?
2018-1-12
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

mancuso_inc Posted at 2018-1-12 14:09
If someone's at sea level and it's cold, presumably the performance would increase. But for those of us flying at high altitude, the air is much thinner so we're going to require more thrust to perform, correct?

Yes and that is where the 60 pitch props help.
2018-1-12
Use props
mancuso_inc
lvl.2
Flight distance : 39708 ft
United States

I used the battery warmer in Mammoth Lakes in February recently, and it had very minimal effect on the battery life. It was a massive advantage to have them warmed before going up, absolutely worth the outlay before going into cold weather in my opinion...
2018-3-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules